Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Women's Cyber Monday Deals Week Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for the Winter Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer mithc mithc mithc  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now bgg

on June 30, 2008
I read the first edition of Digital Storytelling cover-to-cover and continue to use it as a reference book. When I picked up the second edition of this valuable resource, I knew I was in both heaven and in trouble. Here would be brand new jewels of information I could use in all my storytelling (that's the heaven part) and I would be compelled by my own curiousity and desire to stay abreast of the developing multi-media industry to read this new edition cover-to-cover (the trouble part is that once I picked it up I'd be ignoring other projects in order to absorb all the great insight and information Carolyn offers).

Sure enough.

Digital Storytelling has far surpassed the typical pattern of a second edition, which offers 20% new material. Miller's second edition offers 80% new material! If you want to keep up, or even have a glimmer of what's up on the frontiers of storytelling, you've got to read Digital Storytelling.

For those who pooh-pooh new media as shallow and unintelligent, read what Miller has to say about the history and provenance of the art form - including James Joyce.

For those who're only interested in the action and the creation of same, entire sections of the book are devoted to how-to's, with "Idea-Generating Exercises" in each.

For those whose interest lies in the business aspects of new technologies, Carolyn explores that as well.

To practice what she preaches about interconnectivity and multiple media sources, the book also offers additional materials and links on a couple of different websites.

All-in-all, Digital Storytelling is a comprehensive analysis of and approach to the creative and commercial aspects of new media that reflects the rich storytelling tendencies that make us human - and that makes stories so compelling.

Buy it, read it, and refer to it whenever you're working on anything digital.
on July 9, 2008
I'd recommend Digital Storytelling to anyone interested in a new medium for their message--it's both accessible and practical.

With an MBA in marketing, I was most interested in the use of digital storytelling for promotion, advertising, and branding. I am a board member of an opera company; like many arts organizations, we are trying to entice a younger audience.

For the opera company, putting our young singers online is a very accessible way to lure a younger audience already familiar with Facebook. I would like to set up a MMOG (Massively Multiplayer Online Game), a type of game I learned about in the book. In MMOGs, people take on the appearance and persona of make-believe characters and interact with each other. In one for the opera company they could portray the drama and events of opera. Who wouldn't want to be the Duke of Mantua or Don Giovanni! An ARG (Alternative Reality Game) would be terrific, too. As explained in the Digital Storytelling, ARGs tie together several forms of media to tell a story, and intimately involve players in the narrative, where they help solve a mystery or prevent a crime.

Digital Storytelling also speaks to the challenges of a Rice University chamber music presenting organization of which I am a member. While the performances attract students, this audience will not have longevity that young subscribers will. Ergo we must reach these potential members through media with which they are familiar, like the Internet.

I loved the section of the book about the kiosk as an avatar. While it is terrific for hospitalized kids, it would also be a great way to communicate with shut-in geriatrics. The kiosks could incorporate pets, family, connected adults, games, physical exercises, etc. The possibilities are without limits.

I feel that Digital Storytelling provides a detailed, articulate guide for those interested in using a new methodology to convey their message; it is a fine tool.

Barbara Kauffman, M.A., M.B.A.
on May 15, 2008
Carolyn Miller is extremely bright and highly accomplished in her field; what she had to say about digital storytelling is worth listening to. The editorial reviews accurately reflect the great usefulness of this singular resource. I think you'll agree that it's "worth the price of admission."