5.0 out of 5 stars The one book every parent needs to read
Published on October 9, 2005 by Howard Jacobson, PhD

2.0 out of 5 stars Know what you're buying
Published on December 5, 2011 by Sophie P

5.0 out of 5 stars The one book every parent needs to read, October 9, 2005
Disease-Proof Your Child does two things no other book has ever done. First, it clearly and persuasively presents scientific research that shows what our children eat now will more or less determine their risk of developing cancer and other killer diseases as adults. After reading the first few pages, you will never again view sodas, donuts, fries, pizzas, candies and other "All-American" junk foods as innocent again.

Allowing and encouraging our kids to eat this garbage on a regular basis is excusable only when we don't know what we're doing. Now that Dr. Fuhrman has exposed the truth - we can cause or prevent 99% of all diseases by what we eat - no parent who reads this book will be able to allow their child to develop "cancer on the installment plan" through malnutrition. And if you're not into long-term thinking, Dr. Fuhrman also demonstrates the link between the Standard American Diet and the national epidemics of childhood asthma, ear infections, colds, flus, and allergies.

So a warning: do not buy this book unless you're willing to exert your responsibility to protect your children. If you read it and do nothing, you'll go through hell as you watch your kids poisoning themselves with their favorite addictive substances and starving their immune systems by not eating nutrient rich foods.

Which brings me to the second thing this book does that no other has: it provides tools and a roadmap and a philosophy for transitioning your family to a healthy diet. Remember paint by numbers? This is the diet transition equivalent. From practical ideas (the "refigerator advertisements" is a wonderful example) to over 50 recipes ("string beans and almost dust" will blow you away with its simplicity and how much your kids will love it) to lists of delicious "non-recipe snacks" that ensure you'll always have healthy alternatives to junk fod - Disease-Proof Your Child is a well-written and well thought out "operations manual" to your most important job as a parent: setting your child up for a lifetime of health and happiness.

In Disease-Proof Your Child, Dr. Fuhrman explains:

- how to prepare your home for eating healthfully before making the shift

- why "three meals a day" is a recipe for failure when it comes to feeding kids right

- why focusing on quality, not quantity, is the key to healthy eating

- why "consistent but not perfect" is more effective than 100% "compliance"

- when and where it's OK to compromise

- how to teach your kids never to "diet"

- how to reform the picky eater

Dr. Fuhrman is not an armchair researcher. He runs a family practice, and offers many case studies that show exactly how families transitioned successfully to a healthy diet - even when both parents thought their child's eating habits were a lost cause.

After reading the first half of the book, you will be shocked, angry, and motivated like crazy to do something to save your kids from a lifetime of obesity and disease. The second half of the book, the solution, is going to get dog-eared and underlined and photocopied and food-spattered. You're going to want to recommend it to your friends, mostly because you won't be able to part with your own copy. I already find I need two - one for my study and another for the cookbook shelf.

There are few books ever written that have to potential to have such a huge positive impact on the well-being of your family. Is it easy to put this into practice? Not at first. But is it worth it? Try the following thought experiment:

It's 35 years from now. Your child is a grownup, with a kid in elementary school and another in high school. You get to choose one of the following scenarios: a) your child is a healthy and vibrant adult, at the prime of life; or b) your child has just been diagnosed with cancer, possibly fatal within 3 years.

I know that's stark. But the links between what we feed our kids now and their health as adults are that real. Try the thought experiment for 2 minutes and see what moves within you.

If you're not able to link current behavior with the long-term future, here's another experiment:

What if you were able to prevent most of the ear infections, allergies, colds, feveres, and severe asthma attacks that your child gets on a regular basis? The long nights up with a crying child, the endless trips to the doctor for another round of antibiotics, the missed events, the feelings of "when will they outgrow it"? That's a real outcome too.

Please - as a health educator, as a parent, as someone who cares about the world we're sending our kids into - I urge you to get and study this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Children aren't responsible for poor food choices--their parent's are.", March 17, 2007
This review is from: Disease-Proof Your Child: Feeding Kids Right (Paperback)
This book should be required reading for everyone who has a child (or one on the way) or who works with children. Rather than pumping our children up with sugar, toxins, carcinogens and frankenfood and then medicating them for the side effects, why not just feed them what nature intended and watch them thrive. Behavioral issues as well as serious health concerns can be resolved, alleviated, or completely avoided with a few lifestyle adjustments.

