Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Voyage Cyber Monday Sweepstakes in Prime Music Outdoor Deals on Tikes

Format: Baby ProductChange

on March 6, 2014
We bought the RXT after a friend recommended it, and since we have been using it, I've found it to be a pretty nice seat. Last weekend we were returning home from a trip and we were part of a six-car pile-up on the freeway. We drive an MDX, and were hit from behind by an Escalade (and felt impact from other rear crashes as well). We think the cars were travelling at about 60 mph when we were hit. The airbags deployed and I was terrified that I was going to look in the back seat and see that my FF son had an injury. Well other than being scared, he was just fine!!! My husband and I were also walking away without injury, and I was so thankful my son seemed to be fine too. The car seat had not moved from its latched position. He was evaluated by paramedisc on scene, but he didn't show any signs of any injuries. We took him to the doc the next day to be sure, but doc also gave us clean report. He didn't even have a bruise or a mark from any of the harness straps. So, in short, HIGHLY recommend this car seat and we will be purchasing one as a replacement!
on February 1, 2013
I unfortunately learned after purchasing, installing and giving away my infant car seat that this model of Diono's car seat line has a KNOWN DEFECT. I am now left with an unsafe car seat and completely unhelpful Diono customer service. Here are the details:
- I had the car seat installed at our children's hospital by a trained technician who has installed hundreds of this model. I brought the seat back a few days later, with my 10 month old in it, to assess a problem I had. The harness straps will tighten and loosen freely without a child in the seat, but are beyond difficult to impossible to tighten to the level safety requires (pinch a quarter inch at collarbone) when child is in the seat. I was told by the hospital that was not normal, that the seat was defective and I should get a new seat.
- I called Diono customer service, hoping to be sent a new car seat to switch out the old one with (I have one car, and one car seat, no back up option is available). They told me I needed to uninstall the car seat and send them photos of the harness straps. When I balked at this ridiculous request for a car seat that had been verified as having nothing wrong visibly by a trained car seat technician at the hospital, I was then put on hold while a supervisor was consulted.
- Customer service informed me that this car seat has a known defect on some seats where the harness straps don't properly tighten, I was not the first person with this issue, and uninstalling the car seat, replacing the harness straps and reinstalling has resolved this issue for other seat owners. They were going to mail me new straps. When I explained that would leave me to drive my child around in a seat that I didn't feel was safe, they told me overnighting new straps was not an option. Mind you, we're not even sure this will solve the issue, meanwhile, my child is not safe in the car.
I am FURIOUS. This company does not care about the safety of its customers' children in any way. How overnighting isn't an option for a KNOWN DEFECT is beyond me. What a terrible company to be in the business of child safety.

UPDATE: The children's hospital was so frustrated by the poor customer service I received, for a car seat they recommend to hundreds of parents a year, that they called their sales rep to say how disappointed they were with how my situation was handled. Diono customer service called me and said they were sending me a new seat, but wanted to know that this was NOT their policy, and that they never did this. Great, glad to know you're motivated by money instead of child safety. When the new seat arrived I took it up to the children's hospital and the car seat technicians again set it up and installed. We put my baby in it, and SAME PROBLEM. The hospital told me that the seat should not operate like that, that the tightening of the harness should not be so incredibly difficult, that something was wrong with this seat, as well. The told me to return both Diono seats and to get a different brand, as clearly something was wrong.
1313 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 9, 2012
I purchased this for air travel, and my rating reflects that usage. Consider this a 4 star rating for fixed usage.

As I understand it, this seat manages a smaller footprint using a steel frame. This is great if you need slim seat, mediocre if you need to carry it.

* good crash ratings
* slim size provides more room for adjacent seats or passengers (albeit not much more room)
* fold for carry/storage
* rated for a wide range of child sizes (i.e. it converts into a belt positioning booster for larger/older children).

* heavy and bulky for airline travel (at 24 pounds--according to the manufacturer--it is too heavy for my average size/strength wife to carry comfortably for more than a few minutes while managing a small carry on)
* included shoulder strap encourages shoulder carry at the same height as a toddler/preschooler's head: this requires extreme vigilance on the part of the carrier so as NOT to hit the child in the head while walking.
* LATCH is a single unattached strap, as opposed to two straps permanently affixed to the seat. This results in a bit more side to side movement in the seat (as compared to my Britax Marathon)
* Upper latch strap is at the midpoint in height of the seat (compared with top attachment of the Marathon). This results in a bit more front rear and side to side movement than the Britax.
* the airplane seat belt buckle was positioned in the center of the seat behind my child's back and bulged out with little padding. in short, this was uncomfortable for my son. The Britax did not suffer from this flaw.

