Diono Radian R100 Convertible Car Seat Booster, Shadow
Color Name: ShadowChange
Price:$189.99 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Color Name: StoneVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Diono RadianR100 is a great car seat for those who are looking for a car seat that will grow with your child from 5 to 100 lbs. We own the Diono RadianRXT, DionoR100, and the Graco Nautilus 3-in-1, and would have to say that the Diono is our favorite car seat for traveling purposes, but our second favorite car seat for everyday use (mainly because the kids like the Graco cup holders and armrests - more on that below). There are many things about this car seat that we love:

1. It's easy to set up and install. While I did need the instruction manual to figure many of the various parts and how to fully assemble the seat, the instructions were clear and the seat took no longer than 15 minutes for me to get set up in house, then another 15 minutes to get it installed into our cars. I did not include the unpacking time for the car seat from the box - that's just silly.

2. The Superlatch system is brilliant. With the Graco latch system, you have to shove your fingers into the seat in order to feel the latch system bar, then youhave to push down on the clip to install the latch system, and then potentially pinch your fingers because the clip. When you remove the clip, you have to shove your fingers back into the seat, feel around the evil finger pinching clip, squeeze the clip and potentially pinch your fingers again! With the Superlatch, you just shove the candy bar shaped bar onto the latch in the car until you hear a click. To remove, you push a button the top of the Superlatch, then pull out. This is awesome of epic proportions.

3. The Dionos are amazingly slim. You really could fit three of these seats in the backseat of your car. We have a 2009 Honda Odyssey and a 2006 Honda Accord and three of these seats would fit in the back if we really wanted to. We chose to install the R100 in our Accord along with the RXT, and there's enough room for both our kids to sit back there with our papillon dog in the middle.

4. While we got this car seat a little late for this purpose, the Diono allows for backward facing infants. It comes with head and side supports, as well as a large plastic piece to install under the car seat so it's inclined back for an infant to lie down in. This is great for parents who want to buy one car seat, and one car seat only to use for their child. This may be a con for some parents, as many parents like having the infant car seats to easily remove a sleeping baby from the car without having to unbelt them and potentially waking them up.

5. The thing we love about the Diono Series the most is the convenience of the Diono when traveling by airplane. This car seat actually folds down compactly, has areas on the back for all the components to clip to, has the instructional manual literally tied to the seat, and comes with backpack style straps. My husband or I can carry it through an airport as easily as another piece of luggage, as it's not as cumbersome to lug around as conventional car seats. It's thin and folds down low enough to go through x-ray machines, and not terribly difficult to set up in airline seats. This is probably the best thing about the seat.

That said, here are the aspects of the seat that we didn't particularly like.

1. Set up of the seat is not very intuitive. The Graco Nautilus 3-in-1 is much more intuitive to figure out. I could easily remember how to break down the seat and assemble it without having to consult with the instructional manual. With the Diono RadianR100, I always have to refer to the manual in order to break down and stow the many pieces. I'm guessing this is because it does break down much more compactly than the Graco, as well as has all those different clips to stow the straps for traveling. The instruction manual also does not store well into the seat as the Graco - it is simply shoved behind the fabric of the car seat. If not put in well, you can feel the manual through the fabric.

2. The cup holder is poorly designed. There is a single tube of plastic that is keeping the cup holder stuck in the armrest flap of the car seat. My kids can pull out the cup holder, as it doesn't really stay in very well. We decided to not even use it with our car seat.

3. The fabric of the RadianR100 is not as comfortable as the Graco 3-in-1. The fabric and cushioning is thin in comparison, and we were able to feel some of the hidden straps underneath the fabric. We have not had to wash the car seat fabric just yet and I will update my review with the condition of the fabric after a few washes, if it can be removed easily.

4. The armrests are practically nonexistent. If it wasn't mentioned in the manual, I would have guessed that there were no armrests on this car seat. My kids didn't think there were armrests on the seats, either.

In comparison to the Diono RXT, the RXT is a slightly better purchase, but not by much. The fabric in comparison, is much better than the R100. It not only feels better, but it looks a lot nicer than the R100. The RXT also comes with the additional cup holder, a shoulder carrying strap, the infant head and side positioners, as well as head side impact cushions. The structure of the R100 and RXT is pretty much the same, although the RXT does support 20 lbs more than the R100. How much this makes a difference really depends on the weigh and height of your child, as well as the car seat laws in your state. I really don't think many kids will be riding in a car seat up to 120 lbs...I could be wrong, though.

