5.0 out of 5 stars Great Deal on AA Nickel Metal Hydride Charger & Batteries
Published on November 13, 2007 by W. Dickson

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad charger for the money.
Published on May 19, 2004 by Keith Blodgett

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad charger for the money., May 19, 2004
This review is from: DigiPower DPS-3000+ 3-Hour AA/AAA Rechargeable Battery Kit with 4 AA 2700 mAh Batteries and Car Charger (Electronics)
After a couple bad experiences with DigiPower and their battery chargers they sent me the DPS-3000+ as a replacement for my older DPS-1000 unit. This item came with four (4) 2300 mAh AA NiMH batteries. A nice break from their older chargers this one comes with an adapter and a nice long power cable so you no longer need to find a free wall outlet to completely cover with your charger. The unit will charge either AA or AAA batteries and either two (2) or four (4) at a time. It also features an automatic trickle charge feature so batteries remain 'topped off' with no danger of over charging. It's relatively speedy at charging batteries. It is compact enough to fit on the corner of your desk or anywhere convenient. And it doesn't get all that hot like their older chargers used to. I keep two batteries 'fresh' in the charger and two batteries in my camera at all times and it seems to work well for me. All in all it's a good charger for the money. Although DigiPower's customer support leaves something to be desired (long contact delays, misread emails, etc.) they're willing to back their products fully.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Deal on AA Nickel Metal Hydride Charger & Batteries, November 13, 2007
W. Dickson (San Jose, CA USA) - See all my reviews
These were one of those items on the side of the page that caught my eye. The 4 AAs are 2700 milli-amp-hours (mah) which is the highest capacity I've seen. Duracell NiMH in AA are 1800 mah, for comparison. The charger is quite nice as well, with a 2 or 4 battery selector switch, a wall charger, and a mobile adapter for your car. I'd say either the batteries or the charger are both worth the price, so I bought 4 of them for my model helicopters.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible product - stay away from it, May 5, 2008
I bought one of those kits bundled with my new Flip camcorder and the batteries don't last more than 15 minutes (fully charged). I don't understand why Amazon recommends the bundle. My final opinion: stay away from this product!

1.0 out of 5 stars Out of the box it doesn't work, March 6, 2007
I purchased this 2 weeks ago. It does not work. I put the batteries in the charger. The red "charging" light came on for about 15 minutes, then it went off. The green "fully charged" light never came on. I installed the batteries in my digital camera (my camera takes 2 of the AA). I took 4 pictures and the battery low indicator came on. I tried the batteries in my friend's digital camera (different make and model), same thing, with any/all of the batteries. I tried charging the batteries again, and again. Same thing every time --- charging light comes on for less than 20 minutes, then goes off, and the fully charged light never comes on. The batteries do not get anywhere near a full charge, and the batteries get very, very hot while in the charger. It appears to be of questionable quality. I will be returning it and asking for a refund. I do not recommend the product.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT product, January 6, 2007
W. Newton (Newport News, VA) - See all my reviews
Batteries really do charge quickly and keep a charge for a long period of time. Originally purchased as "emergency" batteries for my camera, I found that the batteries lasted as long or longer than the non-rechargables I used, giving a lot of flexibility in my battery options.

1.0 out of 5 stars Get another brand, September 7, 2007
The construction of the charger allows it to lose connection with the batteries= no charge. It overcharged/heated the included batteries to over 140F- I couldn't even handle them bare handed. It is, in my opinion, a piece of junk. I would not buy one of these... I should've listened to the other reviews.

1.0 out of 5 stars Leaky Batteries, July 6, 2010
Rapid Charger is a little big to be travel portable in an age where carry on space is at a premium. However, the biggest problem is the batteries themselves started leaking within 6 months of purchase. This doesn't create confidence in the product. i wouldn't buy it again.

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't work for me, October 1, 2007
The charger and/or batteries are obviously defective on the unit I received.
The green "charged" light comes on even when there is no charge in the
batteries. Leaving the batteries in the charger for as long as a week seems
to make no difference - the batteries will charge up enough for about 3 shots
in my digital camera, and then - nothing. This seems to be a very hit-or-
miss product, based on other reviews.

