5.0 out of 5 stars Strong and compact
I replaced my old handheld cleaner with this Dirt Devil. It is definitely strong and compact. Takes up half the space of my old one. I have been using it for a month and it is also easy to empty. Highly recommend. Hope the charger keeps on working in the same way, my old one would lose power after a few minutes of use.
Published on December 28, 2009 by Frances

2.0 out of 5 stars Will last less than a year before losing capacity
Published on November 6, 2011 by Jonathan Birge

2.0 out of 5 stars Will last less than a year before losing capacity, November 6, 2011
This review is from: Dirt Devil Gator 10.8V Cordless Bagless Handheld Vacuum, BD10100 (Kitchen)
When you first get this, it's great, hence the many glowing reviews. However, after having this for a year, I'm disappointed to say that it's yet another example of cheap disposable junk sold to us by a company that cares more about a quick buck than making quality goods. The problem in this case is the battery, which is clearly a very low quality, low capacity NiCd battery. A charge used to last about 10 minutes, now after about one or two the vacuum quickly loses power, becoming almost useless. It's sad that our economy is becoming increasingly based on us having to rebuy the same shoddy plastic crap because nothing is made to last. I'd rather pay three times as much for a vacuum that would last. But in case anybody from Dirt Devil is listening: this is the last product I buy from you. I'm sick of throwing things in land fills because you guys think consumers are too stupid to know when we're being had.

3.0 out of 5 stars Compact and light, but could be better..., February 26, 2010
Eva (Midwest, USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
The main reason I wanted a cordless handheld was to clean carpeted stairs, but the suction isn't powerful enough to do a good job on this. It works `a little' if you spend a good minute or two on each step, but even the hose attachment tool on my regular upright vacuum cleaner does a MUCH better and faster job. That was a big disappointment for me.

There is no bag, so the dirt/dust collects inside and can be opened to empty out. There's also a filter that can be changed. The dirt collection area is rather small, so it seemed to fill up very quickly and the filter looked clogged after using it just a few times.

On the positive side, it is lightweight and very comfortable to hold. It's cordless so it's easy to use in places like a car or wherever you don't have access to an outlet. The charge seems to last a long time, so you don't have to keep recharging it after every use.

If you want a small, lightweight cordless vacuum cleaner for some light cleaning jobs such as picking up dust around your floor boards, vacuuming out your car or cleaning crumbs off the furniture, this would probably work fine, but are expecting to do stairs or larger cleaning tasks, you'd be better off finding another hand vac with stronger suction power and a larger dirt collection space.

5.0 out of 5 stars Strong and compact, December 28, 2009
Frances (Miami Beach, FL United States) - See all my reviews

3.0 out of 5 stars Just OK, March 9, 2011
Had a Black and Decker 9.6 volt that lasted about 3 years (which seems to be about the average lifespan of the hand-held vacuum). It was MUCH, MUCH better. The Dirt Devil has a smaller filter and doesn't seem to have as much suction (even though it is a 10.8 volt and we clean the filter after each session). Kind of disappointing.

5.0 out of 5 stars great product, March 17, 2011
First off, I just want to say how awesome Amazon was about this order. I ordered this dirt devil yesterday at 5pm and it arrived today at 4:30pm! I couldn't believe when the UPS truck pulled in front of my house! A++ for shipping! I opened the box and examined the vacuum to make sure it wasn't dented or damaged in any way, and it wasn't. I was expecting a dead battery so when I accidentally turned it on, I was surprised! It had enough charge to last for a little over ten minutes of vacuuming until the battery started to die and suction was lost. I was happy that it came with this slight charge, it was enough to test out my new vacuum without having to wait! The suction was great, I found it picked up all the dust, dirt, hair, and cheerios stuck in between the couch cushions with no problems. It also comes with a little gray extension in the front that can help you reach into the little crevices that can be a pain to get to. This came in handy for the couch cushions and also the little space underneath the couch. Overall, I would rate this a great product and I am glad I purchased it, especially for the price when you consider some others cost $50+!

P.S., kudos to the manufacturer that used environmentally friendly cardboard packaging inside the box to hold the vacuum in place instead of Styrofoam!

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific!, February 27, 2010
Great little vacuum, does the job well. Powerful suction - picks up heavy items others can't.

