5.0 out of 5 stars Beyond compare
I've read some crappy reviews for this vacuum, I gotta say. Well, the reviews themselves weren't crappy, persay, but some people thought the vacuum was crappy. Far be it for me to rush to the aid of an indefensable, inanimate object, but I was quite impressed by my new Dirt Devil, so I guess I felt compelled to say a few kind words.

My best friend inherited the...
Published on October 16, 2005 by James R. Fay

3.0 out of 5 stars By a teenager who hates cleaning.
Published on September 25, 2004 by Abigail Ehlen

3.0 out of 5 stars By a teenager who hates cleaning., September 25, 2004
This review is from: Dirt Devil 085805 Ultra Swivel Glide Bagless Vacuum (Kitchen)
My brother purchased this vacuum for our household and while it may not be my favorite vacuum cleaner of all time, it definitely has strong points. I have two dogs who shed constantly and the bagless system is a very, very good thing in my house. I vacuum on a daily basis. The Dirt Devil bagless vacuum does let you FEEL the power, like it says! This thing will pick up dog hair from 2 feet away with the hose. Nothing will be left behind, and you only have to go over it once. Let me go into the pros and cons of this vacuum cleaner.

The first thing you'll probably notice when you turn the vacuum cleaner on is the location of the power switch. The switch is foot-operated, which can be both a (literal) pain, or sometimes a joy. When you don't feel like bending over or looking for the switch, you'll find that the slightest tap will turn this thing on and off. Just make sure you aren't barefoot while you vacuum, otherwise turning your machine off might be a bit painful. The vacuum tends to get hot after long periods (5 minutes or so) of working, so touching it with bare skin is not a good idea. I don't think the people at Dirt Devil thought that one through too well when they placed the switch down near the motor. I don't really like the location.

Speaking of location, the power cord comes out of the machine from the bottom. It might just be me, but when I'm using the vacuum regularly (without the hose), it has a tendancy to drag on the floor and I can't help but run over the cable. It's a pain in the rear, because it stops the machine's huge plastic wheels from rolling. It gets tangled easily. I don't know what they were thinking when they put it there, next to a wheel. The length of the cord is awesome, though. I can vacuum two of my rooms entirely without unplugging. The body of the machine has a flip down plastic thing that will let the cord drop from being rolled up in an instant. That's always cool because I hate having to wind the cord UP and I most certainly don't want to have to UNWIND it one loop at a time.

As for noise, this is your standard vacuum cleaner that produces standard vacuum cleaner noise. I don't understand why people would get upset that a vacuum cleaner is noisy - that's just one of those facts of life that we have to learn to accept and then move on. It doesn't roar, but it doesn't whisper. I, for one, would rather have it loud so that I know what is going on inside.

Like the cord, the tubes for the Dirt Devil bagless upright are a good length. The attachments are good sized, petite enough to vacuum the crevices in a car, yet big enough to suck things like paper shreds. Most of them (the attachments) won't let inappropriate intruders through such as garden rocks, large lego pieces and hair scrunchies, but if those things do get in, it's not a problem. One of my FAVORITE features of this vacuum is the fact that you can open it and dig through the "trash" in case you've sucked up something that aught not be sucked. I do, however, hate the connection that you have to use for the hose. On the body of the machine, there is a flip top that you have to hold open while inserting and twisting the hose. I find it highly annoying and not very user friendly. To take the hose off and put the other back, you have to twist and pull and then connect the OTHER hose (the canister hose) to the body. All of this is done 4 inches from the floor, and it gets old; I would prefer a simple pop-and-switch hose.