5.0 out of 5 stars Digipower 3000+ review, January 27, 2007
I give 5 star to this charger.It is fast.Does the job if you use it in the USA.However inspite of some misleading information about using overseas this came from Amazon with a wall plug adapter that can only be used in the USA.On the manufacturer's web site a mention is made of DPS-3000e but no other details. The information sheet that came with the model I got mentions specification for AC adapter "AC 120V/AC239V/AC220V, 50-60Hz".HOWEVER the adapter I got can only be used with 120V AC 60HZ.So I am disappointed because I had been led to beleive this item will work abroad. SO be warned if you are planning to use it abroad at AC 220V 50Hz better look for another unit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product, the charger has been working for almost 5 years, November 19, 2009
I like this product.

I bought the DigiPower DPS-3000+ back in early 2005 when my kids bought me a Canon A95 point and shoot camera. The A95 eats AA, 4 at a time. I have 7 sets of 4 each to feed the A95 and the mess of things I have that love my 20+ AA and a dozen or so of AAA rechargeables. The DPS-3000 worked the first time and every time I have asked it. I have had some batteries die during this time, but the DPS-3000 made finding the bad one easily by the behavior of the LEDs. The included DigiPower batteries were joined early on by three more sets of 4 and all have performed well. I also have several sets of higher rated Duracell 2650mAh batteries which work better in high demand photo flash units. Most of the AAA batteries are Duracell 1000 mAh rated units. There are other batteries with different ratings in my battery bags, and they all seem happy in this charger. [In case you don't know, mAh is a rating of how much electricity can be stored in the battery when fully charged and available to power stuff. The bigger the number, the more power the battery can deliver.]

This brings me to the answer of one of the big questions I had when I bought this DPS-3000: Can you use batteries other than the included ones?? YES! As I have noted, several brands, several ratings can be used with this charger. Now, I think you must always use batteries of the same brand and rating together at all the time. You have seen a thousand warnings about keeping alkaline batteries together. The first thing I do when i buy some batteries is label them with a letter for the set, and then number each of the batteries. This lets me keep the sets together when I use them and when I charge them. I think this is a part of my success. And it helps to spot a weak battery or set of batteries.

Comments on other reviews--
This product has been around a long time and over 50 reviews. The reviews tend to be love or hate, and the ratings show this clumping about high rating or poor ratings. It is hard to say if this is because of the owners use habits with the unit, or with the units themselves (obviously some were dead on arrival and never worked...) But note the positive words about customer support (I have had no need to contact DigiPower's customer service) indicates it is good or even great. Its hard to figure out the splitting of ratings. I certainly do not have doubts about DigiPower product quality, even with the failure of some units. It seems they are dead on arrival or excellent.

Some nice features I liked: both house (115v) and automobile (12v) power adapters with long plug wires are provided as are four powerful batteries- not the highest rated, but better than most and very serviceable. The unit is small, just larger than 4 AA's side by side. It is simple to operate: First disconnect power by unplugging the power wire into the unit. Set the switch for either 2 or 4 cells. It will do 2 AA or 2 AAA when the selector is on "2" and 4 AA when the selector is on 4. It will not charge 4 AAA at once. The batteries go in just by laying them in the tray that has clearly marked holders. Check that number of cells switch again, and plug in the power. A red LED comes on if all is right. After a while, the green LED comes on, and the batteries are ready to go make music, photos, lights, or whatever. Unplug the power, and pop the batteries out. Very intuitive, and obvious. From my experience the unit gets warm, the batteries get warm, but neither get hot. Small size puts it in the end zipper compartment on my camera bag.

I like it, it works every time. Convenient. Versatile. What more could I ask for? A way to charge 3 batteries at the same time. Since 3 cells produce current at a voltage that is nice to electronic stuff, I seem to be forever using 3 battery at a time, Otherwise, its as good as it can be.

I'll buy another when needed.