4.0 out of 5 stars yes
Published on June 11, 2009 by greenturtlemoon

3.0 out of 5 stars Need software to take full advantage of this cookbook.
Published on March 18, 2008 by kiwanissandy

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Need software to take full advantage of this cookbook., March 18, 2008
This review is from: Dinner is Ready - 30 Meals in One Day (Paperback)
The book is titled 30 meals in one day but it's really not 30 different meals, her suggestion is to cook 2 sets of 15 meals. There are hundreds of recipes in this cookbook broken down by the way they're prepared, stove-top, oven, assemble, or slow-cooker. Her suggestion is to make 2 stove-top, 2 oven and 2 crock-pot meals and then 9 counter top assembled meals. That's 15 meals but you would double prepare them so it comes out to 30. And it really doesn't take much more effort to make 2 of something than one so a very good concept.

The down side is picking which of the 15 meals you want to prepare. This book uses software (purchased separately) to take full advantage of its potential. You'd really need the software to type in the 15 meals you want so it will print you a complete grocery list. Otherwise you'd have to take some time figuring out how many carrots you need or how much many green peppers, or how many eggs, etc and you'd have to do that with every ingredient and every single recipe and then double them. It would be very time consuming and if you miscalculated or missed an ingredient your cooking could come to an abrupt halt.

The book does not lay flat so her suggestion is to hand-write all the recipes and then lay them out so you can follow each recipe in sequence and not have to flip back and forth between 234 pages. That is also where the software would come in handy, just print the recipes you want to make.

After you've hand written out all your recipes the author suggests starting the first slow-cooker recipe. She says to start the hardest, longest recipes first but you have no way of really knowing which ones fall in that category because there are no prep or cook times listed up front. You'd have to read each and every recipe to get to the instructions that tell you if it's cooked for an hour, cooked for 15 minutes or not cooked at all and just assembled. You would think that would have been a very easy thing to add at the beginning of all the recipes since she probably has done it a hundred times. Many cookbooks list 15 minutes prep, 1 hr cook, etc so at a glance you know the timetable you're talking about. But anyway you start the slow-cooker recipe first then move on to filling the oven. Then you start your stove-top recipe. While all that is cooking you then move on to assembling recipes at the counter.

***

Amazon is having trouble getting reviews to appear on line in a timely manner so after writing a huge in-depth review it has never appeared. So I will wait until this is viewable by the public and then reiterate the review I did from before. I will add to this review, this is the 5th time I've tried to leave a review for this book and it never appear. Very strange.

4.0 out of 5 stars yes, June 11, 2009
This review is from: Dinner is Ready - 30 Meals in One Day (Paperback)
loved the product we only did 15 meals due to lack of organization. If i were better organized would have been better. the reason for only 4 out of 5 stars is due to a few duds in the recipes. Some things we will not try again. Also more direction on what to cook the items at when bringing outta the freezer. I can do fine with it but my husband who is using this the most does not find that information intuitive. So i tend to get a lot of phone calls. "honey this says to heat until bubbly. Do I heat it on the stove or in the oven and how long do I cook it for and at what temperature". Other than those little things the product is great for a family that is trying to watch their budget and to get off of the fast food track and has a busy schedule.

4.0 out of 5 stars working mom approves!, December 20, 2011
This review is from: Dinner is Ready - 30 Meals in One Day (Paperback)
I am a teacher and mother of an infant son. When I come home from school, all I want to do is maximize the limited time I have with my son. Cooking dinner is a strain most nights. I borrowed this cookbook from a fellow teacher who swears by it, then ended up buying it myself to have my own copy. I didn't have the software so planning my menu and list took a little bit of prep wok, but I didn't mind because I figured one big grocery haul and I will be set for over a month! I chose 2 crock pot meals, 2 oven meals, 2 stove top meals like it suggested. My only substitution is that instead of the 9 assemble meals it calls for, I did 14. I figured if I was going to go big, go BIG! I did my prep work (chopping veggies boiling chicken and cutting it up) the night before as suggested. HUGE time saver. The day of cooking I was in the kitchen for 8 hours- from beginning til the end with a spotless kitchen and all dishes washed and put away. I ended up with 40 meals. I did not double recipes- I just made them as is but portioned them into 2 containers or baggies each. Each meal looks like it has at minimum 3 good portions (if not more!). What I liked is that I spent $250 on groceries for 40 meals...That means dinner is costing only $6.25 a night (for me and my husband plus leftovers most nights!)The only reason I am giving 4 instead of 5 stars is because I do worry about the health factor of these recipes...very cream of mushroom/cream of chicken based and lots of cheese. But I did buy reduced fat of these items so hopefully that will make some difference. Hope this review helped- so excited to look into my stocked freezer and looking forward to many nights of dinner being all but ready!

