5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific Performer and Outstanding Value
Approximately three years ago, my $200 Eureka vac finally stopped working and I purchased the featherlite to replace it. At that time I lived in a 1,400 sf apartment. Now I live in a 2,500 sft home.

For the past three years, this vacuum has served our family well. Pros:

1. Inexpensive. $40 or less in most places.
2. It picks up dirt, fuzz...
Published on May 16, 2009 by GeekDaddy

1.0 out of 5 stars Can suck the chrome off a trailer hitch but breaks
UPDATE After about 5 Months the part of the hose that connects to the motor ( see my pic) has had a piece break off that locks on the little peg; and now the end of the hose has a vertical crack in it where the attachments would connect. My concern all along after assembling this was the durability factor.

I have a rainbow canister that I have decided to retire...
Published on October 6, 2009 by aman4allseasons

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific Performer and Outstanding Value, May 16, 2009
GeekDaddy (New England USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dirt Devil Featherlite Bagged Upright Vacuum, M085590RED (Kitchen)

For the past three years, this vacuum has served our family well. Pros:

1. Inexpensive. $40 or less in most places.
2. It picks up dirt, fuzz (and legos) as well or better than any other vacuum I've ever used. Really. Just change the bag when it gets full.
3. Light weight. It's very easy to manuver and my younger kids can use it.
4. Simplicity. This is a basic vac. It's easy to change the bag, wind the cord, and pull hair/crud out of the roller if necessary.
5. It's got a bag. This is a personal preference, but every bagless upright I've ever used creates a small dust storm when you empty it. The bag system on this one works well.

Cons:
1. I don't expect it to go past 5 years. It's clearly designed for low cost and light weight. However, so far so good.
2. It's pretty loud. Not the loudest I've used but it's not quiet.
3. The hose for attachments is cumbersome to use. My recommendation? Use a small canister vac and/or shop vac instead. Most uprights have on-board tools that don't work well.
4. I have several children, and one in particular that sheds a lot of long hair. All vac will get hair caught in the beater-bar underneath, but this one also seems to get hair caught in the bushings that support the bar. When this happens, the hair builds up in that area creating friction and eventually smelly hair smell. Not a huge problem but slightly annoying.

I intend to buy another one of these when mine gives out. If I have to spend $40 every 4-6 years to own a lightweight, easy to use, vacuum that cleans extremely well then I'm quite ok with that! I see no reason to blow $200-$400 on a large heavy vacuum that MIGHT last a little longer.

4.0 out of 5 stars works fine after a year, December 19, 2008
I was suprised to see that some of the other reviews portray this vacuum as useless. I bought mine from Target a year ago and it works wonderfully. Only complaints is that it's still pretty 'clunky' to carry around and that when you want to use the attachments it's hard to get the hose out. I've gone through a Shark brand vacuum that broke after 2 uses and an Orek XL that ate it's own cord but couldn't pick up Cheerios that my daughter spilled. I've had bad luck with vacuums but this one is doing just fine after 200+ uses.

Feb. 2013: I just upgraded to a Bissel Trilogy Pet but my Dirt Devil still works wonderfully! Do not buy the canister version of this vacuum though! I've never had to replace the belt on it yet and I did replace the hose two months ago because my husband broke it where it attached to the base but it was a cheap fix. I still say this product is worth purchasing.

1.0 out of 5 stars Can suck the chrome off a trailer hitch but breaks, October 6, 2009

I have a rainbow canister that I have decided to retire do the intensive assembly required for its operation. You have to fill the tank with water then place it it's caddy, place the motor on top of tank and then attach the hose from the power head to the motor. Then do the reverse to empty the water from the tank. So I decided to get an upright that you can just plug in and go.

I'm not sold yet on the bag less uprights so I decided to go with the old tried and true one's with a bag. I first looked at the Eureka Upright Vacuum Cleaner 1934A, had an impressive review but no attachments and only a 5 amp motor and a little more than I wanted to spend.

Next I reviewed this Dirt Devil model, but with some trepidation, as I have always had this impression of substandard construction and performance.

I was surprised by all the positive reviews, it had the attachments I wanted as I have these dust bunnies from hell made up of dog hair in places the main motor can't reach; it has a powerful 12 amp motor compared to the 5 amp for the Eureka; so I decided to purchase the dirt devil and hold my breath.

When it arrived I found the instructions simple ( but the pictures in the instructions were to small) but had the impression I was assembling a kids toy at Christmas time. It required only 5 screws for it's assembly. The handle was made out of lightweight hollow plastic and the attachments had a cheap quality to them, but I was resigned to be objective and hold off any judgment until I actually had a chance to use it.

Once started, the motor had a roar just slightly less than that of a Boeing 747 at take off
. It glided over my high-low carpet with ease and even handled this weaved runner in front of my sink area with ease, my Rainbow did not handle that runner very well. It would bounce and jerk and even pulled some of the weaving out; also my Rainbow would, on occasion, spit out these hairballs made of dog hair and carpet fuzz. The Dirt Devil hasn't so far.

In some reviews there has been some complaint of the effort necessary to extract the hose from the motor to use the attachments; this I to noticed. You have to twist and pull it from it's mounting in at the motor. I sprayed so dry silicone lubricant on the exterior of the neck (see my cust pic) and that seem to improve the effort necessary to remove it. Once you do have the attachments I was impressed of the suction it had. This puppy can suck the chrome off a trailer hitch. Another reviewer wrote " it looks cheap and screams cheap" I to agree but for 40 bux I was impressed with its performance overall, that is, if you can ignore it's light weight construction. I my opinion, the promotion of it being light weight is more of a Madison ave. attempt to rationalize it's construction.

