5.0 out of 5 stars One cannot reasonably ask for more
While the titles of J. A. Konrath's series featuring Lieutenant Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels are all named after drinks --- WHISKEY SOUR, BLOODY MARY, RUSTY NAIL and the recently-released DIRTY MARTINI --- these aren't lighthearted stories about wasting away in Margaritaville. The novels are set in Chicago, and the crimes and its perpetrators are dark indeed...
Published on January 24, 2008 by Bookreporter

1.0 out of 5 stars Hyperion should be ashamed
I am reading this book on a Kindle. There are errors on almost every second page. (I originally thought that the book was self-published by someone illiterate.) Examples:
. . . all with r receivers.
. . .the steps in front of the Ar. Institute
. . . in this hemi sphere?
I threw on one o. Latham's. . .
between a coffee ma chine and
I could tr...
Published on February 21, 2013 by readalot

5.0 out of 5 stars One cannot reasonably ask for more, January 24, 2008
Bookreporter (New York, New York) - See all my reviews

DIRTY MARTINI had me on the edge of my seat --- not once, but twice. I won't go into too much detail, but the first time was when Daniels was in a house and the second time was when she was in a truck. Upon completion of the book, I thought I was going to require cardioversion to get my heart working properly again.

Between those two scenes, however, is one heck of a story, expertly plotted and wonderfully told. Konrath starts off by introducing The Chemist, a twisted genius who plans to take revenge on the City of Chicago by poisoning its food supply. Quite honestly, the author's step-by-step description of what The Chemist does, and how he does it, is enough to make me, a city boy through and through, get a complete library of The Mother Earth News, move to the country and become entirely self-sufficient. That is even before you get to the aforementioned "house" and "truck."

Meanwhile, Daniels's boyfriend has proposed, but she is afraid to say "yes," even though she wants to. She then discovers that her long-deceased father isn't dead at all. Those are relatively minor problems, however, compared to what The Chemist has planned, which is to hold Chicago for ransom. How do you catch somebody who is a master of disguise, two steps ahead of you and capable of murder performed in unexpected ways? Maybe you don't. Perhaps this is the last book in the series. You'll have to read to find out.

Mystery, action, suspense and, perhaps, redemption. Oh, and a bit of very well-written erotica as well. All this is to be had in DIRTY MARTINI. One cannot reasonably ask for more, or for better, than Konrath and Daniels straight up.

One more thing. At the very end of the book, Konrath gives thanks, by name, to every single bookseller he met while on his book tour for RUSTY NAIL. A cynic would call that a smart marketing move, but I call it "class" with a capital C. If you need one more reason to read DIRTY MARTINI, that is it.

--- Reviewed by Joe Hartlaub

5.0 out of 5 stars Best One Yet!, March 19, 2008
PokerBen (Colorado, USA) - See all my reviews
Over the last year or so J.A. Konrath has become one of my favorite authors to read. He has a great way of making his characters stand out, and adds a great mix of humor, horror, and thrill to all his novels. I really enjoy reading the Jack Daniels series and have read all four so far, and look forward to reading all the future titles. This in my opinion is the best book of the series to date. I can definitely tell that JA is getting better at the writers craft the more work he produces. You will definitely want to check this title out! Happy Reading!

1.0 out of 5 stars Hyperion should be ashamed, February 21, 2013
. . . all with r receivers.
. . .the steps in front of the Ar. Institute
. . . in this hemi sphere?
I threw on one o. Latham's. . .
between a coffee ma chine and
I could tr. Scooterboy
his fingers touched the top of my pan ties
I was the lucky one p person
Variant U is a weaponized form o. Marburg.
Don't publishers proofread? Can people spell? These are simple mistakes but how many are acceptable? Fewer than 250?
The book is fluff. Could be enjoyable with fewer errors.

3.0 out of 5 stars AN ALERT FOR REVIEWERS, July 27, 2013
Many books, including this one, have received reviews that were not complimentary due to production failures, spelling and grammar deficiencies, and other flaws. All, or at least most of them, can be corrected promptly by the author. Then the problem is that the reviewers who gave the negative posts will never know 1. that their complaints were acknowledged and 2. that the book has been corrected and no longer deserves the flogging it received. Perhaps the author could place an ALERT giving this information.
I'll review this book after I've finished it. And then two or three weeks afterwards, check the book again to learn whether any problems have been mended.
One more thing for authors to remember. No book pleases all readers. The proportion is important. If there are 80% 4 and 5 stars, and the remainder 1 and 2 stars, you've got a hit on your hands. Never mind the ones who don't appreciate your work. Just be concerned that the proportions are as indicated. IMO.

3.0 out of 5 stars shallow and lightweight, July 12, 2007
This writing is the equivalent of McDonalds or candy, lightweight and enjoyable if you dont expect too much.
Many of the situations are just too unbelievable and stretch things way too far, just to make a humorous point.
Some of the things, like Jack "finally" realizing the true target is astounding that it took so long.
Many of her "escapes" from danger are just way too far fetched. She is the only one who survies the house that was a trap??? come on! Nobody else thought to hold their breath? The experts all were just dumb and could not survive, but Jack she can survive anything!!!!!!! It takes away the suspense, because you know no matter how illogical how crazy the situation the writer will get jack out of it.
The characters are cartoonish, the storyline very formulaic. The reliance ont he standard "male chauvanist pig" and fat people as the source of humor shows a shallowness to the humor.
The conclusion was a huge let down.
They just happen to "miss" the blatant evidence and clues that were in front of their face? Nobody figured that one out? then suddenly this careful bad guy leaves a finger print- how convenient!
I give it 3 stars because i did actually laugh a few times, but as far as literature and skillful writing- NOPE!

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't Waste Your Time, April 2, 2013
Jan Myers (OLNEY, TX, US) - See all my reviews
As I said earlier, if you have read one of these books, you have read them all. Settings don't change. Characters don't really change. Not enjoyable reading. Too much gore. We have enough ugly things in the world without reading this trash.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, but not great, July 28, 2013
I gave this a three star, just as easy could have been a two. Most of the errors in printing, etc., mentioned by others have been corrected in the edition I just downloaded. It is hard to review this book because this author loves gory details in murder! Way too much in my opinion. I love a good mystery, and this really is not one, just a nut cake who is mad at police and decides to get even by poisoning as many as possible, and if others get in the way are simply collateral damage. He (she?) starts poisoning people using very ingenious methods, I must admit, and the author certainly has done his homework on the different kinds, hundreds, I assume in the plant world. There are plenty of 'gory' details in the form of very descriptive ill people and it seems the more the merrier! We know the baddie will get caught in the end, and the cop, despite trials and tribulations will come through and survive, thus the so-called "edge of your seat" situations seem simply contrived. The information about her father, and her boy friend is included to add background to the protagonist, and to add pages to the book. If you like the books I suppose this adds depth to the character will encourage you to read the others. I found myself skipping a couple of chapters just past the half way point, the story took too long to tell.

4.0 out of 5 stars very good, March 14, 2013
this book held my interest and made me want to keep reading. A very good mystery. I will read other books by Jack Kilboom.

2.0 out of 5 stars my least favorite to date, April 24, 2013
This was my 4th book in the series and far and away the worst. The story line, while still engaging in the enjoyable banter found in earlier books, was so completely implausible as to detract from the story. The author struggled to keep past characters lovable and failed. Many times I thought to put the book down in favor of another but continued hoping for a glimmer of past efforts. It just got worse and worse right up to the end. Save your time and money.

2.0 out of 5 stars Enough is Enough, August 3, 2013
I kept plugging through the first 4 of these Jack Daniels books, but I can't go on. IMO, it's unfortunately a rare author who can write a believable protagonist of the opposite gender, and Konrath's Jack is more masculine than most of the male characters inhabiting the books. Also, it gets quite boring when each book's baddie is a brilliant, sick, mega-serial killer--when the author's inventiveness seems to focus on ways by which people can be slaughtered.
It's no wonder Amazon discounted the series so much.

Dirty Martini (Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels Series)
Dirty Martini (Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels Series) by J. A. Konrath (MP3 CD - July 3, 2007)
Used & New from: $3.75