In summary, disappointing for air travel; I think there must be better options.
2424 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 14, 2013
Let me start by saying that I am a certified child safety seat technician. (yes it's a real thing)

I have installed literally hundreds of car seats from many manufacturers.

This car seat is a beast. First, it is tremendously heavy. There is no way you would drag this heavy seat around an airport or even want to move it between vehicles. Once it is installed you never want to move it.

Second, too many straps and belts. There are the normal straps that you would expect to see but then you have to contend with the extra safety straps that are included and stuck all over the back and sides of this thing.

Third, you have no way of adjusting shoulder straps without removing the seat from your car. (see second reason)

And finally, poor cover quality. The cover arrived with a small hole so you can insert a drink carrier into the side of the seat. Lets just say that they missed a few stitches. Also the drink carrier is terrible, it doesn't lock in place and my four year old had no trouble removing it and spilling his milk all over the car.

For the money this should have been a better seat. I recommend you look at other manufacturers.
1111 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 18, 2013
EDIT:I have had these car seats for a couple of years and they WERE wonderful BUT there is something that has come up that people should know. If you really think you can harness your child until 80 pounds forget it! If you really think this seat harnesses tall kids like it claims, keep reading!

I bought one of these for each of my children and they are great for extended rear facing in some vehicles. BUT my daughter just turned 5 years and she is only 38 pounds and only 42 inches and she has nearly maxed out her harness height ( which is only 17.5 inches seated to shoulder). She is not ready for booster mode! She isn't even the recommended minimum weight of 40 pounds and with the misleading information Diono sales, I expected to extend harness longer than this. The last thing I expected was for my daughter to outgrow her Diono at or before 40 pounds. That puts this product no better than all of its competition.

IT GETS WORSE: MY 3 year old son is only an inch shorter than my daughter! He will outgrow it by four years old I expect and he only weighs 36.5 pounds. What a huge disappointment!

Please, before you buy, read into the harness heights of seats and not maximum weights! The Britax frontier clicktight has a harness height of 20.5 inches. Diono's product that I once thought highly of, and recommended to friends, no longer has me fooled.
on February 13, 2012
I bought this car seat for my youngest son about two months ago. Being the youngest of 3 boys, he had always used our hand me down Britax seats and they are great but getting old. Since he was riding in seat that was almost 7 years old, I thought it might be time to upgrade. I'd heard about the Sunshine kids and that they have a slim profile, so I wanted to check it out. While we have a minivan, we travel frequently and I prefer to have all 3 boys in the middle row during trips. It is easier for everyone but the width of the Britax makes it difficult to fit along with 2 Recaro boosters (which I adore). Anyway, that is how I came to investigate the Sunshine / Diono seats.

What I love:
The steel frame. We live in Southern Europe where the driving is quite perilous. Safety is the PRIMARY concern.
The ability to grown into a regular booster.
The fold and carry. Again, we travel a lot and when we fly, this makes transporting the seat through the airport MUCH easier. I've done the Britax and Diono. Diono wins.
The removable cup holders. Great to have when you have room, can remove when you don't, or relocated.
Thinner profile. I was able to fit 2 boosters and the Diono across the back of an Altima rental car. It wasn't pretty but I did it. The van should be cake.
Lower profile. My son is almost 2 and he could crawl into the Britax but the lower profile is much easier for him to get into and out of on his own.

What I don't love:
The weight. That steel frame comes at a cost and it's your back. At least when carrying. I am a tall, athletic female and it was heavy. Petite women might struggle but with the fold flat feature, you can place it on a luggage cart much more efficiently. The Britax took a whole cart b/c of it's odd shape.
The shoulder harness. I am spoiled by the Britax knob to raise and lower the straps. The Diono is old school. Not a huge deal but not what I was hoping for.
The "wings" are difficult to adjust. I figured out it was best to "walk" them up or down. Alternate pushing on each side instead of equal pressure.

I think that's about it. Overall, I'm thrilled with the purchase. I was very confused and frustrated by all the accusations in the reviews but I did some additional research, took a chance, and it worked out. I highly recommend and I did purchase via Amazon.
on July 18, 2012
After four children, eight Britax car seats and hours of research, I cautiously ordered the Diono Radian RXT. Our Britax car seats were at the end of their lifespan and I needed to replace them. I have always loved Britax, but the idea of being able to fit three car seats onto the third row of our SUV, thus freeing up and extra seat for an adult, was enticing. Instead of ordering all three and having to send them back, I ordered just one. I read all the reviews that I could find and was impressed, but I wanted to try it out for myself. I opened the box, ready for a complicated set up as some reviews suggested, but found it very easy and straightforward. Diono has some really neat features, like the seatbelt stop clamp, an emergency information card and a special clip for forward facing children less than 40 lbs. Also since this seat is meant for taking on an airplane, there is a storage for all the clips, straps and devices that you are not using. Which means they'll be there when you actually do need them.
The true test came when I strapped it into the car. I tried it first FF and was able to get a really tight fit. The two year old tried it out and liked it. Since it is rated Back facing up to 45 lbs, I asked her if she wanted to turn it around. She loved the idea and is having a great time being able to see her siblings in the back seat and facing the same direction as the baby. Her siblings thought it was fun and begged to keep it that way. The Diono is lower than the Britax Boulevard and easier for her to climb into. Also she can prop her feet on the seat back and not have them fall asleep because they are dangling. The profile is more streamline and the car feels less cluttered or filled up with car seats. The material is soft and she says the seat is very comfy.
Needless to say, I just ordered the two more and am crossing my fingers they will all fit in the third row. Even if they don't, I am very impressed by the strength and comfort of the Diono and all the safety features. I will always love Britax, but with lots of kids, the Diono seats are filling my needs better.
on January 15, 2013
We got this for my son when he was about 10 months. It seemed like he was getting cramped in his Chicco Keyfit 30 infant seat. We installed it outboard in our 2008 Honda CR-V. In order to be able to adjust the front passenger seat, we had to purchase the angle adjuster to make the RXT a little more upright. We really like this seat. It is installed using the seat belt, not LATCH.

-Easy to clean
-nice, soft fabric
-cupholder included
-infant body support and head support included
-easy installation
-low profile (i.e., no hoisting your child up over the sides of a car seat
-high rear facing limit of 45 pounds
-in booster mode, the seat will last until your child reaches 120 lbs. or 57 inches tall, whichever comes first

-angle adjuster not included; at $10, it's not expensive, but it would be great if they included it
-cupholder doesn't snap in, it just slides into place so my son removes it whenever we have it installed
-the head support wings slide down over time when you try to adjust them up
-the buckle stalk release is kind of hard to press (both a good and a bad thing I guess)
-Sometimes when tightening the straps, one is looser than the other
-a little difficult to get the straps tight enough
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 12, 2012
When my wife was pregnant with our third child, we realized we were in danger of joining the minivan mafia. We didn't really want the expense of a new vehicle, so we looked for car seats that would support having 3 kids in the back seat (middle row) of a Toyota Highlander. My oldest is in a booster.

We found the Sunshine Kids radians through some research, and were extremely happy. When the baby became old enough to need a covertible car seat, we instantly went online to Amazon and bought one. They're extremely solid, heavy, and durable.

I'm not sure if Diono bought the company or just changed the name, but we have not been as happy with the new one. We've had a lot of issues with the straps not tightening correctly/well, and I have had to take the seat out a few times to try to alleviate the issue, which is not exactly fun with a very heavy/ungainly car seat. While I have had this issue with other car seats in the past, I'm not entirely happy with it occuring with a car seat of this cost.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Format: Baby ProductVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Diono RadianRXT is a great car seat for those who are looking for a car seat that will grow with your child from 5 to 120 lbs. We own the Diono RadianRXT, DionoR100, and the Graco Nautilus 3-in-1, and would have to say that the Diono is our favorite car seat for traveling purposes, but our second favorite car seat for everyday use (mainly because the kids like the Graco cup holders and armrests - more on that below). There are many things about this car seat that we love:

1. It's easy to set up and install. While I did need the instruction manual to figure many of the various parts and how to fully assemble the seat, the instructions were clear and the seat took no longer than 15 minutes for me to get set up in house, then another 15 minutes to get it installed into our cars. I did not include the unpacking time for the car seat from the box - that's just silly.

2. The Superlatch system is brilliant. With the Graco latch system, you have to shove your fingers into the seat in order to feel the latch system bar, then youhave to push down on the clip to install the latch system, and then potentially pinch your fingers because the clip. When you remove the clip, you have to shove your fingers back into the seat, feel around the evil finger pinching clip, squeeze the clip and potentially pinch your fingers again! With the Superlatch, you just shove the candy bar shaped bar onto the latch in the car until you hear a click. To remove, you push a button the top of the Superlatch, then pull out. This is awesome of epic proportions.

3. The DionoRXT is amazingly slim. You really could fit three of these seats in the backseat of your car. We have a 2009 Honda Odyssey and a 2006 Honda Accord and three of these seats would fit in the back if we really wanted to. We chose to install the RXT in our Accord along with the R100, and there's enough room for both our kids to sit back there with our papillon dog in the middle.

4. While we got this car seat a little late for this purpose, the Diono allows for backward facing infants. It comes with head and side supports, as well as a large plastic piece to install under the car seat so it's inclined back for an infant to lie down in. This is great for parents who want to buy one car seat, and one car seat only to use for their child. This may be a con for some parents, as many parents like having the infant car seats to easily remove a sleeping baby from the car without having to unbelt them and potentially waking them up.

5. The thing we love about the DionoRXT the most is the convenience of the Diono when traveling by airplane. This car seat actually folds down compactly, has areas on the back for all the components to clip to, has the instructional manual literally tied to the seat, and comes with both backpack style straps, as well as a "over one shoulder" strap. My husband or I can carry it through an airport as easily as another piece of luggage, as it's not as cumbersome to lug around as conventional car seats. It's thin and folds down low enough to go through x-ray machines, and not terribly difficult to set up in airline seats. This is probably the best thing about the seat.

That said, here are the aspects of the seat that we didn't particularly like.

1. Set up of the seat is not very intuitive. The Graco Nautilus 3-in-1 is much more intuitive to figure out. I could easily remember how to break down the seat and assemble it without having to consult with the instructional manual. With the Diono RadianRXT, I always have to refer to the manual in order to break down and stow the many pieces. I'm guessing this is because it does break down much more compactly than the Graco, as well as has all those different clips to stow the straps for traveling. The instruction manual also does not store well into the seat as the Graco - it is simply shoved behind the fabric of the car seat. If not put in well, you can feel the manual through the fabric.

2. The cup holder is poorly designed. There is a single tube of plastic that is keeping the cup holder stuck in the armrest flap of the car seat. My kids can pull out the cup holder, as it doesn't really stay in very well. We decided to not even use it with our car seat.

3. The fabric of the RadianRXT is not as comfortable as the Graco 3-in-1. The fabric and cushioning is thin in comparison, and we were able to feel some of the hidden straps underneath the fabric. We have not had to wash the car seat fabric just yet and I will update my review with the condition of the fabric after a few washes, if it can be removed easily.

4. The armrests are practically nonexistent. If it wasn't mentioned in the manual, I would have guessed that there were no armrests on this car seat. My kids didn't think there were armrests on the seats, either.

In comparison to the DionoR100, the RadianRXT is a slightly better purchase, but not by much. The fabric in comparison, is much better than the R100. It not only feels better, but it looks a lot nicer than the R100. The RXT also comes with the additional cup holder, a shoulder carrying strap, the infant head and side positioners, as well as head side impact cushions. The structure of the R100 and RXT is pretty much the same, although the RXT does support 20 lbs more than the R100. How much this makes a difference really depends on the weigh and height of your child, as well as the car seat laws in your state. I really don't think many kids will be riding in a car seat up to 120 lbs...I could be wrong, though.

In comparison to the Graco Nautilus, RXT is much more compact, but is more difficult to assemble/break down for cleaning. My kids think the Graco fabric and cushioning is more comfortable, and like the cup holder and arm rests better on the Graco. However, they do like that fact that the RXT is easier to get into by themselves, simply because of the lack of armrests. The RXT fits much better than the Gracos in compact cars.

All in all, I think that the RXT is a fantastic car seat. It feels solid, looks great, and is comfortable for our kids. Highly recommended!