4.0 out of 5 stars Fresh take on a pack full of Alpha males
Rifter leads a pack of Dire wolves, they're immortal and responsible for keeping humans safe. Only a handful of Dire wolves remain, they're all Alphas, circumstances have forced them to work and live together, and Rifter is their leader.

Published on March 6, 2012 by My 2 Cents

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a very good book.
Saw this as a recommendation on Amazon and it had gotten good reviews so I ordered the book, expecting to at least like it somewhat.

But I didn't like it at all. Quite disappointing and I definitely would not recommend this book to anybody who enjoys romances.

Published on May 5, 2012 by Imp4

4.0 out of 5 stars Fresh take on a pack full of Alpha males, March 6, 2012
This review is from: Dire Needs: A Novel of the Eternal Wolf Clan (Mass Market Paperback)

Gwen is a doctor suffering from seizures which will eventually kill her. She meets Rifter the day she learns her death is imminent. She wants nothing more than to live and enjoy a real life while Rifter dreams of the ability to die.

This is a fascinating new world that I'm really excited about. Within the first few chapters I was feeling a very strong resemblance to other series like the Black Dagger Brotherhood and Lords of the Underworld. Somehow the author has made this story interesting and fresh. Each brother in the pack has a past and a separate identity which begs to be explored in subsequent books.

It's not the smoothest book to read because of the world building. Getting to know all the brothers also makes it a little choppy and difficult to digest. I really could have used a cheat sheet in the back giving me a basic description of each brother as well as a few definitions of terms used. I'm sure the next book will be much easier to read now that the introductions have been made and the world established. Honestly, I can't wait for the next book to see where it's all going.

5.0 out of 5 stars LITERAL ADDICTION's Review of Dire Needs, March 6, 2012
Our Review [by Michelle L. Olson - LITERAL ADDICTION's Pack Alpha]:
I was excited for this book from the minute LITERAL ADDICTION hosted Stephanie to promote the last Sydney Croft ACRO novel and she announced that she was working on bringing it to life.
When I finally received my Advance Reading Copy from Stephanie I set all other books aside and settled in, reminding myself that I needed to keep an open mind and judge based on what I was reading and feeling, and not what I had hyped it up to be. That wasn't difficult, seeing as Stephanie literally grabs hold of the reader 5 pages in and doesn't let go.
The Eternal Wolf Clan is comprised of 6 sexy alpha males who are the last of their kind and who have been thrown into the battle of good vs. evil to save themselves, their distant cousins the Werewolves, and humankind from a group of overzealous humans known as the weretrappers. The trappers basically have a grudge against any `others', though their grudge has evolved into a nefarious plot to use the `others' before exterminating them. To make matters worse, they have conned a coven of powerful witches into helping them, and that is just making things harder for the Dires.
This is Rifter and Gwen's story, but it's also a beautiful set up for the rest of the series and I can pretty much guarantee that readers will be picking their favorite Dire immediately upon meeting him in this first installment. Without breaking the flow, Stephanie gives great descriptions of each of the Dires and some of their backstory, making it almost impossible for the reader not to choose their own personal hunky wolf to champion.
Rifter is a fabulous male lead - the leader of the Dires with the weight of the world on his shoulders and a melancholy that he can't shake just for the simple fact that he's felt so alone for so long.
Gwen is a great female lead. She's smart, sassy, strong, and while looking for her prince charming, doesn't completely turn herself off when she finds him.
The story was beautifully told; extraordinarily crafted, not only as a standalone book but as a set up for the rest of the series. The world that Stephanie has built for the Eternal Wolf Clan is unique and fresh, not something easily done in today's market of rampant shifter stories. The added twists of magic and the Dires' individual gifts add another layer of intrigue to the mix and there were just enough secrets left untold to keep the reader wanting more.
I can't believe that I've finished book one of this long awaited treasure already. I want book 2 so badly now, it's not going to be pretty until the next release. I guess I'll just have to satisfy myself with spreading the word about Dire Needs and the Eternal Wolf Clan series so that everyone can read it, love it, and be in misery along with me while we wait for book 2. ;-)
LITERAL ADDICTION gives Dire Needs 5 Skulls and would recommend it to everyone. It's a great read for Urban Fantasy buffs, Paranormal Romance lovers, fans of the strong sexy alpha male, lovers of magic and mayhem... it's a well rounded book for just about everyone.
Kudos to Stephanie for giving us an amazing new shifter world to fall in love with.

