4.0 out of 5 stars My son loves this toy despite its flaws
Published on August 23, 2010 by Roby

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor design, cheap quality.
My wife and I were astounded at the cheap quality of these parts. You can tell from the package that the Time Tunnel and Pteranodon nest are folded paper, so that wasn't a surprise (part of the nest stand was crumpled in the box, and we have since thrown both pieces out). The track seems to be durable, but the pieces never seem to line up just right.

In...
Published on August 19, 2010 by S Bates

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor design, cheap quality., August 19, 2010
S Bates (NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dinosaur Train Under the Sea Adventure Set (Toy)

In addition to the cheap quality of the materials, the set has some noteworthy design flaws. The first car (locomotive) has four axles, making it too long to negotiate the curves on the track without rubbing on the sides. This causes the train to derail pretty frequently. After removing the rear wheels, it worked fine.

Another design flaw: each train car has little pegs on the floor to secure the dinosaurs, who each have one foot with a hole in the bottom. However, because Laura Giganotosaurus is so long, all three dinosaurs cannot ride the train at the same time (not on the pegs, anyway). And, because the footholes are smaller than the pegs, It can be a little frustrating trying to get the dinosaurs on the pegs.

The best parts about this set is the characters themselves. They appear to be unbreakable, and my daughter likes them much more than the train. In hindsight, we should have bought a couple of the three-packs of the characters and let them ride on our Fisher Price Geotrax set, which is more durable and better designed.

If you find this at a rummage sale for $5, I say go for it -- although I'd be surprised if you found a used set that wasn't broken or missing parts. However, I do not at all recommend this for any price over $5, certainly not the $30 or so that we paid for it.

4.0 out of 5 stars My son loves this toy despite its flaws, August 23, 2010
This review is from: Dinosaur Train Under the Sea Adventure Set (Toy)
My son loves this toy. The characters are cute - we bought him the whole set. They look just like they are supposed to. They are made of a sold plastic. I cannot imagine them breaking. Like the other reviewers, the hole on the bottom of the feet of the dinosaurs is hard to use. I assume as they use the toy the holes will get bigger and easier to use, but eventually will get to big to work. The largest flaw is that the motor on the train is not strong enough to pull the additional trains, and the train often derails when going around the track. I am sure this will be improved in time. The set is cute. If your child is willing to look past the motor, and push the train around, then I would recommend buying it. My son loves dinosaur train, and is loving having the characters at home with him.

5.0 out of 5 stars Be careful! Get the NEW version!, March 16, 2012
This review is from: Dinosaur Train Under the Sea Adventure Set (Toy)
After reading the reviews here, I was seriously worried about buying this for my 4 year son. He LOVES Dinosaur Train, and this was, of course, the big thing he wanted. So after purchasing it, I careful unpacked it with full intention of returning it if it lived up to all the poor reviews it had received. To my surprise, it worked perfectly! No tracks coming apart- No weak engine that couldn't pull the train around, and figures seem to fit "decently" on the train cars.

AFter further investigation, I had purchased the train set called Dinosaur Train Big City Adventure Motorized Train Set. This set boasts a new 4 wheel drive engine and comes with different figures also. Buddy, Tiny, and King Cryolophosaurus (sp?) instead of Buddy, Mr. Conductor and Laura. This new set is also set up with a figure 8 track and "guard-rail thingys" that let you change the path of the train.

Also, I attached two additional train cars we purchased, and with 5 cars and 5 figures, the engine had NO PROBLEMS going around the track for hours.

We purchased this item at that "Red Bullseye" store found across the country. Get THIS version, not the old one. After going back to the Red Bullseye, I notice the old version and the new version were sold side-by-side, so be CAREFUL. I can't speak for the old version, but the new one has worked perfectly for 2 weeks now!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good start, August 22, 2010
This review is from: Dinosaur Train Under the Sea Adventure Set (Toy)
I would like everyone to consider this is a first generation of this toy. If it is around as long as the Thomas and friends motorized sets I am sure it could get better. The main design flaws are the foot pegs to hold the dinosaurs and the train itself. In regards to the pegs, they are hard to use. Each Dino needed a hole on each foot also the pegs needed to be a little farther away from the train car sides. It is hard to get certain characters on to the foot pegs which makes the car fairly unusable.
As for the train itself, it does not negotiate the track well. As another reviewer said the train has a tendency to derail on curves. If the drive wheels had been more the rear of the engine car that most likely would have solved the issue. There is a reason why on real trains the main drive wheels are the back wheels. My son does enjoy this toy despite its flaws.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not so bad, July 9, 2012
This review is from: Dinosaur Train Under the Sea Adventure Set (Toy)
I actually was searching for more track for this train so that should tell you my opinion right off the bat.

Please note: as others have mentioned, there are TWO versions of this train set. One set is orange in color (orange track, engine, car trim etc) while the other is purple/green (green track, purple engine, car trim etc). My wife bought the orange and as I browsed Target one afternoon, I happened across the purple version. My kid loves this so I purchased the purple as well.

