5.0 out of 5 stars I agree with every review, FANTASTIC product!!!
Published on May 14, 2010 by Crystal

3.0 out of 5 stars Flawed, but a worthy purchase
Published on January 23, 2011 by Shauna G

5.0 out of 5 stars I agree with every review, FANTASTIC product!!!, May 14, 2010
This review is from: Dirt Devil Scorpion Quick Flip Corded Bagless Handheld Vacuum, SD20005RED (Kitchen)
This is the most powerful little vacuum I've ever had, The most ingenious invention is the little retractable crevice tool. In my whole life I've never attached a crevice tool even when I needed it just out of laziness. This just sucks up dust immediately in between anything. It doesn't hold alot of dust so after each use I just take an old dish/pot brush and brush off the filter.The dust sticks to the cloth filter and will not come off just by tapping it along side your garbage pail like the instructions say. Takes a minute and is well worth it as this is more powerful than my canister vacuum. I started to use it on a small area of my living room rug where lint always sticks at the entrance and ended up doing the whole rug and went on to other rooms. You'll love this powerful little sucker and end up writing a great review like I just did!

5.0 out of 5 stars Greatest Little Vac, April 4, 2010
Bbt (Charlotte, N.C. United States) - See all my reviews
This product is superior by design. I am not a real fan of some of the Dirt Devil products but they really got this one down pat. The vacuum is superior to any other that I have ever had in this category. The nose in the front that flips down gets into all those tuff places in your car seats. The filter is easy to clean and there are replacements available. I do like the very long cord that comes with this vac. Some others have a little cord that really is a sorry way to do things. The attachments work well for different applications. A great little vacuum is all I can say!

3.0 out of 5 stars Flawed, but a worthy purchase, January 23, 2011
Shauna G (Here, There, and Everywhere) - See all my reviews
I've owned this handy little vacuum for a little more than a year now. While convenient for quick jobs, it isn't perfect either. However, at this price, I'm glad I bought it. I haven't had to use all of the attachments, I usually just stick with the basic vacuum, and rarely add the hose. I don't use it as often as my regular upright vacuum, a Dyson, but for quick jobs, it's much more convenient to bring out the Dirt Devil.

Pros:
-Power cord long enough for indoor jobs
-easy to empty the cup that holds the dirt
-the crevice tool is very useful, especially for furniture
-the crevice tool folds out and clicks right into the vacuum, which I love

Cons
-ridiculously loud!
-there is no convenient way to wrap the cord without it coming unraveled
-it would be nice if the vacuum fit into the accessory bag; it's just barely too big for it
-cannot be used for extended periods, or else a burnt smell will permeate throughout the room

5.0 out of 5 stars Best handheld vac by far, June 27, 2012
This is, by far, the best handheld vac I have ever purchased and used. For the past 15 years, I have been purchasing cordless handheld vacs and every year or two I have to purchase a new one because the battery doesn't hold but a 30 second charge. I was tired of spending $30 - $200 every year or two for a new vacuum that I knew would only last a year or so. I was also very disappointed in every cordless vacuums' suction power (I have had everything from the Black & Decker CHV9610 Dustbuster 9.6-Volt Cordless Hand Vac to the Dyson DC31 Handheld Vacuum Cleaner) I finally decided to try a corded handheld vacuum and I can't believe I waited this long!!!

I will start by saying that my primary use for this vacuum is for small to medium tasks. I live in an apartment so I don't have a ton of square footage to cover. I use an upright Dirt Devil vacuum for the wooden floors. I use the handheld vacuum for the corners on the floor, under the couch and couch covers, any closet spaces, computer areas, small rugs, bathrooms, ceiling fans and even our outdoor patio. I use the Dirt Devil SD20005RED Scorpion Quick Flip 7 AMP Hand Vac - RED about twice a week and for about 15 - 20 minutes at a time (not continuous running).

Pros:
Suction - this vacuum has the strongest continuous suction of any other handheld I have tried. Keep in mind I use the word "continuous". This is because there is no loss of suction while plugged in. Cordless vacuums suffer from both initial suction power and then loss of suction the more you use it before charging again. This is exactly like a flashlight. When you first put in the batteries, the flashlight is rich and bright but hours later it will be dull and dim. The Dirt Devil SD20005RED Scorpion Quick Flip 7 AMP Hand Vac - RED does not lose any suction over time and is very strong!!
Versatility - the scorpion quick flip feature on this vacuum is just great. You can quickly and effortlessly flip out this tool (attached to the top front of the vacuum) and the vacuum is now able to reach very tight spots. This feature is great because you do not need to keep track of a detachable piece. There is also a hose attachment with a broad head attachment to that. These are separate but very useful as well. Finally, there is an included strap that you can attach to sling the vacuum over your shoulder. I have yet to use the strap as this vacuum is very light and I don't find it necessary.
Weight - I personally find the weight a non-issue and, quite frankly, very light for what it is. I did not feel any fatigue using the vacuum for extended periods of time.
The Cord - The cord is very long and I was able to reach anywhere comfortably.

