Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Dirt Devil CE4500 Vac n' Mop
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on March 24, 2004
I have two little kids and it seems like my kitchen floor ALWAYS has crumbs on it. I do a lot of sweeping and Swiffering and it's definately NOT my favorite household chore. Recently our Swiffer Wetjet broke and I was looking for a replacement and I came across this. I got lucky and found it CHEAP on an Amazon Friday sale, so it ended up being no more expensive than a Swiffer replacement would have been.
So far I'm thrilled with it!! I love not having to get out my broom and sweep the room before I mop. The vaccuum gets into all the little nooks and crannies very easily and picks up everything. No more bending over with the broom and the dustpan!
The wet sprayer also works really well. The cleaner that it comes with smells great and I especially like that because this unit is heavier than a Swiffer (due to the vaccum), you don't have to push so hard to get the stubborn spots off the floor. It comes with two bottles of cleaner, but you could refill it with any cleaner. Unlike the Swiffer, you don't have to use their bottle. Just take the lid off the bottle that comes with it and pour in anything you want.
Overall, this product seems to be pretty sturdy and useful for the price. It's small, but powerful and I'm much more likely to keep my floor cleaned now that I can do it so easily!
I took off one star due to the only drawback-the fact that it has to be recharged often. That can be kind of a pain if you're ready to use it and it hasn't been charged. It would be nice if it had a removable battery pack or something that could be plugged in seperately, but it doesn't.
All in all, I this is worth the money!
on December 18, 2003
Pros: Good overall cleaning for hard floors, enough battery life for multiple cleaning jobs. Works very well!
Cons: Can't find cleaning pad refills
I was tired of sweeping floors and then mopping them every night so was looking for something to replace these 2 mundane chores. On reading reviews of similar machines, I picked this one since it seemed to have a more powerful battery which implied more juice per charge. When I received the box from Amazon, it seemed to be an open box that was packed up with tape. That was quite disappointing. It could have meant a returned item. When I started using the Vac'n'Mop, it sucked up all dirt and food particles very well and the mopping was excellent. The hand grip is a bit flimsy and feels like it may come apart anytime. Overall it is a good 2-in-1 but the biggest drawback is that I can't find the cleaning pad refills anywhere. Even Dirt Devils' own site doesn't have any info on the part number or suggestions on where to get 'em. So I gave it 4 stars. Have emailed Dirt Devil's customer support. Will have to wait & see what they recommend.
on January 7, 2004
My husband purchased the Vac'N'Mop as a tool to minimize the amount of time that I spend cleaning kitchen and bathroom floors. At first the product seemed to be the answer to my cleaning needs. I charged the product as indicated for 24 hours before the first use and used the product without complaint. The product sat for a few days before the next use and when I attempted to use the vacuum, the battery died shortly after turning it on. I re-charged the battery and attempted to use the product again, only to find that within minutes the battery was dead again. I called customer service and was informed that the battery life is 9-13 minutes. Well I don't know about you, but 9-13 minutes is not enough time for me to vacuum the kitchen floors much less mop them. I will be returning the product and going back to the tried and true method of sweeping and them mopping until I find a product that will meet my requirements.
on January 7, 2006
I logged on and read all the reviews before I bought the product. The negative reviews almost convinced me not to buy it and look for something else. But as of right now, there's nothing really comparable. Some vacuum but don't spray, some spray but don't vacuum. I finally came across a review that spelled it out, most people that purchased this were looking for it to be some type of wet/dry vac to eliminate the need for a wash bucket and to vacuum up the water or solution, keeping the floor dry and clean. Realizing that it is simply a tool to pick up crumbs, dirt and other debris, then it allows you to immediately proceed to "mopping" the floor using the attached spray and absorbing pads. I have had my unit for 2 months now, and have not had any thing break and I have two young kids (3 and 1) that want to help Daddy clean and knock it into a few things. The battery life has not been a problem. I do not leave it on charge every night, I use it daily to clean our 12' x 18' kitchen ceramic tiled floor. I may go a week before needing another charge. My kids like to throw their Cherios on the floor, and sometimes the vac isn't high enough to allow pickup, especially two cherios stuck together. But this is minor as I just tilt the vac back some and continue. As far as additional pads and fluid: I like that I can actually mix any concoction I want to use for cleaning. (although not recommended)As far as the pads, I am a mechanical engineer and I am always looking at ways to improve things, so I mounted some self stick industrial velco on the bottom, and now it can use a variety of type of pads, including the swifter pads. (the local Kmart has all my needed pads though, so it hasn't been a problem.) All in all, I am very pleased with the vacuum, as it allows me to keep the kitchen floor clean, with two young kids that love to test gravity at dinner time. Before, the floor was just neglected for about two weeks because it was such a chore. Try peeling up crushed 2 week old cherios and syrup that have been setting. Now I clean up right before I remove the kids from their chairs.
on May 15, 2005
I wanted to clear the air about this product.