Our vacuum cleaner is just over a year old and hasn't died, even with daily use, so in my opinion, it's a pretty hardy little workhorse. (I prefer it over a broom and dustpan.) For those like myself who cannot afford $500 for a Dyson SuperMajigger, this vacuum is a viable alternative - one that I would suggest looking into, but keeping your eyes on other vacuum cleaners.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beyond compare, October 16, 2005

My best friend inherited the vacuum from a mutual friend of ours and we tried to sell it in a yard sale we just recently held. I needed a vacuum, but I figured something must be wrong with this one since it was in a yard sale. My buddy told me that our mutual friend gave it to him when he moved out of state, and that the vacuum worked fine. I checked out the vac and struck a deal to buy it and an old dining room table for $73, which was the total of my own yard sale earnings up 'till that point. I guess that means I got my Dirt Devil for what, $36.50?

Once I cleaned it up and removed roughly 42 lbs. of hair from the spinning wheel thingamuhfrick, it worked just fine. So fine, in fact, that I was damn impressed. Not only was there no dust, but the air immediately began to smell fresh when I turned it on. This flabbergasted me. And the suction! Seriously, this thing is powerful. It leaves better lines than other vacuums. I know how stupid that sounds, but hey, I like those lines because I want other people to know I've vacuumed when they come in. It sort of defies the rumor that I'm some kind of filthy slob. Which I'm not. But I am somewhat neurotic. Or else I wouldn't be writing some pointless never-to-be-read review about a vacuum at 2:42 in the morning.

Anyyywayyy, moving right along at a snail's pace, removing the canister is a cinch, but shaking out the filter should definitely be done outside, with a hazmat suit on if possible. But what do want for $89.99? I mean, $36.50? In conclusion, I really like my new Dirt Devil and if you're not dead from the neck up or throwing money away for fun, you will too. Of course, there's no accountability for common sense these days, which is probably why I wrote this in the first place; WHATEVER THE HELL THAT MEANS.

The proceeding was an unpaid review for the Dirt Devil 085805 Ultra Swivel Glide Bagless Vacuum. Amazon.com is not responsible for the views expressed in my review, nor do they reflect the views of Amazon.com, even though my views are right and anything to the contrary is inherently wrong. Questions and comments about who the hell I am, and how you could hire me to do this for you full time,(...) Thank you for reading my review.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well, but is messy to empty, May 3, 2006
Desert Belle (Tucson, AZ United States) - See all my reviews
I got this vacuum as a "loaner" while having my Bissell serviced. (Translation: I purchased it to use in my Bissell's absence, and can get my money back when I return it. The store's idea, not mine!) I could basically choose any vacuum, and I chose the Dirt Devil because it was smaller and less expensive - one I might consider NOT returning, but keep as a backup.

Well, first the pros. It is not one of those wide-path vacuums, plus it has swivel wheels, so it's great for maneuvering around furniture and in tight spaces. It tilts way down so you can really get far under something like a desk or table. The suction is excellent; I tried it on a floormat from my car, and it tried to suck the whole mat into the vacuum! It seems to get up quite a lot from my indoor carpet, which is great because (1) I live in Arizona, and you haven't seen dust until you've lived in the Sonoran Desert!!, and (2) I have two dogs - one a shepherd/husky mix who is now blowing his coat, three cats, and a daughter with hair down to her butt, so there's a lot of hair on the floor! You can really see what you've accomplished with the clear dirt collector, which is easy to remove and take outside with the convenient handle. The container remains covered so you don't spew dirt in the air while you carry it out. I do like the foot switch, and I'm not bothered by the cord coming out of the bottom, because there are clamps to hold it up and out of the way. The whole vacuum is relatively small and lightweight, especially nice for an apartment or condo.

Now for the cons. The biggest one is the MESS! My Bissell has two foam pre-filters that are easily washed in the sink, so the dirt and hair don't collect on the HEPA filter itself. This Dirt Devil has the HEPA filter right there in the dirt collector, so you're supposed to "tap" it to remove excess dirt. (For me that means BANG it on the trashcan for several minutes while a cloud of dust flies in my face. Don't DARE try doing this in your kitchen trashcan!!) The cord is much shorter than the one on my Bissell, so the range is more limited than I like; it's about the length of my Toyota Camry. The hose is kind of a pain to use, because rather than just detaching and using it, you have to first detach the intake hose from the base, then connect the extension hose to the intake hose - a nuisance I'm not used to. After you connect it, it's fine.