Dr. Fuhrman drives home an important point: it's one thing to trash your own health with poor choices, but it's irresponsible to trash the health of trusting children.

The tone of the book is not scolding however, just direct. In fact when he's done explaining the consequences of poor food choices (diabetes, heart disease, cancer, etc.), he comes accross very upbeat and and encouraging with ideas for coping with the bombardment of toxic food out there. He also has great suggestions for meals and treats.

Forget about what one reviewer said about nut allergies. This book not only has alternatives for eating nuts, but offers suggestions to help Prevent nut allergies. I also don't agree with the person who says it's "difficult". It's very simple and straightforward and really the only thing making it difficult is lack of education, unscrupulous marketing techniques, and the limiting belief that children won't eat healthy food.

This is a book full of hope and an important work. At long last, an MD is addressing children's diets in a real way. Two books that go along quite nicely with this one is THE CHINA STUDY by Campbell and GREEN FOR LIFE by Boutenko. The former illustrates in great detail with hard evidence why a vegan diet is necessary and the later focuses on greens. GFL gave me the idea for green smoothies (example: bannanas and greens such as kale or swiss chard) which are a fantastic way of getting the daily comsumption of greens Dr. Fuhrman recommends. I have never been a fan of Kale, but you honestly cannot even taste it when prepared this way and kids Love it! You will need a high powered blender for this (Fuhrman recommends Vitamix, but I prefer the Blendtec) which is expensive, but worth every penny. In the end, this diet is way cheaper than the standard American diet (SAD).

This book is the real thing, nothing gimmicky at all. Read it and thrive!

5.0 out of 5 stars Spread the Word!, December 30, 2006
This review is from: Disease-Proof Your Child: Feeding Kids Right (Paperback)
It is books like this one that fuel revolutions. Our society, now facing a frightening cancer and heart-disease epidemic, is hearing information from all sorts of "reliable" sources on how to find a solution, none of which seem to be working. Hospitals continue to overflow with disease-stricken patients (many of whom, unfortunately, are poorly-nourished children) who could have avoided medical intervention through better nutritional choices. We are blessed to live in a world where we can decide what kinds of food we put in our bodies; why do people keep bringing food into their homes that cause such harm to their families?! Our children are depending on us to provide them with food that fuels a healthy immune system so they have a chance at a disease-free and enjoyable life. You owe it to your family to read this book right away.

Our health-conscious and educated family has always been open to various alternative "remedies", but we have often felt confused as to whether they were helping promote our family's core health or if these approaches were just addressing the symptoms. Dr. Fuhrman goes STRAIGHT to the core of our health. "Remedies" are not necessary in our lives if we build a solid foundation for our body's immune system from the get go. This book explains, in a no-nonsense manner, how to do this through nutritional excellence.

I thought our family ate well. In comparison to most families, I'm sure we did. I still felt that there was room for improvement. I bought this book when my son became a toddler and wanted to drink things in addition to breast milk. We were told by nutritionists and doctors to "feed him whole milk, melt butter and cheese on everything he eats, feed him meat, and give him peanut butter" to "get his weight up". My instincts instantly screamed at me to research this because it felt wrong to me. I never thought the word "vegan" would have a place in our home, but after reading this book, we are now near-vegan, consuming mainly plant-based foods. We have totally eliminated dairy and sugar (except naturally occurring sugars found in fruit and dates). We still eat eggs and small portions of meat and fish on occasion.

If this type of diet sounds extreme to you, as it did to us, don't let it deter you from reading this book. If anything can convince and assist you in changing unhealthy eating habits or to revise semi-healthy eating habits, this book can. If you want to spend more time with your family free from illness and disease, read this book. If you want your children to use their bodies sand brains to their full potential, read this book. If you want to prevent or cure ear infections, ADHD, or cancer read this book. It is a quick and easy read but is packed full of information covering nearly every aspect of nutrition I wanted to learn about. It provides simple to follow plans to rid your home of junk food and recipes that will make your family squeal in delight.

This book is extremely well researched, drawing clear and precise conclusions supported by up-to-date scientific studies. It gave my husband and I ammunition to stand up to other family members who believed that children can't receive proper nutrients/fats without animal products in their diet. This book has inspired me to start studies to be a Nutritionist. Nutritional excellence truly is the key to better health and longevity. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars So you think your kids will make good decisions about food when they're older?, October 26, 2005
... Unfortunately, that's not how it works after their taste buds are now addicted to nutrient poor, super stimulating foods that haven't provided the nutrients they've needed, but haven't gotten, for likely some time.

