5.0 out of 5 stars Choe Comes Clean
I should mention I'm a fan of his work and of his web series "Thumbs Up", and that I came into this movie knowing what to expect...

Published on March 4, 2012 by SOJJ

2.0 out of 5 stars leaves a lot to be desired
Published on February 23, 2012 by Reviewer S.

5.0 out of 5 stars Choe Comes Clean, March 4, 2012
SOJJ (LA CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dirty Hands: The Art And Crimes Of David Choe DVD (DVD)

Dirty Hands starts with Choe speaking while tribal women flex their bare ass cheeks behind him. It gives you a good cue that anything could happen at any moment, and it pretty much does. He's charming despite himself and his adventures, while sometimes not especially well-advised, always manage to come off pure hearted, even at their most self-destructive.

I watched it with a big party of people who knew nothing about the artist. Everyone had a great time. Lots of laughs throughout the show, and sometimes just mouth-agape surprise at what he says and does. It was touching when it needed to be, brutally honest in it's depiction of his ups and downs, gifts and faults, and it never left us bored. It was filmed over a decade by his friend Harry Kim, and an occasional fill-in crew. It was awesome to finally see it in it's full form.

It's about him, but it's also about artists, their sometimes inability to live life within the structure of society, and the dichotomy of their search for a place within that society.

Worth mentioning that the extras are great. Check out the trailer on YouTube if you aren't sold on it. I bought this thing at full-price (something I never do) and there's no regrets.

2.0 out of 5 stars leaves a lot to be desired, February 23, 2012
This review is from: Dirty Hands: The Art And Crimes Of David Choe DVD (DVD)
After seeing Mr. Choe on the Howard Stern show lately, I decided to check out this movie. Simply put this is 90 minutes of pointless wandering, poor production, poor camera work, poor editing, and poor sound. It's just uninteresting and hard to watch, rambles, dwells on uninteresting scenes, and is confusing. This isn't a reflection on Mr. Choe's art or his story, it is just that the makers of this film missed the mark in most regards. I learned more about David in Sterns 40 minute interview than I did in this 90 minute movie.

Rate and Discover Movies