Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Maxwell Fire TV Stick Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

on November 6, 2013
Excellent information presented in a clear way. This book confirmed a lot of what I already knew, but it also provided explanations for a number of things I didn't know or didn't completely understand . The most important thing about the book is that it provides a number of actionable concepts that can and will help people lose weight and live better. In the current healthcare environment, we all have to start doing that.
on November 26, 2013
Useful and reaffirming

Some of the information is already known, but it doesn't hurt to hear it again. Some very good tips on managing what you put in your mouth and gives hope that you can effect your own health by changing bad habits.
on October 25, 2013
The knowledge that we create (or perhaps waste) our health is perhaps the most important self-knowledge we can have.
Dr. Katz does a great job of laying out the basic fact that medicine can sometimes cure us, but only we ourselves can make and keep us healthy.
Don Fitch, WellBeingSkills.com
on March 10, 2015
This is an amazing book. It brings together many facets of preventative health care and presents them in a unified way that makes incorporating life-style changes into one's daily routine an easy and sensible task. To me, this book is one of those one-in-a-million encounters. I will be referring to this book time and time again as I journey towards optimal health.
on October 10, 2013
This is not a book. It's life changer.

It's the first valuable guide and tool you can easily read, put into practice, and work toward extending & revitalizing your life one step at a time.

In this 'guide to longevity' Dr. David L. Katz tackles one of the most critical issues of our time (obesity & related chronic diseases) head on. While addressing the solution with simple, actionable words for the world to read and practice.

I also liked the fact that his findings were backed by sound/verifiable research and did not lean, favor or promote any specific diet. This is huge because it shows that his intentions are simply to get more people to eat better, stay active, quit smoking and maintain a healthy weight. That's it! His prescription is a healthy dose of fresh foods, a little bit of motion & some fresh air! What could be more reassuring than to hear this from an expert physician who's clearly done his homework?

As the founder of nutritional wellness company, I am ecstatic of the potential impact this simple tool can have in many of our communities, workplaces, organizations & more...

Thank you for writing this important chapter in my life.

Sincerely,

Anthony Ortiz
founder + ceo
Fitly
[...]
on October 3, 2013
No one has to be told that our health-care system is broken and if we rely on our doctors to keep us healthy, we're in real trouble. Dr. Katz says it clearly and in no uncertain terms: "The system in place is a 'disease care system,'not a health-care system. Disease care is important when you are sick and in need of treatment. But only rarely are professional clinical services actually related to the promotion of health. That power resides almost entirely with you."

The real value of the book lies in its ability to empower us with the information we need to prevent disease and the tools we need to put what we know into practice.

I recently saw my family doctor for my regular health-check up. I was concerned, like many men, about preventing prostate cancer and asked about the latest tests for early detection. He surprised me with what he said. "You can spend a lot of time and energy trying to detect cancer early, or you can prevent it all together." He suggested I buy Disease Proof and change my diet.

I learned right away about the research that demonstrates that there are a few things that are within our control that could reduce the risk of all chronic disease by 80%.

Again Dr. Katz summarizes the findings in easy to manage bite-sized chunks of useful information: "There is now abundant evidence that getting just 4 things right--not smoking, maintaining a healthy weight, being active, and eating well-- will keep us healthy."

I was greatly encouraged. I don't smoke and I'm active in sports (and Zumba classes three times a week). I learned that being active and eating well would enable me to lose weight, so I really needed to concentrate on eating well.

I'm a health-care professional and thought I knew everything I needed to know about eating well. But there were new things to learn and, more importantly, Dr. Katz offers very effective and practical tools, for putting into practice what we've learned.

I've been using them and have lost 15 pounds over the last 6 weeks. And I've been actually eating more life-preserving foods and enjoying what I eat.

This book is a game-changer. I highly recommend it.
on October 14, 2013
Dr. David L. Katz is on my short list of best doctors in the world. I am proud to call him a colleague and privileged to call him a friend. His articles and books are informed and insightful; his passion and his productivity are staggering. "Disease Proof" is my new, go-to book that I recommend to my patients...do yourself a favor and buy this book right now. Then read it and do what the good doctor says.
on February 4, 2014
good advice, but you have to wade through a lot of relative useless (my opinion) commentary to get to the useful stuff.
This is great 100 page book hiding in 258 pages. Worth reading though.
on June 19, 2014
This is a great book for anyone wanting to learn more about nutrition. Dr. Katz is good at explaining complex information in everyday language. For those wanting to improve their nutrition or those wanting to lose weight, he gives step by step instructions and skill-building exercises.
on May 18, 2015
Finally, a book on health that isn't full of whatever silly info is trendy. This is no-nonsense and has lots of unbiased sources to back it up. Basically, it isn't rocket science: if you want to be healthy, you need to eat healthy, be active, and stop smoking, but the book has a lot of good tips and is motivational and easy to read. I had to read this in nursing school and am already familiar with most of the concepts, but still found it to be helpful. This is a great book to pick up, whether you are new to health promotion or realizing there is room for improvement.