4.0 out of 5 stars Car Cleaning Machine!, April 22, 2011
Being a mom to four young children seems to have more than doubled the amount of cleaning I do on even a daily basis. This is even more so true now that I have a one year old whom puts everything he can find into his mouth. So as you can imagine I spent a lot of time lugging my full size vacuum from room to room even when we had a fairly small bit of questionable filth on the floor. Now we use the Dirt Devil Gator for those smaller, everyday jobs that happen often at my house.

The gator is a compact handheld vacuum that I am thrilled to say is cordless. So I can take it from one place to another and even out to my car without worrying about where to plug it in at. By cleaning the interior of our vehicles with the Dirt Devil gator and a few other helpful items, I have saved $45 a month for the last three months.

This handy tool maybe small in size but it is mighty in power. I am most impressed with the suction power the gator possesses. Take our biggest challenge the stairway in our 100 year old home (not the carpet is about ˝ that age as well). As you can see this is the area that I fail to clean as often as I should and it get nasty to say the least. The first time I used the gator for this job I only made it up about 8 stairs before I had to empty the dirt cup. I was amazed at the amount of stuff that it managed to pickup and even more shocked that as I peered up the remaining steps this was dirt I could not even see with the naked eye.

So I continued the cleaning process not once but twice on the 17 stairs contained in this area. Since this first clean I have been able to make it all the way without stopping to empty the dirt cup until the job was complete. Again I want to stress that the cordless nature of the gator is what saves the day in that area again. No more hunting for an extension cord just to vacuum my stairway.

Another plus for me is the sleek design that is easy to store in any closet or cupboard. It is lightweight; even my six year old can help clean up small messes with the Dirt Devil Gator. These two features along with the grand workability makes it ideal for the older relatives (note we even picked one up for my grandmother for Christmas and yes, she uses it often).
The gator is a bagless design that is super simple to empty. Just pop up the front and dump the contents into the trash. It contains a filter that I personally blow out with air about every 4-5 uses to keep it clean.

There are a few downsides that I found. One being the 24 hour charging time because I tend to use mine a few times every day; so I have to keep mine pulled in whenever it is not in use, though if you did not have continuous use like I do, this would not be a problem for you. The second is that this does not get into tight corners. Example is that even though I love the gator for my stairway, I have to take my hand and brush the dirt out of the very corner. Sometimes I use the bare crevice tool to get into these spaces as well.

Overall the Dirt Devil Gator is a great product that serves it purpose and then some. I would give it a thumbs up simply for being cordless and powerful enough for me to no longer need professional interior care completed on our two vehicles. I personally would buy this product again.

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Good, January 3, 2012
This is a great little vacuum for the pirce. I chose this one rather than the Dirt Devil 15-Volt one because I saw that the 15v was much heavier, but after feeling the power of the suction on this one, I should have gone with the 15-Volt...

2.0 out of 5 stars No charging base!, February 28, 2010
I bought this item to replace an older Dirt Devil that I loved, but won't hold a charge anymore. I would like this one too, but it doesn't have a charging base or mount! That's part of the convenience of a handheld cordless vacuum...you can hang it up on the wall in a closet or out of the way until you're ready to use it. With this model, it would just have to sit somewhere trailing its cord, then you'd have to unplug it each time you want to use it, and plug it back in when you're done. I'm pretty handy, but I couldn't even figure out a way to mount this model on the wall. I returned it the next day. It does a good job as a vacuum, but I only gave it two stars because it's lacking in design. There's no convenient way to store and charge it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor Energy Module, September 17, 2010
The energy module of this Handheld Vacuum is not very good. I charged it for 24 hours before use, according to the instruction. It had a good 5-10 minutes suction, but then it dies out really fast - after a little bit it can't even suck in short pieces of hair when I pick up the hair and put it right in front of the vacuum.

That's not all, I figure if battery is the problem, I can at least plug it in where I am close to an electrical outlet and use it for laptops and tables. However, even after plugging into the wall, it still sucks terribly! This tells me that the Vacuum isn't even getting power directly from the wall, which is terrible. Now I have to charge it for a long time for every 10 minutes of use, making it virtually useless (and, I'll also use it less).

I had a larger Dirt Devil vacuum and that one works pretty well, too bad this one doesn't "suck".

Rate and Discover Movies