4.0 out of 5 stars A bit noisy for a bedroom and flaky but dirt cheap
Published 23 months ago by James C. Liu

1.0 out of 5 stars FRUSTRATION... Unreliable
The Blu-ray player and streaming video worked for about a week. Then the machine started to lock-up when trying to load Netflix. Then the machine would shut down and re-boot all by itself. It would sometimes fail to receive signal then shut down and re-boot. unreliable low-cost player. DONT BUY THIS ONE.
Published 16 months ago by Rhonda Kositzky

4.0 out of 5 stars A bit noisy for a bedroom and flaky but dirt cheap, September 26, 2012
This review is from: Digix BD-500 Blu-Ray Disc Player
In a weird experimental mood, I was suddenly in the mood to see just how cheap I could go to get a decent blu-ray setup, so I picked one of these up recently, new, at a big box outlet with a used floor-model LG flat panel. The price was so low, I was a bit shocked the setup would work at all. When I got home, I plugged it in using a dollar store HDMI cable, and used another dollar store ethernet cable to connect to streaming. For the few DVDs and Blu-rays I had a chance to test initially, I was amazed this thing actually played fairly well. Streaming over wire and setup weren't an issue, since I sort of run my own home network and host like a dozen domains out of my living room. Picture is the usual blocky style from online streams, but DVDs and Blu-rays I first tested played pretty well.

If that was the end of the story, I would say, go out and buy this immediately, because I was ready to give it 5 stars.

But over the last few weeks, the player is noticeably noisy with discs. Yeah, I guess I noticed it at first too, but was so amazed it could play that I overlooked it. And during the day, a small amount of motor "whirring" isn't a big deal. But watching a movie at night in a bedroom, and the whir is very noticeable.

Next, while this player was great with the first few movies I put in, about 10% of the videos I have don't play well. It's as if the DSS crypto on those isn't supported. And also, I occasionally boot, and the locale comes up in Chinese, then switches to English.

Clearly there are performance and firmware glitches. Not enough for me to pull my hair out, but definitely not something for the wife and kids who could get confused and wonder what's going on. Still a good value. I gave this 4 stars since I still have it in the bedroom and it's still playing videos. Also, Digix infrared remote codes aren't compatible with my cable/satellite dish programmable remote, so I have to keep the player remote handy. That isn't an issue with my big-name brand players. Not a big deal, but something to be aware of.

1.0 out of 5 stars FRUSTRATION... Unreliable, May 11, 2013
Rhonda Kositzky (Manistee, MI United States) - See all my reviews

1.0 out of 5 stars regretful purchase., July 27, 2014
This review is from: Digix BD-500 Blu-Ray Disc Player
Thought going the cheaper route would work considering it was a refurbished item but not the case. It prohibited me from almost everything and the only two places I am allowed to get into are settings and DVD. But without a home I couldn't create an account and therefore wasn't allowed to get on the Internet to stream Netflix, the sole purpose of buying this item. Also, when I asked for help from the seller, they took too long to get back to me and never helped me figure out if they could fix it or offer an exchange. I highly recommend spending an extra 30 dollars and buy a new one to avoid unnecessary complications.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this product!, April 27, 2014
This review is from: Digix BD-500 Blu-Ray Disc Player
I bought this on a whim and could not be happier! It's in my living room and the Pandora feature is awesome for entertainment!

2.0 out of 5 stars Usually works, but flimsiest home entertainment hardware I've ever owned, February 15, 2014
This review is from: Digix BD-500 Blu-Ray Disc Player
I got it for Christmas with my Dad almost apologizing, "it's a cheap blu ray player". I've used it for the last two years, and it's easily the most unreliable piece of electronics I've owned. Sometimes it will just freeze and refuse to turn on, leaving you to unplug it and plug it back in from the wall. You can't do this from the back of the device, so you have to dig around behind your couch or entertainment center to hard reboot it. Sometimes it won't eject discs or makes you wait 60 seconds before finally coughing it up. Blu rays also take forever to load, so pop one in and go someplace else for a while.

All that said, it plays blu rays and I've been using it for about two years now. I'll finally get a nicer one now that I have a 3D projector, since this one doesn't support 3D Blu Ray.

1.0 out of 5 stars pricy yet cheap piece of junk, October 29, 2013
This review is from: Digix BD-500 Blu-Ray Disc Player
i see some comments stating "for the price ..." this and that. nonsense. it is not cheap and it is an absolute waste of money piece of junk. i tried to rma a remote because it takes a thousand clicks, bending way over forward and pointing it with pin point accuracy at the usb port to get any response from the device. even when it does respond it is the slowest electronic device i have worked with in a very long time. i told customer service if they have no fix or rma replacement i will throw it away and buy another brand and they were cool with that. guess they just want to catch enough people once and then close shop and retire with our wasted purchase money. i bought a great sony product for quite a bit less money, more functionality, super quality and simply a pleasure to use. who knows why people like me have to learn the hard way and buy these fly-by-night brands first before we spend money again to buy something decent. maybe we need paper weights, because that is all digix is good for.

3.0 out of 5 stars Watch out for the functionality, September 9, 2013
This review is from: Digix BD-500 Blu-Ray Disc Player
I have ordered two of these boxes. The first one fooled me because it required a hard router connection and I had see another model (#520) that did not. Assumed that all worked the same way. That one was returned. The second box arrived for another TV and I had decied to go ahead with a wired connection. In this one, the Netflix connection did not work. the answer I got from the tech support was that "it did not work and to send it back for a newer model." The User Guide showed it working for that model. I take the blame for not reading the (vague) technical description regarding the hard-wired aspect, but the inability to link to Netflix clearly is a flaw that should have been defined. The newer model 520 has all of this, so be careful in ordering a cheaper model 500.

5.0 out of 5 stars blue ray digix bd 500, April 29, 2013
This review is from: Digix BD-500 Blu-Ray Disc Player
DIGIX BD-500 BLU-RAY PLAYER, WORKS GREAT, IN BED ROOM FOR DVD'S USE ..PERFECT FOR GRANDCHILDREN SLEEP OVER, AAAAAAAAAA++++++

EASY TO INSTALL..

5.0 out of 5 stars great, February 8, 2013
J. White (Snellville, Ga United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Digix BD-500 Blu-Ray Disc Player
as desired, shipped quickly, it was was a Christmas gift, and I have heard no complaints from the ones who got it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a problem., December 26, 2012
K. G. Reid "KGR" (Grosse Pointe, MI USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Digix BD-500 Blu-Ray Disc Player
For me the BD520 has worked just fine. I've set it up to stream Netflix, VUDU, and Pandora without a hitch. I've played DVD's and CD's without a problem. I actually paid nothing for it since I had a 5 year extended warranty on a TV I had bought and never had to use so they gave me half back towards electronics so I bought two of them for 10 cents. They were priced at $58 each at ABC Warehouse in the Detroit area. Not a bad deal.

Digix BD-500 Blu-Ray Disc Player