Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on October 14, 2000
One of the frustrations in my life is that I have been a christian for 1/2 of my 43 years and you would think that I would be farther along on my journey to become a disciple. Mr. Hughes, the author of this book, shares his thoughts on becoming a man of God, and some areas that we need to focus in on. In chapters like, "The Discipline of Marriage", he points out ways that men stumble and encourages us to avoid the pitfalls that have tripped so many up. This book takes a hard line on sin, but doesn't preach. It encourages us to be strong and courageous and gives practical steps for keeping the victory over sin. It is an excellent book to use in a men's discussion group. You can read a chapter each week, read the scriptures which are referenced and discuss the end of chapter questions. I recommend this to every man, 15 and up.
on June 17, 2003
Forget Wild at Heart! Buy this book instead. It calls for radical discipline as the means of pursuing godliness in every area of life. With a good blend of biblical teaching, true-life stories, and practical advice, Hughes leads men to embrace the spiritual sweat necessary in following Christ. I like this book so much that I'm currently leading the men in our church through this study. It's one of (if not the) best books for men on the Christian market today.
VINE VOICEon March 24, 2002
It is easy to see why Kent Hughes' book has been such a best seller. The author has compiled in these pages an invaluable collection of helpful, spiritual advice for men in the 21st century. I am not aware of a more comprehensive volume that covers so many topics within one cover.
Hughes identifies the following life areas: relationships, soul, character, ministry, and grace. He then provides specific disciplines that each cultivate a more dynamic Christian lifestyle. His advice is Biblically sound, culturally relevant, and easy to understand.
This book will be very helpful to any man who desires to grow deeper in his devotion to Jesus Christ. While it is only an introductory work, it provides a solid foundation on which to begin a more structured approach to discipleship. I recommend it highly.
on January 31, 2006
I initially read this book about three years ago and thought it was a great book. I am now going through the book again but this time with a group of guys in a study. The study questions are great to help you apply the reading. R. Kent Hughes holds no punches and bases all of his information on Scripture. If you desire to be a Godly man, I HIGHLY recommend reading this book and completing the study questions.
on March 10, 2015
this book was chosen by a friend and I was not very supportive of the decision, but upon beginning to read it, I realize that it's a really excellent resource. I strongly recommend the book, it will take you back to what's important.
on January 9, 2014
This book exposes the need of a balanced life in the Christian experience. Accepting and drawing close to the Lord and Maker is such a valued relationship in this troubled and violent world. This book leads one through the daily existence God would like to show us and protect us. Very good book after the Bible.
on February 13, 2001
R. Kent Hughes provides men with some good solid Christian fundamentals to live by. I thought the reading was relatively easy and provided many points of discussion with my small group.
However - some of the negatives about the book revolve around the terrible examples used by Hughes as "fact". One example would be the lesson on "tongues" and his assumption that a mid-western reporter caused a revolution in China... This is hardly the case - but written to be as fact in his book. Furthermore - Hughes tends to utilize statistics as a measure to re-inforce his points. Unfortunately - much of his data is now quite dated and seems rather silly to utilize in reinforcing his points. In this day and age when politicians are quoting the latest poll - it seems rather bitter-sweet to find a Christian writer using polls to complicate his message.
Overall - the book is good basic info - but there are other books that will provide more punch for the paper.
on August 13, 2015
WOW! Where do I start with this book? I have a men's group that I attend weekly and we're going through Disciplines of a Godly Man. We just concluded spending 3 weeks on just a single chapter!

Be ready to be challenged in your walk with Christ, your witness before others, your relationship with your spouse, your work ethics, the need for open and genuine male friendships, your relationship with your church, and the words that come out of your mouth on a daily basis.

No, 'Good-Works' won't make you right with God. Only Christ and what he did on the cross can accomplish that, but once we have entered into that relationship, God EXPECTS us to reflect Christ in all that we do, say, and think, and that those actions come from the INSIDE, reflective of a CHANGED HEART and MIND! This book will challenge, convict, and motivate you to be what we have been called to be in Christ. I highly recommend this book, and HIGHLY RECOMMEND this for the purposes of a men's study/accountability group.
on December 3, 2014
Kent Hughes writes a good book for Christian men who desire to become more spiritually devout in their lives. The author gives numerous positive suggestions on practical ways to become better men of God in the way men treat their wives, children, grandchildren, family, friends and colleagues. The effort required to faithfully read the Bible and pray daily requires discipline but according to Kent Hughes that is the best way to draw close to God and obey His command to be holy, just as God is holy. As men become more disciplined in putting their faith into practice they will reap the benefits of spiritual maturity by becoming more Christ-like in their thoughts and actions. In doing so they will fulfill man's purpose in life - to glorify God, our Heavenly Father.
on January 4, 2012
The BEST book I have ever read other than the Bible. Buy it! I couldn't put it down. It CHANGED my life. Don't waste your time looking for five, ten different books--review the table of context of this book, pray about it and READ it. God had to be absolutely at the heart and center of this man's work. I have read SO many books and hold a Master in Divinity (MDiv)which means I had to read A LOT --this is certainly the most well written, most-deserving-of-my-time book I have ever read (other than the Bible, OF COURSE)on Spiritual Formation. It has changed my life!! Don't hesitate, BUY it.....