5.0 out of 5 stars Great Dino Book, November 5, 2009
This review is from: Dinosaur A-Z (Hardcover)
The first review of this book says it all- it's a great book for young dino lovers. We got for my son when he turned three and he still pulls it out regularly to read it and he just turned five. We love that on every page there is a comparison of each dinosaur to a human- after we read each page my son still asks "would that one fit in our house?" and then we check the human/dino figure to see. The one other neat thing about this book is that the last spread shows most of the dinosaurs in the book to scale with each other and several other modern day things (VW beetle, golden retriever, elephant, child, etc) mixed in, so you can really get an idea of how big these guys were.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fabulous first dinosaur book for little ones!, November 2, 2008
This review is from: Dinosaur A-Z (Hardcover)
"Dinosaur A-Z" is a fabulous first dinosaur book! So-o-o, why in the world would this book be out of print and no copies available from individual sellers?

Upon a bit of investigation I discovered its fraternal twin: Dinosaur ABC: Board Book. As you can see this second book is a board book, but is listed at 16 pages. The covers appear identical, except for A-Z and ABC. A reviewer of the ABC book describes it exactly like the A-Z one. I just want to be clear ABC is a board book and A-Z is a regular, paged book, although a reviewer indicated it is 32 pages.

Content in A-Z is bold and colorful. It appeals to younger dinosaur and book lovers in every way. Open the covers and find lime green on the inside cover and orange on the title page. Dinosaurs of all sizes are marching across to display their wildly varying sizes and shapes. Outlined around each page is a small strip of a somewhat checked pattern, adding to the visual effect.

To give an idea of what each page contains, here is the information for the Velociraptor (my favorite dino): First there's an in-your-face close-up. The background color is sky-blue. "V is for" then the letters across the bottom of the page--"Velociraptor" are dark lilac outlined in white. There is a comparative size chart with a human (man and raptor are about the same size). Captions pointing to various body parts, saying: "Sharp, curved teeth" and "Powerful jaws to tear through prey" and "Tail that helps with balance" and "Long, sharp claw." The self-identifying paragraph says: "I am one of the SCARIEST dinosaurs around--my name means 'speedy predator.' I hunt in packs, using the sharp claws on our middle toes to catch our dinner." And a pronunciation guide: "Say my name: va-LOSS-ah-RAP-tor."

Other dinosaurs include Allosaurus, Baryonyx, Diplodocus, Hadrosaurus, Janenschia, Leptoceratops, Ouranosaurus, Quetzalcoatlus, and Wannanosaurus. Some are familiar and some entirely new to me. There are, of course, 26 dinosaurs corresponding with the 26 letters.

One note: These dinosaurs were "supplied by Graham High of Centaur Studios." I cannot tell if the dinosaurs are computer-generated or models. At any rate the skin is what looks so museum-quality. (I googled Centaur Studios but there are too many entries to search further.)

A last note from the inside cover: "No dinosaurs were harmed during the making of this book." That's good to know to share with your kids.

Dinosaur A-Z
Dinosaur A-Z by Simon Mugford (Hardcover - 2005)
Used & New from: $0.98