4.0 out of 5 stars A little disappointing ...
I really wanted to LOVE this book, I really did. I'm such a huge fan of Guy Fieri's "Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives" television show, and I've been hoping he'd come out with a cookbook containing recipes featured on his shows.

Published on November 20, 2008 by L. Mountford

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, but not much of a cookbook...
Published on October 30, 2008 by Tracy L.

4.0 out of 5 stars A little disappointing ..., November 20, 2008
L. Mountford (Bellingham, WA United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Diners, Drive-ins and Dives: An All-American Road Trip . . . with Recipes! (Food Network) (Paperback)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

I'm a sucker for great road food, and often go out of my way to try a "hole in the wall" diner. Guy has traveled the US highlighting exactly the kinds of places I love to visit. His show on Food Network is loads of fun. No one can describe food like Guy, with his blend of humor and killer adjectives.

The humor doesn't translate all that well in print, and the jokes just aren't that funny. But I didn't get this book for the jokes -- I got it for the recipes.

The recipes that are included are OK -- but if you're a fan of the show, don't expect to find very many of the dishes Guy spotlighted. There are a few (the Cap'n Crunch French Toast from the Blue Moon Cafe in Baltimore, for example), but the bulk of the recipes are "new."

It was more than a little frustrating to read about the wonderful dishes in Guy's descriptions of the restaurant, only to find few recipes for any of them. While each establishment is represented by a recipe, almost none of the recipes are described in the narrative.

For example, Baby Blues Bar-B-Q in Venice, CA -- Guy waxes rhapsodic over the "killer mac and cheese made from four cheeses" and "grilled corn with chipotle-poblano butter and cotijo cheese sprinked on top." The featured recipe: sautéed okra. Huh?

That's not to say these are not GOOD recipes -- in fact, most of them look pretty darned tasty. And if your expectations don't include recipes for dishes featured on the show, these will be just fine.

As a travelogue, it's probably OK, too. And maybe that was its intended purpose, rather than a "cookbook." Or maybe it can't really decide what it wants to be.

But if you're like me, you might be a little disappointed that the dishes included in the book are NOT the ones that made your mouth water when you watched the show OR read about them here.

4.0 out of 5 stars What fun!, October 22, 2008
Misfit (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
And one book I will take on my next road trip - although why CaveMan Chicken is not in here......

Guy Fieri from the Food Channel takes the reader on a tour of his favorite Diners Drive-Ins and Dives around the country. The book is broken up into regional sections - Northeast and Mid-Atlantic, South, Midwest and West & Southwest. Each place gets a two page bit with pictures describing the restaurant, its history, owners and their specialty to fame. There's also a box on a sidebar called "Track it Down" with full business name, address, phone numbers and website (if available). Also included are recipes from many of the featured restaurants, and most look quite simple with minimal fuss and ingredients. Whilst I'm not much for spending time in the kitchen a few of these are putting me in the mood -- Cap'n Crunch French Toast, BBB Mac and Cheese, Chorizo Garbage Plate, a potato chip "In"crusted Dolphin (mahi mahi) sandwich and more.

The book is paperback 7" x 9" (should slip easily into your luggage), and the photos are all black and white and not on glossy paper. At the back of the book is a recipe index by type (breakfast, starters, dinner, etc.) along with a List of restaurants. I've not perused others roadside dining books to draw a comparison to, but I've found it quite entertaining perusing the recipes, as have my coworkers -- definitely a good conversation piece. Four stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars crazy tasty, October 24, 2008
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Guy Fieri was the first winner of the "Next Food Network Star" andhe is no flash in the pan. His tv show is entertaining. But how does the book stack up?
Very well. Mr Fieri visits (and revisits) over 50 "diners, drive-ins and dives" with a signature recipe from each location. The recipes are as diverse as "Cap'n Crunch French Toast" from the Blue Moon Cafe' in Baltimore, Maryland to a falafel from the Original Falafel's Drive-In in San Jose', California. The restaurant descriptions make you want to hop in the car and check them out.
I would recommend this book to anyone who wanted to try any sort of new recipe, as the book includes a diverse group of recipes. I would also recommend it to anyone who is a fan of Mr Fieri (and who isn't?). Finally, if you're planning a road trip, this is the book for you. You can stay away from the chain restaurants and try something unique to the area you're visiting. Or you might find a homegrown delight in your own backyard. This book is great fun to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Like diners and dives? Check this out!, November 6, 2008
Steven A. Peterson (Hershey, PA (Born in Kewanee, IL)) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I'm addicted to Guy Fieri's Food Network show, "Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives." Whenever I have a chance, I tune in; normally, it's a cool one hour trip across the country. His enthusiasm comes right through the screen as he tries out different dishes at each establishment.

