on August 4, 2009
Verified Purchase
I see that in the negative ratings here the people simply misunderstood what these are for. They are to move your camera in CLOSER to the subject and simulate a macro lens. What they do is essentially act as a magnifying glass. And like one, you need to move it in and out till you find the appropriate distance for it to work properly. This is not a tele-converter.

I find they work quite well. I have had macro lenses in which the subject takes up the sensor, a 1:1 ratio. These however allow for the subject to assault the sensor. Instead of life size these make for race of super giant monster sized. Ultra macro can be achieved with the small expenditure of fifteen bucks.

I find there is no outstanding vignetting or aberrations. At the highest magnifications there is an extremely shallow depth of field, so be sure you are prepared to work with that if you plan on working in those types of magnification.

Overall a great product, and with macro lenses starting at $500, I encourage you to sacrifice just a little of that macro lens fund to just give these a try and see if you can't go spend that extra money saved up on a hot date, camera geek.
1111 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 13, 2009
These are a great buy. You can't beat the price for added flexibility. They attach easily and do their job (magnifying the image) really well.

Couple of things to mention- one is that of course, once these are attached to the lens one has to use manual focus. That could be a problem for folks trying to shoot things that move quickly. Additionally, the DOF narrows significantly with the stronger magnifications. This could be a problem if you're shooting insects. Neither of these issues have to do with this manufacturer nor the vendor, but rather limitations of the product itself.

For me though, these diopters work extremely well for my purposes (artistic, abstract photography and flower macros.) I find the functionality to be excellent. My only complaint, and considering what I got for the price, it's a small complaint, is about the packaging. Personally, I would prefer a case with non-scratch surfaces, but the folding, wallet design is a good one. All in all, an excellent product and a great value for the money.
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 28, 2008
I use these to take picture of jewelry for an auction company and in a studio setting and they turn out wonderful. It is a little harder especially with +10 to shoot insects in nature as the DOF is so small you could focus on the grasshopper's body and the legs will be out of focus. Be sure to set a decent aperture.
It takes a lot of time to get a good picture but it is possible. No trouble with the other magnifications. (+1 +2 +4) I generally use the Canon 50mm f1.4 with this lens and it works well. perhaps a lens with a real zoom would work better. Cheap and worth it.
on February 8, 2010
Verified Purchase
Some time ago, I had a 52mm +10 closeup I'd purchased from a local Wolf Camera. Was a great little filter to experiment with. I sold the camera and lenses/filters I had when I upgraded to a D80 w/ Nikon 18-200 lens, and never did find a 72mm +10 filter until I saw this set on Amazon. But I was hesitant due to the price. I paid $30 for the one 52mm +10 filter, and here are 4 filters, including a +10, for less than $15 total? Recently sold the 18-200mm lens, and got a couple Sigma lenses (18-50 and 70-300), and finally caved and added the 58mm versions of these filters. I figured as cheap as they were, even if they were pure crap, it wouldn't be a big loss.

What I've found is the +10 in this set produces far less distortion at the edges than the one I got from Wolf. However, the image is very hazy. It's easily fixable with some contrast boost, so it's only a minor annoyance (and the reason I went with 4 instead of 5 stars).

The best way to use these filters is to put them on your longest lens for maximum effect, set your lens to manual focus @ infinity, and get close to whatever your taking a picture of. REAL close. With the 70-300 @ 300mm and the +10 filter I can get within ~2 inches of my subject. Auto-focus will not work, don't even try. Instead, keep the lens at infinity, and physically move your lens closer or farther from the subject to bring it into focus. The depth of field is practically non-existent at this magnification, so make your movements very slow, and very shallow. Your pictures will also greatly benefit from a lot of light, ideally you'll use a ring flash, or set a slave flash to fire when you snap your shot. On-board flash may cause more problems than it's worth, and will likely produce a shadow from your lens. A hot-show flash will help some, but you really want the light pointing at your subject, and that's just too difficult when it's sitting back next to your face.
on July 14, 2011
Verified Purchase
These filters are often maligned by many macro snobs, and indeed they are not the best solution to obtaining the closeups of your dreams. However, for a very small investment they can help you get some closeup macro-like (not true 1:1) shots that you just wouldn't otherwise achieve with your stock lens.

Quick rundown on HOW to use these. Remove any existing filters (ie the UV filter that most everyone has). Attach closeup filters. If stacking, attach the largest number first and work downwards. You can attach all 4 if you like. Personally, I only use the +10 or +4 or both combined. Stacking the +2 and +1 doesn't seem to justify the loss in light and potential for aberrations for the relative small amount of magnification you receive. You can then put any color/UV filters at the end of the chain. **NOTE the stock UV filter that came with my Canon EOS does not correctly fit on top of these closeup filters, so I don't use it with them.

