Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Look Park Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

Format: Audio CD|Change

on October 30, 2010
I sought out the uncensored version of this album after getting burned in the past. The number of swears that would be masked would make this album virtually unusable. It would be a mistake not to get the unedited version.

That being said, I greatly enjoyed the album and will be seeking more from Motion City Soundtrack.
on April 22, 2011
I will keep it very short and simple. For those of you who feel that Even If It kills me is one of Motion City Soundtrack's better albums, please leave. Also, for those of you that feel that History Lesson is a horrible song, also leave. Although this album isn't amazing by any means, it is definitely solid. I admit I found myself a little disappointed by the lack of Moog, but the band has a right to experiment with their sound. I personally feel that this experiment didn't go horribly wrong.....All of you who gave this album very low ratings had a lot of ridiculous and off base claims. Go make your own music please, and ease up on the bitching.
on January 9, 2014
First thing, make sure you get the explicit album - too many curses to block out - it would just be unbearable if they did

It does have less keyboard than previous albums which is what set some songs far apart with a additional harmony/melody.

Justin (singer/writer/guitarist) continues to do great with his lyrical machinations and impressive vocal fluidity and range. The bass could be upped in the mix on some songs, though there are a few driving interesting basslines to be found.

Favorites:
Her Words Destroyed My Planet - "im taking an online course, im learning to speak japanese" - how can he sing this and make it sound good???
Pulp Fiction - high energy, keyboards
A Lifeless Ordinary - vocals are great
Stand Too Close - very simple musically, but just stands out for some reason
VINE VOICEon November 14, 2010
They've turned up the guitars and let them rip. Motion City Soundtrack work the best elements of pop-punk (think Blink-182, whose Mark Hoppus produces) and hyper-powered emo (think Fall Out Boy at their accelerated best) for "My Dinosaur Life." It's adolescent rock with punky snottiness mixed in with the catchy melodies and flippant attitude, all while poking fun at the whole genre.

After all, what band would openly cop to 'watching Veronica Mars again' while waiting up for their girlfriend without the credibility swirling the drain? Or claim that they should be better respected because of their good behavior, which they do on the opening track "Worker Bee"? But then they blow that opportunity sky-high with the musically hysterical "@!#?@!" where they go to the falsettos when they sing the Mother F-er chorus. It's a good joke and doesn't wear thin after repeated listens (as does the wretched "F-You" by Cee-lo).

Despite the humor, these are terse songs about relationships. Motion City Soundtrack pump enough energy into "Disappear," "Her Words Destroyed My Planet" or "History Lesson" (the obvious single) to cover the bitterness, and even when a savage lyric that describes a failed relationship as being

"Like a slasher film,
I'm torn in all directions,
the plot sucks
but the killings are gorgeous"

you can't help but smile. "My Dinosaur Life" is one of my faves for the year.
on February 1, 2010
With the emphasis on the Motion, Motion City Soundtrack once tried unsuccessfully to take the mantle of pop/rock from Blink-182. The pop was pretty good, but the rock kind of suffered. As a result, they now sound like a crazed Weezer after an all-night drug-binge. Mark Hoppus acts as band-wrangler this time, and the result is a pop/punk/rock tour de mayhem that brings down all musical minds like its cover depicts. And while they may still spend the first half of the album still trying to find themselves, as the cussing becomes more frequent, the quality also rises.

Highlights Include:
Her Words Destroyed My Planet
Delirium
Pulp Fiction
@!#?@!

Overall, MCS is improved in almost every way, lyrically, musically & in catchiness. And while I don't exactly see a mainstream hit here, all fans of the genre should be pretty pleased, and the band should gain a legion of fans here. It may not hit as high as in previous works, but it's still especially solid. So here's to more binges like My Dinosaur Life, I could get used to hangovers like this.

Real Score: 4.5

Note: Don't get the censored version of this album. MCS is a lot better at working curse words into their songs this time around, and the lyrics are certainly lost more if they're bleeped out. Especially "@!#?@!" which I imagine would sound like a lot of dead air. Trust me, you'd be missing out. Parts of the album get pretty dark for the kiddies anyways.
on March 18, 2010
As Motion City Soundtrack is probably my favorite band of the last five years it is very hard for me to write this review, but I do so in the hopes that the band reads these reviews and might take heed of one DEVOTED fan's heartfelt plea.