When they try to eat better "Nutrient Rich" foods, especially the way most parents serve them in the typical "eat your veggies", "side dish" kind of way, what would normally be great tasting, nourishing, fulfilling and make them feel great with a smile on their face, tastes bland compared to the junk they've been eating; junk that's "designed" to make food addicts out of them. When this is the case, they rarely break out of poor eating patterns on their own.

Dr Fuhrman hits the mark with Disease Proof Your Child, and your childs health depends on you reading it and "getting", that you are literally setting your kids up for health, success and sustainability or, disease, failure and a life cut short, each and every time you feed them. It's a cumulative thing.

Dr Fuhrman not only explains the basic science confirming "why" you want to feed your kids Nutrient Rich foods in great tasting ways, but he also explains how. And when it comes to eating better and kids, "how", is everything. Starting with his 50 kid-tested and proven recipes, this book is a big deal.

Dr Fuhrman is America's Doctor, because first and foremost he has your best interests at heart. He is in the business of getting you well. With all the competing interests promoting foods that do the opposite, I don't think he'll run out of customers any time soon, but make sure you and your kids are his customers so that you don't have consider yourselves part of the ever-growing statistics on overweight, obesity and sickness.

The statistics are getting crazier by the day and all it takes, first and foremost, is ensuring they get better quality food, rich in the nutrients they need to succeed, and without all the crap that doesn't serve them.

Today's Kids, perhaps your kids right now, are toxifying their undernourished, getting-more-unhealthy-by-the-day bodies, and their bodies are waiting for the opportunity to clean up and get healthy once again. But they need your help.

And you need help to. That's why Dr Fuhrman is here. We all need to get re-educated and shed most of what we've learned about eating in the past 50 years.

I can't recommend anyone better for the job, of steering you and your family in the right direction. He is the real deal, a successful family man of four with a dog, leading physician, world champion athlete, and successful businessman, in part because he eats to live well and boy does he live well.

With great tasting food he and his family enjoys day in and day out they live free of disease and feeling powerful to pursue their interests. He wants the same for you and your family and he can show you how.

Help yourself in the process and make it a family affair. You need to disease proof your kids at a time when what they eat is going to set the trend for their life. Their taste buds, and their desires are being built right now, and it will show in their weight and health, if not already, in the very near future.

Are you setting your kids up for success, or failure? Are they eating foods that are promoting their health or disease?

Read this book, its worth is weight in your child's well being.

Don't read it and let your child make the decision to eat better when they're older and by then it may be too late.

Read it and disease proof your child, bring their taste buds back to earth, nourish and protect their bodies and set them up for success, moving forward.

If you could accomplish all this, and enable them to look better, feel better and perform better, while they enjoy great tasting foods, that you'll love too, would you do it?

Then do it!

All my best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally!!, August 1, 2005
..That is all I can say.. I was so excited to receive your book today! You are an amazing man and I thank you so much for somehow finding the time to write this!
"Disease-Proof Your Child" shares with us the wisdom and knowledge we need to make the right decisions in our children's lives and future health. I LOVE IT! There is SO much fascinating information in this book. The RIGHT information finally! From vitamins... to supplements... to foods... to understanding causes of illness and disease.... I couldn't stop reading and learning.. It is all written in your easy to read and understand manner. You truly want to give us the tools and knowledge we need to make informed decisions about our own as well as our families health. I only wish this book were available years ago!! We really are what we eat and unfortunately lots of us are paying the price for what we ate when we were young. We (and our parents) did not have the right information. Now, thanks to Dr. Fuhrman, we do and children who are lucky enough to have a parent who learns this way of eating and living will not have to suffer from many of the health issues so many of us are trying to undo!
If you are pregnant or planning to be or are a parent who wants to get off the cycle of ear infection...Dr visit...prescription..ear infection..Dr visit etc.... or have a child diagnosed with ADHD and you want alternatives to drugs or you want to prevent illness or you have a child who is a picky eater and need help getting them to like good healthy food this book shows you the way. Dr Fuhrman also shares advice on pregnancy, nursing, hormones, pesticides, antibiotic use, foods to avoid (at least) until first birthday, his ten super foods to use in menu planning, making over your kitchen...school lunch tips...and more! Even if you don't have children you can benefit from all the well researched nutritional knowledge this book contains. Thank you Dr. Fuhrman for all the hard work and time you put into this latest accomplishment. I am so grateful to you!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Greatest Diet on Earth, March 17, 2006
This is one book that no parent(s) or "potential" parent(s) should be without. It talks about "to be" mothers and the foods they eat can affect their childs development before they are even conceived.

