5.0 out of 5 stars Good study guide for SAT Vocabulary
Published on March 31, 2012 by HeatherMS

1.0 out of 5 stars THE TOUGHEST VOCABULARY LET ME DOWN
Published on January 28, 2012 by E. Kazi

5.0 out of 5 stars Good study guide for SAT Vocabulary, March 31, 2012
This review is from: Direct Hits Toughest Vocabulary of the SAT 4th Edition (Paperback)
"Direct Hits Toughest Vocabulary of the SAT 4th Edition" is a tool for anyone taking the SAT to help do well in vocabulary. It covers 210 of the SAT's most difficult words and breaks them down into a language that will help the student retain the information better. Each word has, besides the definition, examples of its use through movies and television shows that are popular, musical references including groups, historical events and headlines from the news. This book covers words from disciplines such as science, social science, and literature; words with multiple meanings; and words that are considered the toughest on the SAT.

What I really like about this book is that it isn't overwhelming. The size of the book itself is compact and could be easily taken anywhere. Anytime you can break down a word and show its use in a context that most highschoolers would understand is great! A great example of this is with the word "myriad"

MYRIAD: Many; numerous
In "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince," MYRIAD problems test Harry during his sixth year at Hogwarts.

It then continues to demonstrate what some of these challenges were and reuses the word MYRIAD in the final sentence.

The book also has a fast review with quick definitions towards the end and 35 practice questions at the end.

I think that students reading this book are more likely to remember these words due to the popular subjects that they are incorporated in. It makes these vocabulary words more relevant to their experiences in their lifetimes. It is also a good book to keep around for any person as a way to increase and improve their own vocabulary in their own lives.

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as it gets., June 17, 2012
Wu Chong (New Haven, Connecticut) - See all my reviews
I don't have the world's greatest vocabulary. Sentence completion questions were my biggest weakness on the practice SAT and PSAT exams that I took.

Then, a friend recommended Direct Hits (DH) to me. Of course, I was initially skeptical about how "4 words on my SAT today came from DH." But he lent me his copies of the books and I gave them a try.

I took my SAT once and only once. That's because I got a perfect 2400 on my first try, not missing a single sentence completion question. And, like my friend, I saw 4 words from Direct Hits on that December 2010 SAT (as well as 3 DH words on my October 2010 PSAT).

This 2-volume series of SAT vocabulary books is, hands-down, the best out there. I highly recommend it to anyone studying for the SAT and the PSAT (or even to those who just want to learn new words with fun and interesting examples).

5.0 out of 5 stars Painless and enjoyable way to master key words, March 30, 2012
Amazon Customer (Kansas City metro) - See all my reviews
You will greatly benefit from and enjoy the process of building your vocabulary, even if you are not preparing to sit for the SAT exam, as you read one or both volumes of the 4th edition of Core Vocabulary of the SAT and Toughest Vocabulary of the SAT by Direct HitsTM

Did I just say "enjoy" in connection with learning vocabulary? Yes, I did, and I meant it. Both books are divided into three main sections: several chapters of vocabulary, a fast review section, and a test (with answers following). There is also a useful Index so you can mark words that may require extra study after you take the exam.

Volume One covers the core vocabulary in six chapters. Volume Two covers toughest terms in five chapters. What sets both of these books apart from standard vocabulary builders is that these make learning fun. SAT applicants will connect with the contemporary references that augment the traditional definitions. These books give valuable hooks that help you remember what each word means.

What most of us forget is that vocabulary adeptness isn't just a skill useful to ace entrance exams. A strong and confident use of words marks us as educated, thoughtful people. Being able to speak well and understand others helps us move up the career ladder and aids us in clearly communicating our ideas.

However, even if your purpose is simply to pass the SAT, you cannot go wrong in getting these books. Despite their compact size, they pack a wallop (my apologies to the authors but sometimes you simply have to use a common phrase to describe the impact, ahem, of a good book - or, in this case, two good books).

Volume 1 covers 220 core SAT vocabulary, dividing them into distinct sections. Chapters 1 and 2 cover 100 terms that are considered "high frequency" words that are necessary to score well on the Critical Reading portion of the SAT. These are the core vocabulary divided by the Educational Test Service (ETS) into five levels of difficulty. Studying these is important because levels 3 and 4 are missed by half of those taking the SAT. Study and master these are you are already ahead of the game.