4.0 out of 5 stars Writing just so-so, but steamy and fun!, May 2, 2012
This is a fun and sexy start to a new series that I will be keeping my eye on!

Stephanie Tyler is not a new author, but she is new to me. After reading Dire Needs, with all its sexual tension and fantasy werewolf politics, I am interested to check out her other work! Now, let's get real here, the writing in this book is not exactly high brow. This is classic paranormal romance with typical characters and predictable events. However, it entertained the hell out of me so I certainly can't complain!

Gwen is a human with a death sentence. She only has a few months left before her body succumbs to her illness, and she has decided to visit a dangerous bar and pick up the first hunk she can find. Unbeknownst to her, Gwen has entered a werewolf hangout and is being eyed by some hungry, horny wolves. Enter Rifter, a Dire Wolf who has just spotted Gwen and is instantly attracted to her. Rifter, all around badass hunk, doesn't understand why he is so drawn to Gwen, a human. Yes, we have insta-love here in the most corny sense of the term. But, for some strange reason, it works for Rifter and Gwen. Both Rifter and Gwen are pretty common character types for PNR, but as soon as they end up in her bedroom together and we discover more about Gwen I liked her much better as the leading lady. When we get to hear more of Rifter's thoughts than just "Horny. Need woman. Wolf wants to run. Etc." he becomes more likable and completely alphalicious. Rifter and Gwen's story is filled with attraction and lust and several wonderfully delicious bedroom scenes.

Rifter, is begrudgingly leading his band of brother Dire Wolves, which are a group of six: Rifter, Vice, Stray, Harm, Jinx, and Rogue. They are bigger and stronger than their cousins, the typical werewolf. The Dire Wolves are special wolves that were created and are governed by a council that makes major life decisions for the Wolves. There are not many of them left due to an almost-extinction thousands of years ago - an extinction attempt made by the council that governs them.

Though this book focuses on Rifter and Gwen's story, we get to read from other characters POV occasionally, including Vice, my favorite of the small Dire Wolf pack. He is one serious bad boy and I can't wait to read his book whenever we get it! I enjoyed the POV changes more than I usually do in PNR, but I must say the lack of transitions confused me at times. By this I mean that often Tyler would transition from one setting or time to another without the transition words necessary to help the reader understand the change.

My overall opinion of this series starter is that it is a bit of a guilty pleasure. I will most definitely read the next in the series, which will focus on Stray. Stephanie Tyler was one half of the writing pair behind the pseudonym Sydney Croft (erotica). The other half was Larissa Ione, who pens the Demonica series. Why mention this? Because Tyler mentions Eidolen and the demon-run hospital from Ione's Demonica series a few times in Dire Needs and I found this to be quite clever!

Recommended for fans of: werewolves, Black Dagger Brotherhood, paranormal romance, Sydney Croft, and the Demonica series.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a very good book., May 5, 2012

The author appears to want the create a compelling, angst ridden, edgy environment for her story. Her technique is to throw the reader into a whirlwind of hyper-drama with pain filled characters and tons of old, bad blood and scores to settle. Every now and again she remembers there is supposed to be a romance thrown in. It's so pathetically done. There is zero chemistry between the couple and then, suddenly, Rifter decides Gwen is "his". It was completely unbelievable and nothing that had happened between the characters gave me any feeling of actual connection between Rifter and Gwen.
I only read about half the book before I decided I didn't want to waste any more of my time on this book or this author.

Read Kresley Cole, Thea Harrison or Larrisa Ione for much better paranormal romance and save your money by avoiding this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic start to the series!, March 6, 2012
Summary
"The full moon is their mistress. They are predators of pleasure and pain. Feared by humans, envied by werewolves, the Dire Wolves are immortal shifters, obeying no laws but their own bestial natures. Once they were many, but now only six remain, a dangerous wolfpack forever on the hunt..."

