5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent version of a classic work
Published on August 22, 2009 by Mac S.

3.0 out of 5 stars Kindle Version Needs Work
I read the earlier incarnation _The Cost of Discipleship_ years ago and am looking forward to reading the new translation, especially now that I have a better theological understanding of the issues. The introduction alone is a worthwhile read for those looking for a brief overview of Bonhoeffer's thought.

However, the Kindle edition needs work. Footnotes are...
Published on August 5, 2010 by D. Arnold

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent version of a classic work, August 22, 2009
Mac S. (Searcy, AR, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Discipleship (Dietrich Bonhoeffer Works, Vol. 4) (Paperback)
This is a book that every Christian should read. Bonhoeffer is among the twentieth centuries greatest theologians, and Discipleship (formerly titled The Cost of Discipleship in English translations) is his most popular and enduring work. In it we find the clarion call to return to simple obedience to Christ without the naiveté that can so easily creep into such a call. "A paradoxical understanding of the commandments has a Christian right to it, but it must never led to the annulment of a simple understanding of the commandments. Rather it is justified and possible only for those who have already taken simple obedience seriously at some point in their lives, and so already stand in community with Jesus, in discipleship, in expectation of the end" (80) Bonhoeffer's rejection of "cheap grace," that "mortal enemy of our church," and the accompanying call for disciples of Christ to embrace the way of the cross stands as the central thesis of the book. Such an argument, while never in fashion, is nevertheless needed for every church in every age, and nobody makes the argument like Bonhoeffer.

A brief note on this edition of the book:
The Bonhoeffer Works series is a must-own collection for serious students of Dietrich Bonhoeffer. The updated translation is excellent, and though there are times when one longs for a particular turn of phrase from older translations there is little doubt that what is presented here is closer to the actual thought of the author. One place where the new translation is weaker (to my way of thinking) is its use of gender neutral language. I'm not opposed to changing the dominant masculine on ideological grounds, but there are times when a graceful or elegant turn of phrase becomes clunky or a the author's meaning is obscured because of it. The introductions, afterwards, bibliography, indexes, and extensive notation apparatus are invaluable tools that enable the reader to go deeper into the text when he/she wants to without being so obtrusive that they preclude him/her from simply taking in the words of the author.

3.0 out of 5 stars Kindle Version Needs Work, August 5, 2010

However, the Kindle edition needs work. Footnotes are in-line in the text instead of marked with links. The publisher needs to work on this as it is a tremendous distraction while reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Now a Great Edition, September 5, 2011
Stephen C. Long (Albuquerque, NM United States) - See all my reviews
I appreciate the previous reviewers reports about the Kindle formatting problem. I am happy to report that, as of my purchase, the footnoting has been fixed. I am confident their reviews effected the improvement.

Why should you pay more for this edition of "Discipleship" ("The Cost of Discipleship" in other translations) than other editions that are available. This is part of a series that is collecting Bonhoeffer's works, determining the true German original (textual criticism), and adding helpful notes in order to understand the "sitz im leben" at the time Bonhoeffer wrote particular things, their place in his theological corpus, and relationship to the rest of the corpus.

The notes also help with understanding how Bonhoeffer uses particular German words and, for those with some German ability, allows you to see the actual German word used when the editors believed it would be helpful.

The editors also explain Bonhoeffer's use of certain Greek words, eg, they tell us Bonhoeffer uses the Greek "philanthropia" in the literal sense of "love of human persons," rather than as the word "philanthropy" is used in American culture. I note that the Greek fonts appear fairly clearly, a quality that is not uniform among Kindle books.

I believe this critical edition is worth the added expense.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of My Top Five Life Changing Books, March 11, 2009
I first read this over ten years ago, but I still find Dietrich's words coming out of my mouth in various theological conversations. Absolutely one of the most challenging books I've ever read, especially as an American Christian.

Discipleship is an absolute must (and a great starting point) for people looking to push deeper into their own understanding of what it is to "follow after" Jesus. I particularly enjoyed this version for it's footnotes (something I usually skip).

For those wanting some Bonhoeffer, but not wanting to commit to the larger work, I'd also strongly recommend his "Life Together."

Enjoy!

