5.0 out of 5 stars Early But Worth Waiting For
Published on February 24, 2012 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars falls short of expectations
Published on March 24, 2012 by R. Steffens

5.0 out of 5 stars Early But Worth Waiting For, February 24, 2012
I keep going back and forth on how to start this review, which you might notice is going up a couple of weeks in advance of the actual release date. I'm not a prereader in the normal sense of the term, haven't received an ARC and I'm certainly nobody from whom you'd expect to see a blurb on the cover; I'm just a guy whose wife knew he enjoyed Seanan McGuire's October Daye series, so she preordered the first Incryptid novel when it was announced. And Amazon, in blithe disregard of release dates, sent it on to our greedy hands well in advance. Which is great, except for the fact that the NYT Bestseller list focuses on week one for its ranking system - and here we are in week -2, receiving our books, generating all of these sales. It's astoundingly unfair to a novel that deserves accolades and praises, and it's a resounding shame.

And yet, at the same time, I can't help but enjoy a guilty frisson of pleasure because I got to read it first. It took me less than six hours to consume this tale of monster hunting, monster cataloging, ballroom dancing and assorted deeds of derring-do, not because I'm a freakishly fast reader (although my wife would be one of the first to point that finger - "J'accuse!") but because it was, quite frankly, that good. This should come as no surprise to other readers of her Toby Daye series - Ms. McGuire is a talented author, with equal skills in creating memorable characters, spinning witty dialogue, and laying out a gripping storyline that catches you quick and rockets you along the rails (and sometimes above them, below them, or to one side or the other as you do those crazy, hairpin Wild Maus turns) to the conclusion.

"Discount Armageddon," on this note, does not disappoint; our heroine, Verity Price, is a daughter of the infamous Price family, who broke from the genocidal Covenant generations past to make their own way in the secret world of the supernatural. Far from being monster hunters, the Prices are monster catalogers - cryptozoologists, bound to study and protect the hundreds of races of unrecognized creatures, the Cryptids, living in the nooks and crannies of the daylight world. Some of these beasts are dangerous animalistic predators, and for the good of anything edible around them (i.e., humans), they must be contained or destroyed. Many of them are sentient creatures who just want to live their lives in peace - to bake pastries, to accumulate gold, or to eat pigeons in the park. The Prices are the unsung champions of the Cryptid world, believed a myth by most, hunted by some; and yet, despite this fantastic world to which she belongs, this is not the life Verity chooses. She is, at heart, a ballroom dancer; she has even managed to win something of a reputation in her field, thanks to reality television, dogged persistence, and an insanely deprived sleep schedule as she rushes to fill her family and professional obligations, both. Now living in New York City, far from friends and family, she finds herself in the middle of a Cryptid crisis that could very well threaten all she's tried to build for herself; the Covenant has come to the city, and Cryptids are disappearing. Especially young, female Cryptids...

Old hands in the Urban Fantasy/Paranormal Romance genre will see the romance subplot coming from a mile away - from first meeting, perhaps, as I did. On the other hand, the betrayals and twists in the plot - and there are a couple - are both richly layered and cunningly laid, and are likely to catch the reader as much by surprise as they do the characters. This is an enjoyable beginning to what promises to be an enjoyable series, and is to be looked forward to by all fans.

Which leads us to another point, one only tangentially related to "Discount Armageddon," and that is this; people are bastard covered bastards with bastard filling. Because Barnes & Noble, Amazon, and other distributors have released the printed copies early, but not the e-books, the author - who has no control over the release date of any of her material - has been the recipient of vulgar abuses and threats. It shouldn't have to be stated in any sort of civilized society that threatening physical violence over an intangible offense, especially one that does no actual harm (like having to wait two weeks for a story - two weeks to a release date that has not altered). And because the author is a woman, of course, many of these threats and taunts take on demeaning and sexually aggressive tones. This is, quite literally, behavior that should have been curbed in kindergarten. It's behavior that, quite honestly, makes me ashamed of my gender, and ashamed to hear these people refer to themselves as fans. The story, and a plea from Ms. McGuire, can be found here - [...] - but it's no exaggeration to say that the people in question have nothing more than my complete and utter disdain and contempt.

TL;DR version of the above: people suck, this book does not. Read it. Enjoy it. Don't be a bastard to the writer, because it discourages her from producing more such fantastic stories.

5.0 out of 5 stars Same great writer, but a little lighter, February 24, 2012
If you're a fan of Rosemary and Rue and Seanan's other books, you won't find this one disappointing. I won't summarize the plot, because the previous professional reviews pretty much got it right on - wanna-be pro-dancer from cryptid-obsessed family alone in New York, making friends with the ghoulies and having an awkward-but-steamy relation with a "kill-the-monsters" fanatic. I won't tell you how it ends, because, well, that would be telling. It is slightly different in feel from Seanan's October Daye series ("Rosemary and Rue", etc.) - a little less serious, a bit steamier. However, her characters remain interesting and original and her writing is clear and enjoyable. Some humorous turns to the plot really made the book for me, and I hope she continues this series as well as her October Daye novels. Recommended for some light reading.

3.0 out of 5 stars falls short of expectations, March 24, 2012
This review is from: Discount Armageddon: Book One of InCryptid (Kindle Edition)
I love McGuire's other series, but this novel is neither all that funny nor all that compelling. I had high hopes based on the fascinating world she's created in her other books, but this one was just OK. Too much telling, not enough showing, and no real spark between the main characters. With their opposing viewpoints there could have been a good deal of conflict, a build-up to their relationship - instead, it just kind of happens without fanfare or tension. Good read if you want detailed descriptions of running around on rooftops, not so much if you are looking for satisfying worldbuilding and character interaction.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book, could be better..., April 3, 2012
Verity Price, a cryptozoologist, hunts monsters that go bump in the night. Not every monster though, just the naughty ones that cause havoc in society. Verity comes from a long line of cryptozoologists which a few generations back broke from the Covenant, a group that believes all non-humans are evil and need to die.

The book started out strong and made me have high hopes that it would be excellent. Roughly halfway through I ran into a snag that I could not get over. The snag that I am speaking of is that one character was basically brainwashed into believing something their whole life. Yet that character changed their lifestyle / beliefs at the drop of a hat. I do not believe that could happen in most cases. I would have liked to see a progressive change throughout the book, not a I woke up and am a different person today type of change.

Another issue I have with the book is that it is full of monster names (ex: ahool, johrlac, etc) that the reader will get easily confused or not able to keep straight. I read the whole book and struggled somewhat only to find out there is a monster glossary in the back of the book. Why is this not in the front of the book?! I assume that most people are like me and do not read the back of the book first. I would have loved to reference the glossary while reading, but it is too late now.

The book is highly entertaining and worth reading, especially if you are into the kick butt females and paranormal characters. If you do decide to read this book, remember to look in the back if you get confused on what *insert monster name* is.

5.0 out of 5 stars Explosive new series with a rockin' heroine!, March 6, 2012
Seanan McGuire fans rejoice. The wonder writer who introduced readers to the fantastic world of October Daye is back with a new series that offers another excellent heroine in a unique world that's full of action.

Discount Armageddon introduces readers to Verity Price, a daughter of the famous Price family that has dedicated generations to studying the many strange monsters, bogeymen, demon and other things that go bump in the night. From birth, Verity has been trained as a crytpozoologist, though she'd rather just dance. After getting fed up with her life in Oregon, Verity moves to Manhattan for a year to pursue a professional ballroom dancing career (as in, tango, ramba, salsa, etc.) while finding a way to balance her family duties. Not only does Verity uncover a local nest of dangerous monsters, but find herself being pursued by a monster-hunting member of the Covenant, which would rather kill all the incryptids than try to persevere them. And it doesn't help that he's incredibly attractive.

If you've read Seanan McGuire's October Daye novels, then you'll find that Discount Armageddon has many of McGuire's signature items: fun and quirky storytelling with kick-butt female characters and a unique and engaging world that pulls readers in and doesn't let them go. But fans should know: Verity's story is not nearly as dark as Toby's. In fact, Discount Armageddon offers a lighter approach with a little extra steaminess and a renewed sense of fun and excitement that's a breathe of fresh air to readers. And, I hate to say it, but as much as I love McGuire's October Daye novels, I think that the InCryptid series could overtake it as my favorite urban fantasy/paranormal romance series. Actually, I'll even admit that Verity is already giving Toby a run for her money in the awesome heroine category. Verity could totally kick any bad guy's ass, even in a miniskirt and stilettos.

