Discuss Episode One of "Downward-Facing Death"

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 44 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 25, 2012 11:58:03 AM PDT
What did you think about episode one of "Downward-Facing Death"?

Posted on Sep 7, 2012 10:12:56 AM PDT
Neal Pollack says:
I am the author of this fine work of fiction. Ask me anything.

Posted on Sep 7, 2012 4:00:33 PM PDT
Okay, Neal, I'm game. How did you get this sweet gig?

LOL. Just kidding. Sort of.

How much of the series is fleshed out already, and how much do you expect to be influenced by reader input along the way?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2012 5:11:13 PM PDT
Neal Pollack says:
Hi, S.W. I got the gig because Thomas & Mercer picked my previous novel, Jewball, off the KDP self-publishing pile, and we all got along. My editor asked me if I wanted to be part of this pilot program. I saw the potential and said yes immediately.

As for your second question, I've written half the book thus far, and more or less know where I'm going with the story. So there's some room for reader input, but not much. I'm more interested in this forum as a way to communicate directly with readers, to hear their intelligent opinions, and to answer their questions about the writing process. That said, I welcome constructive criticism, will take seriously all good ideas, and look forward to seeing what emerges.

Posted on Sep 7, 2012 5:31:46 PM PDT
Cheers, Neal. I wish you the best of luck. Being able to engage with readers while a story is being created is a rare treat.

Posted on Sep 7, 2012 6:26:03 PM PDT
oliver says:
Just for you granting this much attention to your readers, am getting the book and intend to follow the series and see where it goes...

Posted on Sep 7, 2012 8:02:15 PM PDT
Neal Pollack says:
Thank you, gentlemen. I am also available for light housecleaning.

Posted on Sep 7, 2012 8:14:48 PM PDT
You clean lighthouses too?
Bu dum bum.

Posted on Sep 9, 2012 1:26:13 PM PDT
JFB says:
Why does it say "Pricing information not available" instead of having a price? And the order button is missing.

Posted on Sep 9, 2012 3:12:30 PM PDT
Neal Pollack says:
JFB: Are you in Canada, perhaps?

Posted on Sep 9, 2012 4:11:54 PM PDT
I like Neal Pollack's stuff but I'm not so sure I'm willing to plop down an "estimated" $12 to read the book.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2012 4:21:50 PM PDT
Neal Pollack says:
C:

It's not $12. It's $1.99 for the subscription, and then they deliver you each individual episode as they appear. You don't have to pay for successive installments.

Posted on Sep 9, 2012 4:22:41 PM PDT
Neal Pollack says:
For that price, why not take the risk?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2012 10:23:34 PM PDT
I see the same thing.
Is it available only for US customers??

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2012 10:24:11 PM PDT
Is it available only for US customers??

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2012 11:15:12 PM PDT
Neal Pollack says:
Elena:

Yes, unfortunately it's only available in the U.S. at the moment. I'm sure Amazon will open it up, but I don't know when.

Posted on Sep 14, 2012 11:55:32 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Sep 14, 2012 11:55:52 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2012 11:56:50 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Sep 14, 2012 11:58:40 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2012 12:01:24 AM PDT
Um, at that price I will definitely order it! I missed the part about the following episodes being delivered at no cost. That makes all the difference in the world--this is a bargain. I have enough faith in your writing chops to plop down $2 any day! (And, to be clear, I just have an issue with ebooks costing as much or more than print versions. It would be one thing if the author was actually getting all the money, but, of course, you're not.)

Posted on Sep 15, 2012 2:51:28 PM PDT
Neal Pollack says:
Thank you! I have the same issue with the price of ebooks. That's why, even though I have to sell this book in serious bulk to make any real money off it, I think it's the right thing to do.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2012 3:59:25 PM PDT
Neil, I share your views on serials and I embraced Amazon's new program for the same reasons. Kindle Serials are not for everyone, I totally get that. Metaphorically, a serial novel is kinda like a glass of wine. If people can get into the "spirit" of cliff-hanger serials and understand they're episodic, like TV serials, I think people will enjoy the experience. Of course, anyone who buys them certainly has the option to wait until all the episodes are delivered, but I'd be willing to bet they'll sneak a peek along the way!

Posted on Sep 19, 2012 9:07:03 PM PDT
Neal Pollack says:
Thanks, Andrew. It seems to be going well thus far!

Posted on Sep 20, 2012 11:53:37 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 20, 2012 8:26:48 PM PDT
any word on the next release? I made the mistake of reading the first installment in one sitting, now I'm syncing my kindle every three seconds hoping something will show up.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 20, 2012 12:07:36 PM PDT
Neal Pollack says:
You'll get an email, D.R., every time a new installment is posted. The next one should be ready in a couple of weeks. Thanks for reading it!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 20, 2012 12:31:22 PM PDT
Thanks for your speedy response, I am going to check out more of your work, it suits my interest.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  15
Total posts:  44
Initial post:  Aug 25, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 28, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 9 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Downward-Facing Death (A Matt Bolster Yoga Mystery Book 1)
Downward-Facing Death (A Matt Bolster Yoga Mystery Book 1) by Neal Pollack
3.5 out of 5 stars   (125)