on December 3, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I was excited to receive the Dirt Devil Micro Shredr! I needed a good shredder and badly. What I love about this one is that you can easily shred 40 pages without getting a paper jam. And believe me, I tried that out, to make sure. I also had no problems with jams when I shredded credit cards, cds and dvds. It all easily went through. What I also love about the Dirt Devil, is how it shreds. Some shredders you can piece things together and see what is said on the paper, but not this one! It's like little small confetti, that you couldn't put back together, if you tired. If you're looking for a great shredder, this is the one to go with! So far I've tried everything and can't find a downside to it. (But believe me, if I do, I'll be happy to update this review!)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I love, love, love this shredder! It makes shredding so much less of a chore.

You should know that it's BIG. The shredder stands 26" tall, 16" wide and 11.5" deep. It's also heavy, weighing about 46 pounds. Fortunately, it's mounted on 4 swivel casters and the front 2 casters are locking. They move fairly smoothly so it's easy to roll it out of the way when you are done shredding.

The shredding cutters are made of titanium so I expect that they will stay sharp for a long, long time. They are certainly sharp now.

The controls on top are simple - only 3 buttons (which are backlit). Power on, forward and reverse. There is a light which comes on while it is actively shredding and another light to indicate the auto cool down mode. It also powers down after being idle for about 30 seconds.

There is no physical safety lock so if you use this in a home with small children who may decide to "shred like Mommy does", just pull the bin out slightly. There is a shut off feature that will not allow the shredder to operate unless the bin is pushed firmly in place. Also, you have to push the paper down rather deeply into the very narrow slot before it engages the shredder. Even tiny, toddler fingers will not fit into the slot.

It isn't very loud, either. You can't ever really call a shredder quiet, but this one is noticeably quieter than my previous, over-the-trash-bin shredder.

The thing I really love about this shredder is the generous, 7 gallon, pull-out bin. It has a window in the front so that you can gauge when you need to empty but you can shred a ton of stuff before then. That's partly because it cross-cuts the paper into such tiny, tiny pieces that it compacts easily. (It shreds it so finely that I used it to shred colored paper to fill cascarones!) There is a great handle built into the front of the bin so it's easy to empty.

It is rated for 16 sheets at a time shredding, but I have easily shredded more than 20. It also shreds CDs and credit cards like butter and has a special slot for both.

Dirt Devil rated it for 20 minutes of continuous shredding before it automatically shuts off to prevent overheating. I've shredded for much longer sessions, although not continuously, and it has never shut down. Also, I've only had one jam and that was when I fed a large stack of papers carelessly so that they didn't feed in straight. This is really important because jams are a pain with any shredder and some seem to be prone to them. Fortunately, this isn't one of those.

If you only small amounts shred occasionally, this may be overkill. But for a small office or a large household like mine that accumulates large amounts of mail and documents that must be shredded, this may be just what you need.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I can't say enough about this shredder! It is powerful and durable for almost any shredding job that I give it. It was easy to set up and get started, though it is larger and heavier than typical home-office shredders. I love the clear window on the front so we can see when it is full. And as silly as it may sound, I'm like a little kid with gadgets and this is fun to use! If you need more power than a typical home office shredder and are tired of them breaking down from very little use, I would recommend considering this as an upgrade for your office/business.
VINE VOICEon December 3, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This shredder does a great job at shredding the documents. There are a few features that are either missing or flawed in their implementation that keep me from giving it five stars.

PROS:
Shreds into tiny pieces
Large capacity

CONS:
No safety key that can be removed to prevent a child from turning it on
Bottom of canister opens for easy emptying into a trash can. However, it is hard to close the opening when finished.
VINE VOICEon March 23, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
[Good]

Quick: The speed of paper shredding is better than the smaller units that I own.

Heat Indicator: There is a light indicator on the top of the shredder showing how hot the unit currently is. This is useful if you have a lot of stuff to shred and you need to know exactly when you can use the shredder again.

Size: There's plenty of room in the paper bin. You won't be emptying this as often as smaller models.

Paper Bin: Before I got the shredder I thought that you have to pull the main unit out of the bin to empty it out. Thankfully that's not the case. You simply pull open the bin from the side. It's easy and convenient.

Easy to move: It has wheels so you don't have to lift it. While it's easier to move on a hard floor, it's fine on carpet as well.

Anti-Jam Sensor: If the unit senses an impending jam, it stops working immediately unlike other shredders. You simply pull out the paper and just insert the opposite end and it completes the job. So far, I haven't had a hard paper jam that was as hard to remove on competing smaller paper shredding products.

[Bad]

Size: It's large. If you have a small space, this may not be right for you.

For its size, you'd think that you can feed it more paper at a time. Unfortunately you can't feed it more pieces of paper at a time without the unit starting to jam; from personal experience it only accepts the same amount of paper as smaller units. Fortunately, the anti-jammer sensor works well (see above for details).

[Misc]

It's not silent, but it's not as loud as my smaller units either.

[Verdict]

It's strong, fast, and durable. If you have a decent load of papers to shred i.e. you have a small business, this is a great shredder.
on February 27, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Wow...starts off amazing! But there's a reason why its refurbished - the manufacturer screwed up and had to fix their mistakes. It lasted a whole week of occasional shredding. We emptied the bin twice before it started saying "anti-jam" and spitting the paper back out. I carefully removed little shreds of paper from the sides under the cutting tools and it worked again for a half a bin. Removed more paper shreds and it worked for a half a bin. SERIOUSLY!!! Not worth my time! Consumers should not have to keep maintaining this every week.