Rifter leads his small but powerful pack of immortal wolf shifters called the Dire wolves as best as he can but it's hard to lead a group of alphas. Facing an ancient evil set on destroying all Dire wolves he has just about as much as he can handle but then it gets much much worse. Not only is he stuck with the missing son of the murdered werewolf alpha King, he also has a dying woman he can't seem to let go...ever.
Gwen is dying, the seizures she's dealt with her entire life are killing her. So instead of sitting at home and slowly fading away she decided to go out and enjoy what's left of her life, which is how she ends up in a bar where she meets Rifter. She knows the big sexy man has a secret but she doesn't care. She's drawn to him and he to her.
Together they face the biggest challenge of their lives and learn secrets that could make or break the Dire pack!

Review
I have waited months for this book! It feels like forever now that I've finally gotten to read it but it was so worth it! I wasn't disappointed at all! The action was energetic and always interesting, the characters, while confusing because there a quite a few main characters, where fantastic and extremely entertaining.
Rifter was the perfect male lead for this story. He's such a big hulking man, he knows how to fight and he does it very very well. He manages to lead 5 other big alpha males (the other Dire Wolves) successfully which isn't an easy task since they are all born leaders, not one of them a follower.
Gwen was a great female lead for this story too. Even though she's weak from her illness she still manages to be strong and sassy too and while she doesn't totally fit in with the Dire's, she definitely holds her own and doesn't let them intimidate her.
I very much enjoyed the interaction between Gwen and Rifter, they just seemed perfect for each other. And Rifter was so caring towards her, it was really sweet. Even though he thinks she's going to die he still takes care of her. It takes a special man to do that after only knowing each other a day or two.
The other Dire's were pretty amazing too. Vice would have to be my favorite since he's so out of control and I can't wait to see where she takes his story and how she works his bisexuality into it. That should make for a fantastic read!!!
Over all, this book was more than I expected it to be! I am so so excited for the future books in this series and I look forward to hearing more from these incredibly sexy men!!!

Reviewed by Anna at Book Lovin Mamas

5.0 out of 5 stars Dire Needs, Kindle Edition, February 1, 2013
I purchased and read this book on a Kindle DX.

I absolutely LOVED this book. I knew starting this book that it was going to be the first in a series, so I expected the world building and character building, but I didn't find it to be all that tedious. One of the things that I really like about this author is her sense of humor. She tends to inject funny little blurbs into her writing that I find myself laughing out loud at. I also like that there is an overarching story to the whole series, as well as the story of the two main characters.

I bought and read this book months ago, and am about 80% through the second book, Dire Wants. I find I am enjoying the second book as much as, if not more than, this book. This is definitely a series I will stick with till the end.

Finally, I also like that I didn't find a lot of formatting or spelling errors. That tends to distract me from a good book, but this was not the case here. Well done!

4.0 out of 5 stars I thought it was interesting how in this series the wolf is their natural form and the man their secondary., August 29, 2012
BiblioThoughts (West Saint Paul, MN USA) - See all my reviews
"When Fenrir was killed by the god Odin, Hati created two beings in his image who would become known as Mother and Father Wolf, Dire wolves born in human form so they could walk among the humans without fear, but change to their true form at will."

Thus the Dire race was born, but as the packs grew, they became envious of what the humans had. In their quest to gain power, wealth, and respect, the Dires began killing humans and eventually became uncontrollable. The Elders sent them a warning, but it was not heeded and the Elder set the Extinction upon them. Now there are only six known Dire alphas left, cursed with the inability to die and charged with protecting the very humans their ancestors murdered.

"Rifter needed a woman, Brother Wolf needed to run wild, and their appetites for sex and destruction mingled, rose with a hot howl as Rifter's Harley roared through the winter night."

One night as Rifter was out riding his bike, he stopped at a bar named Bite, because he smelled danger. There at the bar was a young woman who, not only caught the attention of all the men, but Rifter as well. Gwen is a human and for some reason Rifter feels drawn to her.

"She was already living with a death sentence, so why make it harder?"

Earlier that day, Gwen went to a neurology appointment for her seizures, and the truth wasn't good. The seizures are killing her and the medication isn't helping. So with that news, Gwen went to the bar, looking to awaken long-buried instincts she suppressed because of her illness. When she literally felt Rifter walk into the bar, she knew he wouldn't be gentle and treat her carefully.

This fated meeting between Rifter, the reluctant King of the Dire pack, and Gwen, the dying doctor who only wants to live, will change both their lives forever.