#1 It is not a vac for CARPET!!! The box even says not for carpets. It is a hard floor vac. It does great, vacs up everything!

I have heard that the pads don't work well. I disagree, the pads are the best ever! So thick, so absorbent!

I have a messy husband, messy cats, very messy rabbit and semi-messy ferrets. All the rabbit waste, cat food, clumpy paper fillers get sucked up!

The cleaner scent is clean, but not over powering like other mops.

The vac sucked up some plastic that was more then it could handle and the motor burned out. Luckily there is a year warranty on the product ( fill out those cards ! )

No, it won't suck up everything your family has dropped on the floor. It's not meant too, just things smaller then the nozzle can handle.

And if it falls apart, use your warranty people!

Things fall apart!

Only cons: the filter and pads are not easy to find. But your on here anyway, may as well buy some from Amazon.

Dirt container could be a tad bigger, for less trips to the garbage.
on April 1, 2004
I have two young kids and was thrilled to find a product that would help with the seemingly constant messes around our house...particularly in the kitchen. I especially liked the vacuum; it was pretty lightweight and easy to use. It was very effective at picking up general dirt and cat hair and was great for quick cleanups during the day. I was excited to find a product that I could fill with my own preferred cleaning solution (vinegar & water). Unfortunately, I only got to enjoy using it for a week before the sprayer gave out and I had to return it. I've had this happen within 6 months on the Swiffer Wetjet too, so I've given up on all of the spray mops for now. I decided that since I like the vacuum/dry sweeper combo so much that I'm opting for the plain Dirt Devil Sweeper Vac. I'll just use the Swiffer-type wet cloths with it.
on March 22, 2005
I bought this to use for small cleaning jobs, not expecting it to take the place of a mop and broom. This is great if you use it in between your major cleanings. I have a husband who seems to think he will drop dead if he wipes his feet and a 4 year old. My floor gets messy. I would have to sweep my floor several times a day and mop all the time. With this I can run it over the floor and it takes less than half the time as sweeping does. And I don't have to drag out my mop 2 or more times a week. I can spot mop just the mess. Then I only have to do a entire mopping once a week.

I do have to add, because it was given a bad review for this, This is not for carpet. This is a HARD floor cleaner. This is in no way meant to be used on carpet.
on April 25, 2006
I was shopping for a replacement for my dust buster and happened on this gem.

I have laminate floor in my kitchen and despise daily sweeping and swiffering. I thought this would solve my problem. After the inital wait for it to charge, I tried it out. I vacuumed my kitchen and then put on a pad and filled the tank with the included cleaner. I don't know if it was the cleaner, the pad, or the stable unit, but it cleaned crud off my floor. In the past, I would swiffer with the power one, but it was old enough not to have a scrub pad. I would have to scrape junk off the floor, and then come back and vacuum it again. NO more!!!!

It cleaned really well, and if I missed some crumbs, I just hit the vacuum switch for a quick pick up and then continued on mopping.

My Vac n' Mop came with 2 bottles of cleaner and some pads. I would definitely buy more of these because they work great, but it's nice to know I can put my own cleaner in the tank in a pinch. It also came with a little hand scrubber that also works great. I read the reviews and don't know if it will survive my house and my kids, but for now, I'm so glad not to be sweeping, swiffering, and scaping on a daily basis.

I'm happy with my purchase. If I can keep my son (he's 2) from running down the battery, it will come in very handy. He loves to vacuum and has already tried this out many times. I just plug it in when I'm done and it's ready to go again.
on March 6, 2006
The Dirt Devil Mop-n-Vac fits my needs. I broom sweep the floors before I use the Dirt Devil. The vacuum feature works well under cabinets, close up to molding and behind the toilets. I use the Dirt Devil floor cleaner that came with the unit. It doesn't take much liquid to clean the floors. I should have plenty for some time yet. Once I'm out, I plan to use Pine Sol.

As to the disposable mopping pads, I'm using the Chlorox Ready Mop Absorbent Mopping Pads. Once the floor is dry I switch to a Swifter dry sweeping cloth to get up anthing I missed. Between moppings I use the dry sweeping cloths and the vacuum feature for a quick clean-up. So far so good.
on February 24, 2006
I purchased one of these a number of years ago. It quit one day and I immediately went in search of another. Spent hours going all over town trying to find one to no avail. Went home and checked on line and found the best price at Amazon.com.

This unit is the greatest invention as far as I am concerned. For small cleanups to doing all my floors. I have a lot of tile and hardwood and it does a great job on both. The battery lasts long enough to do all the floors with time to spare. The head swivels so it gets in the tight spots around toilets and under kitchen cupboards. The only draw back and it is a minor one, is that if it even thinks you are about to turn on the spray, the vacuum shuts off. Keep your finger away from the trigger and it is fine. Took me awhile to figure out what the little brush is for. I use it to clean the filter which just dumps into the trash. I bought one of these units for my daughter in law and she is as impressed as I am.

See 1 answered question