Visit DrFuhrman.com and DiseaseProof.com for tons of recipes and podcasts on how to feed your children.

I have recommended this book more than any other book in my life, well maybe Eat To Live (Dr. Fuhrman's weight loss book) gets a fair share of recommendationos as well.

This book is the fountain of youth everyone is looking for, give your children the best possible chance to have a disease free life. It also talks about how children that are breast fed longer (1-2 years) tend to have higher IQ scores in studies.

One thing about Dr. Fuhrman is that he is a Medical Doctor (not a nutritionist) and he has 4 kids of his own and he has read and reviewed over 60,000 medical studies. he bases everything off of solid facts/studies. He does not favor just one study, he makes sure lots of studies agree on something, so there will be no science fiction in this book, everything is heavily referenced in his books.

You must read this book, I personally gaurantee you will buy more than one copy it is such a great book!!

5.0 out of 5 stars very informative, September 30, 2005
I have found this book to be very informative. We are a vegetarian family and I have always wondered if my daughter is getting what she needs from her diet. Not only did he confirm the fact that she/we can be healthy as vegetarians he gave wonderful tips and recipes as well. I feel very comfortable with his recommendations and feel the book was very well done. It's one of those books that I want to read again and I'm excited to try more of the recipes!

2.0 out of 5 stars Know what you're buying, December 5, 2011
Sophie P (New York, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Disease-Proof Your Child: Feeding Kids Right (Paperback)
I'm sorry that I wasted my money on this book. Had I known how extreme his diet advice is -- no salt, no oil, no cooking except at low temperatures, animal products limited to a couple oz of chicken breast and an egg per week -- I wouldn't have bought it. I'm all for healthy eating (all of the food recommendations are things we have in our refrigerator and eat regularly). And I know how diet can radically improve health (our 2-year old had always had asthma symptoms and was diagnosed with asthma -- all symptoms ended when we took him off all dairy products and gave him a strong probiotic.) We feed our children whole foods with an emphasis on fruits, vegetables & whole grains as well as wild caught fish and pasture raised meats. I was hoping for some good ideas for recipes that would appeal to young children and menu planning. I guess I just don't believe that it's necessary to go to these lengths for good health.

My 3 problems with the book:

I'm really tired of very extreme diet advice. I always go back to the way people have been eating across the globe for the last few thousand years. Most cultures have traditionally cooked their food (there's a sentence in the book that says to throw out any food that has developed a golden or brown color from cooking.) Most cultures have traditionally used oil and salt in cooking. Most cultures have traditionally eaten some fish and meat. The diseases discussed in the book are new or much more prevalent in the U.S. in the past 30 years or so. Most of all, I am completely suspect of "experts" who denigrate all animal product consumption based on the problems of modern U.S. factory farming. It is disingenuous to condemn meat due to presence of antibiotics, growth hormones, bad Omega 6 to Omega 3 ratios etc. None of these things are a problem in pasture raised animals (how animals have been traditionally raised.)

I don't believe what he says about toddlers magically loving vegetables if presented in the right way. He has a big thing about not forcing any food on a child - just present healthful options and they will choose the right one. If left to their own food preferences, my toddlers would only eat nut butter sandwiches and fruit. They have been exposed to every possible kale preparation since babyhood and I can honestly report that it is not one of their favorite foods. They love hummus & bean dips but they will always choose the bread and not the steamed or raw vegetables for dipping. I bought this book to find better ways to increase vegetable intake. Blithe statements about his children loving raw string beans and kale in a particular sauce are not helpful.

Lastly, his recipes are really unappetizing. In most cultures, having a starting point of no oil, no animal products, no salt and little cooking would eliminate how flavors are developed and how food is made to taste good. He compounds the problem by having a bit of a sweet tooth. Most of the recipes feature a really sweet dried fruit. For example a "Cabbage Raisin Soup" with lemon juice, onions, split peas, pearl barley, cabbage, raisins, walnuts, soy milk, apple juice, carrots, oregano & dehydrated vegetable soup mix. It's a particular palate that wants a cup of raisins + 2 cups of apple juice with their cabbage, split pea, barley soup. If you have that palate and you want new recipes you should buy this book. Otherwise, you might want to give a miss to flavor combinations like dried peaches, fresh peaches, lentils, onions, leeks, carrots & spinach.

5.0 out of 5 stars Educational if you aren't a pediatrician..., September 7, 2010
This review is from: Disease-Proof Your Child: Feeding Kids Right (Paperback)
...which my husband happens to be and it's difficult having conversations with him when I don't really know what I'm talking about. And nutrition just happens to be one of the areas that, thanks to Dr Fuhrman, I can now have a coherent conversation with my pediatrician husband. Like stated in the book, doctors are rarely given a thorough education concerning nutrition, and I have always been appalled at this fact. Especially given the amount of money we paid to the med school and such a crucial part of his education was left out (well, in my opinion, that is). This is an excellent book, but as my husband stated, if you are looking for an easy route... this book isn't for you. If you are willing to overhaul your life for the sake of your child, then by all means, get this book! Eat to Live (a previous book by Dr Fuhrman) changed my life and now this book has changed my children's future.

By the way: I have two girls (1yr and 3yrs) and they both eat the things suggested in this book without complaint. The food prep can be time consuming, but what isn't compared to popping something frozen into the microwave or oven? It's worth it, my girls are healthy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Hardcore yet sound advice, March 21, 2011
This review is from: Disease-Proof Your Child: Feeding Kids Right (Paperback)
I am the mom of an 8-month-old and I turned to this book for advice on how to feed her. I am an omnivore, but I have cut back on meat and dairy consumption in the past few years for health reasons after reading some vegan and vegetarian blogs. I read about this book on one of the blogs.

I read the book with the sinking realization that Dr. Fuhrman was advocating, ideally, a vegan diet for our family. I say "sinking" because I don't think our family will ever be able to go that far as to cut out all meat and dairy. Still, the doctor makes a highly convincing case for cutting way back on dairy and meat, and increasing consumption of veggies/fruit/nuts/beans/whole grains. I thought it was funny that Dr. Fuhrman seemed to avoid the terms "vegetarian" and "vegan" as much as possible and instead replaced them with his term "nutritional excellence." I can only assume that lots of people have negative reactions to the idea of becoming vegetarian or vegan, and so he has adjusted his terminology, which makes sense.

Dr. Fuhrman nicely synthesizes convincing evidence on the link between disease and poor nutrition. The book convinced me to make a concerted effort to reduce the meat and dairy in our home. I appreciated that Dr. Fuhrman conceded that there is no evidence of a health benefit of being totally vegan versus eating very small amounts of meat and dairy. I think you have to be a real zealot about health to make the effort to follow a totally vegan diet, but there is enough here to convince those of us who aren't quite as disciplined to make an extra effort to cook healthier for our families, and he tells us how.

The one thing I didn't like about the book were the recipes. I love veggies, fruit, etc., but many of his recipes sounded truly disgusting! Cabbage raisin soup? Chocolatey lentils? Tofu pizza slices (ingredients: tofu and tomato sauce)? Bleh. On a daily basis I read vegan blogs that have MUCH more appealing recipes that make even more use of fresh veggies and fruit. Oddly, the doctor recommends dried soup mixes and dried spices like Mrs. Dash. And he has many recipes that involve soaking dried fruit in soy milk, and lots of soy milk recipes in general. I am not convinced that soy milk is a healthy substitute for cow's milk because of the estrogenic properties of soy. The recipes seemed like updated versions of 1950s cooking--yuck. He says the recipes have been tested on kids, so I can't argue with that, but I would not try most of these.

I also would have appreciated more advice on feeding babies through age two, such as ways to get necessary fat into the diets of weaned older babies who aren't eating dairy and who can't yet eat nuts.

These reservations aside, this book is a wake-up call for parents to clean up their cooking and take charge of the kitchen.

My review is really 3 1/2 stars, not 4.

Disease-Proof Your Child: Feeding Kids Right
Disease-Proof Your Child: Feeding Kids Right by Joel Fuhrman (Paperback - September 5, 2006)
$16.99 $12.14