Bottom line, this vacuum works very well despite minor design annoyances. I most likely will return it, since the mess of emptying the dust collector is a big downer for me. If you don't mind that, you might really like this vacuum; it's probably not a big problem if you don't have excessive desert dust or pets.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Vacum cleaner for the price paid, July 10, 2005
ROI - This is a low-end vacum cleaner from the price standpoint. I paid just over $50 and it seems to be doing more than I paid for. I think that the sucction and cleaning are great. I give it 4 stars for return on investment.

Noise - I have used Eureka, Hoover, Bissell brands in past and all under $60. This one makes pretty much the same noise as the Eureka and Hoover did. The Bissell I had was noisy from the day one.

Bagless - This is my first bagless vacum and so far I am liking the fact that I can empty the canister easily. I have a leaf blower and was thinking of blowing the air from the inside of the filter to blow away the dirt clinking to its outside. Of course this will have to be done in the yard, not inside. ;-)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for the money, August 3, 2008
First, let me just say that I bought this without doing much product research, then when I read some of the less favorable reviews I was concerned and thought about returning it. I ended up keeping it, and I'm very happy with it.

Here are some specific responses to other reviews:
- The cord location: yes, the cord comes out towards the bottom of the base of the unit. However, (1) it's not actually that close to the ground so that it would get tangled up with the vacuum, and (2) if you read the instructions, you'll find out that there is a handy little plastic doodad to attach the cord towards the top of the unit so that you don't have issues with tripping or running it over. I did this and did not have any problems, besides the usual issues with any vacuum that has a cord.
- The HEPA filter: yes, the filter is dirty and annoying to clean. However, any vacuum with a HEPA filter is just as much of a pain. The only way I know how to avoid this issue is to get one of those fancy Dyson or Dyson imitators that are at least a couple hundred dollars. Although I read a few other reviews that stated you have to clean the filter every time you empty the dirt cup, you don't. You can just let the filter stay in there while you dump it into the garbage.
- weight/maneuverability: this is one of the lightest vacuums outside of those shoddy stick vacs. I am able to lug this up and down stairs very easily, and I'm out of shape. Also, the turny wheels on the bottom make it extremely easy to turn; it's the easiest to maneuver out of any vacuum that I've ever used (and I've used a lot, because I did a lot of chores as a child).
- vacuum strength: the vacuum is really strong and awesome. We had gotten new carpets a few months ago, and the salesman warned us that we should vacuum it a few times to get excess/loose fibers out. We did, but we were using a really low-powered hand vac that only picked up a little each time. This thing had its cup full of the fibers by the time I finished two rooms (and it didn't lose suction, by the way).
- switching to the hose attachment: I really don't understand what the big deal is. You have to pull off one hose before you attach another. I don't see why that's a problem; it takes all of five seconds to do.

a few other pros:
- I like the accessory/attachment storage. The stuff actually stays in place, as opposed to numerous other vacuums where you constantly have to pick them back up because you somehow knocked them off
- the handle release lets you get way down low, lower than any other vacuum I've used. This is great for getting underneath furniture.
- I like the clear dirt window - it's a great gimmick to let you see the stuff going into the vacuum. If you accidentally suck something up that you wouldn't want to, such as a piece of jewelry or a toy, it catches your eye right away.
- the foot-pedal power lever is awesome - I don't have to bend over!

a few cons:
- this is not for people who are rough on equipment. The plastic is not heavy-duty, so I could see it getting cracked if you're throwing it around the place. However, if you don't let the parts besides the bumper hit walls or furniture at high speeds, you should be fine.
- if you have the money to spend on a vacuum that doesn't need a filter, go for it. I hate these stupid filters. They're almost as annoying as vacuum bags.
- there's no handle on the bottom half of the unit in order to carry around easily. Because it's so tall, I had to lift it above my head in order to make sure it didn't hit any stairs while I was carrying it behind me.

