5.0 out of 5 stars PERFECT Magazine for 7-12 Year Old Girls!!!
My 11-year-old daughter has been a subscriber for about 1 ˝ years and absolutely adores Discovery Girls. She reads it cover to cover the day it arrives in the mail. It provides a great mix of articles about issues that affect the 7-12 age group as well as fashion tips, celebrity interviews, quizzes and more - all the things the girls are looking for in a magazine! The...
Published on June 3, 2002 by Mom of a subscriber

1.0 out of 5 stars Not Worth Reading At All
I've gotten about half a dozen issues of Discovery Girls, and every time I finished reading it, I came away dissapointed. The way DG writes sounds like a popular girl or an MTV show host talking. Discovery Girls focuses far too much on boys, fashion, makeup, and celebrities. It says right on the cover, "A Magazine for girls ages 7 and up." I know that when I was 7, I did...
Published on January 31, 2005 by Maya

‹ Previous | 1 2 318 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Girls Magazine Ever!!!, May 14, 2004
Hula Mom (Tustin, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Discovery Girls (1-year) (Magazine)
This is the best girls magazine I have ever read and I've looked at almost all of them. If you are a parent who actually takes the time to teach your daughter the values of kindness, respect, compassion, and responsibility, this is the magazine for you. My daughter is 11 years old and absolutely loves it. We ordered all the back issues that they had available. I have recommended this magazine to all my friends and family with daughters. I am what Dr. Laura refers to "My kids' Mom" and we are very selective about what our four children read, watch, and play. This magazine is for and about real, wholesome, down-to-earth girls. The only negative thing I can think about this magazine is that it is published only every other month. I am hoping that one day they will change to a monthly publication.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome magazine, April 22, 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Discovery Girls (1-year) (Magazine)
This magazine is an awesome magazine for girls like me. I've tried reading YM and J-14, even Twist!, but none of them were believable. In other magazines, all they talk about is sex and underwear. Make-up as well. For younger girls (12&up), you want them to be reading a positive magazine with REAL girls instead of pretend models. I reccommend this for girls 10-13 yrs old.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for preteens, September 2, 2004
This review is from: Discovery Girls (1-year) (Magazine)
I'm 12 and I've subscribed to DG for 3 years. When I was younger, about 9, I really wanted a magazine to read that wasn't as bland as American Girl and that my mom would approve of. DG was like a dream come true for me. I loved that it was for my age group (DG readers are 7-14), and it featured real girls. Every month they go to a different state and pick 12 girls to be their "Discovery Girls." The girls model, write stories and articles, and contribute ideas. (Yesterday I found out I was chosen to be a Massachusetts Discovery Girl, which is very exciting.) Even if you aren't a Discovery Girl, you have the opportunity to write letters in or contribute stories and artwork.

I think DG is best for its younger age range, 7-10. I still enjoy reading it, but other magazines have better coverage of the stuff I really want to know about. DG provides a fun, interactive read with embarrassing moments, fashion (that you'll actually wear!), real-life stories, girls' artwork/stories/poems, "The Great Debate" where girls voice their opinions, quizzes, and more.

If you like Discovery Girls, I'd also recommend American Girl, New Moon, and (for the older readers) Girls Life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I was looking for!, December 3, 2004
This review is from: Discovery Girls (1-year) (Magazine)
I was looking for a magazine subscription a year ago for my 9 year old daughter. I wanted something geared to little girls, not a teen magazine. I wanted a magazine that discussed issues that my daughter is deeply interested in, such as animals, sports, friendships, and toys. When the new issue comes in the mail my daughter sits down and reads it cover to cover. She saves every issue and re-reads them from time to time. I will be a subscriber to this magazine for many years to come. I only wish I could find a magazine as well suited to my 6 year old son.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, November 13, 2002
This review is from: Discovery Girls (1-year) (Magazine)
I love this magazine! It is great for girls ages 8-12! It is a variety of things for girls all in one magazine! There are fashion tips, sports, celebritys, and interviews all in this magazine! The best part is it is made by girls and they travel to different states and let different girls be a part of making the magazine, so you could be in it! I definetly recommend this magazine because it is so fun to read and some parts of it are educational too!