Chapter 3 covers 30 words used to describe people who have achieved a certain fame or infamy. Chapter 4 provides a solid foundation of 25 "history-based" words that help students understand the history of words that form our language. Prefixes are the focus of Chapter 5, but unlike boring lists, this book divides prefixes into five sets which makes learning them much easier. Chapter 6 covers a crucial skill set on most college entrance exams: words that describe an author's attitude or the tone of a reading passage.

Volume 2 presents the toughest vocabulary that exam takers will encounter. The chapter numbers follow consecutively from Volume 1: Chapter 7 covers rhetorical and literary terms; Chapter 8 handles terms from the scientific and social science fields; Chapter 9 helps you understand words with multiple meanings; Chapters 10 and 11 tackle the toughest words on the SAT, those dreaded Level 5 terms.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading through these books because of their logical presentation and contemporary approach to defining vocabulary. I believe these books can help transform an average reader into either a lover of words or at least someone who will appreciate what language can do to clarify, amplify, and even simplify our ability to communicate effectively with one another.

5.0 out of 5 stars Helped improve scores!, June 9, 2012
I gave this book to my friend's son in addition to Direct Hit's Core Vocabulary. He was studying to retake the SAT to improve his scores. This book helped him improve his scores and put him into the 90th percentile!

5.0 out of 5 stars An Essential Companion to the First Book, May 23, 2012
In terms of learning new vocabularly, there is not too much variation in the difficulty. Certain words are easier to remember based on their roots perhaps, but learning is learning. That said, the Direct Hits book are the most effective way to learn vocab for the SAT. I used the 2nd edition when I took the SAT and received a perfect score on the verbal section. I recommended these books to my brother, who just took the PSAT last fall (and will be a National Merit Finalist based on his score ((over 220)).

These books really are fun, relevant, and very effective to study with. The word list has expanded, and the books also offer more memory tips and information about roots. Purchase both of the Direct Hits books (core and toughest vocab)!! They are all essential, and very useful words to know anyway, especially for someone entering college.

I can testify that three years after learning these words, I still recall most of them. I am currently using the 4th edition for GRE studying. If you don't have any of the direct hits books, of course get the new fourth edition. It is more expansive, thorough, and up-to-date than the others. That said, differences between editions 2 and 3, then 3 to 4, are slight. They are all improvements, though, and you can't go wrong buying these books.

5.0 out of 5 stars I tested this on my own students, April 21, 2012
I tested this series on my own students, and they reacted very positively to the vocabulary, the examples, and the quizzes. This is a great way for kids to build their vocabulary strength. It's also contagious in that you'll find yourself throwing the words around in fun ways with each other. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Guide, April 17, 2012
(Received via LibraryThing Member Giveaway)

Like Volume 1, Volume 2 is informative and the examples given provide a well-rounded approach to the terminology given.

Good set up providing the examples and definitions in first section, a fast review (of only vocabulary and definitions) in the second section and a review in the last section.

(Cross-posted between LibraryThing, GoodReads, and Amazon.com)

1.0 out of 5 stars THE TOUGHEST VOCABULARY LET ME DOWN, January 28, 2012
I am a high school junior. DH sent me copies of their new 4th edition to review. I wrote a review for the Core Vocabulary. However, I decided to wait and see how the Toughest Vocabulary would perform on the January 28th SAT. I took the test today. I am not happy. The Toughest Words had just two direct hits - prescient and obdurate. The book did not have voluptuous, aberrant, cathartic, ruminate, and erudite. These were all answers to difficult sentence completion questions. This is not a total shock. As others have pointed out, The Toughest Words is too short and needs to be updated.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful, June 13, 2014
Won this book from Goodreads. Loved how they set the book by having the words with the definition and a paragraph that incorporates the word in it. It is an easy way to be able to understand the word and how it can be used in a sentence. The words used in this volume are words from literary, science and social sciences, words with multiple meanings. At the end of the book they have a review of the words and there definition and a short quiz for you to use the best word in the sentence. Excellent way to understand these tough words and surely a easier and cheaper way to get closer that the score you want in your SAT.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Vocab Builder, August 25, 2013
This is a great book for anyone who wants to build their vocabulary and retain it. The author uses different contextual examples that will make it very easy for students to learn and retain important words.

Direct Hits Toughest Vocabulary of the SAT 4th Edition
Direct Hits Toughest Vocabulary of the SAT 4th Edition by Direct Hits (Paperback - January 31, 2012)
$14.95 $11.69