on August 20, 2009
Format: Paperback
What can I say about this book? Eric Butterworth was a legend in the Unity movement. He was a Unity minister for many, many years. For those of you not familiar with Unity, this is not a problem. You can still glean so much knowledge and advice from this book. The insights and Truth that is found in these pages will change your life! This book really speaks to the true nature of Jesus the Christ and who he really was. What is Christ Consciousness? And what are princples of Truth? What does the Bible say about reincarnation? Past lives? How do we live to our true, full and glorious potential? All these questions are answered in this book. This book really helps us to 'come up higher' and listen to that 'still, small voice' inside us. It teaches us that all God wants for us is ultimate good! It teaches us about Divine Order and how God is constantly working with us to help us reach our highest good! Oprah has read this book and was moved. Maya Angelou writes a beatiful preface, calling Butterworth her mentor and spiritual teacher. Even if you have never heard of Unity, don't let that discourage you from reading this book. Who knows? Maybe you'll be more interested in Unity after this book and want to learn more! This is truly a life-changing book and has changed the way I think about our brother and way-shower, Jesus. This is a must read!
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 11, 2013
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
This motivational, inspirational, spiritual, enlightening and mind expanding book was written about "What did Jesus really teach?" It is based on the teachings of Charles and Myrtle Fillmore, founders of the Unity Movement, and "Lessons in Truth" by Emilie Cady. Although anyone from any religious background can practice the Unity principles, the interpretation of Bible and Jesus's teachings in this book and "Lessons in Truth" are quite different than mainstream Christianity.

It is interesting that when I checked the reviews, there were two people who gave one star to this book. The first person didn't like it because "it was too religious" and the other one claimed "there was not enough religion in it." Unity is called "spirituality without dogma" and the Unity publications are highly motivational writings intertwined with metaphysical Christianity. Unity principles, also the content of this book, are as follow:

1. God is love, all good and the only source of our prosperity (Prosperity includes our emotional, mental, and spiritual as well as physical needs). He is omnipotent, omniscience and omnipresent.
2. Humans are made in God's image. Therefore, we all have Holy Spirit living in us.( the Divinity of Man)
3. What we dwell on is what we bring more of in our lives. Positive thinking brings positive results. (Energy flows where mind goes)
4. In order to be healthy mentally, physically and spiritually, we need to be connected to our Creator with regular prayer.
5. Affirmative prayer (Instead of pleading and bargaining with God, being grateful and thanking God for the answered prayer before it is answered) brings positive results.

If you are working on personal-growth and spiritual enlightenment, this is the book for you. However if you take Bible literally and think your way is the only way to God, this book may offend you. I have learned a lot from reading this book including the following :

Jesus was not born on December 25 in the beginning year of the Christian calendar but in August in 4 B.C.
The Council of Necaea was called by Constantine in A.D. 325 to determine a definition of God acceptable to all, " like union-management negotiation" to secure political unity. After "a bitter struggle", God was made three persons: Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
The doctrine of "original sin" did not come from Jesus' teachings but a concept created as a reaction to "Gnostic Christians"
According to the recorded history, early Christians taught reincarnation as a doctrine of the church until the Council of Constantinople in A.D. 325. (St. Francis of Assisi and St. Augustine)

There are also very entertaining sections in the book such as "What was Jesus's last name?", "Was Jesus a Christian?", "Did Jesus intend to start a new religion named for Himself?", and "Is God a Christian?" as well as the thought provoking chapter: "In Defense of Judas." If you like this book, you will love "Lessons in Truth" by Emilie Cady, better yet "Complete Works of Emilie Cady".
on January 19, 2013
Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase
I am enjoying this book but not loving it.

Lets get the negative point out of the way: I have never been a fan of religion; I have tried visiting many different sects of Christianity (RC, Anglican, Baptist, Lutheran, and more) but have always felt the "sermons" to be more about "man the sinner, the fallible creature who can never be good enough until he is dead, and finally gets to go to Heaven". Who wants to grow up hearing negative crap like that? It conditions your brain to see yourself as lacking potential, missing something, bad. "Original sin" is probably the most psychologically and everlasting damage the church could ever instill in its congregation. We should be told of our infinite potential for everything, the blessings and the goodness within us, our abilities to achieve all that Jesus achieved and more (as Jesus told people was possible). But that doesn't happen in traditional church and that has never sat well with me. If you don't give a flower sunlight and water, the most precious gifts from god, the flower dies. Humans are the same.