Though the concept feels a tiny bit awkward and convoluted, it's up to Verity to protect the incryptids of the world while learning to sashay across the dance floor. But it doesn't really help that she works at a local club for discerning gentlemen (read: strip club), that's crawling with incryptids. Verity, thankfully, doesn't work as a stripper, but the head of the establishment still requires somewhat skanky uniforms for servers -to the tune of short plaid skirts, mid-drift exposing T-shirts and way-too-high-heels. And, unfortunately, she ends up running around on rooftops late at night in this ridiculous outfit. Brimming with biting wit, quirky comments, wild occurrences and realistic issues, Verity is probably one of my favorite heroines in literature ever. I love her honest conflicts laced with quirky comments and high-paced action.

Oh, the action. Discount Armageddon is certainly never short on action. It seemed like at virtually every turn there was something new and exciting going on that kept the plot constantly moving forward. And it only helps that this is set in such a unique and compelling world that has a lot of potential to grow into something incredible. And where Toby Daye has started to become a little stale, Verity has swooped in with something truly refreshing and downright fun.

I truly cannot offer enough praise for this book.

2.0 out of 5 stars "Discount Armageddon?" No. Try Discount Bin Urban Fantasy., September 22, 2012
As a rabid fan of urban fiction (and even bigger fan of GOOD urban fiction) it's difficult to find writers and series that you enjoy. Sadly, the not-so-good stuff outnumbers the good stuff by a rather large margin. Discount Armageddon is the former, and not-so-good.

In Discount Armageddon, it feels like McGuire is trying -very- hard to put a hip, chick lit (think a young, ballsy/snarky Carrie Bradshaw meets Buffy meets Van Helsing) spin on Urban Fantasy, which is something I can appreciate--not the chick lit so much, but the risk of trying something new-ish to shake things up a bit with an, I'll admit, it's interesting heroine and premise, but the promise doesn't deliver. The book itself is pretty flat, not funny or engaging--if you have to push yourself to keep reading with the hopes that something might pick up or hook you, that's a bad sign.

If I had listened to my gut after the first chapter I could have saved myself the trouble of finishing this book, and still had the same overall impression of it.

*Minor first chapter spoiler* Verity Price, our novel's heroine, hunts down a ghoul that's been killing and eating more than a Baker's Dozen of young women in the dance clubs of New York. Before our ghoul can make a snack of his next victim our hero intervenes, saves the girl, BUT... SHE LETS THE GHOUL LIVE? Excuse me? (I had to reread it twice) This creature of the night has been killing girls and all our heroine does is tell it to get out of New York. That's it. What?! Despite the fact that this creature has killed, will most definitely kill again... and all she does is tell it to leave town, even though it is within her means to exact revenge and prevent the future loss of innocent life. This, of course, begs the obvious question: IF YOU WEREN'T GOING TO KILL THE GHOUL THEN WHY GO TO THE TROUBLE OF TRACKING IT DOWN? So stupid.

Yeah... no. Check please! I'm sorry, but if you're trying to sell me on the hero of your book, you don't let murders go free for no reason in the first chapter. Fail.

This isn't Discount Armageddon's only offense, oh no. I could go on-and-on (look at other 1 to 3 star reviews for more), but I'm not gonna waste anymore of my time on this book by illuminating all of it's faults or missteps.

I would recommend this book ONLY if you happened to be stuck on a long flight with little else to entertain you, or similar situation in which several hours need to be eaten up, but nothing else is available, including taking a nap.

2.0 out of 5 stars Boring and Blah, May 11, 2012
I will start off by saying I love Seanan McGuire's other series so was really looking forward to this one. I put this book down twice and read two other books because I found it to be so boring. Do I need to know about the different types of Ballroom Dancing and different dances. Nope. Dominic is so boring that if I was in conversation with him I would be looking for an escape. I did love the interaction between Verity and each member of her family. It just wasn't worth the money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun and Funny, July 26, 2013
This was my first Seanan McGuire novel, and it did not disappoint.

What I Liked:
* Witty humor
* Strong female lead
* Believably flawed but likable characters
* Lots of action
* The fight scene in the strip club with the rhythm controlled by music - sheer brilliance

What I didn't like:
* Male lead seems a little extra dense when faced with obvious counters to his beliefs
* Male lead's attraction seems more believable than female lead's attraction to him. Surprising, since it's in first person from the female lead's perspective.
* Sex was fade to black. I like mine more explicit.

Would I recommend? Yes - if you like fun & witty action-packed urban fantasy with strong female leads, you'll enjoy this read.

3.0 out of 5 stars October Lite (SPOILERS), April 26, 2012
I was thrilled to see this at my local bookstore and snatched it up immediately. I had just re-read the October Daye series and happily dove into this promising-looking new series.

Unfortunately, I hit bottom way earlier than I expected. October is a wonderfully crafted heroine: smart, tough, vulnerable, sassy, and human (even if mostly Fae). Verity Price...isn't.

There's a LOT to love about this book; it appears Ms McGuire had a lot of ideas somewhat more lighthearted than could be worked into the October-verse. This is a fast fun read, but a couple jarring notes stop me from giving it that coveted 4th star, even though I'll probably re-read this a few times and will follow the series.

First and foremost, which actually colored the entire book for me: we meet the adult Verity while she's hunting for a serial killer; a ghoul snacking on young female club-goers. Of course Verity manages to find and defeat him, and after she has him whimpering on the ground...she lets him go. Oooh-kay. Gosh, a monster who noshes on young women and she basically shakes her finger in its face and says, "Bad ghoul! Go elsewhere! And I better not hear about you eating any more humans or I'll...um...I'll shake my finger at you some more!" Sorry, that put her firmly into the laughable heroine camp and any sympathies she may inspire with her point of view on species-relations falls completely flat for the rest of the book. Seriously, you can't believe Verity gives a damn about humans at all; I suspect the only reason she's involved in the main story is because if the main threat succeeds, she'd have to move back with her family.

Secondly...the fight scenes are not...engaging. Trying to find the right word there. For someone as supposedly highly skilled as Verity, she can't hold onto or use a weapon to save her life, seems like. I stopped trying to keep track of how many weapons she loses after the first fight...never mind the fact she specifically mentions thigh holsters numerous times and uses a gun once, I think. Yes, Verity, fearless monster hunter: lets bring a knife and a telescoping baton to a fight against a dozen lizard-men-things and forget packing serious firepower.

Third...Verity was trained, apparently since birth, by her family to kick butt and take names. Since her family is formerly associated with the Covenant and concerned with keeping their survival secret, one would assume the Covenant has some pretty hard-core traditions and training for its members, too. Yeah, not so's you'd notice. Verity manages to make the Dark & Dangerous Covenant Agent look pretty pathetic, which didn't ring true for me. It's mentioned several times the Covenant has access to knowledge and research Verity only wishes she had, and he was sent in as an advance scout. He should be the best of the best. Instead he comes off as a kid who read too many comic books.

Lastly: Verity gets caught in a snare trap on a rooftop in NYC, which one would think more suited to working in the forest primeval, but okay. Now, she's a dancer and flexible and strong and also carrying knives. She did mention not wanting to cut the rope and drop on her head, okay. And she can't grab the rope because there's stinging slime on it. Um...take off your shirt? It's not burning through your sock, lady: take off your shirt, wrap your hand, grab rope, cut rope, drop to ground. Nope, she decides to hang out for a good while.

October Daye is in my Top Five List of Awesome Heroines. Verity's not October by a long shot, but the Aesling mice and Verity's coworkers make this worth the purchase price twice over. Just consider Verity the slightly annoying not-too-bright girl you hang out with because she has memberships to all the cool clubs.

2.0 out of 5 stars Bleh, June 9, 2012
Amazon Customer (Tyler, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
I love the October Daye novels, but this one just didn't move me. Too much in it doesn't make any sense, and the world building seems kind of sloppy. The heroine's family lets every murderous creature get a second chance, just because there's no evidence they ever ran into it before? Really? So a ghoul whose human body count is in double digits gets a do-over? The heroine seemed too young and irresponsible to be let out of the house, and it just grated.