Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Jessy Lanza Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation

on February 22, 2014
This light is extremely bright! Using my Nikon D600 camera with 6 NiMH AA's installed in the light with no diffuser, in a dark room, an exposure of a white wall from 1 meter is:
ISO 100, f/2.8, 1/160 with center being brightest and severe falloff at the edges of a 24mm frame. This equates to around 2600 Lux @ 1 meter.

I used an Extech multimeter to measure at the battery terminals:
On 6 AA's at 7.76 V (no load), at full light power, current consumption is 1.4 Ah; at half brightness (one stop darker) 560 mAh; and at minimum power (5.67 stops less than full) 26 mAh (the light turns off after this level).

It's impossible to look at the light at full power and for video work, I can't imagine ever using it for fill, but it certainly can light up a large room if you need to. You could save money and buy the CN-160 if you need it just for fill light.

In a real world example, at full power with diffuser, in an 8x12 room facing the long way @24mm, the D600 metered ISO 200, f/2.8, 1/30. You would have to shoot at least at 50mm to minimize vignetting though.

If you would use this at full power, you would need a change of batteries every hour. However for typical video fill light use, it might last 4-10 hours depending on brightness.

White balance according to Lightroom custom WB picker with a D600 RAW file on a calibrated neutral target is:
Orange Diffuser: 3350K, -4
White Diffuser: 5100K, +11
Pink Diffuser: 4950K, -12
review image
66 comments|174 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 15, 2014
The price is best among similar offerings. Feature set is good. The problem is the color difference between same product. It is useful as a single light source, but its use as part multiple lighting setup is hampered by inconsistent light colors. Latest version with clean white light is preferable to older version with green cast.

Neewer should be commended for the price. At this price, there are no better alternatives. This is good for videographers and photographers alike.

It is bright. It is portable; it takes 6 AA batteries. There is also adapter on the bay, which I have yet to test.

The only problem is in color of the light. There is one product in name, but two distinct versions in terms of color. One is clean white like one expects from a white light. The other has green cast; this is the older version.

Slight color cast itself is not a difficult problem. Modern cameras have white-balance. The real problem is when the two gets mixed in the lighting set. Side-by-side, the color difference is noticeable. The newer clean white is preferable.

Source of the problem is they are sold mixed when you order from Amazon. Sometimes you will get the former, sometimes you will get the latter. I ordered three lights on three different occasions. I received one clean white version and two green cast versions.

To ascertain which was the right one, I ordered direct from Neewer via the bay. My suspicion was right, they had fixed the green cast problem in newer ones. They also got rid of the magenta filter, which is no longer needed to counteract the green spike. Although not always the case, telltale sign of newer version is "Neewer" branding on the box and on the light. Older version will say "Nanguang."

This LED light is still an excellent value. If you are planning to use just one light, then buy it and set white-balance. However, if you are planning to use more than one, be sure to get the newer version with the clean white light.
33 comments|96 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 14, 2013
I have both the CN-160 and the CN-216. The following is a comparison of the two.

The CN-216 has two additional rows of led lights. Both the CN216 and CN160 seem to be the same size and in the same container. Both take 6 AA batteries or other batteries with the adapter. The CN160 seems to have a mirrored reflector behind the leds where as the CN216 does not.

In casual non-scientific testing, the CN216 seems brighter. The color temperature are different between the two lights. I did not use an instruments to test out the lights and these were just my casual observations.

There is also a CN-304 which accepts 8 AA batteries and should be larger in size. I tried to order it on Amazon, but was told that it was damaged in shipping and no others were available.
11 comment|55 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 4, 2014
I bought this light because I had seen so many good reviews and I figured I'd check it out myself. I plan on buying at least two if not four more! This light has a ton of throw, no flicker, and can be used in so many ways! The dimmer is fantastic, the ability to use both camera and AA batteries is great and the overall build is good! The only downside is that it doesn't come with a case/bag, but if I have multiples I'll put them all together in a case anyway.

GREAT BUY!
on December 20, 2013
I also have a CN-160 and the CN-216 is considerably brighter.
Both have a very good light and the colors on the pictures are vivid.
on November 4, 2013
for the price, this light is awesome. the light is bright, nicely even
and easy to adjust. the filters are fairly sturdy and very effective
for changing color temps. bonus that it works with AA batteries.
definitely worth trying out.
on March 11, 2015
This on camera light is great! I was afraid about the quality, but it's more than i expected.
I would recommend it with a pack of AA Batteries.
review image review image review image review image
on July 28, 2015
Purchased three. They are not super bright and the beam is not "wide" by any stretch of the imagination {as stated in the description}. However, they do serve as inexpensive fill lights indoors when filming with some natural light on the subject. And just FYI, when mounted on Nikon DSLR, still must use batteries. The Manfrotto Mini-Tripods work as a base for each of these lights. There are a bunch of problems with these lights. The light is not consistent, they fade as the battery power fades. This means that the output is different based on where you are in battery life. Further, the lights go through batteries extremely fast.
on June 22, 2015
Awesome light! It's really bright, and if you have a cheaper camera (like I do), one that had a pretty bad light sensor, this will drastically improve your quality. My Canon Vixia HF R50 does not do well in low-light situations. Partnered up with the softbox for it, this looks amazing. I love the fact you can dim the brightness, as this does get very bright, and in some shots, it could easily be too bright. I'll probably take this camping with me since it is easily better than any flashlights I have. The batteries last a while, unless you're on full brightness. I've yet to completely kill batteries in it, I just charge them after each shoot. I never seem to have a problem. They have lasted through several shoots without recharging, so it shouldn't be much of a problem.
on May 5, 2015
This item is shipped in a rigid container filled with bubble wrap to protect it in shipment. Its performance on and off the camera to record still and motion films is impressive at this economical price. I have used it for several projects and it has exceeded my anticipated performance. It is reasonable and well worth the price considering the effectiveness.