Cons:
The only con I can see (for some people) for now is that the compartment that holds/traps the dust and debris is very small and you will need to clean it several times while using it. This was hardly an inconvenience for me as I like to clean the filter many times to avoid any particles escaping back into the air (I am severely allergic to dust). The filter, as well, seems like you will need to replace it eventually. This, again, is not an inconvenience for me as the filters are very cheap and there are many customers who say you can simply wash these filters to obtain years of reuse.

Other thoughts:
Many reviews mentioned the over heating of the vacuum. This is slightly true. If you were to let the vacuum run continuous for 15 minutes it will get hot. This, however, is NOT the intended use of the vacuum. If it begins to get a little warm for your touch, simply turn it off and wait 30 seconds. I have not found this to be an issue at all and have had it running for nearly ten minutes without any issue. Purchasers of this item should have common sense to know that this is NOT a standard vacuum. This is a handheld vacuum and should be used as such.

For the price vs what you get, I would STRONGLY recommend the Dirt Devil SD20005RED Scorpion Quick Flip 7 AMP Hand Vac - RED

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm amazed at how well this works!, April 13, 2010
Miss Linda (SF East Bay, CA) - See all my reviews
I got myself a Dirt Devil KURVE off [...] about a year or so ago and never quite liked it. Sure it picked up some dust and crumbs, but always felt like it didn't have enough juice.

Not being one to care whether or not it was cordless or corded, I got fed up and decided to check Amazon for a better vaccuum. After reading the reviews for this model (most are found on the older Scorpion model, but its the same machine overall), I decided to bite the bullet and get it - I mean for the price, you can't go wrong.

Got it today, opened it up and plugged it in - used the handy extension and OMG. OMG. What suction for such a tiny little vaccuum. It started picking up things several inches away from the nozzle.

Now me, I'm messy when I eat at my desk. I also smoke cigarettes so ash gets everywhere and crumbs get all in the keyboard, etc.. A few swipes with this baby and there wasn't a crumb or ash in sight. Decided to go nuts and walk around my entire apartment sucking up the dust and dirt in little corners. This is a miracle machine! Since I have no carpeting, its much better than spending the money on a whole big ol' floor vaccuum. Buy the Scorpion, you won't regret it!

3.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, but..., April 25, 2012
The good:
--Powerful. It picks up loose coins, dust, whatever.
--Agile. With the hose attached, I was able to reach far corners underneath drawers (after removing the drawers) and get at dirt that had been untouched for years.
--Gets into corners very well, especially with the hose attachment. Flip nozzle is OK, but seems to be less effective.
--Nice, long cord.

The bad:
--Heavy. Use the hose whenever you can; otherwise you'll find the vac itself very unwieldy just due to the weight.
--Blast of air comes from the side. Be careful not to let this point at any dust/dirt accumulation, or you'll fill the room with dust/dirt. In fairness, it's hard to see any better way for them to vent the air.
--Many users have reported overheating. I could tell that this might be a problem if you're using it for a long time. But in fairness, this device is designed for specialized jobs and limited areas, not for doing your entire living room floor.
--Filter setup is very poorly designed. Filter paper is flimsy and when you open the dust cup, you'll find the filter has been converted into a huge dust ball. No way can you remove all this gunk by simply tapping the filter against something, as the instructions suggest. One suspects that the big profit center for this device is the sale of filter papers. They could have put in an inexpensive plastic or wire screen over the filter, so that all the gunk wouldn't form a large, packed dirt ball on the filter itself. But if they did that, they wouldn't sell as many filters.

RECOMMENDATION: when you empty the dust cup, take the entire device into the bathroom to limit possible scattering. Have a wastebasket handy, and a soft whisk broom. Also a dry paper towel. Sit down. Remove the filter over the wastebasket. Use the brush to remove the majority of the gunk (dust bunnies, bits of dirt, whatever) sticking to the filter. Finish the removal with the paper towel.

Other:
--As many users have noted, it's noisy. But I've had uprights that were a lot louder. Remember, you're very close to it.
--Haven't used the other attachments, just the hose. Be sure you put it in the right way (it's shaped to fit properly only one way) and push it all the way in.
--For actual operation, it's probably worth 4 stars or even 4.5 stars. But the filter setup is very poor, so overall I give it a 3-star rating. I probably won't send it back, but I would recommend looking at alternatives.

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME!!, October 24, 2010
This product is GREAT!! The cord (yes, it's not shown, but it has a cord) may seem like something that's a hassle, but since it's so long, and it's a handheld vacuum (unlike the real big ones where you have to worry about running over the cord and having the it eaten), it isn't. Plus, if that isn't good enough, trust me, the power in this baby more than makes up for it.

I was very surprised this little thing could pack as much suction power as a big vacuum, but it does. It's small and very versatile, so it's easy to clean big areas (I use it for my whole room and floor, since I don't like lugging up the big vacuum up the stairs) and small areas (such as those nooks and crannies in your car, corners, behind dresser--and closet--one of the best).

Also, I did not know this till a couple days later when I was storing the box, but it comes with ATTACHMENTS!! That's right, attachments for this $24 vacuum. It came with a long (bout 3 feet) hose, another (bout 1 foot) hose with a thin slant that gets into corners well, and a brush hose for pet hair! And yes, pet lovers, this is the answer to your pet's shedding (at least for my cat, but he sheds like a dog, so you'll be fine). This also works great on furnitures, like beds and couches. And that little clear stripe on the top? That's an attachment. You press the release button and it flips down. It turns the opening to about a 1-2 inch square, which is really awesome when cleaning super small/tight spaces, such as cup holders.

Plus, between you and me, you can actually kinda iron your clothes with this. Pin your clothes down (the stiffer kind of fabric is better, such as work clothes) or make sure the article is secure on a hanger (you'll have to hold the other end straight). Turn on the vacuum and use it as you would spray paint--in stripes, starting from the ground/table, over the fabric, and ending at the other side of the ground/table (this prevents bunching). It won't make your clothes stiff, but it will get rid of any pet hair and straighten out you outfit. You can also do this while wearing your outfit, as long as you can keep your clothes straight while you vacuum.

Overall, this is one of the best buys I have ever made and the price is fantastic!

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this!, April 24, 2010
I actually own two of these hand vacs and use them frequently. Make sure you order the filters because the vac works best with a clean filter. Powerful and easy to use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Small but powerful, March 2, 2011
Simon (Magnolia, TX) - See all my reviews
This hand vac is compact yet very powerful; certainly more powerful than any rechargeable hand vac I have come across. The plastic casing is sturdy and the unit generally feels well put together. The flip-into-position extender nozzle which is built into the unit is a very clever idea which saves carrying the tools around with you. It does have an attachable shoulder strap which is especially convenient when using the hose attachment however. Based on my experience so far I certainly second the positive reviews given to this product on Amazon.com.

4.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly satisfied, mostly impressed, February 18, 2011
Pros:
1. Great suction for its size
2. Crevice tool very useful
3. Smaller than I expected, barely more than a foot long, light
4. Easy to clean filter (don't bother buying more, just get your hands dirty for a bit)
5. Comes with optional hose and brush
6. Long sturdy cord with the clip on the plug so you can easily wrap it around the vacuum for storage
7. Corded so you never have to worry about a dwindling battery life.
8. Optional shoulder strap

Cons:
1. Very loud, you may be startled on your first run
2. Stinks! The burned machine smell everyone mentions comes out right away. Because of this, don't run it for too long. There's probably a heat issue associated with this as well.
3. Air is blown out through two fins on the sides. It blows directly behind it so aim wisely if you don't want particles flying around (ie. aim down in general so it blows upward and it shouldn't be an issue).

Comments:
Overall worth every penny (29.99 at my time of purchase, oh my god it's only 24.64 at time of this review 2/18/11!)
This gets the job done really fast and its size makes it perfect for cars.
You will find many uses for the crevice tool so when you do post about it!.

Most useful thing I came up with so far is for shoes! Sucks up lint, hair, pet fur, as well as sand and rocks for you active people running alot.

Finally, the default suction is just a big hole with plastic housing. There's no brush or rubber so if you are vacuuming on hard floors don't let the vacuum make contact with the floor if you plan to glide it, it will definitely scrape it very quickly. Otherwise glide all you want on carpet.

In conclusion, great when it works. Even if it does break on you, I'm sure you'll remember how useful it was before it does. Don't abuse it and you will love it.