5.0 out of 5 stars Digital Video Guru Course in a Book
Published on February 4, 2004 by SentryOne

3.0 out of 5 stars Reviewed by a rank amateur
Published on September 27, 2009 by tachi1

5.0 out of 5 stars Digital Video Guru Course in a Book, February 4, 2004
"3rd Edition" I would recommend this book to anyone interested in becoming a Video Editing Guru. Now there isn't much fame or glory in such a title, and I'm not implying that after reading the book you will be able to instantly break into the "Pro" video editing business either. But it does give you some useful information on how to digitize those video clips and turn them into a respectable home movie or corporate presentation.
The book is very much based on Apple's "iMovie" and Pinnacle's "Studio 8". You'll skip around a bit because of the 2 different programs it explains, but you're really just getting 2 books in one if you ever decide to dabble in the 'other' program. If you're using a video editing program other than these, you may want to pick a different book.
Well organized and "dumb-ed down" enough for the beginner. The projects and included clips on CD Rom keep it interesting. I learned about many tips that I plan to use all the time in my projects now. Good work Underdahl!
Based on what I've seen in this book, I would definitely check out the Adobe Premiere Dummies book by the same author if I decide to move up to that program. I'm confident that I would not be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Primer, April 13, 2006
J. Hahn (Astoria, NY United States) - See all my reviews
I wish I had bought this book initially.

I was pretty new to digital video. I had lots of questions about transferring, capturing analog, audio, and so far this book has answered them. It would have saved time to buy it first.

I'm using the digital video for a vidcast.

5.0 out of 5 stars It is the one, March 21, 2007
If you're new to video editing, it is the one for you. It'S a good start

3.0 out of 5 stars Reviewed by a rank amateur, September 27, 2009
I have my first digital video camera and, for the first time, the option to edit my long and boring captures. While I am very experienced at editing digital photos, this is an entirely new field for me. It seems to me that this "for dummies" version is still too advanced for me. I need one "for complete morons", apparently. This is a reflection on me, not on the book, which seems to be very thorough.

It goes into more detail than I need. I don't capture video with my phone; I don't have capture problems; the odds of my ever needing nightvision videos are nil; I'm not sure I need to know what the NTSC standards are, and on and on.

All I really wanted was a step-by-step way to:
*use the software that came with my camera to cut out unnecessary areas and restitch the remainter;
*suggestions on how to make a video capture flow, more or less seamlessly, despite the editing;
*ditto with the soundtrack;
*an overview of easy video editing programs that I can upgrade to if I should ever outgrow my camera's software (which doesn't look likely right now.)
*workflow suggestions as to how to backup and preserve video (I don't have that much faith that DVD's are still going to be in use a decade from now), so I wanted a general overview of options and suggestions.

I got the first four. It was a bit more technical than I wanted, but that may be because I didn't realize the full software/hardware implications, let alone the standards, frame rates, aspect ratios, interlacing, capture cards, or video converters issues--and I've still purposefully avoided the "advanced video editing" chapter. It seems to me that people, not too much brighter than I and with similarly-equipped home computers, have managed to edit their videos w/o knowing all this. Actually, ignorance is bliss sometimes and I'm not sure I want to know. (But if YOU want to know it, it's all here).

The issue of archiving and preserving video is not addressed. The author does suggest external hard drives as a way to save space on the internal ones. Maybe we have to endlessly keep updating our captures (super 8 to vhs; vhs to dvd; dvd to ??). I was hoping that some specific strategy to make the process easier and foolproof. It probably isn't fair for me to expect to have this issue addressed in a "for dummies" book, but preserving these memories going forward is the primary reason I shoot movies, and I'd like to think that there is someway that I can ensure that today's babies will be able to see their movies 30 or 40 years from now.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very useful and reasonably up to date, March 18, 2007
Geoffrey Brown (Taconic, CT United States) - See all my reviews
The "Dummies" folks seem to be able to get it right pretty consistently, and they also seem to be willing to update titles with some frequency -- publish a new edition, that means.

When I bought this book, I bought another on the same topic from another publisher and neglected to check the date of publication. Well, it was antique, relatively speaking, so when I picked this one up, suddenly things started to make a lot of sense.

Also, the author seems to be able to cover three editing products without a lot of repetition. This is a good, workmanlike job.

5.0 out of 5 stars A 'must have' for those new to digital video, December 11, 2008
D. Sanders (Sacramento, CA) - See all my reviews
If you're thinking about buying your first digital video camcorder or up-grading, or you're want to learn how to edit video using your computer then this is a great book. The author does a great job explaining technical things that go along with digital camcorders and making movies. You really need to understand how digital video works in order to be able to make terrific movies and how to work with your camcorder and computer software. Even though this is a 4th edition (2006) it has some information about Blue-Ray and lots about High Definition (HD) which is a big step up from analog video and standard difinition video. After you read this book, and apply many of the techniques, you'll be able to make much better videos than before.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great reference guide for videography, October 8, 2007
Great reference guide for video production especially for beginners. Simple easy to read and apply!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Total SCORE if You Are New to Video Filming/Editing: Perfect!, October 21, 2009
Anthony Ian "anthony_ian" (Chicago, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This book scores on so many levels I can't recommend it enough for beginners. As somebody who bought their first camcorder and will be making shorts which will involve editing software, I needed a 101 overview.

And boy, did this ever fit the bill. Written in a breezy, easy-to-understand style, the book first deals with what you should look for in equipment. It then moves into basic filming techniques but most importantly, the beginner mistakes that are all too common (bad lighting, zooming in during a shot, etc.). Even though I have a basic knowledge of film making, I found these tips extremely helpful.

But what really makes this book worth every cent is that it is basically a user's guide for iMovie, Windows Movie Maker and Adobe Premiere. If you're new to editing, you're probably going to start with the super-basic Movie Maker or iMovie, and somewhere down the line move up to the more advanced Adobe.

For every editing step it shows how this is done in each respective program--a virtual user's guide, complete with tips and enhancements.

It also covers advanced editing tricks, adding audio, lighting tricks, you name it.

If you want a primer for beginners, this couldn't be more perfect. It was so interesting and easily readable I read the entire book in one day.

3.0 out of 5 stars It really is for dummies., November 10, 2008
This book is good if you're an absolute beginner, but I was hoping for alot more info. It mainly teaches you how to use Windows moviemaker.

2.0 out of 5 stars Totally out of date, March 19, 2014
The book spends a lot of time related to tape based cameras. Who still uses tape? Altogether totally out of date. Home video is a rapidly changing technology. This book is essentially useless.

Digital Video For Dummies
Digital Video For Dummies by Keith Underdahl (Paperback - February 6, 2006)
Used & New from: $1.61