Industrial-Sized Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Get Ready for the Winter Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals Shop Now HTL

on December 1, 2007
Our big and heavy Dirt Devil Platinum Force quit after 5 years of service and we decided to try something lighter and much less expensive.

The Breeze arrived in 3 days, even with free shipping - thanks Amazon!
Assembly was a breeze, just 4 screws. We have over 1500 sq ft of carpeted areas and steps so I put the new vacuum to work.

-- Price (and I also used a gift certificate) - sweet!
-- Lightweight! What a difference it makes.
-- Very powerful. It sucked a full dirt container from our house.
-- Thermal protective device - according to the manual this will shut off the motor to prevent overheating (what our old vacuum did not have)

-- No HEPA filter out of the box but the next time I replace the filter I can get a HEPA filter from Amazon
-- To use the hose (on the steps, inside car) I needed to detach the main hose and connect the special hose. But it's cool how you plug-and-twist the hose in place.
-- Warranty is only 2 years. But for the price I paid that's fine.

So really, no negatives yet. Happy with this purchase.
on May 11, 2008
First off, how do you say "mixed bag" about a "bagless" vacuum? Well however you say it, here is my opinion on it - the good and the bad. I purchased mine as a second vac, and despite past nightmares with entry bagless vacs, wanted something I could empty after each occasional use vs. store away with a partly filled bag.

On the pro side: This unit is VERY light in weight. Great for those with arthritis or anyone who is carrying a vacuum up and down stairs. What is not lightweight is the power - it definitely has good suction. I also like the slightly narrower width whem compared to most other vacuums - 13" wide vs the more common 15" wide may not seem like much, but this fits in narrow places yet is still a full power vac.

On the neutral side: Emptying is easy, but like most entry level bagless units, the filter is a mess to deal with. Best bet is, from time, use a second vac to clean this units filter, or used canned air outside upwind.
Attachments are okay - connecting the hose is akward. Just a note - the height is actually simply fixed, not "automatic", but it does lift the beater bar up when the handle is in the upright position to prevent carpet damage.

On the negative side: This is a very loud vacuum cleaner. On a scale of 1-10, this is an 11. Pickup can be tricky, as it wants to spit items back at you - and with the exhaust blowing downward in the front, stir up dust ahead of you. Note - if you have problems with dust and allergies, avoid this or have someone else clean the filter for you.

Overall: The negatives are strong issues against the positives and neutrals on this vac. Also keep in mind that with the low end bagless vacs, the money you save on bags is more than spent on filters. Almost like buying a printer - the printer is cheap, but they get you on the ink. Here they get you on the filter.

All in all, this makes for a handy and powerful second vac, a lightweight vac for those who can't handle a heavy vac, and a vac to consider if you are really stretching the dollar. But be careful not to think bagless is going to save you money.
1010 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 26, 2008
I've had my Dirt Devil Breeze for (3?+) years now (Obviously an older version but based on what I see from the picture nothing had changed much.) Bought this as replacement to a previous vacuum cleaner which had the "fan" (not sure if this is the correct word for it) that was in the path of the dirt (I believe that was a hoover). I used it to pick up some solid object and got stuck in the "fan" which caused it to break on me. The design of the breeze was a lot better since the filter catches objects before it gets to the suction mechanism. Overall, does what its supposed to do.
- The exhaust out in front was definitely a design "duh". But you wouldn't realize it till you use it for picking up light material (e.g. small bird feathers).
- Is there an easier way to switch from bottom suction to the onboard tools?
- Emptying the canister is definitely a hassle (but sames me money in the long run)
- *LOUD* And I cannot say this enough. My unit is a little older and I swear this thing gets louder with age. I swear, I was two houses away and I thought my wife was using the table saw. If you want to tune out the rest of the world or not want to hear somebody nag at you, though, this is definitely for you.
- No height adjustment (tough to use on thick carpet)
- A definite work horse. I think this thing will last a lifetime. This is the first vacuum cleaner I will get rid off that actually still works.
- As mentioned above, design was better than other vacuums
- Cheap
on February 27, 2010
I have owned a dirt devil vacuum before and found it quite satisfactory for the price. Not so this one. There are four complaints:

1. It is difficult and unpleasant to change from the floor to the hose. You have to physically shift the suction tube from the one to the other--no simple switch as with most vacuums. This means you avoid doing it as much as possible.

2. It exhausts out the front and blows the dust bunnies away. You literally have to try to sneak up on them and chase them down. They often get blown up in the air, and then you either have to wait for everything to settle, or come back later to find the room looking still un-vacuumed.

3. It is heck-of noisy.

4. The filter is difficult to clean.
on June 13, 2009

-Strong suction.
-Fairly well built for the price
-Not much noisier than others in similar price range.
-Exit air blows front and up at a 45 degree angle when vacuuming. Shouldn't blow dirt around in front of vacuum.
-Design results in suction being retained even as dirt fills the chamber. Big plus over bag vacuums and other bagless designs.

-Cord coming out of bottom gets caught in wheels. I tied it up to the handle to avoid problem.
-Like other bagless vacs, messy to clean out. Definitely do outdoors and down wind. Not for users who have allergies.
-Filters are expensive - $15+. Needs changing once/yr or more.
-Doesn't hold much dirt until it needs to be cleaned out.

Overall, best option I found in a sub $100 upright vacuum.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
This vacuum does a fine job at what's intended for. It will get your floors clean. However, it has several problems that are so frustrating that they detract from the things that I do like about the vacuum.