Ken Clark
Author of The Complete Idiot' Guide to Getting Out of Debt

5.0 out of 5 stars The Heart of Bonhoeffer, April 20, 2001
Teresa D. King (Deltona, FL United States) - See all my reviews
The fourth volume, "Discipleship" in the Bonhoeffer works series is an outstanding representation of not just Bonhoeffer the theologian, but Bonhoeffer the man as well. The fresh translation brings back to life the passion with which this man of God lived his life. Bonhoeffer viewed the church of his day as falling away from the teachings of Jesus, but within the pages of, "Discipleship", he writes of what is necessary of the Christian, in order that he or she may be true disciples of Christ.

5.0 out of 5 stars Discipleship, November 13, 2012
Re-reading this book again after about 40 years and after just finishing the Metaxas biography of Bonhoeffer causes me to remind potential readers there will be details that will cause most of us to go slowly. Discipleship is providing a peek into the mind of one of the most brilliant christian minds of the past 200 years. Speed readers will find their mettle tested on every page.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, December 22, 2012
Dietrich Bonhoeffer leaves no question unanswered in his very hard to put down book. The fact that he lived this out in real life just makes it more real.

3.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality Kindle Version, December 28, 2010
My comment on this Kindle Version of Bonhoeffer's Discipleship is twofold.
1. The intensity and detail with which Bonhoeffer describes what it means to be a disciple of the Lord Jesus blows into the face of the modern faceless, characterless, charismatic entertainment churches and their teaching. I came from that background, had gone a long way and was thrilled to find in this book the light and salt I was always searching for. The book is certainly not an easy bedtime reading, but absolutely recommended for anyone seeking reason and meaning in Christianity.

2. This Kindle Edition of Bonhoeffer's Discipleship is a cheap production that is not worth the money currently asked for. The worse thing are the original footnotes that appear in the middle of the electronic text anywhere on the page. It looks to me the publisher just scanned the book and put the text online without any formating. It would take only 2-3 hours to convert the text into a readable Kindle Version. There should be some basic quality control at AMAZON to ban those kind of publishers. There are is a ton of free books on the internet that have much higher formating qualities.

Conclusion: The poor formating quality takes all joy reading this gem of Christian literature. A paper copy I would have returned instantly. Therefore only 3stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Much better than the common english translation, February 7, 2014
Alan Brehm (Houston, TX United States) - See all my reviews
I'm grateful to have a version of Bonhoeffer's original "Nachfolge" in an English translation that is true to the German. When my church studied the other version "The Cost of Discipleship," I compared it with my German edition, and found that the common version is filled with translation errors, many of which obscure what Bonhoeffer is trying to say. I cannot tell you how many times it happened that when I translated the original for the class, they said, "Oh, that makes much more sense." You can get the gist of Bonhoeffer's ideas in the common version, but this version is a much clearer translation. I would recommend this version over the other hands down.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for Christians, December 9, 2012
I found this book in a store and was impressed with the list of references and cross-references to Bonhoeffer's other work, the reference material influencing his thoughts and biblical passages on which he prayed. For this reason I was rather reluctant to buy it for my Kindle because I just didn't think the Kindle could easily move between all the various references, footnotes and biblical verses quoted separately. It took me a few failed attempts but I quickly caught on to how to navigate this highly footnoted text and move between its notes and the book itself.

"Discipleship" is Bonhoeffer's original title of what was eventually translated from German and released in the US as "The Cost of Discipleship". I tried to read "The Cost of Discipleship" over 25 years ago but I guess I wasn't at the right spot in my Christian walk to appreciate what he was saying and gave up after the first couple dozen pages. That was then. Now I am beginning my second reading and using it more as a study guide.

I highly recommend reading the biography of Bonhoeffer ( see my other review ) prior to reading this book. It makes the footnote and references easier to understand and enhances your understanding of what was happening at the time. It is not a requirement for understanding the message and call of "Discipleship" but it helps to understand Bonhoeffer’s frame of mind as he worked and reworked the manuscript during very tubulent years.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Discipleship (Dietrich Bonhoeffer Works, Vol. 4)
Discipleship (Dietrich Bonhoeffer Works, Vol. 4) by Dietrich Bonhoeffer (Paperback - June 1, 2003)
$21.00 $18.71