This book provides a sampling of some of those establishments across the country. The format is simple: a brief description of the diner or deli or dive, a photo of the place, and one or more illustrative recipes. In a sense, using one of his own terms, this is a trip to "Flavortown." One nice touch: his recognition of key players in his crew, as they work together as a team across the country.

Some examples of the places he looks at and the recipes that he spotlights. The "Blue Moon Cafe" in Baltimore, Maryland. I am looking forward, in the near future, to a long weekend in Baltimore; it's an enjoyable visit. This time, I may choose to try out this place. He focuses on breakfast in his two cafe examination of this cafe. The recipe given is intriguing--but not for me, Cap'n Crunch French Toast. I'm not going to ever make this, but it's fun to imagine making it and tasting it. Ingredients: heavy cream, eggs, vanilla, Cap'n Crunch, sugar, bread, sugar, berries. The 5 steps in the recipe sure look doable for amateur chefs. Interesting. . . .

Then, there is "Panini Pete's," located in Fairhope, Alabama. One interesting aspect: the head cook is a classically trained European chef. One recipe: Pete's Rubbed and Almost Fried Turkey Sandwich. Focaccia bread, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, Kosher salt and pepper, Dijon mustard, fried turkey (a menu provided for that, too), roasted red pepper, baby greens, mozzarella, and garlic mayo. Oooh. Read the recipe and imagine the tasty results!

Then, there is Joe's Farm Grill in Arizona. Much of the food is grown right there. One specialty is hamburgers, with all sorts of eye popping toppings (e.g., apple-cider smoked bacon, pepperoni, roasted red peppers, and so on). But this isn't just a burger joint. Witness the recipe provided--Asian Slaw with Spicy Thai Vinaigrette. Combine the vegetables, including green and red and napa cabbage, julienned green onion, julienned red bell pepper, shredded carrots, salt and pepper, topped with spicy Thai vinaigrette. Looks yummy.

Anyhow, this is worth the price of purchase simply for the description of the diners, delis, and dumps--and seeing the building where the establishment is located. The recipes are interesting, too, although I would not even think of making many of these (some may be great tasting, but they're awfully fatty and loaded with cholesterol). If you like Guy Fieri's show, you'll enjoy this book, I think.

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, but not much of a cookbook..., October 30, 2008
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I love the TV show and could not wait to get the book. While it's a fun book, it's a bit of a disappointment in terms of being a recipe book (most of the recipes in the book are not anything I would want to try making), but it's still a very good companion piece to the TV show. Anyone looking for an actual "cookbook" might want to avoid this one, but if you're a fan of the show. Go ahead and give it a try. Three and a half stars for this one.

2.0 out of 5 stars Sadly, It Doesn't Live Up To Potential, November 9, 2008
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This book, given the places Guy Fieri has visited, had great potential, but it failed to live up to that potential. I love the show and to eat at the types of places that he frequents, so I had high hopes that the book would provide a number of new places to explore and provide recipes so that I could recreate the food from some favorites at home.

While the book looks substantial, it only highlights a relatively few establishments. There are regional headings, which tend to be very broad (New England/ Mid-Atlantic, etc) and each only has a small number of eateries. New England has a whooping 4 places listed, which is about the number that I could point him towards in single towns in New England. And, with the exception of Baltimore and the State of New Jersey, most other areas are equally under represented.

The recipes are equally sparse in most cases. A goodly number feature recipes that could be easily figured out by a diner at a particular establishment without the help of a trained restaurateur. There are recipes for burgers and sandwiches galore, along with such things as coleslaw. Not the most interesting or inspiring book.

I would have preferred that he visited a number of establishments in a given region and then written a book by region. By doing that, he would have created a series of books that could have traveled with me on trips...as it is, this isn't worth the trouble to pack. I usually know where I am headed, so I can easily photocopy the places that might hold interest.

This had strong potential, which in my opinion was wasted. More time spent on the book would have yielded a better product that could have started a line of books. I doubt I will bother with anything else he prints unless I check it out in advance.

