Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback SnS

on August 29, 2011
I am German, (and moreover 40+). As we Germans take everything very serious, here is my philological review of this important book:

Being a German (did I mention that already?) I can recommend this book without concerns to Germans to learn "Dirty (American at least) English" - seriously !
The other way round it is more tricky. You will learn much about German language without doubt, but many of the used phrases are not 100% correct or not really common or are out of a certain joke and what is meant, could be understood only, if the person knows that joke or you tell him/here the joke before..

Some examples:

"Schnitzelkind" cannot be commonly understood, you need to know the mentioned joke/explanation before.

Of course many words and phrases fit well, and are commonly known, for example "Grufti", "dicke Freunde", "quatschen", "Das ist g#il."

"K#ckvogel" can be good understood as an insult but is not a common word, it's more a word creation.

"Eiweisstorsten" for a man having muscles, is difficult to understand and not at all a common word.

"Tussistempel" for a common tattoo which girls are used to have at the back at a certain place, is a wrong word nearly nobody would understand- "#rschgeweih" is the correct one for that.

"Hol mir mal ne Flasche Bier" is not a question, but an order.

"srz" as a German phrase used in a chat as a replacement for the English "sry" (sorry), was new to me. It may be a good joke in the hacker community knowing details about German keyboards, but it is surely not commonly understood. I laughed after understanding it (after 12 minutes and 8 s or so), but others may not get it at all... ;-)

And so on...

The author is far from native tongue (as my English here, srz for that).

At the best pages, there is even cultural critizism in place ("We have been having ##x for weeks now, don't you think we should use 'Du' ").

So, you learn much about German, but if you want to use one of the phrases, I recommend asking a native German speaker before. Or at least google the word.

But, maybe, if you want to get in contact with a German girl, it is more "charming" ('Ist der süüüß!') to talk slightly broken German ? Dunno. Then this book is perfect. But don't ask her, if her t#ts were a birthday present. That advice from my side... ;-)
on June 8, 2010
I have lived in Germany for 10 years and speak German fluently. This book is full of obsolete terms and badly translated expressions. Profanity and slang are very culturally specific and difficult to translate in any language. English profanity is centered around feces, procreation, and genitalia whereas German is less so. The authors seem to be unfamiliar with German idioms and are trying to make a quick buck translating English street talk literally. My German friends had not heard many of these expressions before. This book might be fine as a joke gift, but don't use
it to try and fit in or sound hip in Germany. I would like to have had a German urban dictionary that catalogs and defines current slang.

Ey Alder, isch habe schon 10 Jahre Deutschland auf den Buckel, boh glaubst Du! Diese Buch ist voll krass der Brueller und als ich in Berlin damit die Ischen klar machen wollte, war isch der Burner des Abends. Willste gangstamaessig cool rueberkommen in Germany, dann hol Dir den Schinken.
88 comments|101 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 20, 2011
This book is fine if you buy it as a joke, but otherwise useless. A German friend read through it and spent half of the time laughing hysterically at absurd phrases that no one would ever use, and the rest of the time *actually* cursing at the book in German because it contained so much utter nonsense. Anyone asserting that this book will help you sound like a real German is mistaken. If you can tell the difference between the few phrases that a German might actually use and the many that are complete horse***, then you don't need this book anyway. If you can't tell the difference, then reading it will do you more harm than good.
on May 31, 2011
I am an American expat living in Germany for the past 15 years. For the past 10 years, I have been married to a German woman with a rather sharp tongue. Personally, I speak German at an intermediate level. I found this book terrifically useful, accurate, and at times HILARIOUSLY FUNNY. I was happy to see that the American author does not make fun OF the Germans, rather he has fun WITH the Germans, their way of life, and the colloquial language that is spoken. His descriptions of phrases and situations are written in a vein of usually admiration, stark humor, and simply "this is just the way it is". I also liked the frequent comparisons of German phrases and ways of describing things vs. what we use in American english--this was tremendously helpful. There are many words and phrases that I have heard over the years from my sharp-tongued wife, German friends, and neighbors that finally now make more sense!

I strongly recommend this book for Americans that have already been, or are now being, exposed to the everyday world of German society.
on May 3, 2014
First off, let me say this book is very dirty in language...Something I don't recommend to minors, unless you are the type to allow them to learn such words and teach them to use them in the right situation.

It covers basic informal and colloquial speech and progresses into dirty language such as "fighting words" (words that are prelude to fisticuffs), sexual terms (such as body parts, acts and paraphernalia) and even just plain insults for the sake of mean.

If you make a close-enough friend in Germany, be prepared to understand the double-entendre-loaded slang that comes with such closeness.

I recommend this to any linguist with a penchant for vulgarity and those who want to be aware when visiting Germany.

Besides, my uncle, who learns German, could do with a refresher course since the Berlin Wall fell.
on January 31, 2013
This book gave my daughter some great helps with slang and
every day chatter with her German friends, but some of it
was not the language we would choose to speak even in
English, and definantly would not speak to another in
German. Enough said about that. She has enjoyed
entertaining her friends, they laugh at her midwestern
accent.
on October 31, 2014
This book goes beyond the dirty words. The phrases used in casual conversation are very helpful to learn. The language learning tools out there focus mainly on the very basics of the language. You learn how to order a meal, say please and thank you, etc. But if you want to know how to talk in "real life", like to strangers on the train, or while having a glass of wine, this book is much more helpful than the formal training I have used!
on June 11, 2015
This book is hilarious! My boyfriend has been trying to learn German for a few months, but none of his books or MP3s taught him "dirty" words in German! This book has a huge assortment of them - swear words, words with sexual connotations, and so on. It also provides examples of how to use the words in speech along with a pronunciation guide, which is very helpful as well.
on December 12, 2012
I bought this book because I am studying German and needed a break from my text books. This book has some useful phrases along with some funny but gross phrases. If anything you will get a good laughter out of it.
on April 21, 2013
I also own the Russian version, which was written apparently by someone who's spent a lot of time in St. Petersburg. This by contrast appears to have been ported over from that original book, given some of the same phrases and advice. Germans are not at all as confrontational as Russians in my experience, and so you may find yourself looking for a different book for slang then this one.

It has good things in it, but there are probably better products.