I thought it was interesting how in this series the wolf is their natural form and the man their secondary. It's different from how shifter stories are usually written with the man turning into the animal, instead of the animal turning into the man. The coexistence between the men and their Brother Wolves was pretty tame. Everything is equal, they work together, and there isn't any struggle for control between the two. There is one thing both man and wolf disagree on: their goals in life. In Rifter's case, his Brother Wolf's main goal is to become Father Wolf, which can only happen through mating. The fact that there are no Dire females makes that near impossible. Whereas Rifter only wants to die. Although that changes when he meets Gwen.

Rifter is a reluctant hero in Dire Needs. He doesn't want the responsibility of leadership, but knows that he needs to accept that role for the good of the pack. I think what will make him a great leader is his humbleness. He's confident and self-assured in his abilities, but he doesn't gloat about it. Confidence is good, but too much confidence can be a leader's downfall.

"According to Facebook, Rifter left the bar with a human. Twitter confirms."

Okay, am I the only one who thought that the use of social media was hilarious and kind of unbelievable? I mean, they value secrecy and don't want humans to know about their supernaturalness. How in the world could they keep humans from seeing their status updates and tweets? That is the unbelievable part. There is just no way. The hilarious part is the picture I get in my head as I read the quote Stray said above. He sounded like a teenage girl using Facebook and Twitter to stay in the know. He's this huge, masculine guy using social media for confirmation regarding Rifter. That just paints a funny picture in my head.

I really liked Rogue's description of Gwen and I totally agree with him that it's going to make things a whole lot more interesting. Gwen is hovering between life and death, she's a healer and a destroyer. She's dying because of her seizures, but she recently learned that she may yet live. Gwen is a doctor who heals the sick, but she also has the ability to destroy the Dires. It's like Gwen's very existence is liminal, an inbetween exixtence. She's inbetween who she was and who she's going to be. She's half one thing and half another. It's very interesting to think about. I can't wait to see how her liminality affects future events.

With the revelation that there are more Dires in the world than was thought, a great war between the supernatural and humans is beginning, and long-dead prophecies are turning out to be true. Stray will need to call in his brother, Killian, to help in the upcoming battles, but why was Killian kept a secret from the rest of the pack? I can't wait to find out in the next book, Dire Wants.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dire Needs-Stephanie Tyler, June 19, 2012
Just put this down , it will keep you up way pass your bed time....First of the series hope it will run a while..
Great from the start...

4.0 out of 5 stars Dire Needs, June 4, 2012
Rifter is King of the Dire Wolves, an ancient and deadly group of wolves created by the gods. Since the extinction of their kind Rifter and his small pack of Alpha Dires have been fighting the battles that arise with witches and weretrappers. There are many who would like to see the rest of the Dires cease to exist, but Rifter aims to keep his pack alive. A night of letting off some steam with, hopefully, a she wolf turns more complicated than he could have ever expected.

Gwen a doctor who lives to help others has only months to live. The seizures she has lived with her whole life are killing her. Deciding to throw caution to wind lands Gwen in a biker bar and leaving on the back of a bad boy's bike. She never expected her night of fun to turn into more but the intense connection to Rifter leaves her reeling.

Rifter's enemies have a plan to use the unsuspecting Gwen as a pawn in their deadly game. However, Rifter has plans of his own. Can he save Gwen from his enemies or will she mark the undoing of them all?

Dire Needs is an extremely sensual story. One of the big pluses of the story is the overwhelming attraction between Rifter and Gwen. The pull between them is undeniable. My complaint is that there weren't enough of them. Dire Needs is a very complex and intriguing story, but I felt that all of the facts at the beginning were overpowering. The story switched around so much that I was left feeling lost. While I wanted more and more of the couple I kept getting snippets of the other Dires and the enemy's thoughts. Dire Needs has an exciting premise and if you are interested in a story heavy on world building, and not necessarily heavy on romance, then you will like this story.

Miranda
Reviewed for Joyfully Reviewed

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, April 23, 2012
I wasn't sure what to expect, but Stephanie Tyler will be one of my new favorite authors. I look forward to the next book in the series.

Dire Needs: A Novel of the Eternal Wolf Clan
Dire Needs: A Novel of the Eternal Wolf Clan by Stephanie Tyler (Mass Market Paperback - March 6, 2012)
$7.99