If this Dirt Devil holds up for a few years, I'll consider it money well spent. Below are some stats I got off another website that may help with your decision on wither to purchase this model.

I know I have been critical of some features of this vacuum, but it you consider the cost divided by its over all features. Its money well spent

Features:

Upholstery Brush No
Wall Mountable No
Wand Yes

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC!, November 19, 2009
WOW! I really didn't expect so much power from such a light, economically priced vacuum. Boy, I was very suprised. The suction is amazing! I wanted a bagged upright because I fail to understand how a bagless vacuum is kinder to a person with asthma. Everytime I would empty my "bagless, better for me" vacuum I ended up eating half the dust and hairballs that came out of it. I don't know maybe some people enjoy that, not me. Anyway, this vacuum is the best....no munching on dirt for me and coughing my head off anymore when I empty the vacuum. I rate this vacuum 5 stars for it is truly featherlite, powerful and, for me at least, "healthier". Thank you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Much better than my Eureka Altima!, August 28, 2008
Grudz Girl (Omaha, NE USA) - See all my reviews
After reading the terrible reviews, I decided to take a chance. I purchased this vacuum from a discount store. I've had it for about 4 months with absolutely no problems. It has great suction and picks up a lot more than my more expensive (more annoying) Eureka Altima, which has given me problems since the first month! The only minor complaint that I have is that the hose is sometimes difficult to disengage when using the tools. Other than that, I'm happy with it. Good vacuum for someone on a budget.

5.0 out of 5 stars Much Better Featherlite Model, May 18, 2009
Five reasons why this model is a thousand times better than the Dirt Devil 085570 12amp Featherlite Upright Vacuum:

1) Easy to assemble -- less than ten minutes
2) Lightest vacuum I have ever used -- highly recommend to people with back problems
3) Quiet, as far as vacuums go
4) Great suction; everyone at our house has long hair (myself, husband, son, and two dogs)
5) Cord is decent length

I was reluctant to purchase another Dirt Devil, but they really improved the Featherlite, so they must be listening to the consumers after all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this Vacuum, October 14, 2009
D. Yulo (Brookfield, CT) - See all my reviews
I do not agree with any of the negative reviews. At first I was hesitant to buy another Dirt Devil because the last one broke while using on the stairs - the piece that holds it in the upright position snapped, therefore the vacuum can no longer stand up. However, this vacuum is perfect for the stairs. We have many stairs in our home & this is light enough to use on the stairs without straining yourself. Yes, it is noisy, but honestly is there a vacuum that is quiet? This little vac is extremely powerful & has great suction. In closing, I highly recommend this vacuum and the price was right too! If it broke, I would probably get another one. I also purchased the bags at amazon & they are the actual bags that are made for this vac and the price was a good deal. I have used bagless vacs & I can't stand them, because the dirt gets wedged up inside the vac & from time to time you have to take it apart to clean with water in the sink & I find this to be an incovenience. I'd rather change the bag & throw it away.

5.0 out of 5 stars Noisy, but ideal for me., November 27, 2009
I live in an apartment and I bought a new carpet. If you've bought a carpet before you know how much they "shed" in the first few days. The hand sweeper didn't do the job, so I needed a vacuum. I calleed my daughter & she told me how much she loved her dirt devil. So I checked out the reviews & it had one of the best overall ratings so I bought one. Arrived in two days, took me ten minutes or so to read the instructions & to assemble the vac & away we went. It works great - powerful suctions & convenient to use. I like the light and the extra hook on the handle so you can loop your power cord there and avoid running over it allthetime. Only drawback is the noise. It is loud. So I put in earplugs when I vac. An easy 5 stars from this old batchelor. I'm happy! You will be too if you're looking for an inexpensive top quality vac.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a GREAT Vacuum. Owned several years., February 17, 2009
This little cheap vacuum is terrific. I own it in light green. It has incredible suction, in fact it has sucked up things I didn't want it too, curtains, blind cords, etc... It has never gotten clogged. I had a different brand cheap vacuum I ended up throwing in the trash, it clogged up constantly. I can't say enough good things about this. I would prefer the cord was a little longer, that's my only complaint. I would buy this again without a doubt. We have a Kirby my husband got when he was single and the thing is huge, heavy and difficult to use. I bought this one because it is so light and easy to use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best lightweight Vac, January 6, 2009
I am not sure why it has so many negative reviews for this product, but I bought this Vac on sale from local store for less than this price on Amazon more than 6 years ago. There are two models with exactly same spec only slight difference being one with light and one without.

I previously tried one bagless Vac, I thought it is a big mess cleaning the container everytime. I hardly need to change one bag each month which is less than a dollar. I think my time cleaning that Bagless mess is more worth than a dollar. I buy the bag from local store(not the Microfresh) 3 for 2 dollars.

Now the performance.

I tried couple of Vac before this( Bissel, and one Panasonic) both are little more pricier than this.

To my surprise this had more suction those two I tried. It was little louder than Panasonic, but no more louder than Bissel. It is very light,even lighter than panasonic I tried.

Now, I used this one for more than 6 years, only thing I changed few months ago was the belt. It still working but I see that sometimes it is slipping. Over time, lot of hair wound around the brush/beater shaft, that overloaded the belt somewhat. But for 3 buck I got two belts from local store. After replacing those everything back to normal, like new again.

Once I ran over coins which I did not see. It sucked few quarters, and dimes. It made terrible sound, I thought I am done with the Vac, but surprisingly some of the coins came into bag, and one still at the bottom. I was able to get it out after taking the bag and shaking the Vac upside down. It is again as good as new.

This Vac does not have lot of bells and whistles, but it is one of the light weight and most useful Vac I ever used.