In comparison to the Graco Nautilus, R100 is much more compact, but is more difficult to assemble/break down for cleaning. My kids think the Graco fabric and cushioning is more comfortable, and like the cup holder and arm rests better on the Graco. However, they do like that fact that the R100 is easier to get into by themselves, simply because of the lack of armrests. The R100 fits much better than the Gracos in compact cars.

All in all, I think that the Diono R100 is a fantastic car seat. It feels solid, looks great, and is comfortable for our kids. Highly recommended!
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 29, 2013
Color Name: StoneVerified Purchase
three of these seats fit in the backseat of our suburu outback with 2 forward facing and 1 backward facing.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 3, 2013
Color Name: StoneVerified Purchase
I have three of these forward facing in the back of Prius. It's a tight squeeze, but everyone is in there safely. This would be impossible without the Radian!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 27, 2011
Color Name: StoneVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
We have two Graco Nautilus chairs with which we are extremely satisfied, but subsequently purchased the Diono, which is also great.

The key selling point for both the Diono and the Graco for us was that we can buy one car seat to last our kids all the way to 100 pounds. Otherwise, you end up buying several as they outgrow the different ones. They both work very well for that and have served our kids well from toddlers to little kids to bigger kids.

Admittedly, although we have three car seats to last the kids all the way from birth (for the Diono not the Graco) to 100 pounds, we prefer the classic Graco (or other brand) SnugRide for when they were very, very small because they can sleep in the bassinet, which just clips into the car base that is permanently attached to the car. Very easy to move them into or out of the car without awakening them. However, they grow out of those pretty quickly, then the Diono (or Graco Nautilus) is great because it works when they are reclined or when they can sit up. [Edit: JaneeNoel's comment that that the Diono allows for both forward and rear facing infants whereas the Graco starts at larger, forward facing sizes is absolutely correct. Please see her comment for useful details. Our usage pattern and the general weariness of parenthood with wee ones clouded my memory on the nautilus b/c we always liked using the Snugride for our kids as infants. While the Diono's ability to function for infants is an advantage over the Graco's larger, minimum size requirement, it just doesn't matter to us, only because, in our minds, you can't beat the convenience of a Snugride (or equivalent) for hauling around an infant.]

So ... why did we switch from the Nautilus to the Diono -- size. First, the Graco is wider, and includes a cup holder and arm rest that are not removable. The Diono can accept cup holders, but that's not the standard. Couldn't fit three of the Graco's in the backseat of the trusty minivan. Second, the Diono is much, much better for air travel. While the Graco's have fit into the airline seats for us, we stopped taking them because they are so, so hard to carry through an airport while also herding kids through terminals. The Diono folds flat and is relatively easy to take through airports, install into a plane seat (or store overhead), then install into the rental car.

Don't mean to rip on the Graco, because we would give it very high ratings, too. Just saying that if we had considered the possibility of needing to install three kids seats into the backseat AND had known that we'd be flying with the kids two or three times per year, we would have found it easier and safer (taking car seats on vacations) to just spend more for the Diono's (and their removable cupholders). If those aren't really considerations for you, pick based on color or price, and you'll be happy with either.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 31, 2013
Color Name: StoneVerified Purchase
We received two RadianR100's today and love them! I bought them for our sitter and to also use in our second car. They fit in the third row of our sitter's '03 Odyssey great, even with a their car seat back there! The price had me a little timid before purchasing, because we needed two seats, but now I'm so happy with the purchase! We needed seats skinny enough to fit into their van, and these work! I believe the widest part is actually the back piece, rather than the bottom piece, which helped us out so much when sticking three seats in the third row! They seem pretty comfortable too, which is always great!
review image
on November 10, 2013
Color Name: Stone
i bought this when the seat was owned by Sunshine and they only had this model. I've bought 4 more since. it was super safe back then and remains one of the safest car seats. here is the lowdown.

SAFETY:
The original sunshine was highly recommended on consumer search and remains such as a compact model. straps are thick and comfortable. easy to adjust the 5 point harness and once your kids hit about 5 years old they should be able to get in and out by themselves which is super nice and an appropriate age for that. Padding is a little slim on the side, but even the new models they have come out with only add bulk directly around the kid. I haven't had any accident with these so I can't tell how good they really stand up (and hope i never do have to find out).