a few other comments:
- I don't have pets. I've read mixed reviews about how this picks up pet hair. My personal recommendation is to look for a vacuum that is meant for pet hair (which will be considerably more expensive); they are specifically designed to get hair, which other vacuums typically have a hard time getting, especially in large quantities.
- I did not notice this running hot, but then again it was so quick and easy to use that maybe I just didn't run it for long enough to see.

- I have this set on the second-to-highest setting for carpet piling. It looks like the lower settings are meant for bare floors or berber carpets. Some people that are having a hard time maneuvering may just have the wrong setting.

4.0 out of 5 stars Review the reviews for this great value vac!, February 19, 2008
GnoMike (Vancouver, Canada) - See all my reviews
I had an opportunity to buy a 2nd hand Dirt Devil 085805 Ultra Swivel Glide Bagless Vacuum, so naturally I came here to read the reviews and see what I would be getting into. After reading the reviews and seeing the vac in person, I bought it (paid $25 for 1.5 yo vac w/new hepa filter). I decided not only to report my own findings, but to comment on the accuracy of all the reviews I read!!

The short version of my review is this: Good vacuum, great value, and the reviews (both positive and negative) of the product on this site give a VERY good idea of what to expect (28 of them at the time I did mine).

Read on for more details...

Suction: With the hose + attachments the suction is average - neither impressively strong nor disappointing. What IS impressive is using this baby in its 'zone' - on carpet! The design of the head is excellent, allowing the brush + suction to pull up an astounding amount of hair and dirt... and this was AFTER vacuuming the same area with both another upright AND a hoover canister vac. People who complained about too much power on the carpet should have used the height adjustment ;-)

Switches: The foot switch does feel a little flimsy, but works just fine nevertheless. On when I wanted on, off when I wanted off. Good boy. Well done. The switch to release the upright for vacuuming was a hair trigger - good for speedy vacuuming, bad for holding the vac vertical when needed.

Cord: Yep... a little cheap. Reasonable quality, but on this 18 month old vac there were 2 small breaks in the plastic cover. No big deal to me, but might be for some. Complaints about the cord being attached at the bottom are IMO a bit whiny. Give me a break - either hold the cord in your hand, or use the secure clip on the body of the vac for exactly that purpose... to hold the cord up out of the way!

Wheels: Manoeuvrable swivel casters make this vac easy to move around. Those who complained about its ease of use may have had the carpet height adjustment set too low... It can sometimes be hard to push because of the strong suction.

Tools: The included tools were no-frills but not flimsy. No complaints. There is no 5" wide plastic head for cushions though, which I would have liked. When the accessory hose is attached, the rotating brush does not stop, unfortunately, but if you raise the height setting, this annoyance is minimized.

Dirt container: Clips in and out no problem - don't know why there were complaints on this aspect. More expensive vacs DO tend to have better clips, but this one worked just fine. As for the filter cleaning, though, THOSE complaints were well-founded. The hepa filter has to come out to empty the container, which is a bit of a pain. The filter itself can be messy to clean (do it outdoors!) and you'll get a nose full of dust :(. There are definitely better designs out there!

Noise: It's true, this vac is a tad louder than average I would say... louder than the other upright and canister vac I was testing it against. Difference wasn't huge, though.... and hey, it's a vacuum... what's it supposed to sound like, a toaster?!? ;-)

In general, the annoyances you read about in the reviews are real, but if you don't let them get to you, you'll enjoy the great value of this Dirt Devil. It costs little, but cleans well. If you can afford a better vac that cleans as well without the annoyances, then go for it! However, I was very impressed overall by the DD's cleaning power, and isn't that what a vacuum is all about?