The beauty of MCS - what sets them apart from so many more simple bands that occupy a similar genre - is their INTRICACY. Going well beyond the guitar-and-vocals-backed-up-by-a rhythm-section formula of rock and roll, the band (in the past) has created finely-detailed aural creations where every instrument doesn't just back up the others but rather AUGMENTS them (and even the drums sketch intricate lines)...so what you get is a sort of sonic feast where you can listen to a song over and over again savoring the nuanced mechanics of so many elements doing so many different things at once, yet all making the whole greater than the sum of the parts.

Now - and I can't stress this too strongly - this effect is best exemplified by MCS's keyboard element, which adds not merely another layer of sound, but a whole additional DIMENSION of sound to their songs (while at the same time giving them a unique and welcome signature.) I say all this to point out that, if you remove this whole other dimension, what you have is quite simply a set of songs that are LACKING A WHOLE DIMENSION--sounding in the end less intricate, less full, and less intense. Put another way, Motion City Soundtrack was made to be a loaded sundae, not very good scoop of vanilla.

My fear is that somewhere along the line the band bought into the notion that their keyboards, their gear-shifting refrains, and all their little nuances made them less punk in attitude or seriousness. Nothing could be further from the truth. I am a dyed-in-the-wool devotee of punk essentialism (and all varieties of *up-tight* rock and roll energy), and have lamented many times after a band lost their edge or succumbed to over-production. And while "Even if it Kills Me" is a little prettier than "I Am the Movie" it was BY NO MEANS any sort of shark-jumping album. Yes - "I Am the Movie" was a little more raw, but it was filled with wonderful flourishes and keyboards; and - Yes - "Even if it Kills Me" was more polished and poppy, but it was still filled with Motion City Soundtrack's heartfelt agita and speed. Just listen to "Fell in Love Without You." This was what I was expecting when heard Mark Hoppus was back producing - NOT a stripped down version of a band whose strength lies precisely in all their accessories!

So, gentlemen, if your listening - for your next album bring back the lost dimensions, "throw it all" in every song, and don't be afraid of polish...it's what you do. (And I'll be there waiting.)
on May 31, 2012
Motion City has given us a different side of themselves with every album and its been great. Although different and more straight forward then previous albums, we get a great rock album from MCS. IF you want them to repeat the exact same songs with different lyrics then you are out of luck.

What we get here are great rock pop punk songs the couldn't be mistaken for any band other then MCS. You'll get some heart filled songs with Weekends, some more traditional MCS songs with involved layers and their trademark quirk in Life Less Ordinary and some rock your bones pop punk with Pulp Fiction.

My only advice is buy it turn it up.
on June 29, 2012
I was at a local Record Store and found this misplaced in the Movie Soundtrack section. I'd heard Motion City Soundtrack on the Doug Loves Movies podcast and had liked their version of the theme song for that show, and the album was only a couple of bucks so I thought "What do I have to lose?" I'm glad I picked it up, it's a fun album, really good and entertaining.
on July 21, 2011
A total departure from thier synth-pop punk of thier previous albums. Gone are the signature electronic bleeps and techno sounds as this album is built with just guitar, vocals and drums( bass is non-existent or very low in the mix). Instead of sounding like a Get-up Kid cover band, they now sound like a frankenstein combination of Weezer and Green Day. Hopefully they keep this sound going forward!
on October 5, 2010
MCS has always played well with a pop sound but still incorporating a good `rock' feel and get away with it. This album is no exception to that! Songs on this album such as Disappear or !@#$& will easily get stuck in your head with their catchy choruses. The only "bad" song (if an MCS song could ever really be considered bad..) is track 6 which sounds a lot more like an Irish bar song then an MCS song, but hey I cant hate on a band for experimenting with different ideas!

Overall this band is full of very energetic and outstanding people, and I think that energy is really shown throughout their music. A lot of passion for music can be found in these and all of MCS's songs which imo is what makes music good.