5.0 out of 5 stars Not a good idea if you have kids
Published on July 17, 2005 by Aalea1

3.0 out of 5 stars Great concept but has problems.
Published on January 27, 2008 by Sweet Lady

5.0 out of 5 stars Not a good idea if you have kids, July 17, 2005
This review is from: Discovery Exclusive Whodunit? Kids Forensics Lab (Toy)
This toy is not a good idea if you have kids. They will expect to play with it and that will mean parents have to give it up. All CSI fans will LOVE this, old and young. We all had a blast and it was educational to boot. Every once in a while, a toy comes by that parents just love and this is it. I can't think of one thing wrong with the "Discovery Whodunit? Forensics Lab."

If a product can teach your child, bring the family together, and be fun at the same time, it gets an 'A plus' in my book. This is one product I highly recommend!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very cool, December 15, 2004
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Discovery Exclusive Whodunit? Kids Forensics Lab (Toy)
Last Christmas I recieved this awesome gift. For the next hour after opening presents my mom and I sat down and solved crimes. It was one of the most amazing toys I have ever recieved. It actually feels like you are somebody on CSI, but it is completely kid friendly. I love this toy, but the only down side is that once you have finished all of the crimes, you are completely done with it. I am hoping that Discovery will make a refill pack with new crimes. I highly reccomend this toy!

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, March 13, 2005
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Discovery Exclusive Whodunit? Kids Forensics Lab (Toy)
It's the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There are not enough cases, but it is super COOL. You get to do hair analysis,blood analysis (not real blood),ink analysis,fiber analysis,tire track analysis,hand writing analysis,and police codes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Six year old Scientist, March 5, 2006
This review is from: Discovery Exclusive Whodunit? Kids Forensics Lab (Toy)
I LOVE this toy. It is so cool because there is a lot of testing you can do on fibers, hair, ink, and blood. You can flip to different pages in the case book and there are codes you can crack too. I have learned a lot from it. I bet other kids would like it if they are into crime scene stuff and mysteries. I can't wait for more cases to come out because they are long, they keep you busy, and they are fun!

3.0 out of 5 stars Great concept but has problems., January 27, 2008
This review is from: Discovery Exclusive Whodunit? Kids Forensics Lab (Toy)
I have 2 sons aged 10 and 11 who received this for Christmas. They love science and games like Carmen San Diego on computer so we thought this would be great for them. It has 6 cases to work on and everything is provided to solve cases. They are pretty intelligent boys but were practically in tears when they tried to do the first case. So I sat down with them and we began to work on it. Even I was frustrated. The first case involved using a microscope. The one provided in the kit is USELESS. Luckily, we had a microscope and used that instead, but this toy is pretty expensive and to provide a cheap microscope is uncalled for.

My other frustration was the layout in the magazine of the cases. You are flipping pages around for clues and further instructions. It seems like a waste of time. They could have written the book in better story form. For example, it will say, "If you think the handwriting matches So and So, turn to page 26. If it doesn't match, turn to page 11." It would be better if each of the 6 cases had their own chapter. My sons get so confused by the lay out of the instructions.

But that said, we did case 5 today and my sons are at me to do case 6. Once we figured it out, got a better microscope, and I read the cases to them, my boys love this game. Their favorite so far is the blood analysis. They even tested their own blood to find out what blood type they were. They are in 4th and 5th grade so felt pretty superior when they told their friends about doing blood tests. I will order the refill kit when we are done with case 6.

So all in all, major frustrations with this at first but we ended up liking it. This would be a superior product if it was redone - provide a better microscope and redo the magazine with the cases. Better yet, a computer CD format would be great.

I wanted to add my long review so that another parent would know what to expect before paying big bucks for this. It's a fun science game, but you must be willing to do this with your kids if you want them to really enjoy it. And have a spare microscope available!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Absorbing Mysteries to Solve, January 18, 2007
This review is from: Discovery Exclusive Whodunit? Kids Forensics Lab (Toy)
Bought as a gift for my nephew, age 12. He soon disappeared into his room for lengthy periods of testing fabrics, fake blood etc. I admit to knowing little about the inner workings of the product, but can report that it did keep a kid who normally can't sit still for more than 5 minutes fully occupied for hours. After a few days, he was asking for the add on kits with more mysteries and fingerprinting.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love it, BUT....., February 17, 2007
This review is from: Discovery Exclusive Whodunit? Kids Forensics Lab (Toy)
I really want to give this 5 stars, but we have had major problems with the microscope this comes with. First we couldnt get the battery compartment open, and now we are having a terrible time focusing it. Did not see any instructions on the proper way to focus...nearly impossible for a 7 year old to do, considering 2 intelligent adults with science backgrounds cant do it. We have found it necessary to buy another microscope to use with it which is a shame considering how much money it cost to begin with. Having said all that, everything else is wonderful and my daughter and I are having a blast with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun, Educational and Cool, January 4, 2008
B. BERROL (Mill Valley, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Discovery Exclusive Whodunit? Kids Forensics Lab (Toy)
I saw this on sale in a Discovery Channel store and had a feeling my 7 year old son would love it. It is a very elaborate kit, and the materials are well constructed, with high-gloss printed instructions, "confidential" sealed envelopes with the answer keys, vials with hair, fiber, blood and ink "evidence" for various forensics tests. It's applied science--getting kids engaged and learning without their even realizing it. The cases are all very cool--the kids are special agents for the "Installation" (a secret government crime-fighting agency). My son absolutely loves this and we just ordered the additional cases. It is also a great activity that parents and kids can do together (and it's pretty fun for both!). This gets my highest recommendation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Soooo fun!!, December 30, 2008
This review is from: Discovery Exclusive Whodunit? Kids Forensics Lab (Toy)
My 10 year old daughter got this for Christmas this year and it is by far her favorite gift. She and her dad have been doing the cases together (she may be able to do it on her own but it is helpful to have an adult supervise). The microscope is not the best but they got it to work well enough for the cases. We just discovered that there is an extension kit with 4 more cases and we're definitely going to buy that. It is a fun and educational toy. I highly recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Kit!, December 7, 2008
janice "Janice" (Pittsburgh, PA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Discovery Exclusive Whodunit? Kids Forensics Lab (Toy)
This is a quality toy. I would only recommend it for children who have a real interest in this science, though. My husband and son did all the cases and did not require a better microscope. The one that was provided worked just fine for them. For $80.00, you aren't going to get a state of the art microscope. They both felt it was a very enjoyable activity.

Discovery Exclusive Whodunit? Kids Forensics Lab