3.0 out of 5 stars The concept is good . . . the recipes are okay, June 8, 2009
This review is from: Dinner is Ready - 30 Meals in One Day (Paperback)
Everything leading up to the recipes is good. I would buy the book for that information. When I made my recipes I was happy with most of them but there were some I would rather just throw away. She has quite a few recipes that mix ketchup and maple syrup. The taste it makes is awful and it is extremely unhealthy. The navajo taco sauce I poured down the drain after making. I couldn't take the smell. But I improvised and still ended up with a great dinner.

Would I recommend this book? Yes just read the recipes carefully before you make a bunch of meals out of them.

5.0 out of 5 stars for even the picky eaters, February 1, 2011
This review is from: Dinner is Ready - 30 Meals in One Day (Paperback)
Between work, dance lessons, Tae Kwon Do, volleyball etc., this book has helped me (the mom) out immensely! I have even made some of the recipies and frozen them in single portions. What I love about the recipies is that my picky eaters have not turned their noses up at one of the recipies yet! I must admit, I have yet to make all of them, but we have really enjoyed having dinner ready and not having to go to the grocery store on a daily basis. A super time saver!!! I also like that the book is put into sections on how they are prepared so that I can make one recipe in the oven and one on the stove at the same time so I am actually making two dinners at once! love that! I just ordered Lunch is Ready today and look forward to some more timesaving meals.

2.0 out of 5 stars A disappointment, August 25, 2009
This review is from: Dinner is Ready - 30 Meals in One Day (Paperback)
While this book has excellent tips for working efficiently, the recipes are not at all reflective of today's more nutritionally informed and health conscious eating. I would not feel good about feeding my family this way over the long haul. Recipes are laden with cream sauces, salt, and other unhealthy ingredients. The lasagna recipe tasted substandard (if you are used to excellent lasagna) because the noodles did not have a nice al dente texture but were rather starchy. If you're in a hurry, you're better off marinating portioned meats in freezer bags and pulling them out for the grill with some steamed vegetables--takes no more time and is a WHOLE lot better for you. This book was very disappointing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent recipes, November 13, 2012
Kathy Williams (JUNCTION CITY, KANSAS, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dinner is Ready - 30 Meals in One Day (Paperback)
I was skeptical about just using the CD of recipes so I ordered this book. I probably could have not ordered it - but there was some basic information that was helpful to me regarding how to go about the whole cooking process. I found the book to be informative and I could check out the recipes when I was away from my computer. A winner in our house!

4.0 out of 5 stars Dinner is Ready, February 24, 2011
Julie Walton (COLORADO SPRINGS, CO, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dinner is Ready - 30 Meals in One Day (Paperback)
I borrowed this cookbook from a friend and ended up buying my own.. It's so nice not having to come home from work and worry about what to make the family for dinner.. I love the idea as well as the family friendly recipes that we can all enjoy...

5.0 out of 5 stars "Dinner is Ready" should be titled "Dinner is Done!", October 9, 2009
D. Kelly (Springfield, Kentucky) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dinner is Ready - 30 Meals in One Day (Paperback)
I have at least a 100 cookbooks. This is the best I have seen in respect to ease and cost of the recipes. The time saving techniques were outstanding. I have already tried the suggestions and can say unequivocally that they work! If you are a working woman, and if you like simple, hearty, main dishes that are not only easy to make but delicious, and within the cost of a fixed income, then this is your book. A mother of 13 children (no kidding) recommended this book to me. It is even better for us empty nesters because the recipes go even further. The old saying "you can't teach an old dog new tricks" is definitely not true in this case. I'm an old dog, and I LOVE this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars easy to make and great recipies, April 29, 2009
This review is from: Dinner is Ready - 30 Meals in One Day (Paperback)
I've made several things in this book both before and after my daughter was born. I have yet to try something I did't care for. Easy to make and you don't have to guess if it will freeze well. I froze all of the meals and they all came out delicious.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Dinner is Ready - 30 Meals in One Day
Dinner is Ready - 30 Meals in One Day by Deanna Buxton (Paperback - February 15, 2007)
$14.95 $13.45