5.0 out of 5 stars Super hand-held vac
Published on June 22, 2008 by J. Allen

3.0 out of 5 stars Very nice except for the HEPA filtration
I bought this vac after reading all the reviews I could find on it.. they all sounded very positive. One big reason for buying this model was that it has a HEPA filter, which is very important to us since we live in the dusty desert and have to deal with allergies as well.

Published on February 27, 2009 by Alias

3.0 out of 5 stars Very nice except for the HEPA filtration, February 27, 2009
This review is from: DirtTamer® Ultima V2510 Cordless Wet/Dry Hand Vac (Misc.)

The basic vac is pretty darn nice... it has a nice comfortable, balanced feel and pretty good suction. It has not run the battery down any time I have used it so far... seems pretty strong.

I immediately noticed two problems with the basic unit though, and did some 'engineering changes' to improve it:

(1) The on-off switch was almost impossible to operate using just one hand. It is a smooth, dished button that you have to slide with the thumb of the hand holding the handle. Good idea, except that it was so smooth that my thumg couldn't get a grip on it, especially to turn it off, so I would use my other hand to work the switch. I cured that problem by 'dimpling' the button with dots of super-glue, then using super-glue to make a strong ridge across the middle (side-to-side) that my thumb could get in front or back of to turn it on and off.

(2) The 'headlight' shines back into your eyes making it hard to see what you are doing in dark areas. I solved that one by putting a small piece of aluminum duct tape across the top part of the lens. It not only keeps the light out of your eyes but also reflects more light toward the area you want to see... works much better.

The one problem I have yet to solve involves the HEPA filter. You remove the foam filter that comes installed in the vac, then install the HEPA filter in its place. Problem is, HEPA filters are usually used as a FINAL filter, after the air has passed through the normal filters. Also, the HEPA filter for this vac is pretty darn small in area. Using it as the main filter as they do with this vac, it plugs up almost immediately since it has to catch ALL the dust-type of contamination coming through the vac (the larger debris is caught in the large basket-type prefilter that you remove to empty). I have to clean the HEPA filter after just a few minutes of operation or the suction really decreases... very inconvenient! I have temporarily installed the original foam filter in front of the HEPA filter to see if that helps. Trouble is, they didn't design it to work that way and there is really not very much room for the foam filter. I have not used it enough to know if this is going to solve the problem. If not, guess it's time to try the Dyson DC16 hand vac and sell this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super hand-held vac, June 22, 2008
This review is from: DirtTamer® Ultima V2510 Cordless Wet/Dry Hand Vac (Misc.)
DirtTamer Ultima 14.4V...V2510 Model. While looking for a replacement filter after using our vac for 3 years, I was surprised to see the poor reviews. Perhaps they were not the Ultima model. This has been an excellent vac for quick vaccuuming of bathroom and kitchen floors and especially our carpeted stairs. Compared to our previous Black and Decker DustBuster hand-held vacs, this is a dream. I am able to run it for a good 10 minutes without losing power. I have not tried it on wet surfaces. When this one goes, I will definitely purchase another.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very satisfied customer, October 30, 2008
L. Tesler (Menlo Park, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: DirtTamer® Ultima V2510 Cordless Wet/Dry Hand Vac (Misc.)
I've had two of the older V2210 model for at least six years, one in the house and one in the garage. I think both are still going on the original batteries. Unlike some cheaper rechargeable vacs, you can, and should, leave it on the powered charging base when the vac is not in use. Unlike those others, it will always be charged when you need to use it.

I find it more powerful than DustBuster and it stays powerful for several minutes.

Although the charging base can be mounted either horizontally or vertically, it is important to secure the base so it doesn't slide when you dock the unit. If you try to dock it and the loose base slides away, the charging pads may not make good contact.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thumbs up for this one, November 15, 2008
This review is from: DirtTamer® Ultima V2510 Cordless Wet/Dry Hand Vac (Misc.)
I used to run a professional cleaning company and am very picky about the products I use. I've had plenty of hand held vacuum cleaners over the years, and this little machine has been the exclusive one I use now (though mine says "Nexxtech" on it, perhaps because it was purchased at a Canadian Tire Store several years ago - they no longer carry it). Hands-down the best and most powerful cordless I have ever had, excellent around all areas of the house & workshop. It is well worth the price; I am going to buy another one!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, October 24, 2008
This review is from: DirtTamer® Ultima V2510 Cordless Wet/Dry Hand Vac (Misc.)
This is the best rechargeable hand vac I have ever used. I have one on each floor of my home and in the garage. Great for a family of five and the best for quickly picking up spilt cereal off the floor. Strong motor last long enough to vac out my car.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Hand Vac!, April 25, 2009
This review is from: DirtTamer® Ultima V2510 Cordless Wet/Dry Hand Vac (Misc.)
I have owned the Ultima v2510 for at least 4 years. I have consistently used it at least once a week during that period. It is a very powerful hand vac, MUCH more powerful than my previous B&D Dustbuster. It is a bit on the loud side, but that's the price for good suction. About a year ago, I noticed that it began to die much more quickly than it used to. But I've solved this problem. Every few months, I let the unit completely discharge and then fully charge it again before use. This has given the unit new life, it is as powerful as ever. The batteries are NiCad and that is typical care for this type of battery--they must be occasionally fully discharged for longer useful life. There are replacement batteries available from Filterstream (go to their website, you'll see), but you should be able to get several years out of the original batteries, as I have. If you think the battery is not charging, take a multimeter, set it to "VDC" and measure the voltage at the charger contacts. It should read 25V or so. If it is lower, then it may not be properly charging the battery. Anyway, I highly recommend this product, it is a portable hand vacuum that exceeds expectations and is fully worth the cost over its cheap competitors.

4.0 out of 5 stars Overall I'm pretty happy, December 2, 2009
This review is from: DirtTamer® Ultima V2510 Cordless Wet/Dry Hand Vac (Misc.)
I received the DirtTamer with very high expectations due to the glowing reviews and the price being a little more than many of the others. The DT does a pretty good job while the battery lasts but that isn't a long time. From reading reviews of other battery hand vacs this seems to be about average. It will give me 10 to 20 mins (20 being the max if that) of vac time. The suction is good but can decrease pretty quickly as you vaccuum up dust bunnies, cat hair, etc. I will say that cleaning the DT is relatively easy. It takes me all of about 2 minutes to clean.

All in all I'm pretty happy with the DT but not blown away due to the price compared to others. It does the job I need it to do and cleaning isn't a pain so I can look past my other minor complaints. I guess I'll have to get a corded hand held if I want more out of a hand vac than this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Long review, but very informative - PLEASE READ!, February 24, 2011
This review is from: DirtTamer® Ultima V2510 Cordless Wet/Dry Hand Vac (Misc.)
I've used this or previous Filter Stream models for over 15 years. It has GREAT suction - picks up even the smallest dirt particles as well as larger pebbles, is easy to clean, works well on wet pick up, even on carpet & the tools are handy. Of course, we all wish the batteries would last longer, but has been satisfactory. I've raised 3 kids, 2 cats & a dog with a Filter Stream vac, using it virtually every day, so I really have good basis to recommend it. Have even given them as gifts (housewarming, wedding & baby shower). That said... I must say that I am currently quite disillusioned on this one point: When my battery died recently, I couldn't find a replacement online (which I have done before). When I called Filter Stream, they said they are no longer selling replacement batteries; rather I would need to buy a whole new vac. The reason: a safety concern with customers installing the battery incorrectly. The story: the company decided to stop letting customers replace their own batteries because they'd had a lawsuit due to a small fire, and they couldn't afford the liablity. So I told him I wanted to talk to someone in management, who would actually listen, to let them know this was ridiculous. I got a call back the next day from the co-owner of the company! Ok, I will say that's a first - typically, I never even get a return email! So we discussed the situation for quite some time - he was extremely receptive to my comments & explained the situation - basically they are in a big pickle over one lawsuit(and they are not even sure what actually caused the fire), causing their liabilty insurance to go sky high, so for legal reasons, had to take this stand. Without ranting on about our law-suit happy society, this is certainly a case of one bad apple ruining it for all of us! Anyway, I explained my view about how bad it was to be so wasteful, financially AND environmentally, by disposing of a perfectly good vac unit for want of a replacement battery, and he totally agreed. He said they are considering ways to re-design it to make the battery replacement easier and hopefullly fool-proof, but it may be too expensive. Admittedly, it could have been a better, more user-friendly design in the first place. My conclusion: I will go ahead and purchase a new vac this time because: A) it IS the best one out there, especially at that mid-level price range, and B) I want to support the company in their attempt to make this improvement. However, if they don't, when the time comes, I wouldn't buy a new vac that does not have a replacable battery.

1.0 out of 5 stars battery is short lived and no rpelacement available, March 29, 2009
This review is from: DirtTamer® Ultima V2510 Cordless Wet/Dry Hand Vac (Misc.)
This vacuum worked great for about 10 months, now when you turn it on, it works for about 90 seconds and is dead. Unit will not hold a charge and a repacement battery is impossible to find. Would not recommend. unit is an expensive disposable unit. I would look for unit that can be serviced and have a warranty that means something.

4.0 out of 5 stars Meets Intended Need, October 24, 2012
Larry C. (Pasadena, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: DirtTamer® Ultima V2510 Cordless Wet/Dry Hand Vac (Misc.)
The intended purpose for this hand-vac was for daily touchup in my vehicles. It does an excellent job, the attachments are "spot-on", especially the upolstery brush on the A/C vents. The nozzle will fit into most auto cup holders....a quick twist of the wrist and presto! all the little particles that live in the bottom are sucked right up.

The other reviews here are reasonably accurate, most of the negatives (short batt. life, headlight too bright, too noisy)are of no consequence to me as an individual user. The unit runs plenty long enough at full power to brisk through the floors and seats of an average 4 door sedan.

The comments about the lack of a "positive snap" when placing into the charger do have some merit. However I keep mine flat on a shelf, so it hasn't been that big a deal.

I have owned 2 dirt devil/dust buster units in the past, both were a waste of money. One of them I often found myself picking up the dirt with my fingers and putting it into the nozzle. This unit has surprisingly strong suction. I still take my cars down to the big vac at the quarter carwash occasionally, but this unit keeps them spiffy on the inside for a long time.

Rate and Discover Movies