2.0 out of 5 stars Powerful but a pain, December 13, 2004
Pro - Very powerful vacuum that picks up enough to require the large canister to be emptied after every use, at least for our house. And the price is great.

Cons - Poor design that makes it a pain to empty. The hepa filter IS IN the dust canister! Therefore, every time I empty the canister (see above) I have to take the large hepa filter out and bang it against the outdoor trash can for a whole minute to clear out all the lint that gets imbedded into the filter's ridges. The worst part is trying to hold my breath long enough to do it. I got fed up with it and finely bought a different vacuum.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a deal, January 17, 2007
Please do yourself a favor, do not use this vacuum while your mother-in-law is visiting. You will be embarrassed because this vacuum picks up things your old vacuum leaves behind. I vacuumed the house one time and the bagless canister was full. We vacuum our house on a very regular basis, however, this vacuum digs deep and pulls everything out. ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!

I would recommend this vacuum for anyone looking for a lightweight vacuum with a lot of sucking power. As I mentioned before, it picks up things from your carpet your old vacuum leaves behind. You will be amazed. The swivel casters make this vacuum EXTREMELY maneuverable and easy to get in and out of tight places and spaces.

The only drawback I have with the vacuum is the narrow cleaning path. It extends the overall vacuuming time a little, but in my opinion it is well worth the extra time to have a clean house and better looking carpet. We have a long haired cat who is constantly shedding and leaving hair everywhere, turn on this vacuum and so long hair (and cat).

I have read other reviews complaining about noise and heat. First of all, the noise level is no higher than any other vacuum I have owned. And the heat? I am not sure what they were doing with their vacuum, but I have cleaned the entire house and have not experienced this issue.

Overall, if you are looking for a VERY affordable vacuum that does a wonderful job, look no further. I would highly recommend this product to anyone in search of a new vacuum cleaner.

**And remember, do not use for the first time while the mother-in-law is visiting :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Boy, this baby sucks!!!, March 22, 2006
The one and two star reviews are really unfair. This is probably the most effective vacuum machine in its class. It has its faults: it is loud, heavy, the cord is annoying, and I wish it had more hose, but I've owned about 5 VCs and none compare to this one's ability to suck dirt, and especially dog hair, out of carpet. I initially did not like this machine because of the noise (it is still loud), so I had to buy the highly rated Eureka Smart 4870DT which now sits in the corner collecting dust, because it is a true dog compared to this baby.

4.0 out of 5 stars Vacuum Up With The Devil, December 22, 2004
There are just so many different kinds of vacuum that really sound great but aren't as well put as they can imagine through their customers' eyes. Nevertheless, it is the convience of the vacuum that makes it all worth while. Since our Eureka broke recently, we had to find a new kind of machine to pick up those kind of messes. At first, I honestly was thinking of a sweeper by Shark. because it was very lightweight and convient. Yet, my mother wasn't interested. So, I looked on the net, and saw a beauty by Dirt Devil. I had one before, but it wasn't very well put together. But, that all was a decade ago, and vacuums have really changed.

Dirt Devil's Ultra Swivel Glide vacuum is a powerful upright, with a affordable price. The vacuum has a very convient bagless technology, which also carries a real pwerful feel with cleaning. The upright was a little complex trying to assemble by yourself, but once it was compiled, it really showcased itself a simply powerful vacuum. The machine contains 12 Amps of power, a convient bagless pitcher-like storage space, where the filter is, and the rubbage that needs to be tossed in the trash that was picked up. Yet, while it may seem a little noisier than others, it really does clean quite well.

While there are so many people that think finding vacuums are very pricey, and would prefer other kinds of ones at prices that are even more than the weight of power they carry. Dirt Devil's Ultra Swivel Glide is a remarkable vacuum that is just delightful for anybody who needs to fix up their life.

Packaging: B

Convience: B+

Power: A-

Overall: B+

Rate and Discover Movies