5.0 out of 5 stars An EXCITING approach to mathematics
This is an easy textbook to recommend because it made me feel excited about learning math. I studied first year Algebra a long time ago, but sometimes, like when I see a textbook such as this one, I wish I could re-live the first experience all over again and this time do it right. If I had the chance to do that then this is the book I would want to have in my hands...
Published on January 20, 2008 by Naftali/Cliff Anderson

2.0 out of 5 stars Off the Mark
Published 20 months ago by Mr. B

2.0 out of 5 stars Off the Mark, November 27, 2012
This review is from: Discovering Algebra: An Investigative Approach (Discovering Mathematics) (Hardcover)
As the sole math teacher in a small school that adopted the "Discovering" textbooks (Algebra 1, Geometry & Algebra 2), I have a lot of experience with the entire curriculum. The authors have good intentions and their aim was to create an effective textbook that focuses on Discovery learning. The Common Core Standards mandate mathematics to be taught this way. The problem with these textbooks is they focus too much on the means and not enough on the end.

Most lessons are structured around an "investigation" where the students complete an activity ultimately leading them to a new conjecture, formula, or theorem. Next, one or two difficult examples in the form of a word problem is explained to illustrate the new concept. Finally, a challenging problem follows. My biggest issue is the textbook does not explicitly state the new content to be learned. If students are absent, they cannot stay caught up in class by reading the textbook unless they complete the investigation. The examples in the book are too difficult for students to comprehend without doing easier problems first, which do not exist. The textbook also emphasizes the use of calculators and frequently asks questions in terms of calculator lingo which detracts from actual learning occurring.

The discovering series does its best to get students interested and excited about math, but it ultimately leaves them confused and frustrated. The textbooks do not prepare students for standardized tests or college math. Look elsewhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars An EXCITING approach to mathematics, January 20, 2008

There are a lot of algebra textbooks out there. A lot of them seem to be stuck back in the 1980's or worse. It's not just using color graphics such as is done in the Discovering Algebra book, but using color graphics well. It's not just building learning around a project, but designing a project around which to learn. I think anyone can come up with a project, but designing projects to get the maximum learning out of each project is what I think the authors of this textbook accomplished.

This is the textbook I would like to see translated and adopted for use in Israeli schools. It is exciting to read through and I think it would take away one of the key barriers to learning math for many students; that is that they don't see how any of what they learn in class relates to life outside of the math classroom. With this book I think they could.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not What I Expected, June 1, 2011
I expect that a book with a subtitle of "An Investigative Approach" would teach concepts through discovery learning. That is the trend for learning/teaching nowadays. In fact, this book teaches math concepts like every other math book, it just has little activities to reinforce the concepts. I wasn't that impressed by the activities, either.
What I want and can't find is a math book of discovery learning activities that help students uncover the ideas by connecting previous knowledge in a new way. I also want a book that provides meaningful, real-world applications to the concepts learned. This book isn't it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful, June 21, 2011
Dan Swanson (Newberg, OR USA) - See all my reviews
I had to use this book when I taught a large class of high school Algebra students. I soon found that the examples and exercises were very poorly done. I had to work twice as hard as a teacher to prepare meaningful lessons and assignments because the book was so poorly written.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoy learning Algebra!, October 9, 2010
I strive to instill a love of learning in my students. The Key Curriculum press books also encourage students to enjoy the learning process, to explore, to discover patterns and mathematical relationships. The book is engaging and involves the learner on every lesson.

4.0 out of 5 stars required for class, July 2, 2013
I purchased this book because it was required for my university class. It has some approaches that I have used in teaching lower level high school students.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great deal from a great seller, February 25, 2013
I wanted to purchase a copy of my son's math text so that he wouldn't need to carry his school copy back and forth. (The book is quite heavy.) So this was a great find with an excellent price and the seller shipped very quickly.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst math book I have ever come across, March 28, 2011
I had a 4.0 GPA in my math major at a top 20 private university in the U.S. and have loved solving math problems my entire life. My eighth grade son currently has the misfortune of being required by his prep school to use this book. The book is plain awful, full stop. This is the very first year my son's school has used this book, and I am going to do all I can to ensure it is the last.

Discovering Algebra: An Investigative Approach (Discovering Mathematics)
Used & New from: $0.01