5.0 out of 5 stars A "Must Have" for DD&D Fans, November 1, 2008
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The perfect natural extension of the Food Network show. If I ever take a cross-country road trip, this is going to be my primary reference - kept right on the front seat.

In the book, Fieri hightlights over 50 of his 'discoveries' across the nation from his show. He includes a short recap, interesing facts about each place, pictures (usually of Fieri hamming it up with the staff), and interesting side-bars written in true Fieri style.

The biggest surprise bonus is you also get a recipe or two from each establishment. (Getting the recipe for Duarte's crab cioppino is, in itself, worth the price of the book!)

I'm guessing a big source of hits on the Food Network web site is to find the exact location of restaurants featured on Fieri's show. (I'm still trying to find the elusive taco truck north of San Jose. Also, is it just me, or is the Food Network web site truly one of the more difficult ones to navigate?)

Regardless, you now have the perfect reference -- descriptions, locations and recipe's included! And, as expected -- coming from Fieri -- it's all done in a very entertaining manner.

1.0 out of 5 stars What was the point of this?, June 24, 2009
I don't know what I was thinking here. I like the show, but what was I hoping for from this book? Perhaps, A bit more depth and behind the scenes info? Well, if you're looking for an overview of the show with even less information than the show supplied, buy this book. Even the recipes are weak, with nothing here that couldn't be found someplace else or figured out from watching the show (We're not talking haute cuisine.). Throughout the book there are even "Guys Asides," little comments attached to the main article, which seem strangely redundant in a book that he has "written." Hey, this is my fault, I bought it without checking. Unless you are a huge fan of the show or of Guy's odd coif and bling, this one will not be missed on your bookshelf.

2.0 out of 5 stars Too little of everything, November 6, 2008
Bob Costa (FL United States) - See all my reviews
I have been a DDD fan from the beginning. I have seen every episode at least once, some thrice. I have wanted a book forever, and have long thought about what I wanted it to be. So maybe that is why I am disappointed so much.

I was hoping for a travel guide that I could use to seek out DDD favorites. But this guide does not cover everyplace he has been, just some of them. And it lacks a good index by state and city for the locations he does cover. You can flip thru the pages by part of the country, but it is tedious and not as easy as it could be. A national map with numbered locations would have been good too. The fact that the pictures of the people and locations are black and white keeps it from becoming exciting or make me want to visit. A black and white picture of a building sign is just a waste of book space. These places have character, and you get NONE of it in the pictures. The whole book feels boring and drab from the minute you pick it up.

The book tries to be part travel guide, part cookbook, and part show diary. IMHO, it fails at all three. It has a recipe from most of the selected locations, but no pictures of the food. That may be just as well, because black and white pictures of food would take the book to a new level of dullness. The narratives for each location are uninspired, and sound like they were written by a newly-graduated ghost writer rather than the inimitable Guy. Most of it reads more boringly than a small-town restaurant review. As a show diary, it lacks any funny stories or off-camera tidbits that might have brought some humor and interest to an otherwise exceedingly dull book.

Maybe i will feel better about this book once I make a few recipes. But I suspect that this one is going to end up on eBay or Amazon Used Books in a few weeks.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Profile of American "Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives", November 20, 2008
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Guy Fieri's Diners, Drive-in's and Dives is a very interesting concept for a book, adapted from his hit show. Each restaurant is profiled with some history and claim to fame. The book is sorted by part of the USA, rather than the type of meal. The photos are of the restaurants and owners, not of the recipes in the book.

In the back, the book lists all the recipes by breakfast, lunch, dinner, etc. and also lists all the restaurants profiled along with their addresses and a checklist, if you manage to make your own road trip. There are a few places profiled within 2 hours of our house that I'd have never known about without this book, and definitely will try to venture out and try those places the locals love and others may not know about.

Recipes are adapted from the restaurants and include items such as: Cap'N Crunch French Toast, Lobster Quesadillas, Pork & Sweet Potato Empanadas and Chunky Monkey Pancakes. Lots of comfort food items but you'll also find some surprises like pho noodles or ahi tuna burgers.

One thing I would have liked to see (true for any cookbook) would be photos of the recipes. However, this book isn't primarily a cookbook, the recipes are more a "bonus" to the content profiling the diners & dives. It's more of a travel book / slice of Americana for food lovers. I recommend the book for anyone who loves Guy's show, road-tripping or eating at diners, drive-ins and dives.

$21.99 $17.02