So, while reading this book there are times when Butterworth comes across as a "minister" and that gets my "ego up". I started to turn away from the wise words within. But that is my problem, and once I realized that it was happening, I could use the "gap" I have learned to create between action and reaction, picture myself doing that or thinking it, and then choose NOT to react in my traditional way.

Once I did that, the beauty of this book was opened up to me, and the path to a higher understanding was cleared for me.

God, The Universe, Force, whatever you want to call it, acted through me, to help me see things differently. God didn't *give* me clear sight; it wasn't a "gift", or an "offer" for being a good boy. I don't believe that God works that way. In fact I really don't believe in the Christian concept/belief/guess of "God". Not the god of traditional Christian doctrine anyway. The words of Jesus, what Jesus was trying to convey, and the interpretations of the religion OF Jesus, as opposed to the current religion ABOUT Jesus by the trained storytellers in the traditional Christian churches (ie. priests, ministers, etc) just don't seem to mesh right for me. And they never have. To me.

But the explanations/interpretations in this book make a lot more sense to me.

So we lose one star due to the activated ego caused by the sometimes, "I the minister say unto thee..." (he never says that of course) feeling of this book.

The fantastic four stars are explained below:

Butterworth explains many of the quotes used in the bible in a way that my skeptical mind can understand. I have never found the teachings of the church particularly compelling, nor have I been able to accept them easily. Jesus as a man I can understand. Jesus as a prophet, a learned and enlightened man I can agree to. But Jesus as incarnate God, going about tossing out "gifts" from God left right and center has always been tough for me to swallow.

Butterworth's explanations of HIS church's interpretations (Unity Church) make much more sense to me. For example when Jesus had to pay the Roman taxes he told Peter to go and catch a fish and in the fish's mouth would be a gold coin. And so it was. Taken literally it sounds kind of silly, but when we understand that this was and still is an expression, a metaphor of "riches through work" we can begin to see a realistic situation: "Peter go and do your job, work hard, apply your trade, your skills and use your mind to catch a load of fish. Then go to the market and sell the fish. We can pay the taxes with your profits." These are the words of a wise man to a man who is panicking and has forgotten that within himself he has all the knowledge and skill to overcome the challenge at hand.

Butterworth also discusses the meaning of heaven on earth, God within us, looking into ourselves to find God (as opposed to God being some personal relationship, some extraterrestrial being, "out there"), and also the natural Divinity of Man.

I don't believe this can be called self-worship; the author clearly is trying to show us if God is everywhere, then God is also within us, as well as without. This is an explanation trying to show we mortal creatures that if we work hard, if we challenge ourselves, if we always seek the higher path, choose the Good for the Great, and understand that we are not born in sin, but rather born in Love and God's grace therefore have the chance to strive with our own hard efforts to grow and tap into our god-given divinity, then we have the chance to become better people and we have the opportunity to live in the Kingdom of heaven right now. Right here.

The Unity Church has a different take on the translation of the ancient words of Jesus, compared to traditional church interpretations. I would not say one is right and one is wrong, and neither should anyone jump to that conclusion. Because the Bible, and the words inside are millennia old, have been translated back and forth from so many languages and between people with so many different opinions that nobody can rightfully claim that one version is right and the others are wrong. What is important is the message, and how the message makes sense to YOU.

Many miracles occur in the words, the story in the bible. But couldn't they just be something that happened, that the people of thousands of years ago couldn't explain? After all, gravity was a miracle of God at one time, but now we know it is just a Scientific Law. A miracle isn't necessary a gift from god that SHe gives to some and not to others. Were that so, then it would mean that God was selective, and God liked to play favourites. That does not sound at at all like a God of infinite love.

For the traditional Christian, this book might be a bit tough, because it very well could challenge the beliefs your church, and the men and women who have worked there instilled in you through their interpretation of the Bible. On the other hand, it might help you to see a little bit more clearly into the religion OF Jesus, instead of traditional doctrine which focuses on the religion ABOUT Jesus. It doesn't HAVE to be "supernatural" things going on in the bible; after all, Jesus taught that we are able to attain a similar understanding to him, if we followed the right way.

For the non-believer, or undetermined believer, the words of Jesus and his disciples, when taken out of "miracle context" make a HUGE amount of sense and can really open your eyes so that you understand your spiritual, divine self even more. This is a good thing as it helps us to really see that we can give thanks, love, gratitude and appreciation for what we have now, and expand that to encompass others naturally while focusing on improving ourselves, making our lives richer, healthier and more spiritually satisfying, which leads to a much healthier and happier outlook on the world, our current situations and challenges.

This is a good book as it helps me to grow, and to understand myself even better; the potential within me and also that which exists within every other human born and yet to be born flows from deep within. And that deep spot is where God resides.

One final word: what really matters most, I think, is the good things you take away from this book. If the information in here helps you to see things even a little more clearly, expands your horizons a tiny amount, leads you to to become even a fraction better, and points you in a good direction THAT MAKES SENSE TO YOU, then the book and the words within have value. And meaning.

I Am.

And I love you.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 23, 2006
Format: Hardcover
This book started me on a path to spiritual truth. It built my confidence level and I made a quantum leap in my life since reading this book. My favourite chapter is the one on forgiveness. it freed me

Cheryl from Trinidad
on December 13, 2009
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
I have been on book reading binge for the past 6 years, for pure enjoyment, and mostly spiritual growth. This book was possibly the most enlightening, and enjoyable books I've read in recent years. It doesn't come off as being preachy, but it has opened my eyes and heart. I feel the world would be a much nicer place to live if everyone took the time, and really read this book.
on July 14, 2011
Format: HardcoverVerified Purchase
I have ordered this book many times over the past 2 years for classes I teach in church. It is the best book for anyone wanting to understand the difference between standard Christianity and Unity or even New Thought. Rev. Butterworth strips away the embellished teachings about Jesus so that the reader can understand what Jesus actually taught. It's all in the Bible, but centuries of distortion have colored how we understand Jesus' teachings even as we see them in print. Read it, and you will forever understand Jesus in a whole new way.

A comment about Amazon. When I want something, I always check Amazon first because not only do they usually have it, they usually have it at the very best price. I have never used Ebay or anything like it because of the sometimes rediculously low prices I can get from Amazon. It's not just books. I have even gotten big screen projection lamps at the best price at Amazon.
on October 18, 2012
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
This book is simply amazing! If you believe in a higher power but lack a deeper, more profound understanding of how to be truly "connected" to your spirituality in your day to day life, this book is for you! In my experience, so much of spirituality was action based with reward in the afterlife prior to reading this book. Now, I have been made aware of my ability to walk the spiritual walk, in terms of my deeds, while connecting directly to God today. The missing connection is all about a state of mind and being that begins the moment you flip the switch in your mind to take your personal relationship with God into your own hands. I love that every example is followed with scriptures to support it and how Butterworth breaks down concepts, corrects some biblical myths/misinterpretations, and offers insight from others who have influenced his perspective and journey. Feel empowered, refreshed, and ready to face this new world; new because you'll view it through unveiled eyes. Now my spiritual journey has a new direction and focus that I can control because I now understand how to navigate not just the beginning and the end of the journey, but how to navigate this difficult world in between those points. I have been given the tools that I need and a new foundation to build upon moving forward. I highly recommendation this book!
on January 19, 2011
Format: HardcoverVerified Purchase
This book is a classic of the Unity School of Christianity or of metaphysical Christian philosophy. In my view, it states, very succinctly, the goal of the spiritual life--to discover the power within you.
on May 29, 2011
Format: Paperback
Eric Butterworth shows us the way to a rich and rewarding life: dogma free! Thank you! And, if you like this book, check out the website on Truth that allows you to download Eric's class on metaphysics for free. The 8 week class is a mindblower! May you consciously live in God!
on May 20, 2013
Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase
I really enjoyed this book and that came as a surprise to me. Although I was brought up in the Christian faith for the past 45 years I have been away from it due to the dogma.
The author leads you to an understanding of Jesus without the formality and restrictions usually attached to organized religion. Through this book I am taking another look and it has resonated with me. It may be what I was searching for without even knowing that I was.
I would recommend this book.