The two Engines are worlds a part. I call one speedy and the other Hercules; the two Engines are almost identical save for a few key points. Speedy, the orange colored Engine is front wheel drive and is very fast around the track on fresh batteries and with only 0 - 2 cars. Hercules, purple in color, is a 4 wheel drive work horse. Speedy with fresh batteries can slowly pull about 4 - 5 cars but the wheels spin and the Engine struggles to making it around. Hercules on the other hand can easily pull 5 cars but at a slow pace. Curious just how much power this little Engine that could had, not only did I attached 5 cars to Hercules but I began lining up hot wheels in front. The purple Engine not only pulled the 5 cars but it was also able to push about 7 or 8 hot wheel cars in front. This Engine must be a newer model and is clearly better engineered but it sacrifices speed for horse power. Hercules also sports some sort of hard rubber on the wheels which allow it to better grip the track. Speedy only wheels are just plastic as far as I can tell. For these reasons, If I was going to buy again, I would purchase the purple engine and I recommend you do the same.

Let's face it, the train is cheap but what are you expecting for $30.00? The track is going to be put together and ripped apart numerous times so wear and tear on the track is going to cause it to come apart easier with use. My kid loves it and I love to be able to pass my love of trains to him even at a small age. Every time I take it out he smiles and we play with it for a couple hours and that's worth $30.00 to me. Sure there are issues but you get that with just about every toy.

3.0 out of 5 stars Cute, August 20, 2010
This review is from: Dinosaur Train Under the Sea Adventure Set (Toy)
The train is exactly described, but it will not pull extra cars and barely pulls the ones that come in the package around curves. Plus you are not getting a great deal on a great product; you are getting a cheap product for a cheap price. It is cute and the characters look like themselves, but I just would have bought the extra cars and figures and not wasted money on the train.

1.0 out of 5 stars VERY DISSAPOINTED, November 9, 2010
This review is from: Dinosaur Train Under the Sea Adventure Set (Toy)
We have all the Dinosaur Train toys and while the interactive toys are amazing this is absolute rubbish. The track does not fit together easily or line up properly, the train barely pulls the carriages that come with it and while the makers claim you can add the additional cars available, if you even add one more car the pathetically powered train can't pull them! The figures don't stand up unless an adult - and its hard work for an adult - pegs them on by taking the train apart and pushing them into each individual carriage before rejoining the carriages. While the other train that doesn't work on the tracks has great lights and sounds this one has nothing, just a very weak motor.

The Time Tunnel and Pterranadon nest are made of flimsy paper - come on, the time tunnel is pretty essential to the whole Dinosaur Train playing experience. How hard would it be to provide a plastic tunnel like the station?

I hope the makers improve this over time as it really isn't worth buying - big, big disappointment.

1.0 out of 5 stars PBS, Jim Henson Inc, and Learning Curve should be ashamed of themselves, December 27, 2010
This review is from: Dinosaur Train Under the Sea Adventure Set (Toy)
I concur with other reviews that this is extremely chintzy. The motor is literally half the size of the motor in a Tomy Thomas Engine, making the engine woefully underpowered. That means the engine can't pull more than two cars, or a pile of dinosaurs, without bogging down. It also gets caught on the curves because the engine and cars are very wide, and don't allow enough room for turning. Since they sell extra cars, they must have known that the thing could not pull extra cars. My three year old could not possibly engage the dinosaurs feet with the tiny pegs meant to let them stand up. Also, while there is one small building, the rest of the "scenery" is just cardboard cut outs! The nest does not match the picture on the package, and it is not possible for the dinosaurs to stand in it. So my three year old gets frustrated, because he loves the videos and would like to play with it. The figures are acceptable, although the paint jobs aren't up to the high standards of Schleich. Cheap!

2.0 out of 5 stars I agree with everyone else., December 31, 2010
= Durability:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Dinosaur Train Under the Sea Adventure Set (Toy)
The motorized train has trouble pulling all the other ones around curves and the tracks pop apart easily, my kiddo eventually got so frustrated she threw it. I was so excited when I bought this but was so disappointed when assembling it, it seems like an easy fix though with a few extra piece of track and a better motor and the tunnels are paper and lame.

2.0 out of 5 stars Underwhelmed, December 5, 2010
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Dinosaur Train Under the Sea Adventure Set (Toy)
I recently bought this set for my son who will be three next month. I thought I'd be getting more bang for my buck with the combination of a train set & dinosaur characters that he knows and loves.

The train tracks do not stay together well, so unless you can dedicate a table top where this will stay set up, you'll probably end up reassembling the whole thing each time your child wants to play with it, and then fixing loose tracks, and a derailed train several times during the play session. The foot holes that keep the characters upright while riding the train are very small and difficult to line up. Your child will most likely NOT be able to do this themselves, so when they do place the characters in the train cars they'll inevitably tip over.

The train tunnels are made of flimsy cardboard, which we've stopped using. Because the dinos do tip over they can easily knock down the tunnels on their way through.

In the next generation of this toy, in addition to a stronger motor as other reviewers have suggested, it would be nice to have the train make "choo choo" or whistle noises. And maybe some component, perhaps the station could sing the dinosaur train theme song.

This is probably only the third time he's played with it in the three weeks that he's had it and the paint is chipping.