It did work great and makes the tiniest paper shreds I've seen but at what cost?
VINE VOICEon January 16, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is way more shredder than I probably need on a regular basis, but I'm in decluttering mode and really appreciated the speed and capacity while getting rid of a large box of old paper files!

This shredder is best suited to a small business. It's about the size of a large kitchen trash can but a little shorter and has locking wheels. I admit to have gotten spoiled at work where "shredding" confidential documents means dropping them through the nice wide slot of the locked box that a shredding company comes and picks up every couple weeks. So when I first started tackling a copy paper box full of old files, this shredder seemed a little slow. And then I remembered my previous home shredder that had a measly 3 page capacity and was even slow in grinding through that little amount. In comparison, this one is super speedy! It will take 16 pages at a time and chops through them pretty quickly.

For security purposes, it shreds the paper into very very tiny pieces and when you shred multiple pages together, the pieces curl into each other. I suppose a dedicated spy master could reassemble the shredded material but it would be a massive undertaking -- unless the CIA is going through your recycling, you shouldn't have to worry about anyone being able to read your shredded data.

The 7-gallon bin holds a lot. I shredded enough papers to fill it (there is a light that tells you when it is full -- along with the nice clear bin front so you can see it is full) and emptied it into a large kitchen trash bag, which I put into my recycling bin. The bottom of the bin opens so you can put a trash bag around the bottom and then press the latch release (which takes a good amount of pressure) and all the shredded paper drops down into the trash bag.

There are lights to show when it jams and a reverse button to move the jammed paper up and out. I did jam it a couple times because I put too many pages in, but it was easy to unjam.

Other than my decluttering paper purge, this is more machine than I need for personal use. However, I am planning a home-based business where I will have confidential client materials and this will be perfect for shredding them when my work for the client is done.

The unit is called reconditioned but I would never have known it was not brand new. It looks perfect and works exactly as I would expect a new machine to work.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Of all the shredders I reviewed for Amazon this shredder is in a whole other ballpark. Superpowerful and doesn't get bogged down when doing its suggested sheet capacity. What I mean by that is that most shredders you buy say " 16 sheet capacity" but really when you do this limit they start to get bogged down and have a hard time pushing through that sheet capacity. This shredder Does not have that issue at all. This really is a perfect shredder for a home or small office.

There Is one thing you need to note before buying this, with a price tag of the time of this review at just under $130 it is an expensive shredder. And with that price tag you need to take note that it is a reconditioned unit (reconditioned means that was returned to Dirt Devil by a former customer they repaired it certified that it was good to go and the repackaged it and sold it) so somebody else and use this unit in the past and returned it. One other thing I think is important to note is that this unit only comes with a three month warranty which to me is not that great. Many companies when they offer reconditioned units give a one year warranty just like with new units. I like this a lot better because it tells me the company trusts that the unit that they have reconditioned will work as good as new. It's something to keep in mind because this is an expensive shredder if you're using it for your home.

Aside from those points I do want to stress that this thing is a beast when it comes to shredding paper clips, CDs, credit cards and anything else you throw at it. And finally it has a giant bin so you're not having to empty it out every week.

I gave this unit four stars because of the fact that it's reconditioned and has a three month warranty even with its higher price tag.

I hope this review helps you thanks for reading and have a great day/week/life!
on February 22, 2013
Verified Purchase
when i got it it was broken and didnt even turn on this is the same one that staples has
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I replace the shredder in my home-office about every two years. I ordinarily get a small, home size machine from a standard brand like Fellowes. They are conveniently sized but under-powered and loud. They have all been annoying when I have a lot to shred at one time since they can only be used for a few minutes at a time before having to be shut off to cool-down for 15-20 minutes. It was a continuing nuisance that I accepted. But I shall accept it no longer now that I have become the home of one of these Dirt Devil shredders.

Yes, at just over 47 pounds, this is not a lightweight machine, but neither is the work it does. I have shredded (into VERY tiny little pieces of 1/8 X 2/5") up to 25 pages at a time (it is rated for 16) without stall or problem. It also shreds plastic media (CDs and DVDs) quickly and completely as it does credit cards. At over 25" high, this is not an "under-the-desk" shredder. It requires a 12" X 16" patch of floor space - Next to the desk works out just fine for me.
Importantly, it can run for a constant 20 minutes before requiring an admittedly substantial cool-down time of 80 minutes.
Unlike the smaller machines I have become accustomed to, this Dirt Devil (refurbished) shredder 'hums' rather than 'grinds.' It is a bit difficult to describe with words, but when you hear it you will immediately understand what I am talking about.

The design is both functional and attractive with a highly polished chrome-plated top, a pull-out 7-gallon basket with a manual drop bottom flap for easy emptying and a blue light into the bin that you can see through a clear plastic window to keep track of the contained material without having to pull the bin out. There are separate slots for paper vs. plastic as well as the usual forward and reverse buttons which I have yet to find a need for. Unlike some shredders that begin automatically on the insertion of material, this machine must be powered on (a simple and nicely-lit-in-blue start button) each time it is used.

This machine is sold as "Refurbished" and comes with a comprehensive but time-limited (3 months) warranty. I could not find this machine listed anywhere as a New shredder, but this one looks and runs like it is brand new. After using it daily for several weeks, I can report that it has performed flawlessly. Although it costs about twice what I have been paying for smaller, less powerful and louder shredders, I think it is considerably better than twice as good! This machine is probably more-than-necessary for the occasional home shredder; But, for those who have larger and regular amounts to shred - and to shred in such a way that complete security is assured, I can heartily recommend this Dirt Devil ND-MC16ARM.