5.0 out of 5 stars Bear Family scores a huge win with this series, December 30, 2010
BearStar (Redmond, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dim Lights Thick Smoke & Hillbilly: 1945 (Audio CD)
Bear Family Records -- a German product -- are indeed difficult to obtain (especially with some ZShop retailers like CD Wolf no longer able to sell Bear Family product). But, as with all Bear Family releases, if you are an aficionado of the subject matter, then you will quickly fall in love with the quality of the mastering, the thoughtfulness of the notes and the sturdy packaging. This entire series is a very knowledgeable and accurate attempt to put you in back into what country music you would have heard listening to a radio in the particular year of the issue. Bear Family gives you an accurate cross-slice, not just a random set of hits. The entire series is very much worth any wait. Don't let an unfortunate one-star review posted before the reviewer even had the disk scare you away from hours of true pleasure.

5.0 out of 5 stars No One Could Do Better!, October 24, 2011
G. Brickwood (Little Meadows, PA) - See all my reviews
Bear Family outdoes themselves again with this collection. Many country and western "standards", some by artists I'm not familiar with, even though I know the songs well. And some of them are gems like Jenny Lou Carson's "Jealous Heart" or Lulu Belle & Scotty Wiseman's version of "Have I Told You Lately That I Love You".

Not to be forgotten, the history and recording notes provided in the accompanying book is both informative and delightful!

It's going to be a lot of fun collecting the entire series!

5.0 out of 5 stars Dad Loves It, April 27, 2013
Bought as a gift for my father and he just loves them. They come with a great book within the CD case with lots of fun facts about the artists, the record labels and the times. Glad I took the time to find them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, August 5, 2014
R. P. L. (Bay Area, CA) - See all my reviews
I like it a lot. I wouldn't call it "hillbilly" music, however. Just music. Good music.

Dim Lights Thick Smoke & Hillbilly: 1945
Dim Lights Thick Smoke & Hillbilly: 1945 by Various Artists (Audio CD - 2008)
Click for more info
Temporarily out of stock. Order now and we'll deliver when available.
Rate and Discover Movies