5.0 out of 5 stars Not religious, but Spiritual
My first review of this book was written in 2002. Three years later and I still highly recommend this book to people who are new on the spiritual journey as well as those who are "advanced students". I use that term loosely as I feel that the only advances we ever really make are those in terms of consciousness.

There was one review that said this book was too...
Published on December 27, 2005 by John P. Morgan

1.0 out of 5 stars A book written by a "Bible Monkey"
This edition with a black cover is somehow different from the same titled and authored book with a white background and orange cover? I wrote my opinion of his work there so if you're interested in this book and want to know why another person (3 others, to date?) would discourage you from 'diving in,' check it out.

I will, however, reveal (both here and...
Published 17 months ago by Mr. Charles P. Wenzel

5.0 out of 5 stars Not religious, but Spiritual, December 27, 2005
This review is from: Discover the Power Within You: A Guide to the Unexplored Depths Within (Paperback)

There was one review that said this book was too religious. I think that Butterworth uses a lot of terms associated with the Christian religion but in no means does it make this book "religious". Butterworth stresses that Jesus is not the great exception but the great example.

I can see where the reader may have gotten a tad scared because there is a tendency on the part of some spiritual seekers to want to do away with anything that has to do with Jesus and Christianity. But I feel that the Christian religion is not truly based on the real message of Jesus. Creeds and Dogma and rites and ceremonies came after Jesus left the scene. Let us remember that Jesus himself was not a Christian at all, but a Jew who plumbed the depths of the Torah and had a revelation so magnificent that he wanted to share it with all.

Jesus discovered that there is a Power within all of us. Read your Bible, people! He said, "What I have done, you can do likewise and even greater things than these..." People don't want to hear that because that means we now have an inner responsibility to committ to but let us also remember that it is never we, ourselves, that do the work but the "Father within". Does a seed know how to turn into a flower? Does a caterpillar know how to turn itself into a butterfly? Do we, in all our supposed knowledge, really know how to turn bread, milk, and cheese into bones, muscle, and living tissue? If we are truly honest with ourselves we will come to the awareness that we do not, but something does and we can surrender to that Power not out of sheer defeat, but out of a boundless joy that we did not create our lives, Something greater did and It is this Something greater that lives, moves, and has all of Its Being in us, as us.

This book reminds us on every page that ONLY GOD is to be relied upon. It's a tough concept to do, and yet God in Its Infinite Love never judges us and condemns us for slipping up as we are so apt to do.

If you have grown tired of all the religious dogma, if you feel beat down by all the religious folk who say they know Jesus but still talk of hate, hell, and the devil, then come to your-SELF...come to your God SELF and let the Power within release you of fear and return you to a place of peace.

May Love guide our thoughts, our words, and our deeds.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Healing Experience, July 4, 2002
In 1987, I was literally at rock bottom in my life. I just felt devoid of all things good. As I would soon learn...or maybe the more appropriate word here is, 'remember'...nothing really happens by chance... "To everything there is a season; a time to every purpose under Heaven.." (Ecclesiastes 3:1) and I discovered the classic book "Discover the Power Within You". Coming from a traditional religious background, I was a little shocked at some of Butterworth's statements and yet something rang deep within my soul that felt familiar and comfortable. I began to feel as though there really was a purpose in my life and that God really was within me and all around at every moment in my Life...even at the lowest moments in my life. Fifteen years after reading this classic book, I still turn to it now and again and everytime I read it, I find some new jewel within its pages. It's not the words themselves that are healing; it is the implications behind the words that truly heal.
Let yourself heal and reveal the Glory of God within you with the help of this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME!, October 13, 2000
By A Customer
This book reviews the lessons Jesus Christ came here to teach, however these lessons are disected and recast with the underlying philosophy that: *we are all the sons and daughters of God, *that we are invinsible beyond measure, *that the Kingdom of heaven is right here and now, and *that within us lies the power and divinity necessary to achieve any dream we can conceive of.
Written with PROFOUND clarity and deep insight, it blows away the prevailing beliefs held by "conventional" Christians over the past 2000 years by revealing that we live in a Universe where there is only love.
The entire book is INSPIRATIONAL, although the most exciting chapter is "The Miracle of Abundance".
Thank you Eric Butterworth for such a masterpiece!

5.0 out of 5 stars Discover The Power Within You, January 2, 2000
Steve Vogel (Richardson, Texas) - See all my reviews
Eric Butterworth's book Discover The Power Within You is fantastic! It lifts the veil of mystery from the spiritual experience. His message is simple and clearly stated, that if we will just excercise the power we all have in us by going within and communing with God, then we will no longer have discord in our lives. It is one of the most profound and moving books that I have ever read. I highly recommend it for anyone who is willing to take personal responsibility for their lives and wishes to co-create with God. Butterworth brings forth Jesus' beautiful message that we are all Gods (John 10:34) - not one more special or powerful than another. We need simply to WAKE UP! and recognize our own innate divinity.

