Verified Purchase
I bought Zenith's Pro Digital Kitchen Scale on a friend's recommendation. I'm a Weight Watcher and I weigh just about everything! I can put something on the Zenith scale, push a button twice to zero out the container, then add the ingredient that I'm really weighing. It's really helped, with far less time and fuss than my older scale--where I was constantly moving the dial back and forth, then guessing what was truly "O". I also like the units conversion feature (oz., grams, fluid oz). My pasta labels display "grams" but most food logs record entries in oz. or fluid oz. The scale has a small footprint, so that it takes up minimal space on the kitchen counter. It cleans great, matches the rest of my stainless steel appliances.
on May 3, 2011
Verified Purchase
I really wanted to like this product - I mean look at it, sleek, elegant, and 5KG capacity with 1gm resolution.
Unfortunately, unless you are weighing one item at a time, this scale is not usable.
First, and this is more of an annoyance than a problem; Since the strain gages are between the platform and counter surface, using the tare function is tricky, as pressing the button affects the weight measurement. Takes several attempts to zero out the scale.
Second, while the display does increment by 1gm increments, the resolution is +/-2gm, the salt measured for 17gm could be 15-19gm, not great for the bread recipe.
The main problem, and this was the deal breaker for me, is the display time out. Placed bowl on scale, weighed flour, start to add water, and the display shuts off! I mean in the middle of measuring (not idle time), had to throw it all out.
I sent it back, and ordered the My Weigh 7001DX.

Update (now that I had some time with the new scale): the 7001DX is everything a scale should be.
7000g capacity with 1g resolution (with four modes lb/kg)
programmable timer for both back light and shut off (including fully manual) as well as a beep
Tare and Hold buttons
Pushing the buttons does not affect the the measurement
The display angle is adjustable for best viewing
Included a bowl, a letter holder and tube holder for postage measurements
30 YEAR (LIFETIME) warranty
and while not a snazzy looking as the Zenith, it is attractive, contemporary, and unobtrusive in the kitchen.
on February 13, 2015
Verified Purchase
Received my unit today. Got it at a giveaway price. Seems to be very accurate. Weighed a few items from the kitchen that had marked weights and they all were within 1%.
OK the reason why I am doing this review is to help a few people out with the unit's flaws. I am an electronic tech and am experienced with commercial electronic devices.

Number one. The four "Feet" on the bottom are actually the weight sensors, so be very careful not to abuse them or damage them in any way. If one gets damaged, you may as well use the scale as a paper weight (no pun intended).

Number two. I read in a few reviews where batteries were dying in units that were powered off. The reason why the unit still might eventually kill the battery even if the unit is "off", is because your unit wasn't actually "OFF". You let the 2 minute timer elapse thereby turning the DISPLAY off. But this does NOT turn the power to the whole unit off. I know it's not your fault. The manual doesn't "really" say this, but to be fair it does say you must hold the power button down to shut the power completely off. So you must power the unit off manually using the power button for 2 seconds, even if the unit has gone into its 2 minute time out mode.

Number three. Yes I can see how the backlight can kill the batteries quickly. Don't know what the engineers were thinking in China on this design. The backlights (yes there are two- one at each end of the display) draw enough to power your cell phone for a week, lol. (about 200ma) If you are handy, and I mean do this at your own risk, you can remove the backlight from the circuit and save your battery consumption. Yes the display will be harder to read, but I can see it fine in the daylight. At night you will have to shine a light on the display. If this is too much of an inconvenience to you, well then disregard this modification.
So first you have to remove the batteries, then the 8 bottom screws. Keep the screws in a clean drinking glass so they don't get lost. The bottom cover comes off and reveals the circuitry. You will see the display with a white strip on top- that is the backlight. There are 2 sets of red and black wires going to either end. They go to the circuit board and are labeled L- and L+. Just pull off the L- black wires from each side (or cut them with diagonal cutters) and you will remove the power path to the backlights. I put the batteries back in the unit before covering the unit back up to test out the display and see if I would be satisfied enough. You can always solder the wires back on if you think the display isn't good enough for you without the light. Replace 8 screws (remember, be careful not to bump those "feet" too hard).
Now you can probably use the scale for a year or more on 1 set of batteries.

I hope these tips help you folks out a little in better understanding this fine scale. A couple of tweaks might make this actually usuable!
Verified Purchase
I have owned this scale for over a year now. I really love the thinness and the stainless steal of this scale, but that is the only good things about it. I have found the fact that it will turn its self off while weighing. It also is hard to get to stay on for more than 30 seconds. For the first 9months I owned this scale I thought that it just used a lot of power while I used it. However, I decided to take the batteries out after using it each time I use it even though it shows as off. After doing this I found it still uses power when it's turned off. Now I don't have to replace the batteries almost ever time I use it. But it is a major pain to take the batteries out and put them back in when I use it another day. I also, find it is not as actuate as you need for baking, measure small quantities like salt or baking soda.
I have just replaced this scale with another of a different brand. Hopefully it works better than this one does.
on April 27, 2014
Verified Purchase
Looks great and work ok but the problem is it drain the battery way too fast!
One month use have been replacing 3 sets of CR2032 3V Lithium battery.
on April 15, 2011
Verified Purchase
I am a very particular consumer and this kitchen scale meets some very high criteria.
It is quite classy: well made, finger print proof, back-lit, small. flat ... easy to store and easy to use.

It has all functions for tare adjustment for container and weighs fluid ounces, as well as grams and standard ounces.

The "watch style" batteries come with the unit and well may be more expensive than AA or AAA batteries, but they are available on Amazon and the product is worth that difference.

I purchased the following unit first and returned it immediately - "EatSmart Precision Pro Digital Kitchen Scale, Black Chrome".

Read my review on that product as a comparison.
on February 5, 2014
What I like:
It's slim. I slide it in with my cookbooks and knowone would ever know it's there.
It's easy to use.

What I'm not thrilled with:
---I've had it for 2 years and replaced the batteries 2-3 times. I suppose that wouldn't be a lot if I used this often, but I dont. It sees use maybe 1-2x a month and then every 6 months or so I start to use it more often, usually with a baking project. But then the batteries apparently can't keep up and the unit will just turn off. No warning. So I try again and the display reads Lo. THat's fine, I understand batteries need to be replaced, but there hasn't been anything to wear the batteries out, and the actual battery symbol never lights up to warn you it's going to crap out. It just dies in the middle of measuring.
---The display is flush with the top, so any big item on top makes it hard to read the actual measure.
---There is a noticeable lag with weighing items out, and using the tare function as well. Like another reviewer mentioned it takes .5-1.5 seconds to update. So if you're measuring water pouring slowly doesn't sole the problem. Also, I question the validity of the actual weights since often it will tell me a certain number of grams, and then as I go to measure something else it changes. (!!???!!)
---It times out fast and so will turn off in the middle of using it.

I have never used another kitchen scale, so I really don't have anything to compare it to. But as I use it for more and more baking etc and keep having to replace the batteries it seems like there must be better option out there, at least so I don't keep buying packs of batteries!!
on July 22, 2011
Verified Purchase
I ordered this for my father who has been cooking as a hobby all his life. He retired a short time ago and decided to invest his time and effort into a sausage making business.

First thing he needed was a good, dependable kitchen scale. He took his time and did his research and came up with this one, the Ozeri Zenith Professional Digital Kitchen Scale, and asked me to order it. I bought it from the company, via Amazon and it arrived a few days later much to my father's delight.

Although I haven't used it myself I can definitely say that this is a great product; my father absolutely loves it and uses it all the time. It has proven to be a great boon for his business which I am happy to say is now booming (It was even featured recently in the local paper!).

So my Dad's happy, his customers are happy and as long as I keep getting free sausages, I'm happy too!

Thank you, Ozeri!
on September 27, 2014
Verified Purchase
I have several of these kitchen-oriented electronic strain-gauge type scales and I was drawn to this one because the display lights up and indeed it's very easy to see the digits, and it's large enough to hold things that might not fit on a smaller scale. And I got it with a 50% discount so the price was very reasonable and I really wanted to like it. My other two scales work fine but I figured I'd keep them as spares and use this because my kitchen is often dark.

