4.0 out of 5 stars Vegetarian Comic Book
I was looking for some new and unusual vegetarian recipes and thought I'd try this book, although I'd never heard of the restaurant. When I received the book, I was sort of pleasantly surprised to find that it was in a graphic novel format. The book relates a number of the restaurant owner's personal stories, including among other things, why we should cook with oil and...
Published on August 23, 2012 by Eilie

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but the recipes are insane
I enjoyed the cook book. The comic book part of it was really great!

However, most of the recipes are completely insane. The concept of doing a soup recipe that takes 3 days after you dehydrate some of the ingredients on a silpat and also then smoke some of the others with a homemade smoker, then some of the other things seems daunting to me. However, one...
Published 19 months ago by Pamela Pennington

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommend!!, August 24, 2012
This review is from: Dirt Candy: A Cookbook: Flavor-Forward Food from the Upstart New York City Vegetarian Restaurant (Paperback)
The recipes are listed in an easy to follow format. There are not any obscure ingredients. In between the recipes are many cooking tips. There are also several stories about the restaurant and the staff. If you have been to the restaurant and know the staff, their personalities come through in the story and illustrations. Well done! I highly recommend the cookbook and going to her restaurant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Grits with attitude, September 8, 2013
Brilliant and nuanced just like her food, Cohen's wise ass polemic on vegetable-focused cooking and the hardscrabble reality of running a NYC restaurant should be on every serious eater's bookshelf. I loved this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved the book, suggested our library buy it., February 16, 2013
Anyone who likes graphic novels, or cook books should really like it. My husband does the cooking, but I read all of the recipes, made me want to cook again. I bought it for my granddaughter, but I am going to have to get another copy for myself, also want to eat at the restaurant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, February 13, 2013
Got this for my wife who enjoys both cooking and reading. I cannot wait until she makes something from the recipes. We have both really enjoyed reading the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read!, February 5, 2013
This was a great book! So different from the normal "vegetarian cookbooks" you usually find. I have never heard of it before last night when I found it at my library while looking for new cookbooks. Reading it as a graphic novel/comic alone was worth the read. I would say the recipes in the book are for more "fancy" meals, not whip together in 15 minute meals for your picky toddler...something to impress your guests with...BUT the techniques she goes over are great for beginners, like me...her instructions are simple, but the dishes will look complex to your guests. I can't wait to try some of these recipes this weekend!

5.0 out of 5 stars Comic or Cook?, January 28, 2013
Hilarious and informative. Dirt Candy could easily live in a comics library as it would in the kitchen. Props to making this the first cookbook one can read for sheer pleasure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny and unique, January 18, 2013
My husband wanted to buy this book after hearing about it on the radio. We both enjoyed reading the graphic parts, and I am sure I am going to enjoy trying some of the recipes, which sound delicious.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!!!!!, January 12, 2013
Fantastic cookbook/ comic book, I have never wanted to read either a comic book or a cook book. I couldn't put this one down, LOVED IT

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE THIS COOK BOOK, January 3, 2013
anne (grand rapids, mi, United States) - See all my reviews
It came on time, I read it and cooked a fabulous meal from it!
Great format. entertaining book, have shared w friends

4.0 out of 5 stars loved the stories, December 23, 2012
The book is uniquely done. i bought the book for the recipes, but i found myself skipping through those parts to get to her stories b/c they were so interesting.

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›