1.0 out of 5 stars you don't want this..., January 30, 2009
This review is from: Discovery Girls (1-year) (Magazine)
Ditto on the first 1-star review (by Maya). I've read this magazine at the library and bookstores when my daughter suggested getting a subscription. If you want to promote looks, fashion, all the latest items you must buy, then you might like it. Little girls don't need to wear makeup or certain clothes to be pretty. I think they need to hear more "Beauty is as beauty does."

As mothers, we have an opportunity to guide their focus, so why not encourage less "fluff" and more substance? They get enough of that stuff from our society. I'd rather my daughter spend her time with less superficial magazines... like Muse, Ask, or Family Fun.

1.0 out of 5 stars Cover: Why would 8-12 yr old need to be A NEW YOU???, August 1, 2009
This review is from: Discovery Girls (1-year) (Magazine)
Why in the world would an 8 to 12 year old little girl need to be encouraged to be "A NEW YOU!" as the August/September 2009 cover of this magazine suggests??? What is so wrong or bad about a young girl that they need to be encouraged to change?

Haven't we learned how damaging adult feminine magazines can be to the self-esteem and perception of grown women due to the covers showing models and Hollywood stars airbrushed to perfection? A child's magazine should be positive, encouraging children/young persons to accept themselves, value their individuality and feel good about who they are now, NOT who they CAN be by reading this magazine and changing themselves in some way. I am outraged by this!

Also, what little girl aged 8, 9 or 10 years old is concerned about crushes on boys and being popular? And what parent wants their daughter to be? It's sad that those issues are more prevalent in 11 and 12 year old girl's lives, but do we have to encourage this sort of thinking?

There are reasons that young girls feel that they are valued for how they look and not how intelligent they are and it is because of messages that they receive about females and beauty all around them in their daily lives. From the Disney Princess line of perfect beauties to clothing that is sold for their young age group, which are mostly mini versions of suggestive teenage styles which are designed to get the attention of boys, young men and even grown men by being too short, low-cut and/or made of sheer see-through type of material.

Let little girls be little girls and let's expect more of our gender than to be an attractive asset. Let's teach our daughters to feel confident as they are and to accept themselves as a person, not just as a female. That will enable our girls to be valuable contributors to the world we live in for what they do as individual people: as mothers, executives, nurses, teachers, doctors, etc. not for how they look, how popular they are, etc.

~RAM

2.0 out of 5 stars Wannabe teen magazine, August 25, 2005
StarGymnast (California, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Discovery Girls (1-year) (Magazine)
I'm past the age range that this magazine recommends (8-12), but I was at the bookstore one day browsing through magazines when I came across this one and started to read it, expecting a clean, wholesome, American-Girl type magazine with no advertisements.

Well, I was wrong. Discovery Girls is nothing special and has as many advertisements as the typical teenage magazine. Plus, the topics covered in it are nothing really special, the fashion pages are lackluster, and the advice columns and such, well, SUCK. Topics in it are also sometimes inappropriate for the 8-12 age range, as well (some issues have stuff about make up, dating, and boyfriends and girlfriends. At EIGHT years old?!?)

In addition to the high price, advertisements, and age-inappropriate articles, this magazine also is, well, boring. Nothing in it is really interesting and since it's so short, you'll probably read through it really fast (not counting ads).

Save your money. If you're 8-12 years old and want a good magazine, read American Girl. It's definitely better than this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Discovery Girls Magazine is off the chain!, October 7, 2003
This review is from: Discovery Girls (1-year) (Magazine)
Discovery Girls Magazine is really cool!
It has everything in it,from school to family to friends to pets.
My fav thing about this magazine is that I can actually read it w/o my mom looking though it first! It dosen't have all those people trying to show their skin or something like that. And they have REAL girls from REAL places that we live in. And it shows that you don't have to be a size 4 to fit in. I weigh 100 pounds, but it dosen't show because I have no bodyfat but all muscle.
I also like the mailbag because they don't just put the people's letters that say good things about them, but they also put in peoples conplaints and they try to fix them.
Please! Don't make a mistake, and pick up this magazine today!
GOD BLESS!
JESUS LOVES YA!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Gift Idea, September 7, 2004
CAForster (Portland, OR USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Discovery Girls (1-year) (Magazine)
I bought this magazine for my niece for her 10 year birthday and she loves it so much she wants me to renew it for her birthday this year. Her favorite things about it are the fact that they use regular kids in the magazines, not just anorexic models and that every article isn't about how to hook up with a boy.

‹ Previous | 1 2 318 | Next ›