But this is going back today. Why?

1) it's inaccurate by at least 10%, both when measuring things that weigh a few ounces and with things that weigh a few pounds. I have checked both of my other scales and they not only agree with each other but when I brought home (I work in a lab) weights of know quantity they are both within 1 or 2% percent an often right on (I use the ounce display so that means within 1/10th of an ounce).

2) This scale looks pretty but it feels as though it is made of tin foil it's so delicate. Both of my other scales are much sturdier and have been in use for years.

3) If you want to keep this one working you'll be wiping the finish constantly. It looks as though it's a brushed finish and it is, sort of, but it shows everything.

If you don't care to much for accuracy and you won't use this one every day, then maybe it's a good choice if you get it on sale (I paid about $12 for it) because it's so light and delicate and thin that you could store it on its side and it would take up no space.

If you're willing to pay $50, the OXO scale I use (search on amazon for B000WJMTNA) is terrific: The display unit can be pulled away from the main unit maybe 6 inches so you can put something large on it and still see the display and there is a light.

For around $30 search for B000G2OTM2, which is a Polder scale that I have that while it doesn't light up has a large display and the weighing surface is glass and easy to clean and looks great. And I have had mine to long that I don't remember when I got it (I'd guess 7 years, I didn't buy it hear so I can't search and figure out) without a hitch and I've replaced the batteries once.
on December 10, 2012
On the plus side:

1) This scale is very pretty, with a brushed stainless steel surface that appears to be coated with something like a thin layer of polyurethane for protection.
2) It has a large weighing surface.
3) The scale is accurate, and fairly precise.
4) The 1 gram precision.
5) The 11 lbs maximum weight range.
6) A 2 minute display hold before auto shut-off
7) A large, easy to read display

On the minus side:

1) If you place something on the scale before turning it on (for a tare measurement to eliminate the container weight), you will see "out2" on the display, which indicates the scale needs calibration. Calibration is not required in this circumstance. Just make sure that the scale doesn't have anything on it before you turn it on.
2) Why did they put a "liquid oz." unit display on here? The measurements match ounce-for-ounce (weight-wise) with the lbs+oz weight display. Not only is it misleading (I think the only measurement it would be truly accurate for may be water). If I measure 8 liquid oz volume of water vs 8 liquid oz volume of molasses, they would read totally different "liquid oz." on the scale. This unit should be labeled "oz weight".
3) In case you were wondering why I give this scale a "1" rating with all the pluses above and the few minor minuses (it's not a typo), here it is: This scale uses [2] CR2032 "button" batteries with a grocery store price around 4 dollars for a pack of 2. We use our scale quite a bit. We used the Zenith scale for a little over a week before we got a "Low" indication on the display. (Hmmm ... maybe they shipped the scale with weak batteries?) So, I purchased new batteries at the grocery store. A little over a week later of use, and we saw the "Low" indication again. So ... it's the scale, not the batteries. We would normally need a new set of batteries every 6 months or so on the scales we have used in the past. THIS SCALE EATS EXPENSIVE BATTERIES VERY QUICKLY. In about 2-3 months, we will pay more for replacement batteries than we did for the scale.

We don't know if it matters if the batteries are removed or not - we use the scale so often, it probably would have little effect for us.

But, if you don't need a scale very often, you could probably take the batteries out between uses, store them with the scale, and reinsert the batteries when you need to make a measurement. This could be an OK scale in those circumstances.

For us, the Ozeri Zenith is nearly useless, except as a back-up scale when our soon-to-be-purchased next scale's battery runs out.

UPDATE: I will be contacting Ozeri customer support about our scale. Ozeri customer support has been very helpful and responsive in the past, so I want to see if our scale is defective. We have been using this scale for slightly over a month now, and have gone through 6 sets of batteries. I am modifying my product star rating to "3" until I find out Ozeri's response and find out if our scale is defective.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations