Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on February 16, 2014
I am a candle fanatic. I have tried all the best brands - Seda, Cire Trudon, Henri Bendel, Voluspa, Lisa Carrier... And this is one I always come back to. I love Diptyque and firmly stand behind their products, but I will focus this review on Baies and not the brand.
It is relevant, however, to note just how pretty the Diptyque packaging is. It looks great bedside or on a desk. I even keep one on top of my toilet in my all white bathroom, which makes the space feel elegant.

Baies is roses and berries. But its more than just that. Bulgarian rose is the rose used. It is incredibly luxurious - it takes 1300 roses to make ONE GRAM of pure oil. It has a fruitier quality than other rose varieties, and is a bit sweeter. It's a bit more pungent than your grocery store variety - in a good way. it's got plenty of strength.

The berries are currant. To me, currant is lovely, somewhere between a blueberry and blackberry in the smell. I really get a strong whiff of blackberry in this candle. But when the rose mixes with berry, they hug and dance in a beautiful way, and melt together in a way that becomes singular and new. It is more than just a mix of two plants - it is an entirely unique creation.

Just sitting out, you can smell this candle. To me this adds value. I am not just paying for burn time, but for a lovely faint lingering scent. For a small corridor, office, bathroom, bedroom, etc... it is roughly the strength of keeping a small sachet in the area. Not as strong as a diffuser, but its not like having a Yankee that only scents when burning and quickly fades when extinguised.

Please follow the guidelines for burning. It is best to burn the candle all the way to the edges whenever you light it. For some reason, burning it where the wax pool does not reach the glass on all edges is bad for the candle and the quality of the perfume oils in it. Furthermore, keep the wick trimmed. No need to buy a fancy trimmer, I use a small scissor or even a cuticle cutter when I do it. This is important. It must be trimmed before use or the flame gets to high, burns the wax unevenly, and releases smog. This goes for all candles from all brands. Always burn to the edge and keep wicks to 1/4" to avoid issues.

The scent released when burning is heavenly. It is strong, with a good throw. It really fills a room unlike any other candle I've had. It absolutely fills the space. My apartment is small, but you can smell this little candle all over. It takes me to an English garden, some magical special hidden place with shrubbery and petals abound. I imagine this as a garden in Alice in Wonderland. It's just joyous.

I love that its unique, and becomes a signature. Yes, its one of Diptyque's most popular, but most people don't buy Diptyque. This scent has become a signature that reminds people of me and my home. I love that people expect to smell this when they walk through my door, and associate my home with this lovely fragrance.
22 comments| 108 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon November 7, 2014
Wonderful as others have attested. Roses, but green, not sweet. Same scent as the Diptyque fragrance L'Ombre Dans L'eau. I love it, and have burned through several, but here's something I discovered: The Henri Bendel Candle in the scent Black Currant smells almost exactly like this. The Bendel candles are 9.4 ounces and are $30, or two for $50. So I buy that instead of this. I still love certain Diptyque scents such as Opoponax, that I have not found in other brands. But the Black Currant Bendel Candle is a really nice dupe of Baies at a much better price.
on January 16, 2011
Diptyque makes the best candles. Period. I personally love Baies, but iit has a very particular scent. These candles are very pungent and can fill an entire apartment or floor with their scent, so make sure you like the smell. If you're wary about spending $60 on a candle, do it. Don't waste $20 on an expensive-looking candle that wont smell like anything.
on June 3, 2014
I loved this candle, but after burning it for 10 minutes a night for about a month, it was gone!! It does burn nearly all of the wax, so you don't feel like any of it is wasted. Will definitely buy another!
on May 12, 2012
I was introduced to this intoxicating candle at a B&B in the south of France. I was determined to find this beautiful scent. Its a bit expensive but well worth it. Everyone loves the scent!
on September 3, 2013
Walked in to the Diptyque store on rue St Germain in Paris 18 years ago and bought my first Baies candle. Almost 2 decades and countless other candles later, this remains my favorite. It's not cheap, but neither is it as expensive as so many others on the market and this one is classic, a guaranteed hit with whomever.
on January 16, 2014
its a great luxury candle. The bulgarian roses and currants smell sophisticated. I wish I had 5 more of these candles to put around my apartment
on March 2, 2014
At first I was skeptical, I thought the scent would be overwhelming but when the candle is actually burning it is subtle. The scent is not overpowering and is perfect to burn for a long period of time.
on February 13, 2016
I have had several of these Baies candles (and some other fragrances as well), and I just love this one. Sure, they're expensive, but the quality is there. And this particular fragrance is just intoxicating. It fills up my little apartment with happiness.

You do want to burn it long enough the first time to melt the entire top surface, and to keep the wick trimmed and centered. With a little care, you can burn it all the way to the bottom so you get every last cent of scent from it.
on November 9, 2015
Decent candle, highly overrated. It burns clean and I do enjoy the scent. The cold throw is strong. I could smell the scent even outside of the candle’s package. There was excess wax around the inner rim of the container which made it look sloppy. The throw while burning wasn’t as strong as I’d thought it would be. I took off two stars because I think it’s not worth the price tag. $20-$30 max seems a fairer price for this product. I would have rather spent my money on candles from Bath and Body Works that have a more powerful throw and more product for your buck.