‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome today, even after nearly 10 years, July 9, 2005
Dave Ridolfi (Patterson, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I first saw this book in my english classroom's bookshelf back in junior high. I was about 13 at the time, and after flipping through the pages, reading a few paragraphs; seeing its astonishing level of detail and wonderfully drawn art, I had to have this book. So I took it home and never brought it back. I wasn't the only one either. At the end of the school year, only 3 of the 7 copies our teacher had remained. Dinotopia: The World Beneath, is that good.

Even now at 22 years of age, the book sits on my shelf as I type this. It's art and story are still captavating to me even today. And its the art that really shines. Well drawn, imaginative pictures that are sure to please children and adults alike. ***High quality and artistical marks here.*** This book is sure to make you say "Wow!" And I'm not really into this kind of stuff. James Gurney knows how to draw, and write a book.

The story is set around the late 1800's on a island where man and dinosaur live with one another in pure harmony and peace (with the exception of the angry Tyrannosaurs) and, in all aspecs, equal. Arthur Denison, sets out to find a lost ancient city of Poseidos. Encountering many dangers along the way. His son Will, who was stranded with him years before on Sauropolis Island is on his own task of helping retreive a plant to make medicine that will save the life of a baby triceratops.

I can't count the times I've read through this book over the years. And for parents who want to know what kind of book they're getting for their children, it is an educational book; teaching in respect, kindness and alike. This ***IS NOT*** no Jurassic Park book. Completely opposite. No blood, no gore. Probably one of the finest fantasy books ever written, it's creative, original and opens the imaginative mind.

Kids will love this book for many years- This isn't a book that will wind up in a box of stuff on its way to a donation center. Indeed a book worthy of handing down to generations to come. You would be hard pressed to find a book that can match Dinotopia in artistic value. A wonderfully made, great book for all.

5.0 out of 5 stars James Gurney is the best writer I have read about., June 16, 1997
By A Customer
When I first read Dinotopia, I just enjoyed the pictures. But now, I wish that I was in Dinotopia. I wish I was a skybax rider, soaring high above the clouds. James Gurney makes his world seem real, so real that you can almost reach out and touch it. Because of his beautiful paintings, you are "reborn" into a wondreful fantasy world. I am only 12, but my love of Dinotopia has sprouted, just like shipwreaked humans on the island. I have read both books, plus I have read all the paperback books. Instead of the views of Will and Arthur Denison, the paperback books give you a different perspectave of life on Dinotopia. Like in "River Quest", the book gives a perspectave of a young 13 year old girl, who becomes the rainwater habitat partners and how Mangolia and Paddlefoot recover the Polongo River. If anyone likes the detailed, wonderful world of Dinotopia, I recommend reading the Dinotopian series as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the impossible., April 18, 2000
By A Customer
The World Beneath is a book that does the impossible: It surpasses the original. It's feeled with stunning visuals and an intriguing story that captures you instantly. This books dares to go where the first didn't and have some of it's happy story get a little darker. It really works. It's an amazing sequel and should be read by all the fans of the original. Wonderful book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Sequel, November 26, 2002
The first book was one of a kind...until the second came along and finished the story. Dinotopia: The World Beneath is a must have for anyone who has read the first book. There are new adventures, amazing new discoveries, plenty of exciting action and a satisfying conclusion to everything. The illustrations are just as spectacular as they were the first time and the story does not dilute itself one bit. I urge you to find yourself a copy of this book, and also a copy of the original if you have not read that either; both are amazing books meant for all ages.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oops I think he did it again., April 21, 2003
I was pleasantly surprised to find that Gurney's second Dinotopia book is just as good as the first. The illustrations are wonderful. After reading this, I now know more about the characters in the movie Dinotopia.

5.0 out of 5 stars No loss of glory, November 10, 2002
Dinotopia is an island where dinosaurs and people live in peace, except for the carnivores that live in the Rainy Basin. This book is the sequel to Dinotopia: A Land Apart from Time and it was just as good as the last Dinotopia. The sequel brought more depth to the plot without losing any of the original’s glory.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a wonderful book!!!, August 10, 1999
By A Customer
This book truly does justice to dinosaur books. This book doesn't have caveman walking around killing dinosaurs, it has dinosaurs and humans working together, in harmony. It was just as enthralling as the first. I thought it seemed a bit set up, but after the first 10 pages that was behind me. this book is an excellent read.

5.0 out of 5 stars The illustrations are AWESOME!!, September 4, 1999
By A Customer
I'm a big fan of James Gurney and I love this book!!! I've read it over and over and over and I never get tired of it. I like the dinosaurs because everything is drawn to scale, and I love the pictures of the Skybaxs' flying. This is a great book for kids.

4.0 out of 5 stars A pale shadow of its predecessor., January 25, 2001
As the sequel to the original Dinotopia, this book is something of a disappointment. The art is still as incredible and magical as ever. The perspective, however, has been dropped from first person to third-a very poor transition. The happy, warm suspicion that lingers in the back of your mind, telling you to believe in this peaceful island, is lost completely and leaves the story cold and even a little sappy. The art alone-for this IS an art book-keeps my rating up at 4 stars, and the fanciful tale and explanation of how the fateful journal came to leave the island is enjoyable enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Also Good, March 26, 2002
By A Customer
This was an excellent book. In terms of the story, I didn't think it was as good as the first, but that doesn't mean it's bad. I just liked the first better. I think I liked the journal format. But the illustrations... wow. Stunning. You'd be hard pressed to find someone who can match James Gurney.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Dinotopia: The World Beneath (Dinotopia (HarperCollins))
Dinotopia: The World Beneath (Dinotopia (HarperCollins)) by James Gurney (Paperback - March 1, 2003)
Used & New from: $4.99