4.0 out of 5 stars A bit noisy for a bedroom and flaky but dirt cheap
Published on September 26, 2012 by James C. Liu

1.0 out of 5 stars They Do Not Support New DRM Firmware - Don't Buy
Published 22 months ago by jtweav

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars A bit noisy for a bedroom and flaky but dirt cheap, September 26, 2012
This review is from: Digix BD-500 Blu-Ray Disc Player (Electronics)
In a weird experimental mood, I was suddenly in the mood to see just how cheap I could go to get a decent blu-ray setup, so I picked one of these up recently, new, at a big box outlet with a used floor-model LG flat panel. The price was so low, I was a bit shocked the setup would work at all. When I got home, I plugged it in using a dollar store HDMI cable, and used another dollar store ethernet cable to connect to streaming. For the few DVDs and Blu-rays I had a chance to test initially, I was amazed this thing actually played fairly well. Streaming over wire and setup weren't an issue, since I sort of run my own home network and host like a dozen domains out of my living room. Picture is the usual blocky style from online streams, but DVDs and Blu-rays I first tested played pretty well.

If that was the end of the story, I would say, go out and buy this immediately, because I was ready to give it 5 stars.

But over the last few weeks, the player is noticeably noisy with discs. Yeah, I guess I noticed it at first too, but was so amazed it could play that I overlooked it. And during the day, a small amount of motor "whirring" isn't a big deal. But watching a movie at night in a bedroom, and the whir is very noticeable.

Next, while this player was great with the first few movies I put in, about 10% of the videos I have don't play well. It's as if the DSS crypto on those isn't supported. And also, I occasionally boot, and the locale comes up in Chinese, then switches to English.

Clearly there are performance and firmware glitches. Not enough for me to pull my hair out, but definitely not something for the wife and kids who could get confused and wonder what's going on. Still a good value. I gave this 4 stars since I still have it in the bedroom and it's still playing videos. Also, Digix infrared remote codes aren't compatible with my cable/satellite dish programmable remote, so I have to keep the player remote handy. That isn't an issue with my big-name brand players. Not a big deal, but something to be aware of.

1.0 out of 5 stars They Do Not Support New DRM Firmware - Don't Buy, February 14, 2013
This review is from: Digix BD-500 Blu-Ray Disc Player (Electronics)
I rented a blue ray from RedBox and they said that the blue ray would not play because my Digix needs a firmware update. Then Digix says on their website: "The disc has new Digital Rights Management (DRM) code that prevents our player from playing the disc. Unfortunately, the only way we can update our player to read new DRM code is provided by the chipset manufacturer we use in our player. They no longer provide support for their Blu-Ray chipsets as of 2011." [...] Of course I emailed them and they could do nothing for me. Don't waste your time with this crappy brand.

1.0 out of 5 stars FRUSTRATION... Unreliable, May 11, 2013
Rhonda Kositzky (Manistee, MI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Digix BD-500 Blu-Ray Disc Player (Electronics)
The Blu-ray player and streaming video worked for about a week. Then the machine started to lock-up when trying to load Netflix. Then the machine would shut down and re-boot all by itself. It would sometimes fail to receive signal then shut down and re-boot. unreliable low-cost player. DONT BUY THIS ONE.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this product!, April 27, 2014
This review is from: Digix BD-500 Blu-Ray Disc Player (Electronics)
I bought this on a whim and could not be happier! It's in my living room and the Pandora feature is awesome for entertainment!

2.0 out of 5 stars Usually works, but flimsiest home entertainment hardware I've ever owned, February 15, 2014
This review is from: Digix BD-500 Blu-Ray Disc Player (Electronics)
I got it for Christmas with my Dad almost apologizing, "it's a cheap blu ray player". I've used it for the last two years, and it's easily the most unreliable piece of electronics I've owned. Sometimes it will just freeze and refuse to turn on, leaving you to unplug it and plug it back in from the wall. You can't do this from the back of the device, so you have to dig around behind your couch or entertainment center to hard reboot it. Sometimes it won't eject discs or makes you wait 60 seconds before finally coughing it up. Blu rays also take forever to load, so pop one in and go someplace else for a while.

All that said, it plays blu rays and I've been using it for about two years now. I'll finally get a nicer one now that I have a 3D projector, since this one doesn't support 3D Blu Ray.

3.0 out of 5 stars Watch out for the functionality, September 9, 2013
This review is from: Digix BD-500 Blu-Ray Disc Player (Electronics)
I have ordered two of these boxes. The first one fooled me because it required a hard router connection and I had see another model (#520) that did not. Assumed that all worked the same way. That one was returned. The second box arrived for another TV and I had decied to go ahead with a wired connection. In this one, the Netflix connection did not work. the answer I got from the tech support was that "it did not work and to send it back for a newer model." The User Guide showed it working for that model. I take the blame for not reading the (vague) technical description regarding the hard-wired aspect, but the inability to link to Netflix clearly is a flaw that should have been defined. The newer model 520 has all of this, so be careful in ordering a cheaper model 500.

5.0 out of 5 stars blue ray digix bd 500, April 29, 2013
This review is from: Digix BD-500 Blu-Ray Disc Player (Electronics)
DIGIX BD-500 BLU-RAY PLAYER, WORKS GREAT, IN BED ROOM FOR DVD'S USE ..PERFECT FOR GRANDCHILDREN SLEEP OVER, AAAAAAAAAA++++++

EASY TO INSTALL..

5.0 out of 5 stars great, February 8, 2013
J. White (Snellville, Ga United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Digix BD-500 Blu-Ray Disc Player (Electronics)
as desired, shipped quickly, it was was a Christmas gift, and I have heard no complaints from the ones who got it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a problem., December 26, 2012
K. G. Reid "KGR" (Grosse Pointe, MI USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Digix BD-500 Blu-Ray Disc Player (Electronics)
For me the BD520 has worked just fine. I've set it up to stream Netflix, VUDU, and Pandora without a hitch. I've played DVD's and CD's without a problem. I actually paid nothing for it since I had a 5 year extended warranty on a TV I had bought and never had to use so they gave me half back towards electronics so I bought two of them for 10 cents. They were priced at $58 each at ABC Warehouse in the Detroit area. Not a bad deal.

1.0 out of 5 stars Piece of junk, December 8, 2012
This review is from: Digix BD-500 Blu-Ray Disc Player (Electronics)
I purchased the player in early 2012 and after a month, the video output from the HDMI port died suddenly. I called the Digix support line, and it appeared that they are aware of the defect with an older lot of this model and asked that I returned the player for exchange. I brought the player to the warehouse in Irvine and got a new player. After 7 months, the video output died again. I was really happy about the region-free capability for DVD's but I have never seen a product so unreliable. Do NOT buy it unless you're just into wasting your money.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›