The main problem is that the suction pipe to which you connect attachments, does not lock in place when not using an attachment. This means that it frequently disconnects from the main head of the vacuum. I'll finish a section of carpet, and then realize that it's been disconnected the whole time and have to redo that section. It would have been so incredibly easy to prevent this by simply putting in a quarter-rotation lock of some kind. This is a critical flaw in my opinion.

Another failure is the way that the canister that holds the waste opens. You depress a button to open it, but the door is spring loaded, and when you do, it showers dust and lint all over the place. I have to open it into a plastic trash bag, or out doors, to make sure it doesn't mess up the floor I just cleaned.

I agree with another reviewer that this vacuum is very noisy! Much noisier than the old Kirby I used to have, or even the cheap, off brand vacuum I keep in my basement.

On the pro side, the vacuum is light, works well when the suction pipe isn't disconnected, and costs a lot less than more expensive brands. Unfortunately, this instance, you really do get what you pay for.
on January 3, 2010
I just bought this vacuum last week and only used it twice so far, but I am thoroughly impressed. It definitely has great suction power. (I have three pets and it is a constant struggle to stay ahead of shedding.) I had sprinkled one of those powder deodorizers on my carpet a few months ago and have consistently vacuumed since with my old vacuum and had thought I had got it all back up... until I used this vacuum for the first time. In addition to all the pet hair it picked up, it also pulled up all this white powder that was still in the carpet for all those months after countless times of vacuuming with my old vacuum! I couldn't believe it! The canister was full before I knew it, so I had to empty it and vacuum again right away because it kept picking up more dirt than I even knew was there!

I only gave it four stars because of a couple of things that bothered me about the design of the vacuum. So you might want to consider the following before you buy this vacuum:

First, being "lightweight" and a "Breeze," it is smaller than a standard vacuum. This can be a benefit if you want to get into tighter areas without having to use attachments. (My old vacuum couldn't fit between the tight spaces between furniture, but this one does.) But this also means the canister is smaller and holds less dirt, so you have to empty it more frequently, which is a big pain. Anyone who uses a canister vacuum knows that the worst part of vacuuming is emptying the canister, so that is a drawback.

Second, the cord is shorter than the past two vacuums I have owned. I used to be able to plug my old vacuums in at one end of the living room and could reach the entire living room and hallway without having to unplug it and replug it in somewhere else. This comes up like two feet short. This may not be an issue for you, but for me it is an inconvenience to have to unplug it and replug it in closer just to finish the last two feet of carpet.

Third, the exhaust fan really blows out a lot of air. I have never had a vacuum with such an exhaust output before so it is odd to me. It blows the air up and out the front at about a 45 degree angle. Because it is angled up it doesn't really affect dirt you are trying to vacuum up, but if you have papers anywhere low (like on end tables, coffee tables, etc.), it blows them clear across the room. So make sure you think about what you have anywhere below the waist in the room before you use this vacuum.

Overall, based on price, suction power, and mobility, I give this vacuum a good review and recommend it.
on November 24, 2007
Bought this vacuum at Home Depot today for $39 and it does a fantastic job. Recently bought a Shark Infinity, paid $200 for it, worst unit I have ever used or bought. Highly recommend the Dirt Devil and the price can't be beat! Even bought a 1 yr extra warranty for $4.99.
on September 5, 2010
This vacuum worked great at first. After a short time there was an occasional whiff of burning belt and a whine like the brushroll/ beater bar wasn't turning. Soon the belt broke, so I went to replace it and found the beater bar had completely seized up. Looking the brushroll/ beater bar over, I saw that it had been assembled crookedly. One of the square holder ends was centered in the middle of the bar, the other end was offset. This is obvious when looking at it and should have never made it past QC in my opinion. A replacement one will cost $16 plus shipping- not worth it for a $50 vacuum.
on December 4, 2011
First let me say we currently own several vacuums , a built in whole house Nutone, 2 Roomba's and 2 Dyson Vacuums, a DC07 and a DC26 City canister vacuum First let me say the Nutone is worthless and the Roomba's didnt last 4 months.
Although there is a bit of assembly to do out of the box you are up in running in a few minutes with the aid of only a screw driver. Only four screws to drive in. Owning a large home we wanted a third vacuum to assist without having to run the much heavier DC07 up and down 3 floors. So I caught this on black friday special for $40 at HH Gregg, sorry Amazon. I wasn't expecting much even though the salesman told me it would be the best $40 vacuum I ever bought. However, from the moment I turned it on I was blown away. It far exceeded my expectations both on carpet and bare floors. It is so light and powerful that everyone should own one. I immediately filled a bag up halfway in 5-10 minutes of vacuuming. It was easy enough to empty the bagless collection canister and shake off the filter in the trash can. The attachments are simple to use and are a bonus. The cord is plenty long (25ft) but not retractable ,although I wasn't expecting it to be at this price. The build quality is not bad for the price. So even if it dies in a year it would be money well spent. We have a lot of steps so the DC26 is still going to handle that chore but this is a nice addition to have in the house for bare floors carpets and the cars. Dirt Devil you have done a marvelous job of putting a ton of bang for the buck in your product. I am ordering 2extra HEPA washable filters today on Amazon for $7 , cant beat that! Had I known this would suction as well as my DC07 I would have never bought the Dyson which only has a slightly better build quality at 9-10 times the price. Beware folks with sensitive ears, that power comes at a price , it is very loud.