Professional restaurant supplies Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon The Jayhawks Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer bschs2 bschs2 bschs2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback Learn more

on February 21, 2008
We have at least 60 or 70 cookbooks, including seven Korean cookbooks. Very few of them have provided even one recipe so successful that we replicate it year after year, so when I say that all eight of the recipes we've tried so far from this book have been truly outstanding, it's hard to believe -- especially for us.

My wife is Korean and grew up in Korea; she (of course) loves Korean food, and cooks Korean dishes frequently.

I'm not Korean, but lived in Korea for eight years; I too love Korean food and even cook it myself. We have eaten in Korean restaurants all over Korea, the U.S., and other countries, and we feel that by now we know the difference between Korean food that is excellent and that which is not.

Some of the best restaurants we used to frequent in Seoul are -- or at least were -- little holes in the wall that have thrived for a hundred or more years by specializing in only one dish, such as Komtang or Seullungtang, and maintain long-standing clienteles of fiercely loyal customers. The standards set by these restaurants for top-notch food are seldom approached in other places.

We were amazed, then, to find that the dishes we've tried from this book approximate the best we've eaten anywhere.

The recipes are easy to follow, beautifully illustrated, and delicious. If you want to cook Korean, you won't be sorry you bought this book.
on February 23, 2008
My Son-in-law is Korean and my daughter is learning to cook authentic Korean food at home. This book is both true to traditional Korean cooking and easy for a non-Korean cook to use. It does help having authentic taste buds at work in the kitchen to make sure everything tastes as it should. I purchased several books for my daughter and Son-in-law, this is the one they use.
on March 17, 2007
"Discovering Korean Cuisine" is packed with authentic Korean recipes from Korean master chefs. Loaded with wonderful colorful photographs guiding readers through each step of the recipe, plus the final result helps new cooks to this cuisine gain confidence. Also, included in this wonderful book is a brief history of Korean cuisine and how healthy it is for the consumer. Dream Character, Inc. has done it again ("A Collection of Fine Baking") by creating another quality cookbook, filled with delicious recipes that are easy-to-follow with the helpful addition of how-to photos and bringing forth Korean food! If you are worried about not being able to find some of the ingredients, fear not! Between Asian food markets and the Internet, all recipes are not only doable, but also tasty.
on February 18, 2008
As a Korean who does not know how to cook authentic Korean dishes, I've been looking for a good Korean cookbook for the last 20 years and I have yet to find one which is as great as this cookbook. As the front cover states, these are the actual recipes from the best Korean LA-area restaurants. When I first thought about that, I thought that the recipes may be too difficult. But the exact opposite is true.

First of all, they have individual pictures of each of the ingredients that will be used in the book at the beginning of the book. Since the book is written to appeal to non-Koreans as well, everything is explained to the detail. EACH recipe is illustrated, just about step-by-step. They even give you the "hints" from the pro's. It is the best!!!
on January 18, 2010
I grew up on Korean food and recently decided to try to learn to cook more. I've eaten at a ton of Korean restaurants in LA, so I was very excited to buy this book because I think the Korean food in LA in particular is excellent.

I've now tried some of the recipes from the book and the food came out okay, but clearly something was not quite right. I thought it was my cooking, but some korean friends came over and they pointed out fundamental ingredients that were missing from some of the recipes. I am skeptical that the restaurants that contributed these recipes follow what they wrote.
on September 14, 2009
I have a Korean cookbook in Korean and purchased this one for my husband since its in English. Let's just say upon reviewing the book, I realized that this cookbook contain simplified or should I say 'water down' version of the authentic recipes. If you have tasted and know a real good Korean food you will be disappointed as I was. Otherwise, you might not know the difference and might be tempted to purchase this book with its pretty pictures and flash title.
on June 9, 2008
I just got this book and its the BEST korean cookbook I have found. First of all I'm korean american and I've been looking forever and haven't found one as relevant, with all the recipes you will really use, beautiful colorful photos and how can you beat recipes from the best korean restaurants in LA?? I've been to most of them and this book has picked all the best dishes that these restaurants specialize in. I may stop my chase for anymore cookbooks because it covers all the recipes you need including kimchee! Beautiful, complete, well written like a korean martha stewart cookbook, great job finally!!!!
on July 8, 2008
This is the perfect cookbook for everything from everyday home cooking to Korean dinner parties! The recipes are straightfoward and easy to follow - I've even made two of the kimchee recipes with fantastic results! Making kimchee was always like a black-box to me--something only my mother and grandma did. But I just followed the instructions, and voila! KIMCHEE success!

I love the accompanying pictures and the picture-list of common Korean ingredients in the beginning of the book. I finally know the "American" names for some of these ingredients, which makes it easier for me to describe dishes to my friends. Anyway - I highly recommend this book!
on March 22, 2011
While the pictures are gorgeous, the cooking instructions are too vague and too brief to be useful to a non-Korean or a Korean food novice. I agree with several of the reviewers that the participating restaurants do not reveal everything. They will not give out their secrets. As a result, most recipes end up a watered-down version of the real thing. This cookbook is a disappointment and a waste of my money.
on July 19, 2008
This Korean cookbook is filled from cover-to-cover with beautiful photographs of all the traditional Korean dishes. The recipes are traditional as well and have not been modified for a Western palate. No Asian fusion here. I have purchased many of the other top-rated Korean cookbooks from Amazon.com but I consider this one probably the best so far.