5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!
Published on June 13, 2012 by NJ Lady

I am a traditional painter that wants to use to develop my compositions and do color studies digitally. I am a complete beginner; when I bought this book I had not yet used a tablet, Photoshop or Painter. I really wanted to give this book 5 stars, but there were a couple of flaws that were hard to overlook.

First, what I liked:

1) Overall this book...
Published 6 months ago by M. D. Todd

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, June 13, 2012
This review is from: Digital Painting for the Complete Beginner (Paperback)
So glad I bought this book! I'm only on page 34 and have learned so much. I've used Photoshop for years and am shocked that there's so much I've missed. As a slow learner, it can be overwhelming to absorb so much at one time, but taking it slow, and really appreciate this info! Great things learned so far: the difference between Photoshop and Painter, how to clean up a bad scan, setting the "workplace" feature on Photoshop so same windows always open, using the quick selection tool etc. Look forward to reading more! Carlyn's recommendations and tips are given in a very fun and easy-going manner. She's very encouraging and really helpful!

On a side note, if I'm 'stuck' trying to understand a particular topic (like using 'masks'), I'll do a Google search and watch a YouTube video of someone demonstrating it. Along with the book, this extra visual is helpful!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful instruction, August 22, 2012
This review is from: Digital Painting for the Complete Beginner (Paperback)
I ordered this book to help me learn about digital art and illustration. I was inspired by Carly Beccia's work, even before I knew about this book. So I was so excited to be able to learn about her techniques. The instruction is clear and well illustrated. I also like that she brought in some guest artists for tutorials on additional techniques.

I highly recommend this book, especially if you are planning to use Corel Painter for digital art. There is also some good information about use of Photoshop, but mainly, this book is about Painter.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent resource, May 21, 2012
This review is from: Digital Painting for the Complete Beginner (Paperback)
Complete Beginner is the perfect way to describe my experiences with working with Photoshop. This book was recommended to me and I am so glad I bought it! Carlyn's explanations are clear with plenty of visual examples. She covers what tools are available and how to use them while assuming the person reading knows nothing about the program. I'm ready to start experimenting with Photoshop and it will be a much less frustrating experience because of this book. Thank you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Digital painting for the complete beginner, November 19, 2012
This review is from: Digital Painting for the Complete Beginner (Paperback)
I have read a lot of how to books over the years but this book is one of the best for a beginner. Carlyn Beccia has really nailed the needs of the learner.
the details are simply and easy to follow .. digital painting is not easy to learn as there is so many programs and very good ones Photoshop and Corelpainter are two off the best but for first timers are very hard to learn. This book makes it all easier

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice gem for the untrained digital artist!, October 14, 2012
This review is from: Digital Painting for the Complete Beginner (Paperback)
This books needs to get sold! Why? Simple, the author's method of teaching you the software (both painter and photoshop) is a welcome addition to my library. Then taking the time to drill down some techniques for both programs will get you going very quickly on to becoming an advanced digital painter. It helps to mention that the author may be drawing digitally, but she is pushing for a paper drawn look that you don't see much often when you use digital media. I'm glad to have bought this, and I believe it will help me push my drawings over to the realistic scale.

For beginners and advanced users looking for an introduction to or a refresh for Photoshop CS5 and Painter 12. Then after learning the ropes with both you are then presented with tutorials of varying levels to teach you as many techniques as possible. Presented in full color and proper CMYK print. Not a book to be left out, get it now!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for the "complete beginner" and referenced website with additional materials not available, April 10, 2014

First, what I liked:

1) Overall this book is valuable for artists and I think good for traditional artists wanting to understand digital painting.
2) The book is divided into two main sections - the first section is called "Digital Painting Essentials" and this section has a nice array of techniques that are immediately applicable - like how to scan and clean up a traditional pencil sketch for use in Photoshop or Painter.
3) The author does a good job at showing how to do various tasks with Photoshop or Painter
4) Everything is explained very clearly throughout with lots of helpful photos
5) The author's work is whimsical yet very professional and really helps one see the possibilities of digital media

What's not so good:
1) This book really isn't for the complete beginner - I was a complete beginner and I had to go find some basic tutorials on Photoshop and Painter to go through before I could use this book. It is a "basic" book but what she shows won't be enough to actually start using these programs even if you follow along.

The bad:
1) The second section of the book is chock full of interesting and gorgeous tutorials. However, they are almost useless to a complete beginner. Trying to learn the concepts in the tutorials by applying them to a different piece of art that what is show would be extremely difficult for a beginner to digital art. The concepts are solid - it is trying to apply them de novo which is the tough part. I tried in a couple of cases and ended up very frustrated since I couldn't easily see if it was going right (and in some cases with nothing to reference I couldn't get the same effect).
2) The most egregious is that the book references a companion website where you can access "some of the brushes, patterns and textured backgrounds in the tutorials" and "will also include extra resources, tips and links to video tutorials" is not available! I did track down the email of the author and sent her a note asking about it and she didn't get back to me (if I hear anything I will update this review). Note: it does not say that the art pieces used in the book tutorials would be available on the companion site - again without these the tutorials would be very difficult for a beginner (like me).

Overall I did get some useful information out of the book but it fell short in some key areas for a complete beginner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Beginners or Artists looking to "brush up", July 14, 2012
This review is from: Digital Painting for the Complete Beginner (Paperback)
I have been paiting Digitally a couple of years now, and this is helping me immensely! I HIGHLY recommend this book!

1.0 out of 5 stars it's not a guide!!, March 18, 2014
Pakomex "Pakomex" (west hollywood, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Digital Painting for the Complete Beginner (Paperback)
This book hints is a guide for a digital painting guide but actually is just a guide how to save the files , but won't tell you how to use the colors or menus with the software.
lots of pictures but not lots of guides! it was a waste of money for me....

5.0 out of 5 stars Is what is says and more, December 24, 2012
This review is from: Digital Painting for the Complete Beginner (Paperback)
Great how to book. I love the balance between application info and art how to. While I am not a complete beginner (I've used photoshop as a professional web/graphic designer and illustrator for years), I am not advanced either. So far I've found the content very helpful and super easy to understand. The book is written comfortably (not too much high tech talk, but enough to maintain professional integrity in anyone's workflow).

Very impressed. All pros, no cons!

5.0 out of 5 stars jonny loves it., March 26, 2013
This review is from: Digital Painting for the Complete Beginner (Paperback)
excellent step by step referance, instructional guide.a must have for all who wish to learn digital painting.easy to follow concise instructions for even the biggest dummies(myself included). carlyn takes the fear out of learning digital painting. a great teacher.bravo.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Digital Painting for the Complete Beginner
Digital Painting for the Complete Beginner by Carlyn Beccia (Paperback - April 24, 2012)
$24.99 $16.30