5.0 out of 5 stars Real knowledge for photographers of all levels.
Don't let the title put you off. The word "Dummies" might cause some folks to look elsewhere without even considering the content. I got started taking photos with a large Graflex press camera that used film plates (like you see the Press guys using in the old black and white movies) and have done my share of photography over the years.

With the advent of...
Published on February 11, 2011 by Doctor Dan

3.0 out of 5 stars low quality binding
The content was okay but too specific for the author's cameras which were old. More importantly, the binding broke in several places (prior to first complete reading) which would soon result in pages falling out if I continued to use it as a reference. I returned it to Amazon for a TROUBLE FREE replacement with a different "Dummies" title.
Published 17 months ago by T. Poirot

5.0 out of 5 stars Real knowledge for photographers of all levels., February 11, 2011
Doctor Dan (Fairfield, Iowa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Digital SLR Photography All-in-One For Dummies (Paperback)

With the advent of digital cameras,and especially the more recent high end DSLR models, there's whole new realm of information to master. Whether you're a seasoned photographer graduating from film (remember film?) to a new digital SLR monster, or someone having their first experience with a point and shoot digital camera, this book will have a wealth of knowledge to help you enjoy your visual passion.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a prefect book for a beginner like me!!, November 17, 2010
This review is from: Digital SLR Photography All-in-One For Dummies (Paperback)
This book AWESOME!!!! If you are a beginner know nothing about DSLR or know little bit for DSLR photography, then this book is for you. In this book, it describe everything in detail, also the LANGUAGE that we can EASY to UNDERSTAND as a beginner. You will love this book. I can say this is a bible for a beginner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for beginers, January 12, 2013
This review is from: Digital SLR Photography All-in-One For Dummies (Paperback)
This item is given 5 stars due to the way the Author wrote the book and the contents. It is written in such a way as to not be overly clever or technical (suppose thats the point of the for dummies series). This book is very large and utterly filled with just about everything a begginer such as myself wants to know about the magical world of DSLR photography. Having spent many hours reading many sites, forums and what not about DSLR's photography I wasnt sure weather to spend the $'s buyig such a book as there is alot of information availble online for free. Im glad to say pay the $s was a good move as there is just SO much information inside this book it really is a 9 in 1 style book that you can freely just go directly to the areas of interest for you, there is no need to start at the beggining and work all the way through. If your a begginer, if your interested in getting in to the field of DSLR photography or even a seasoned DSLR nutcase this book has something for everyone and I highly advise this book. It is a few years old now but still all the information is relevent enough and detailed enough for any person too fill in the blanks that the 3 odd years since publishing has produced.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book for amateur photographers, August 8, 2011
E. Tan (Michigan, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Digital SLR Photography All-in-One For Dummies (Paperback)
This book talks about all the basics needed to shoot a great picture. It covers the lighting, framing, and camera accessories for better photo results. There are so much more to offer in this book. if you are an amateur photographer like me, this is definitely a must-have book. compared to others photography book, this item it's a little bit pricy but it's worth the price. Recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars great book for a novice, May 28, 2012
This review is from: Digital SLR Photography All-in-One For Dummies (Paperback)
Provides a good foundation for changing settings, also covers accesories such as lenses, flash etc. It goes over just about everything. The only thing that is left is to take your camera out and apply what you learned....

4.0 out of 5 stars very informative; slightly dated, May 18, 2012
This review is from: Digital SLR Photography All-in-One For Dummies (Paperback)
I was sitting on the fence about whether I should buy a dSLR and, if so, which one would be the right one for me. I invested in this book to help me find the answers and it did. I learned what made a dSLR different from the more compact point and shoots as well as other really cool stuff that I never had a notion of before (my favorite is HDR). The book gave me photography pointers and explained in depth about exposure values; shutter speeds vs. apertures vs. ISO. By no means am I an expert in these things but I DO understand what they are and how manipulating them affects the photo. I was very happy with the purchase and have even loaned it out to a relative who recently bought a dSLR but didn't understand many of its features.
The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars was that it was published a couple of years ago and, consequently, the comparison tables in the back do not cover some of the popular dSLR cameras on the market today. The author knew this would happen and has done his best to compensate for it. After I had made the decision to purchase a dSLR and was trying to choose which one, I contacted the author by e-mail and he gave me some very good pointers and advice.
I would recommend this book to any novice/dummie.

5.0 out of 5 stars All I needed to get started, September 13, 2012
This review is from: Digital SLR Photography All-in-One For Dummies (Paperback)
I recently upgraded to a Nikon D5100 and was feeling pretty overwhelmed. Coming from a point and shoot pocket camera to this is like switching your bicycle for a Boxster. Big jump in abilities and a big learning curve. Digital SLR for Dummies helped make the transition painless and got me familiar with my camera over a period of just days.

For the pro's out there this book can be helpful too. In discussion with more advanced (photographically) friends I discovered that they did not know many of the basics covered in this book. Made ME feel like a pro and the insights were helpful to them also. Before I knew it I was familiar with ISO, f stops, shutter speeds and the relationships between them. Not that I'm a pro yet, but this book definitely got me started.

Too many of my friends have bought expensive cameras, left them on Autofocus and then wondered why their photographs are not much better than those they got from the pocket cameras. Don't be one of those, get this book and learn, and understand, how to use your new camera to its maximum abilities.

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent guide for the new DSLR user, July 22, 2011
This review is from: Digital SLR Photography All-in-One For Dummies (Paperback)
While the author has some definite - and largely admitted up-front - preferences in cameras, gear and photo & video processing software, by and large he keeps his subject matter generic enough that it can be applied to any Digital SLR camera.
I've already started playing around with my aperture, ISO and shutter settings in order to get different results than what "auto everything" would on my camera.
This would probably be a good guide for users of digital cameras that are of the higher end "point and shoot" variety, such as the Fuji FinePix 1500 and similar - while they don't have all the functions of a DSLR, they do have a lot of them, and framing and design techniques apply to all cameras. While the camera specific information is already becoming dated due to the introduction of new cameras, it's not nearly as bad as some computer guides - and the information provided forms the base of knowledge needed to guide the purchase of a first DSLR as well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dummies, for a dummy, October 18, 2011
This review is from: Digital SLR Photography All-in-One For Dummies (Paperback)
The book is very helpful, it seems to breakdown all of the basics of shooting a DSLR camera. The only reminder to future purchasers... know YOUR camera. Get familiar with your own camera's manual. Learn that first, before going any deeper into ANY other book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, February 27, 2013
This review is from: Digital SLR Photography All-in-One For Dummies (Paperback)
I bought my wife a DLSR camera and this has been very helpful for her as she begins to understand her camera. It goes through all the concepts you need to take good pictures, it also has great illustrations

Digital SLR Photography All-in-One For Dummies
Digital SLR Photography All-in-One For Dummies by Robert Correll (Paperback - November 16, 2010)
Used & New from: $7.66