5.0 out of 5 stars There�s not a wasted page in the book � an excellent job.
Published on July 31, 1999

2.0 out of 5 stars Half the book deals with cooking instead of raw food.
Although the cover is filled with photos of raw fruits and vegetables, and the title is "Dining in the RAW" with the word "RAW" capitalized, the book is not a compendium of exclusively raw food recipes. Nearly half the book describes cooked foods. For those who have adopted a raw diet, half this book is irrelevant.
Published on May 23, 2000

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars There�s not a wasted page in the book � an excellent job., July 31, 1999
This review is from: Dining In The Raw (Paperback)
Rita Romano talks intelligently and to the point on how to eat healthy. For a reader that doesn't know the first thing about eating raw foods, how to start, what's good for them and what's bad, this book is exceptional. It is well laid out and is chock full of information. My profuse thanks to Rita - I had always wished, reading book after book, that someone would write a no-nonsense practical book that explained things start to finish in an informative and easy-to-understand manner. "Dining in the Raw" does. There really is not a wasted page in the book - anyone buying this book gets their money's worth.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent cookbook, not 100% raw recipes but a great start!, June 13, 2003
Melanie "mongoliamel" (Cass Lake, MN, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dining In The Raw (Paperback)
Despite the title, this isn't a one hundred percent raw cookbook. As the subtitle announces, it's actually includes recipes for "groundbreaking natural cuisine that combines the techniques of macrobiotic, vegan, allergy-free, and raw food disciplines."
That said, it's one heck of a cook (and uncook-) book! If you are not completely convinced that you want to go raw, or you wish to make the transition gradually, this book offers a combination of terrific recipes for both uncooked salads, soups, and sauces, as well as cooked grains, soy products, and desserts.
The author includes information on digestion, nutrients, and food combining. The glossary in the back will help you identify some of the more unusual ingredients, though if you are an accomplished vegan cook, you are probably familiar with most of them. There is also a section on germination so that you can start sprouting.
This book appeals to me as a someone who is leaning toward raw foods but is not yet ready to go all the way. It's for you if you want to include more raw meals in your diet, and I promise you will love the recipes! They are some of the most unique and delicious I've tried.

2.0 out of 5 stars Half the book deals with cooking instead of raw food., May 23, 2000
This review is from: Dining In The Raw (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great intro to live foods; delicious, imaginative meals., May 8, 1998
This review is from: Dining In The Raw (Paperback)
Excellent both as a cookbook and an introduction to live foods, macrobiotic dining, etc. Both the raw and cooked recipes are imaginative and delicious. Her tone is straightforward and empowering; she eschews the zeal often found in writings about these dietary disciplines. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars A+ for Rita -- nutrition 101 for me, January 31, 2001
This review is from: Dining In The Raw (Paperback)
Wow! After being a vegetarian for nearly thirty years I thought "no meat, fish, fowl, or eggs" was doing a good job of it. Well, there's more to it: fresh, whole, uncooked food is better for you. In this book Rita explains how food is digested, what causes our bodies to make fat, what the aging process really is, and the relationship between what we eat and how it affects us. Then she artfully details what to eat and how to prepare it. Reading this book was a revelation. The recipes promote good health, weight loss (if you need it), and energy. The cooked foods (those mainly with beans and whole grains) are very practicle if you enjoy balance with your purity... :) Thanks Rita!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book made me contact AUTHOR, March 14, 2002
This review is from: Dining In The Raw (Paperback)
I've really gotten into macrobiotic and raw foods. I want to be healthy until I die which I hope is a long way from my 59 years...I enjoyed it so much I contacted the author Rita Romano and asked her to teach me to cook. This she has now done. Great experience and great kitchen. Highly recommend it. I'm a southern girl with old southern ways so you can imagine how much I had to learn...We cooked and ate what we cooked. I truly learned a lot, especially about nuts and grains. Hopefully, now with Rita's teachings, I can teach my children and grandchildren. The grandchildren are really into it also. Eat and Stay Healthy. Best to you all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Informative!, December 30, 2001
This review is from: Dining In The Raw (Paperback)
I am a vegan and am thinking about a raw diet. This is a great transitional book! Even though all of the recipes are not raw there is so much needed to know information before the recipes. I would suggest buying this book for a health nut that is not a vegetarian, I think they would definetly make the switch. Some might find the title deceiving but its a nice book to have even if you're a raw foodist.

5.0 out of 5 stars ingeniously "combines the techniques of macrobiotic, vegan, allergy-free, and raw food disciplines", June 20, 2007
This review is from: Dining In The Raw (Paperback)
I just recently ran across this 1992 publication in a local Borders and I nearly fell over when I read the subtitle: "Groundbreaking Natural Cuisine that Combines (you guessed it) the Techniques of Macrobiotic, Vegan..." FINALLY -- a "cookbook" and nutritional study that catered to the constant flux of the human's daily needs. I've been vegan for a few years now, and it's only been recently that I've been willing to go through the challenge of giving up the last poisons available to someone on a vegan diet: sugar and refined, processed foods. Though I love Vegan Cupcakes and all of that, it's time to get real. I've been non-stop studying BOTH raw foods and macrobiotics -- and I feel like there's a happy medium somewhere between the two philosophies, both of which I find incredibly convincing and beneficial in their own ways. I've been intent upon finding my own diet which includes both of these essentially vegan schools of thought, and I've found an ally in Rita Romano. I'm ecstatic this book fell into my hands and anyone that has the independence of mind to fashion their own diet, keeping in mind what's best for their own body, must have this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite in my "raw" collection, March 8, 2007
This review is from: Dining In The Raw (Paperback)
I've got a fetish for uncook books, I have a half-dozen at least, and this is the one I use the most often. I like this book specifically BECAUSE it's not neurotic about what's TRULY RAW and what's not. Some of the recipes are cooked. So if you are one of those people who thinks that A SINGLE BITE OF COOKED FOOD IS POISON and NO COOKED FOOD SHALL EVER PASS MY LIPS AGAIN, please, by all means, indulge your orthorexia with a more PURELY raw book. If, however, you are a rational human who realizes that a big increase in raw foods in your diet would be really healthy but a bite of cooked food won't kill you, then this is marvelous. Romano gives information not only on raw foods, but vegan living, food combining, macrobiotic principles, etc. The recipes are all very simple-- unlike, say, Juliano's book, where you'd have a hard time finding most of the ingredients in ANY natural foods store (still, that one is sure fun to read and look at, so long as you don't have any delusions of making any of the recipes).

I love this book.

2.0 out of 5 stars NOT for people transitioning to raw food..here's why, July 17, 2007
This review is from: Dining In The Raw (Paperback)
Most of the raw recipes have about 5 ingredients, 1 of which is almost always Braggs Liquid Aminos. I've tried to like Braggs for seven years now and I just can't. It's nasty. The seasoned 100 percent raw fooder may find these palatable but to a newbie, most of the recipes will be bland AT BEST, gag worthy at worst. Like others say, there are a significant amount of cooked recipes in the book(the ones with tempeh are actually pretty good, if you're into that) so I'd say overall this is more of a macro-biotic cookbook than a raw one. I haven't used it in five years but now that I've been a raw foodist for two months, some of the recipes I wouldn't even have considered before may appeal to me. For a transitioning raw foodie, I really reccommend Jennifer Cornbleet's Raw Food Made Easy for 1 or 2 people.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Dining In The Raw
Dining In The Raw by Rita Romano (Paperback - July 1, 1997)
Used & New from: $0.01