5.0 out of 5 stars To INSPIRE, you must first CONNECT., August 9, 2001
Without any doubt, there`s a love / hate relationship with this book, depending on your past, your outlook, your ability to be "open minded", etc... Many readers/reviewers (as you`ll see below) give proof to this statement.
This book connected me to live an inspiring life.
The actuality is that religion is simply based on individuals experiences. Christianity is nothing but this. Jesus had some profound experiences he felt were so important that he must share them with all he could, this led to the formation of Christianity and unfortunately others experiences distorted Jesus` original message and the Catholic Church formed.
What Butterworths books do is try to capture the pure essence of Jesus` teachings before they were contaminated. His opinions will surely anger, baffle and frustrate the closeminded theologian. (What else is new?) For those of you who question, who search and who have not found what you were looking for in the Catholic Church, this book answers those questions as well as helps to redirect your energies, your prayer life & your role in life. What you`ll find is that you already are what you`re looking for. Are you ready?
Many Catholics will greatly appreciate Butterworths books and many will despise. The people vote with their feet though. Look around, more people get their spiritual nourishment from Oprah than sitting in a pew listening to a priest who has failed to connect. Discover the Power Within will surely connect you to that place Jesus found.
Namaste!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent spiritual guidebook, September 25, 2004
As a "Cafeteria" Catholic (choosing only parts of the religion that I believe and ignoring the others) this book struck a definite chord with me. I have long felt that organized religion and the Catholic church in particular had hijacked Jesus' teachings. Modern churches have made it so that the focus of religion is the church when the focus should be and should always have been on the teachings of Jesus. Discover the Power Within You explains Jesus' teachings in great detail and explains how Jesus' purpose was to teach mankind that the Kingdom of God is within each of us. It explains misinterpreted parts of the bible and explains how religion has become a religion ABOUT Jesus instead of Jesus' teachings. Truly eye opening and thought provoking. For those on a spiritual journey and unsure what religion is for you, read this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars www.valderbeebeshow.com, March 4, 2006
Reading Discover the Power Within You, did not change my life. It changed me!

Valder Beebe, Editor

After purchasing Discover the Power Within You in 2002, I read a few pages. I put the book away, somewhere. As 2005 is coming to a close, I need more insight into my life, more clarity into the power within me. As my soul screamed these things, Discover the Power Within You: A Guide to the Unexplored Depths Within simply reappeared in my line of sight.

In reading Discover the Power Within You your spirit will either be delighted or offended by the great truths that are presented. This is not a light read. Discover the Power Within You has the potential to touch your soul and change you as you encounter in the book greater views on: Jesus' Unique Concept of God, From Miserable Sinners To Master, The Amazing Be Attitudes, Your Thought Is Your Life, The Law of Nonresistance, The Forgotten Art of Prayer, Sufficient Unto Today, The Law of Compensation, How God Forgives, Jesus' Formula For Healing, The Miracle of Abundance, In Defense of Judas, The Great Demonstration, Did Jesus Teach Reincarnation, When Shall The Kingdom Come?

As we move into a new year (2006)and before you make those New Year's resolutions to make changes in your life, read Discover the Power Within You: A Guide to the Unexplored Depths Within.

About the Author

Eric Butterworth's philosophy was spiritual and a living Truth. Other books by the author: Spiritual Economics, Celebrate Yourself, In the Flow of Life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Eric Butterworth has transformed my life, August 29, 1999
By A Customer
Butterworth's understanding of the principles of Unity is terrific. When one realizes that we are one with the Divine and that as such we can tap into that unlimited Divine Mind--like we hook onto the Internet with our computers-- (thourgh praise and thanksgiving) is awsome. His explanations of how we can take control of our life (health and happiness) and affairs thourgh affirmations is truly rediscovering what Jesus knew: To control our lives we must surrender our egos and let God take control. "Seek first the kingdom of God and all else you need will be given to you." As Butterworth says in the prologue: According to Hindu legend humans so abused their divinity that the chief god, Brahma, decided to take it away and hide it. Brahma called the lesser gods to a council to decide on the best place to hide man's divinity. But no ideas seemed foolproof until Brahma realized the perfect place was to put it deep within the human, where she/he would never think to look. And ever since, humans has been searching for their divinity everywhere but inside themselves. Then, 2000 thousand years ago Jesus discovred it. And he used it and taught others how to discover and use this tremendous power. I have a poster that states "Good morning. This is God. I will handle all your problems today. I won't need your help. So have a great day." This I have found to be the truth. And Butterworth shows how to let God take over.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW... a Life Changing Book, March 2, 2000
By A Customer
I have been meaning to write a review of this book since the first day I received it, but today, after picking it up, and rereading it for like the 6 th time, I finally decided to, because its such an important book, in helping us understand how to deal with life. Whether your problems concern relationships, money, or whatever this book can help you . It centers on Jesus' teachings, and reveals truths to you that can help you rise above any situation if applied. I also have two of his other books, and plan to get the ones I don't have soon. I highly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars started my journey, June 20, 2004
A friend gave me this book as a gift, as it had been given to him as one. Having no idea what to expect I figured 'why not?'. Once I started this incredible book I only became more amazed with each page. This one book laid the foundation for my current spiritual beliefs and started me on the quest for more/different spiritual perspectives. This book refers often to the Bible but not in a traditional way. Mr. Butterworth essentially says that Jesus was simply a living testament to the power within us all. Jesus and other 'masters' were no better than anyone else, they simply expressed the highest and truest 'self'. I love this book also because it is very practical. Each idea that is presented is given examples of how to apply the principle in everyday life. My favorite chapter is entitled 'Your thought is your life'. There is also an excellent chapter on prayer. I keep this book in my car, so that whenever I need a good read it is right there. This book truly changed my life 'god is nowhere'.

Discover the Power Within You: A Guide to the Unexplored Depths Within
Discover the Power Within You: A Guide to the Unexplored Depths Within by Eric Butterworth (Paperback - August 14, 1992)
Used & New from: $0.01