It is super heavy. much heavier than typical full car seats as you would find in costco or sams club. Yet the extra weight is nice in my opinion. If you think about it from the physics standpoint MV = MV (one of the few things i remembered from physics because it applies to all car accidents)... the heavier you are (mass), the less velocity gets transferred to you (i.e. the slower you fly when you get hit by another car). This carseat as such secures your kid to it, thus increasing the "weight" of your kid and as a whole it travels with less velocity if you ever get in an accident. I imagine this translates to less whiplash, less trauma to your child. Same goes for cars by the way. if a normal car get hit by a bus. the people inside the bus may lurch forward, you will go flying out the windshield and probably suffer severe trauma or die. why? because the bus is 10x heavier than you thus transfers 10x more velocity into you.

bottomline: heavy = good = safe

COMFORT:
this is pretty comfy it seems for my kids. doesn't get too hot. they can fall sleep in it and the sides sort of serve as a pillow, but not that much. my kids don't like the shoulder pads on the inner harness so i remove them. seatbelt and middle connector don't seem to bother them.

CLEANING:
i've had pee, vomit, other strang substances on these (yeah sound gross but if you are truly a parent you know what i'm talking about). i've taken the whole thing and thrown it in the washer without trouble. kind of a pain to remove as you have to remove the inner harness completely, but worth it for a good clean seat.

LATCH/SEATBELT:
the LATCH attachment is very nice. easy to hook on and easy to take off. hard part with latch always is tightening it. this is no different.

often when traveling i use the seltbelt thru the back method instead. it is so much easier and way easier to tighten. by the way for the seatbelt method you don't necessarily need the extra hook thing which combines top/bottom portions of the seatbelt. it may be slightly more secure to do so but i find little difference.

If you've never done this before, basically the way to tighten the seat is put your weight into the seat by shoving your knee into the bottom center. the car seat should sink a bit into the car's seat, then pull the strap or seatbelt as tight as you can. when you let go all should be pretty snug.

Yes by the way, you can fit 3 of these in the backseat of a larger SUV/minivan type car. in a smaller car like the CRV or civic nope.

TRAVEL:
get the travel bag they sell here on amazon. period. that thing is amazing and will protect this seat and make it so much easier to handle and carry. i tried to travel a few times without as i was cheap. not only is it harder and slower to lug this thing around. i found handlers cracked the hard plastic in the base. now with the bag and 5+ other trips, no problems since. i hear the new bag doesn't have a compression strap. consider just buying a cheap one as that was key on the old bag model.

as expected it folds very nicely and fits securely into the bag. yeah this is heavy, but it travels very well and keeps your kid safe. i rent the cargo pushkart now at the airport so weight is much less of a concern.

DURABILITY:
I've had a couple of these for more than 4 years now. I even handed a couple down to my brother who continues to use them. these things seem to last forever. only thing is they get kind filthy. remember though the cover can be washed.

BOOSTER VS THIS FOREVER?
i thought i would go until my kids were 100 lbs and that was one of the purported benefits.... yeah right. at 40lbs you can switch to booster seats and my oldest seeing other kids on boosters and just using the regular seatbelt finally forced me to cave in.

the booster (if you can the basic base model) is sooooo much lighter and easier to use than this. the seatbelt appears snug on it. my kid doesn't take naps anymore so i care less about having the sides to lean against.

realize at 5+ years old you will be having a bunch of playdates and being able to move a carseat in and out of cars quickly is HUGE. the radian is a pain in the ass to move around and in/out of cars. it's made to be installed and left there.

so if you think one of the reasons you're getting this is to last until 100 lbs i suggest rethinking that. sure it may be safer, but how many accidents are you planning on getting into. i think the most important key in car accident safety is the car you drive, not the seat you are in. they also recommend you being rear-facing until you are a young adult... rear-facing is always going to be safer at any age. let's be realistic though.

BOTTOM LINE:
solid car seat. excellent for travel. durable and long-lasting. i recommend getting this over the hyper-padded models, but my kids hate being hot and that extra padding seems like a heat trap. your choice though.
on January 31, 2012
Color Name: StoneVerified Purchase
I have bought three of these carseats! My husband drives a Toyota corolla and whew we're able to put two of these carseats in the back along with an infant carseats and they all fit. No van for us! There's literally no more room but they are all safely and snugly fitting in there. The third carseats was for my jeep patriot. I already had a normal toddler seat and an infant seat so I only needed one to make it work there. Overally, nice product. I'm happy with my purchases.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 30, 2013
Color Name: StoneVerified Purchase
I own two of these by choice. Not because it is a 5 star seat, but because it is he slimmest of car seats available. If I have a hope of adding a 5th person in my Jetta, then this seat is the only option short of buying a new car. So when a parent comes to visit, we can pick him or her up at the airport with the kids (a short trip, so it works). I talked to a dad with three little ones who had one of these to get 3 cars seats in his Jetta. So for it's slim design, it is a great seat.

That said and having the two installed, I don't like this seat for many reasons. I dread having to make a change to the configuration. They are clunky to install, and at this price point that is unforgivable. I have installed a half dozen seats at any number of price points and they are all easier than the Diono. It isn't a 1 minute or even 2 minute job as it would be in a good seat, and my hand is always scraped and bloodied by the effort and it takes. And they are insanely heavy - the picture of the petite woman carrying one on her back with no strain is a joke. If I need to take a car seat when traveling by air, I will never take this one again. And then there are details that are misses. e.g. the buckles are a mixed bag - the top one is really nice, but the lower ones are cheap and sticky.

The cons make even a 3 star rating impossible, but in the end I would buy this seat, reluctantly, again.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 1, 2014
Color Name: ShadowVerified Purchase
We have 3 yo twins and a 1 year old, and for the past year we've had the twins in the Radian by the doors and the baby in the middle in her pumpkin seat. The three of them JUST fit across in our Mazda 6 wagon. It was tight and there was no way any other seats would have worked. Now we upgraded to an Odyssey and kept the kids in the Radians. They seem comfortable (still fall asleep in them). Worth the money if you're tight on space.
on September 15, 2013
Color Name: StoneVerified Purchase
We purchased a new vehicle and realized we were going to need another seat for my 3 year old daughter. Her main seat had been the Britax Marathon 70 that we've been using since she was about 7-8 months old, and I wanted to buy her a seat that would last her a really long time. I read reviews and did as much research as I could and this seat seemed to be the best match for my family.

I was looking for a well liked, well reviewed, thin seat that would rear face my child until she is 4 years old. I think we found a match but only time will tell. After talking with a few techs, I wonder if I shouldn't have gotten one of the Graco Clone seats (there are 3). If you child is larger/taller, or longer torso'ed definitely check into those first before you purchase a Diono. Thankfully my daughter is in the 30th percentile for height and weight so I think we'll be ok with the Radian R100.

When I got the seat, I was really unsure about it. It's almost a polar opposite from a Britax seat. I was happy to find out that the seat was a fairly simple install (I chose a rear facing belt install over latch) even though it is super heavy. We don't plan on moving this seat around though so the weight is really a non-issue. If you plan on having one seat and switching between cars this may not be your best choice.

The seat seems to be comfortable, and is super easy to climb in and out of. The harness cushions are HUGE and I've found it hard to tighten the harness because of this issue. I've called radian and ask that they send smaller ones and they are supposed to be in the mail. We have it installed in out 2012 Hyundai Elantra's back passenger side and it does 'recline' (is that the word I'm looking for?) into the back of the seat making it impossible for anyone over 5'4 to be comfortable riding in the front. Diono makes a foam insert that is often times sold out that fixes this problem and makes the Radian seat more upright which allows more room to the front seat passenger. To me, this foam piece should be included in the purchase of the seat because most people who purchase and use the Radian seats will NEED one.

I've also been told that once your meets the weight limit for harnessing, the booster option is pretty much outgrown. I was super bummed to hear this because I was hoping this would be the last seat I would need for her. She will 5 point harness until she is 6. I guess only time will tell if I'm able to actually use the booster feature.

Overall, I really like this seat. I love that it's a low profile and slimline seat. I really love that it's super easy in and out for my 3 year old and the easy install. I do however wish that the foam insert that will inevitably be needed was included in the purchase. I also wish they made the R100 in other colors. I got this seat for an AWESOME price from amazon during a 20% off event which is what initially sold me on it, but I do wish I would have checked out the Grace Clone seats before I made my decision.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations