5.0 out of 5 stars A Masterpiece...again
Published on November 15, 2010 by Robert Tobin

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Bad, Not Their Best
It was a good CD, but lacked the traditional Underoath sounds. If you're looking for more They're Only Chasing Safety, you won't find it on Disambiguation. Nevertheless, it has some solid songs that you'll find yourself putting on repeat. At the end of the record, though, you're left wondering what direction you went in. It's a good listen, for something on the background...
Published on August 5, 2011 by Bill

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A Masterpiece...again, November 15, 2010
This review is from: Disambiguation (Audio CD)
Everybody's hearts sank when the news broke that Aaron Gillespe was leaving the band. Most people (including me) were really worried about the state of the band whether it was the beginning of the decline for Underoath. That meant if they were to continue their high level of musicianship, they needed to get the right drummer to fill in. Daniel Davison, who was phenomenal with Norma Jean, was that one guy and has filled that missing void very well.

Underoath has a knack for one-uping themselves. I'm always stunned how they are able to do that (now) after 5 albums, but they find a way to reinvent themselves while still staying true to who they are as a band. I love how this album is harder and darker than other albums (excluding their 2 albums preceding The Changing of Times). In Division, Catch Myself Catching Myself and Illuminator are the staple Underoath energy songs you'd expect from them by now. But songs like Paper Lung and A Divine Eradication are different in contrast not only with each other but with Underoath's own style. Paper Lung is a slow building song that rides a heavy but calm bass line that ends in a blood pumping crescendo. It's quiet but very dark and heavy. On the other side, A Divine Eradication is Underoath's hardest hitting song ever with bass lines that'll vibrate a house. There's also Driftwood and Reversal which features Chirs's amazing work on keys/synths, which builds on what he was able to do on the last album. They're very digital/technical sounding with a bit of erie atmosphere.

If Lost In the Sound of Separation was Chirs Dudley's breakthrough album then Disambiguation is Spencer's, who now takes full reigns of vocals and does a phenomenal job at both screaming and singing. I'm amazed he's able to do both still and can do it without Aaron. I am just a little disappointed that the album, with how epic it is, comes in under 40 mins. Define the Great Line showed that they could make epic progressive songs like in Casting Such a Thin Shadow and then stray from that in a way. Who Will Guard the Guardians and In Completion do capture that mood but doesn't sustain it for very long. Another thing i'd like to mention is that the packaging is AMAZING. For those who bought this album as an MP3 album you're really missing out because the artwork is very well planned out as a hands on experience.

Underoath has always set the bar high for themselves when going into writing a record and always seem to make it higher after it's all done.

5.0 out of 5 stars Underoath delivers a masterpiece once again, November 21, 2010
This review is from: (Disambiguation) (Deluxe Edition) [+Digital Booklet] (MP3 Music)
I'll make this first paragraph short and to the point for those who don't want to read this whole review: YOU MUST BUY THIS ALBUM! Yes it is that good.

When I found out Aaron was leaving the band, I like many others, was skeptical that Underoath could continue to produce extraordinary music. However, halfway through this album I had made up my mind - this is an amazing record!

Although this is probably their most different sounding album since Spencer joined the band it is still top notch Underoath. Spencer just keeps getting better and better and writing great music.

This album is the most hardcore yet most soft sounding Underoath record they've made. One minute Spencer is screaming his head off in a frenzied breakdown, the next he's blending his gritty yet melodic vocals into a smoothly flowing chorus. This is no doubt the most diverse Underoath record to date. Songs like In Division and My Deteriorating Incline will create an internal mosh pit within your head, while songs like Paper Lung and Illuminator will have you swaying to the rough, expertly crafted melody. The remixes at the end of the deluxe album also add another diverse touch to it as well, and I would say they are worth the extra two bucks.

"In Completion": As I said before you MUST get this album. Even with a change of lineup, and a change of pace, Disambiguation is as good as Underoath (and the hardcore genre for that matter) gets. This album will please any set of ears; from the first time Underoath listener to the seasoned "#1 Underoath fan boy".

