Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

78%
22%
Format: Paperback|Change

on January 13, 2014
I have soooo many filmmaking books but this is by far one of my favs, it covers EVERYTHING, its simple, straight to the point + its an interesting read (far too many "so boring my brain cant take this anymore" how to's out there) I make videos on an almost daily basis just me, myself and I with my T3i and wow this book has upped my game x10000!
Highly recommended
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Note: I am a casual user (ie: I'm not buying a RED One any time soon)

Other than theoretical knowledge and book knowledge I have very little experience in the world of digital filmmaking. However after putzing around with my Canon DSLR and my little point-and-shoot Panasonic, I wanted to know how to get more out of both of my cameras. I would call this book a great foundation book - it gives you the basics of digital filmmaking in a "non-threatening" manner - instead of reading like a straight classroom-style textbook and overloading the user with technical terms and dry material, I found the Handbook very easy to go through and to be very insightful.

In the general usage overview department; the book is very well laid out, the pictures and instructions easy to follow and is very succinct. A great foundation for beginners with enough information and depth for the master user.
VINE VOICEon August 15, 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The format of this book is very clean and organized. It is very informative from giving tips on the process as well showcasing various types of equipments for that particular area.

It covers everything from starting a production to finishing it. I feel this book is written well for beginners and for those who are already familiar with filmmaking - there is definitely something you can get out of this book.

This is definitely a book you won't regret having if you're taking a film class, digital or film, but obviously if you're working with digital.
VINE VOICEon August 12, 2011
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Make no mistake, The Digital Filmmaking Handbook, 4th Edition, is a textbook. One that I am sure will be used in film schools around the country in the very near future. Unlike many of the books marketed to filmmakers, this one has a clear difference. Gone are any references to 'film' or 'tape' in the way today's filmmakers create their art. This book is dedicated soley to "Digital" filmmaking as the authors see that as, and probably rightly so, the way all films will be recorded in the future.

No previous knowledge of digital filmmaking is required to understand the chapters in this book. Each chapter will take you from start to finish of how to use todays digital cameras and camcorders to record your work of art. From using specialized software to help you write your screenplay to the filming, editing (including special effects, sound effects, foley and ADR) and finally the marketing of your masterpiece.

Each chapter in turn, gives the aspiring filmmaker the information he or she needs to create a product that can rival a Hollywood production. While the authors, Sonja Schenk and Ben Long, only touch on some of the many options available for software and camera brands, there is enough material here for you to search out and find the best choices for you, your shooting style and most importantly, your budget. There are a number of options available, especially in cameras and camcorders, that are much less expensive than the authors covered in this book.

If you are new to filmmaking, this book is a good first book to help you understand the basics of digital filmmaking. Is it the only book you will need? No. While the authors touch heavily on the legal and pre-production aspects of the business, having a legal guide and a book of standard production contracts will make the process so much easier.

I do recommend this book if you are considering film school. Talking with my friends who have attended and flipped through this book, The Digital Filmmaking Handbook covers much of what they learned in the two years they attended. Considering the cost of attending college, this book may be a better answer as you can cover the information on your own time and teach yourself as you move from one phase of the the film project to the next. Then you can make the decision whether you need formal education and that piece of paper stating you are college educated filmmaker.
VINE VOICEon August 16, 2011
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a book of more than 600 pages that covers the entire spectrum of digital filmmaking and then some. In its fourth edition, this book is thoroughly updated, compared to the third edition published in 2006. Because of the rapid change and advancement of technology, it is in effect a completely different book, as far as equipment and software are concerned. Yes, you still deal with shutter speeds, apertures, lighting, etc., but the "implementations" are much different and usually easier. This is both a book for someone who knows nothing about digital filmmaking to understand its technology, terminology, and production workflow, and also for a person who is already familiar with only certain aspects of it and wants to learn other facets of this creative medium. Belonging to the latter group, I find it interesting to flip through the pages to learn something new everyday. This book will show you how to make masterful films and movies, instead of simple video clips. Of course, creativity is still up to you, but it shows you the methods available to make your creativity shine. It is a book that you can read from cover to cover and learn a lot from it.
on December 18, 2013
As someone who is new to video production, I found The Digital Filmmaking Handbook enormously helpful, particularly its clear explanations of video terminology, such as codecs, bit rates, gain, compression, and encoding. Such terms meant nothing to me, so I couldn't decide which settings to select on my camera. The handbook helped me to understand the options, make informed choices, and get started. For this, I'm extremely grateful to Sonja Schenk and Ben Long. Another strength of the handbook is that it is comprehensive. It covers every step of production. The authors also give readers advice on how best to set white balance, aperture, shutter speed, etc.
on August 31, 2013
I am a filmmaker myself and I must admit that this book did help me hone my skills and I like the author's attention to detail. I gave four stars simply because I felt a little bit drag towards the end of the last few chapters. Otherwise, the book deserves five stars.
VINE VOICEon August 17, 2011
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
In my opinion this is one of the best books written about digital filmmaking. It's useful for anyone just starting out, as well as those currently in the field.

This book covers everything from creating a concept, to production and post-production. It also includes workflows for HD Video, and DSLR video. It's all encompassing in that it discusses the production process as a whole including scripting, storyboarding, planning, scheduling and even selecting the right cameras, lights, etc.

I find it to be well written with a lot of detail and easily understandable explanations, and it's packed with highly useful information.

Some of the tutorials are basic, but I really think many people will get a lot out of the color correction section as well as how to properly read waveforms and vector scopes.

The one thing I was disappointed about was that I had heard that earlier versions came with a CD or DVD that had media files. This edition did not have that. I think that would be great to include and I hope the author does so in future editions.

Still I find that this handbook is a must read for every video professional. It should also be included in every film or production class.

Hats off the authors for a terrific handbook!!
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon August 15, 2011
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This book focuses mainly on "Digital" filmmaking which is undoubtedly the way all films will be recorded in the future.

All aspects of making a movie are covered including the conceptual, pre-production phases. It delves into screenwriting theory and how a screenplay is written, scripting, storyboarding. It covers audo: how to connect mics to a DV camera and synchronize audio in postproduction; how to control sound levels.

Editing is covered, as well, examining the current offerings from Final Cut, Adobe, etc. It starts with the most basic information and progresses to more advanced levels, so the beginner and advanced person will benefit. It doesn't shy away from the technical, yet it is very readable too, which is unusual for this type of book.

Comprehensive, well written, useful book.
on August 2, 2014
This book has greatly improved my filmmaking skills. The things that instructor refuse to teach me from their syllabus, I learn from this filmmaking book. Thanks.