5.0 out of 5 stars Practical information that is easy to implement
Published on August 16, 2000 by Carla van Holsteijn

3.0 out of 5 stars Helpful, but I needed more ...
This book was good, but I do wish that the authors would go into more detail with regards to specific products and learning styles.
Published on April 16, 2003

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical information that is easy to implement, August 16, 2000
I homeschool my children and found myself frequently frustrated because I felt I was not relating to them. I figured a difference in our dispositions and styles lay at the root of the problem, but I didn't know what to do about it until I read this book and had everyone in our family complete the Learning Style Profile Assessment. This tool is very easy to complete and it truly shows you how each person is a unique individual! I had read other books on learning styles, but this one is by far the most thorough and practical. After completing the assessments, we sat down as a family to compare our results. This "family meeting" was eye opening for everyone. It was a way to learn about each other and to start to appreciate each other in a new way. We learned that we can draw on each other's strengths and learn from each other. It also showed me that I had chosen all of our curriculum based on my own learning style. Not surprisingly, my children's styles are different than mine. I'm excited about the new school year, because I've ordered curriculum that hopefully will more closely match their learning styles. I'm confident that this year we will have a much more rewarding and exciting school year, because my children will be learning in their own style.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally... a book that says it the way it should be!, December 4, 1999
Valerie Kahle (Fallbrook, California) - See all my reviews
I am so thrilled that someone finally showed us how to teach our kids in a way that actually means they'll learn something other that how to pass a test. Until now only a professional could tell you what learning style was best for your child. Now you can do it yourself and tailor your school day to fit your own needs. This is an absolute must for homeschooling parents but parents of children in traditional schools will benefit as well. Did I mention that the book is reader friendly too? It's definitely one of the easiest "how to" books I've ever read. A must for any parents library!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating Insights, December 6, 1999
This book is very well written. The exercises are easy to follow and provide fascinating insights. My two favorite quotes from the book are: Grades and percentiles are conveniences that maintain a system, and Wallpushing is counterproductive no matter how hard, how creatively, or how often you push. The part of the book that will be most helpful with my 16-year-old is that he really does need the television on in order to study effecitvely, and he would do even better on tests if he had some backgroud noise. He told me when the tension gets too high with absolute silence, he drops his pencil to break the tension. For my 13-year-old I learned that if he reads instructions out loud, he will be better able to understand them. This will save both of us lots of frustration from now on.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books I've read this year, January 21, 2001
By A Customer
This book is an eye opener. While I don't always agree with everything that the authors assert, it provides a fresh new way of looking at learning that makes parents take a strong look at whether the "standard" way of learning is the "right" way for their child. I gave the simple tests included in the book to everyone in my family. It has given us a lot of food for thought on how we can modify our styles at home to make learning more fun and easy. When I teach a class now, I am more aware of the individuals' differing learning style and more receptive to the differing needs and try harder to make individual modifications. Now when my daughter flits around the room when I am reading to her I don't get frustrated that she isn't "paying attention" but understand her need for movement. Buy it. Enjoy it. Use it!

5.0 out of 5 stars A tool chest for the parents of a struggling learner, May 24, 2004
What I found of great value in this book:
A) Encouragement: there is more than one way for people to learn and remember information. My child is not dumb just because she is failing to thrive in a traditional classroom invironment. Most of us are multisensory learners. Some of us are stifled by florescent lights, schedules, the rigorous pace, and sitting up straight at desks all in a row listening to lectures. However, this book is not about forcing our newfound ideas on our teachers, but rather assessing whether our current school or another would serve us better. It's about finding a school and/or a curriculum that fits my child and planting them in soil where they will thrive. That might mean homeschooling, or after-school tutoring.
I am blessed to live in a public-school-of-choice school district. We have a diversity of schools and curriculums to choose from. This book was invaluable in helping us make that choice.
B) Information: What is my child's learning style? Here is a quiz to figure that out! Are there curriculums out there that were designed just for her specific learning style that also have a proven success record? Here is a whole list in each subject area!
In addition to the book the authors also have a web site, monthly newsletter, and training seminars to help us to stay inspired, motivated, encouraged, and helped.
This book has been a tremendous help to our family and will be to yours as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Discover Your Child's Learning Style, December 2, 1999
Discover Your Child's Learning Style is the most helpful information I have found both as a parent and a professional. I immediately understood how each of my children is best able to learn and used the ideas in the book to create the best learning environment to support each of them. It has relieved so much of my stress with homework and helped my children excel in school that I always share this information with the parents in my parenting classes. Every parent of school age children should read this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars very profound information, deceptively simple, May 24, 2004
By A Customer
The amazing thing to me is how accurately this book's deceptively simple test pinpointed our son's "learning styles" and showed us something new about him, new insights about who he is - essentially. This information has helped us understand so much better what he is about and what he NEEDS. He is a person who hasn't had trouble with school except for finding it
restrictive and a bore, lest anyone think that this information is only for people who are having problems in school or have "learning disabilities"(i.e. different ways of learning...personally I don't believe in "learning disabilities". There are so many examples like the brilliant
mega-genius mathemetician who doesn't know the alphabet and can't use the phone book...) Very profound information in this book. Deceptively simple. Changed my life.

4.0 out of 5 stars From bell-curve to uniqueness, February 20, 2001
George Zee (www.frzee.org, Hong Kong) - See all my reviews
This is a compassionate book helping parents and teachers to affirm that "...your child is a wonderfully gifted and capable human being, who has a unique life purpose to share with the world that no one else has." (p. 195). The authors have distilled much practical wisdom from their extensive experience and reading. They successfully share that with the readers through assessment tools to help us discover the child's predominance in 5 dispositions, 12 talents, interests, thinking modality and environment factors. I like most the numerous boxes of quotes and statements. The assessments, reference charts, resource exercises are best used on individual basis. But it would be hard for teachers to implement them if you believe in the quote from Peter Kline: "If you add up the amount of undivided individual attention most students get during their twelve years in school, it probably comes to about three to six school days' worth." (p.6) The rationale underlying the choice of 5 dispositions and 12 talents is not too clear. Are there well-established personality and cognitional theories? How do the talents differ from multiple intelligences? Howard Gardner only came round to recognising 8 and half intelligences. If we put aside such technical issues, this book is an excellent introduction in fostering our positive regard and respect for each child's genius and unique differences.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ban-The-Bell Curve!..., March 26, 2004
Dru Payne (Camarillo, CA United States) - See all my reviews
...or a better title for my review..."If I Knew Then, What I Know Now!" What an eye-opener this book is! The one-size-fits-all way of educating a child has GOT to change, and the information in this book is a great place to start. If parent's, teachers, educators of EVERY walk of life read this book...Wow!...what a "genuine" difference we could make!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Discover Your Child's Learning Style, December 2, 1999

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Discover Your Child's Learning Style
Discover Your Child's Learning Style by Mariaemma Willis (Paperback - July 19, 2013)
$20.45 $15.82
In stock but may require an extra 1-2 days to process.
Rate and Discover Movies