PLEASE BUY THIS ALBUM!!! (and make it a deluxe while you're at it.)

4.0 out of 5 stars New wave of sound from an ever evolving band., November 9, 2010
This review is from: Disambiguation (Audio CD)
Since their early days, Underoath has been constantly evolving and changing their sound. Disambiguation has proven to differ greatly from the band's more popular releases (e.g. They're Only Chasing Safety, Define the Great Line) with the departure of Aaron Gillespie's effortless clean vocals and swift, rythmic drum beats. However, Spencer has stepped up to the plate, tackling the roles of lead "lung piercing" screamer as well as the missing clean vocals in spite of negative circumstances surrounding the album's production. I was hesitant about deeper, more diaphragm centered screams that are littered through Disambiguation. But, popping out my headphones after the 11 new tracks, I found that I very much enjoy the way in which he is able to switch between clean vocals and screams without hindering the sound of the instruments, even though he comprises nearly the entire vocal track. It may not be everyone's cup of tea, persay; but Underoath deserves a fighting chance from their following. They delivered an up to par album that has a few hidden gems jampacked within. While not their best, my ears will welcome their improved sound over scores of other post hardcore bands' efforts any day

4.0 out of 5 stars (no title), November 9, 2010
Ben Dugan "Ben Dugan" (Flying Monkey Killer) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Disambiguation (Audio CD)
I'm going to keep this short.
"Disambiguation" is the best Underoath record thus far. Though it lacks any really memorable melodies, which much have gone the way of the buffalo when drummer/ singer/ founding member Aaron Gillespie left the band earlier this year, the record is the bands most consistant. The record plays much better the full way through, each song working with each other like a piece of a puzzle. It creates and sustains a mood throughout, but even better it deepens that mood, offering different shades and feels as the record progresses. Though not a concept album, "Disambiguation" certainly plays like one. It feels like one thirty two minute piece of music rather than a collection of songs.
The band is playing and writing tightier than ever before. The drumming is as crushing as ever, but a little more intricate and interesting. The guitars are thicker and heavier, but just as likely to add tension and texture as they are to add volume. The bass is funkier and more melodic than it has been on previous records, and the keyobards, when audible, add greatly to the vibe of the record. The band is firing on all cylinders.
But the biggest surprise, and a very pleasant one at that, is the vocals and lyrics of now sole vocalist Spencer Chamberlain. Whether it be because he can focus more on writing the full songs instead of parts or whatever, Chamberlain absolutley stuns on the record, sliding from his guttural howl to a surprisingly gruff yet melodic voice. Free to follow his muse solely, Chamberlain absolutley stuns on the whole record.
With a little more melody (occasionally the songs become a little same soundy, especially in the middle portion) "Disamibugation" would have been, more than likely, the record of the year. It falls a little short, but also points to a really bright and interesting future for the band. If they continue with this path, it's safe to say that in five years time Underoath will have created the classic album that they seem fully capable of making.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'll miss you Aaron!, January 5, 2011
Even though sweet sweet Aaron has departed from the family,
this is still a flawless album! :)

I admit I was a little discouraged about the absence of our beloved drummer.
But all in all, the new drummer has his own mad skills!
I give him major props for coming up against Aaron,
and holding his own.

Still a great group,
still making insipring stories.

Love it! 5/5

5.0 out of 5 stars this band has not changed, December 2, 2010
This review is from: Disambiguation (Audio CD)
Underoath's lineup has changed over the years, but the music has not. the intensity is still there. Underoath has proved that metalcore will not die. the metalcore genre is 16 years old, and still rocking. the song titles on this album are very interesting, and the breakdowns prepare you to be pummeled again. it is so cool that Spencer Chamberlain does metalcore and clean vocals. I wonder what Underoath will top this album with next. these guys rock!

5.0 out of 5 stars Take the Underoath you used to know, subtract The Almost and add Norma Jean. That's the new (and improved) Underoath..., January 9, 2012
Confession time. I have never been an Underoath fan. The mere thought of their music always evoked my gag reflex. I formed my opinion of the band based on people I knew who liked them, which, needless to say, wasn't a good opinion. That all changed when I saw them perform live on the Cool Tour this past July. I was blown away at just how wrong I had been about the band and their sound. So the next day, I went back to listen to their albums and, again, I felt an overwhelming urge to vomit. Not only did I not like it, but there were times when it was painful to listen to. There was an obvious difference between the Underoath I saw live, and the Underoath I heard on those albums. That difference was drummer and clean vocalist, Aaron Gillespie, who left the band in April 2010 (a few months before I saw them in concert). Since (Disambiguation) is the first Aaron-less album in the band's thirteen year existence (their fifth full length overall), I eagerly awaited it hoping it would help eliminate the huge disconnect I felt and offer more of what I was looking for from the band.

I'll admit that I was nervous when I received the album. I read through the press materials and a quote from guitarist Tim McTague jumped out at me immediately: "We've never been afraid of singing, but the big poppy choruses are gone. This record has a lot more of a mature feeling. It wasn't that we hated melody, but we wanted it to be a proper fit." Hoping he was right, I held my breath and clicked play.

(Disambiguation)`s first track "In Division" offers up a perfect representation of everything I had hoped for--a thick, driving guitar tone, diverse vocals and an infinitely catchy hook that's completely void of "emo". Frankly, the song sets the bar quite high for the rest of the album. "Catch Myself Catching Myself" continues the album's momentum and kept me feeling quite optimistic about this "new" Underoath. The song features a chorus I'm quite fond of where vocalist Spencer Chamberlain sings "I want to watch them burn it down", mildly resembling Norma Jean's "Falling From The Sky: Day Seven".

The album certainly isn't without its share of pleasant surprises. Dissonance, feedback and distortion are used frequently, but in a pleasing and balanced way that prevents it from being overkill to the listener. The band throws in a few experimental tracks with "Paper Lung", "Driftwood" and "In Completion". All three of these songs see the band take a moodier, more atmospheric approach than you might expect. "Paper Lung" and "In Completion" introduce a slight Deftones vibe to provide a nice change of pace from some of the album's more heavy hitting tracks. "Driftwood" is a Radiohead-inspired song that really shows the band's riskier side. Initially, it was one of the tracks that just didn't work for me personally because I felt it disrupted the album's flow. After a couple more listens though, it really started to settle in to the album nicely.

Other powerful tracks on the album are "Illuminator", "A Divine Eradication", "Vacant Mouth" and "My Deteriorating Incline". However, while (Disambiguation) is a strong album, there were a few minor issues holding it back from the illusive 5.0 rating. I found the tracks "Driftwood" (initially) and "Reversal" to be sub-par in comparison to the remainder of songs presented. And...well, that's really my only complaint.

(Disambiguation)`s production duties were shared by Matt Goldman (producer for all of The Chariot's albums) and Jeremy SH Griffith (producer for Norma Jean's Meridional). That is especially relevant because Underoath set out with a goal to make this album sound much more organic than their previous albums; "more like [their] live experience rather than a flawless, computerized project" according to McTague. Add to that the fact that Gillespie's replacement is Daniel Davison, former drummer for Norma Jean, and it's no surprise that you'll hear hints of mathcore nuances scattered throughout the album.

There is something I feel obligated to note, even though the review risks entering into "too long" territory. Spencer Chamberlain deserves an immense amount of credit for his diverse vocal work on (Disambiguation). To transition from sharing vocal responsibilities with Gillespie to being the sole vocalist is one thing; but to exceed in the manner he does here is something different entirely, and he makes it seem effortless. The previous clean "emo" vocals from Gillespie have been replaced by Chamberlain's airy, atmospheric cleans, and the result is an album with a more mature sound.

It's obvious that this is a more cohesive Underoath than ever before, with a clear vision of who they are and where they are going. Take the Underoath you used to know, subtract The Almost and add Norma Jean. That's the new (and improved) Underoath you'll get on (Disambiguation). It's their most diverse effort yet, and represents a complete rebirth for a band that some might say didn't even need it. As for me, I couldn't be happier with the "new" Underoath. Maybe I wasn't a fan before, but I certainly am now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Underoath's Supremacy in Christian Metal no longer Ambiguous, April 11, 2011
This review is from: Disambiguation (Audio CD)
I am a little different from other Underoath fans in that I got on board at Lost in the Sound. Though I do enjoy their older music, I've always liked the darker stuff that Spencer has done because I think they explore the theme of their own sinfulness before God in an incredible and emotional way. I thought Lost in the Sound was the best I'd ever hear from any Christian band in that vein.

Disambiguation is better. It's more forceful, more melodic, darker, more emotional, and an even deeper look into the hearts of the musicians. I love Aaron Gillespie's music, but with his pop sensibilities gone, and the able musicianship of Chris from Norma Jean, the dark metal sound is more cohesive and more striking. And the songwriting is at its best.

The album ends too soon, and the first half is stronger than the second, but it's just so original, so real, so well-conceived and recorded that I just can't pull my ears away from it.

Thanks Underoath! You guys are inspiring and very gifted. One question I have is, why didn't you put more of the Gospel into this album? Lost in the Sound ends with the line that "We're forgetting our forgiveness," a reminder of Christ's atonement at the end of an epic of horrifying self-examination. Disambiguation begins and ends in horrible self-examination. Even "Who Will Guard the Guardians," a brief peek at hope in God, is book-ended with the terror of being sinful man. Have you guys concluded that the Gospel just isn't convincing or effective in musical format? That you focus on man's lostness, then witness one-on-one with friends? I'll be sure to ask you again when I see you in His kingdom. Blessings!

- Patrick

5.0 out of 5 stars my purchase, January 1, 2011
This review is from: Disambiguation (Audio CD)
This album is the most different out of any Underoath album, all the way down to the song structure. The music has a different feel and UO makes their first attempt at mixes. If you like Underoath, you'll appreciate this new album at the very least.

5.0 out of 5 stars (Disambiguation) - A Masterpiece, November 16, 2010
This review is from: Disambiguation (Audio CD)
The biggest question before the release of " (Disambiguation)" was the effect that Aaron Gillespie's departure would have on the band. Who would take over singing? Who would take over drumming? How would the overall sound evolve?

The first question is answered in triumph. Spencer Chamberlain, who once stayed mostly with screaming and left the singing to Aaron and sometimes Tim McTague, is now the sole vocalist with Tim assisting him in live performance. Spencer takes the pop sound out of the band's melodies that had always been present when Aaron was singing almost exclusively. Don't think for a moment, however, that Spencer does not have the same range as Aaron. His melodies are quite soaring [it may just be me, but his voice sounds shockingly similar to Paul McCartney's in the second half of "Driftwood"], and a good example of this is in "Catch Myself Catching Myself." Though Aaron's voice will be missed, fans can listen to the album in tranquility as Spencer takes over the role with much skill.

The second question is also answered in a pleasing way. The former drummer for Norma Jean, Daniel Davison, performs admirably where Aaron once sat enthroned. Davison's style is actually somewhat similar to Gillespie's, and his technical skills may actually exceed those of the former drummer. A nice touch that Daniel added to the group was extensive percussion effects. Tamborine, eccentric percussion, and tom percussion can be heard interspersed with the drums throughout the album. A win of a choice for a drummer if I do say so myself.

As for the new sound, I shall let you make that decision for yourself. This album is certainly a divergence from previous albums in regard to style. Though the band members' artistry can be perceived in all previous albums, particularly Lost in the Sound of Separation, (Disambiguation) certainly lets the technical and creative talent of these young men shine forth. Overall, the style is darker than previous albums, incorporating more synth and programmed effects [e.g. "Reversal"]. But as was eluded to in an interview before the release, there is actually more singing on this album than on the two previous albums. I will not make any judgments of style, but the new sound is a great improvement in my book.

This album is well worth checking out; the remixes on the Deluxe Edition are very sweet as well. I pre-ordered the Deluxe Edition the day it became available, September 9th, 2010, and it was completely worth the wait. I cannot wait to see what's in store for these fellows - good things, I'm sure.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›