Once the filters are attached, you cannot focus to infinity, and are limited to closeup shots. Focus can be tricky. Do not rely on automatic. If you have the luxury, I take about half my shots of one subject with automatic and half with manual and see which turn out better. For extreme closeup use manual.

These have definitely made a difference in my closeups. Look at the jumping spider I posted in picture reviews...not bad for "not macro". I am next investing in some extension tubes, and hopefully this will hold me over until I feel like shelling out the big bucks on a high end macro. Good luck!
review image
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 13, 2010
Verified Purchase
I love macro photography but unfortunately can't afford to spend several hundred dollars on an actual macro lens. One day, but not for a while. I decided to give these a try, figuring that if they don't work, then I'm only out $12, which wouldn't be a huge deal.

However, they work very well. I haven't experimented fully with them yet, but I did just spend about an hour taking photos with the +10 and +4 stacked together. Tomorrow I intend to try out every combination I can. Yes, they do have a very shallow DOF, but for the sort of macro photography I like, that's not only not a problem but ideal.

This is definitely a product I would recommend for someone who wants to give macro photography a try but is hesitant to spend the money an actual macro lens costs.
review image
on January 22, 2011
Verified Purchase
Let me start by saying that I won't criticize here the quality/sharpness/etc of the images that are obtained after using this filters because I am not an expert and because I don't know what a $500 lens can do for you in terms of quality. Instead, I was very satisfied to test by myself that a $10 product like this can produce useful images.

My disappointment comes from the observation (see my posted pictures of an orange pepper) that the magnification is almost impossible to notice using the filters +1, +2, and +4. I started noticing some meaningful effects only after I applied the diopter +10. In fact, only after I screwed simultaneously the 4 filters I was able to produce a x4 magnification of the subject (as shown in the pictures posted).

The advertisement pictures that have been included which show an insect actually get larger and larger with each increase in diopter are in my opinion exaggerated and misleading. This doesn't make the product bad, just "not as advertised", but for 10 bucks I would still buy these in order to have something to play with until somebody offers me a job that can pay for the 500 dollars needed to buy "the real thing".
review image review image
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 11, 2010
Verified Purchase
I will talk about the product and not the seller I purchased from.

Yes, this is a "macro" filter attachment that will allow you to get closer to your subject.
You can use auto focus but you will limit yourself to the amount of magnification that you can use to get as close to the subject as possible. Manual focus will allow you to get super close. I mean so close that is you are using a built in flash you will get a shadow from the camera lens. (thats how close you will be able to get)

These work great. They do drastically change depth of field so take that into account when you are first trying them out.

I am having an issue using some of my filters with it. The threads dont match up very well so I cant use my UV or polarizer because I dont want to cross-thread them. Also, I had to spend a lot of time when these arrived. They were dirty and two of them had some weird black goo on them.

Overall for the money, (I changed this)if you are looking for this item, you might want to pay a little more for better glass.

Update to my original review. This is cheap cheap cheap glass! While changing my 10X it fell 2 inches onto my cameras remote that was sitting on my bed. The glass is chipping, and continuing to chip. I cant use it anymore because I do not want to spread glass chips into my lens. Shop around and you might want to think about going with another manufacturer.
review image review image
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 28, 2009
If you're interested in working for results these aren't bad. I got these figuring it wouldn't break the bank if they turned out to be useless. I've used these on my Oly E-510 with acceptable results. Body settings are critical and you'll need to MF. If you can keep everything very still they do OK. They have a very shallow DOF. Will not replace a true Macro lens.
on April 27, 2011
Verified Purchase
First off, you may have read in other reviews that these filters are not designed to be a replacement for a macro lens, but rather, they allow you to get closer to your subject by decreasing the minimum focusing distance of your current lens. With that said, you can really get some amazing close up shots with these inexpensive lens attachments. I was surprised that these close up lenses were so optically accurate compared to the cost. I have used these lens adaptors on both my Canon 18-55 mm and (with a 52 mm step down ring) EF 50 mm f/1.8 lenses. Compared to others like them, these lenses create less chromatic fringing and are super clear. The glass is heavy and mounted well, threads on the mounts are good quality metal and the carrying pouch is excellent bonus. Having a choice of +1 to +10 gives you a lot of flexibility when choosing your shots. For the price, you can't beat it.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations