Customer Discussions > District 9 [Blu-ray] forum

Disc Does not Play on Blue-Ray player

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 27 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 31, 2009 4:18:53 PM PST
I put disc in and it says disc is not readable. Does anybody else have this issue, and yes I do have a Blue ray player, and yes I did put the right disc in.

Posted on Jan 1, 2010 10:23:54 AM PST
Jerome Bush says:
I have no clue except to reason that the disc is defective. Maybe you could return it and try another? Rent one and try it? Had any trouble loading any other blu-ray discs?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2010 2:47:27 PM PST
No never had this problem before. I was thinking my Blue Ray player was messed up or for some reason would not play this movie but im thinking the disc is defective. I tred it out on a play station 3 and it still would not play.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2010 4:41:25 PM PST
Try updating your player with the latest firmware available. Many of the newer discs will not play unless your player is updated. If it still doesn't work it is probably defective.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2010 6:21:39 PM PST
Amazon is sending me a new movie and if it too doesn't work, then I know its my blue ray player. You can call me stupid but I have no idea how to update my blue ray player with new software.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2010 7:54:45 PM PST
Jerome Bush says:
Seems every player is a bit different in updating. Mine lets me know when there's an update available (Samsung). I have a Sony as well, and I have to go into the menu to see if there's one available (I do this about once a month). If you go to your brand name's site, it will (usually) let you know if there's an update available. You do have it connected to the internet for updates? If not, most brands will send you a disc to put in and update. Hope this helps a bit, Nick.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2010 7:59:07 PM PST
Your awesome. I have a sharp aquos blue ray player which I bought less than a year ago with my tv. I will go to the site and see if there is a update for it. Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2010 9:00:37 PM PST
you can go to your players web site and search for new firmware, stick a writeable cd in your computer, download the file, then put the cd in your player. it will ask you to update on your tv , hit yes.

Posted on Jan 1, 2010 9:05:09 PM PST
Jerome Bush says:
Thanks, Frank. I forgot to mention that you could record the upgrade yourself. Saves time on waiting for the mail.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2010 9:14:59 AM PST
A. Morse says:
I have the same problem; the disc only has other media like pictures. Also the movie came with a digital copy but the unlock codes are missing.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2010 9:26:19 AM PST
If you bought the disc through amazon then contact there customer service and they should be able to send you a new disc. That's what they did with me no questions asked. I'm gonna wait and see if that works. If not there is a firmware update to my blue ray player which sharp says can only be done via being hooked up to the web or by using a memory stick and downloading the update onto my blue ray player. Its eaither one of these two issues. I'm just going to wait and see how it plays out

Posted on Jan 4, 2010 3:53:49 PM PST
C. Calderon says:
I have an issue with this movie for both menus (the humans and no-humans) it takes around 2 minutes to load, so the best way is to jump to scenes and select the chapter 1. If not I'll wait a couple of minutes, which is sucks.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2010 3:57:55 PM PST
I figured my issue out. I did the firmware update to my blue ray player and it fixed the issue. The movie plays now but it does take forever to load.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2010 8:08:22 PM PST
Jerome Bush says:
Aye, Nick, I have two players, different brands, and they both take time to load. I think the second Narnia film is the worst about loading time. I think it's just something that has to be endured at this time. The players are basically computers, and some programs take longer than others to load. I'm sure someone will come up with a quicker-loading blu-ray before longer and really tout that improvement. Happy to hear that yours is all updated and going now. :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2010 8:24:41 PM PST
Yes. My player is working and all it needed was a firmware update which I had no idea it needed. Thanks jerome for letting me know about it. I let a couple other people know about it also and they are checking there blue ray players.

In reply to an earlier post on May 1, 2010 9:30:44 PM PDT
Carlin says:
This is WAY after your post of Jan 4. We bought a Samsung Blue Ray player last week and had the Firmware updated to play Avatar. Bought District 9 today and discovered it does not play (the Previews or Trailers of other movies play but District 9 won't). If this means we have to update our Firmware for every Blue Ray movie we buy I am getting out of this industry. Side note, the DVD version of District 9 did not play either.

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2010 7:25:37 AM PDT
Jerome Bush says:
Aye, I completely understand and sympathize. I just got off the phone with Netflix. One of their blu-rays wouldn't play on my player. He said my firmware needed updating. I checked and it's up-to-date. I'd take the Avatar film back and try another. It does look beautiful on my Samsung.

Posted on May 2, 2010 9:34:10 AM PDT
If you go online somthing like 70% of the Avatar Blue Rays don't work. It doesn't have to do with firmware. 20th century fox put a state of the art security on the disc so people can not copy them. The issues though is that its so high tech it won't play on pretty much all blue ray players.

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2010 2:30:47 PM PDT
Jerome Bush says:
If that's true, I hope the person who bought mine on EBAY has no problem with my disc (which played perfectly--I just didn't like the movie).

Posted on Dec 31, 2011 9:41:31 AM PST
compsciguy says:
lol....someone didn't like Avatar?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2012 6:45:01 PM PST
I have the same problem with my new Breaking Dawn dvd Blue Ray disc. It will not play on my HP Pavilion Notebook or my PS#

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2012 6:48:51 PM PST
why should it have to be updated. the new disc should include the update. This is creating major grief. I purchased a blue ray disc to play in my blue ray player. Why does it not work? I have taken three discs back to the store and still cannot get one to work on my ps3 and my HP notebook purchased a year a to. the last blue ray I purhased worked. Why doesn't this one work?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2012 7:22:28 PM PST
Jerome Bush says:
You have a very good idea, Roxanne, and though I don't have the expertise to comment on this as an expert, I would think that each brand of blu-ray player would have its own way to update. I just had to do an update to play the Captain America BD. I don't think to check for updates until I actually have a new disc that won't play. It would be nice if the blu-ray player would let ME know when there's an update available. I can only imagine how irritating it is for those whose blu-ray player is not connected to the internet. They would have to go to the internet site, make a disc of the update, then play it on the blu-ray player. An automatic update would be nice...

Posted on Jun 5, 2012 8:17:50 AM PDT
Remi1998 says:
It's really not hard to do the update all you you need is a USB jump drive and you can d/l from the manufacturer website and hook it to the back of the player. That's what I did to my two Samsung blue ray players that don't have wifi. It took me 20 minutes on each and now they play all blue rays.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2012 9:20:39 AM PDT
brandon says:
i am having the same problem. i got a blue ray player but its not playing blue ray dvds its only playing normal dvds. any advice how i can get the blue ray dvds to work? i try diff blue ray dvds still dont work.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  12
Total posts:  27
Initial post:  Dec 31, 2009
Latest post:  Feb 18, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions